Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #1801 of 1828 Old 01-20-2019, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My Sony UBP-X800 player is stuck on muting.
How do I disengage it?
I want to watch movies late at night, while wearing headphones.
But my player is stuck on muting.
Repeatedly pressing the mute button, on the remote control, does nothing.

ViewSonic PX727-4K UHD DLP Projector
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X (9 Channel) Receiver
Pioneer Floor Standing Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4 and Crowson Tactile Transducers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1828 Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
My Sony UBP-X800 player is stuck on muting.
How do I disengage it?
I want to watch movies late at night, while wearing headphones.
But my player is stuck on muting.
Repeatedly pressing the mute button, on the remote control, does nothing.
The mute button on the Sony remote would control whatever TV you programmed it to control as shown on page 10 of the manual:
https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4687309111.pdf
If your headphones are not plugged into your TV, those buttons will have no effect on your headphone volume.

If your headphones are plugged into your AVR, use the AVR remote to control the volume.

See page 18 for using OPTIONS to control bluetooth volume if you're using bluetooth headphones.
post #1803 of 1828 Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dialague too Quiet - Sounds Effects too Loud

Hello,

I recently purchased the Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-56700. This issue I'm having is the dialogue is very hard to hear, so I turn up the volume, but then, the other sound effects are far too loud, so I turn the volume down, but I have trouble hearing the dialogue again. I am trying to figure out what audio setting(s) will help solve this problem, so I don't have to adjust the volume during the whole movie. My main uses are streaming Amazon Prime movies as well as watching Blu-ray discs and DVD's. I use the Digital Out (Coaxial) cable that goes in to my Yahama HTR-5940 receiver. Please see the attached screen shot of my audio setting options for the player. Thanks ahead of time for the expert advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blu-ray Audio Settings.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2522662  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1828 Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbtexas4 View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased the Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-56700. This issue I'm having is the dialogue is very hard to hear, so I turn up the volume, but then, the other sound effects are far too loud, so I turn the volume down, but I have trouble hearing the dialogue again. I am trying to figure out what audio setting(s) will help solve this problem, so I don't have to adjust the volume during the whole movie. My main uses are streaming Amazon Prime movies as well as watching Blu-ray discs and DVD's. I use the Digital Out (Coaxial) cable that goes in to my Yahama HTR-5940 receiver. Please see the attached screen shot of my audio setting options for the player. Thanks ahead of time for the expert advice!
This problem is designed into the soundtrack of the video that you're watching. You have to compensate for it in your receiver. You can either turn up the sound level of your center-channel speaker (where most dialog is) and then turn down the over-all volume control, or you can turn on the receiver's "night listening mode" feature. This feature boots quiet audio (like dialog) while dampening loud audio (like sound effects). For details, see page 32 of your receiver's owner's manual, which can be downloaded from https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...m_htr-5940.pdf

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1805 of 1828 Old 02-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbtexas4 View Post
Hello,

Turn BD Audio Mix OFF.
post #1806 of 1828 Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 42
blu-ray audio vs UHD audio

Hi all, i'm not sure if I have the right forum. Is the audio on blu-ray discs and UHD discs the same? or is it higher definition on UHD discs?

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.jvpix.com
post #1807 of 1828 Old 03-07-2019, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 506
In general, it's the same.

However, a trend is often the Blu-Ray has regular 7.1 audio while the UHD BD has Dolby Atmos audio. If you don't care about Atmos, then they're effectively the same. If you do, then you need to invest in a UHD player (they can downscale to 1080p if that's all you have).
post #1808 of 1828 Old 03-07-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 42
ok thanks.

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.jvpix.com
post #1809 of 1828 Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic DP-UB420EBK Bluray Yamaha RX-V479

Hi guys, newbie member so please go easy. I recently purchased the Panasonic DP-UB420EBK BLURAY player, plugged it in to my Yamaha receiver, I'm not getting any sound whatsoever out of the TV speakers, I don't have any surround speakers set up yet, I've messed around with the settings but nothing. My receiver is connected to my television via an Atlona HDBaseT device, all other devices connected to the receiver transmit sound perfectly but nothing from the Bluray, I have connected the Bluray player directly to the TV and sound is perfect so there is definitely an issue when connecting via the receiver. The television is also a Panasonic TX-75EX750B. The Bluray player has 2 hdmi ports one is Video and Audio and the other is Audio only. If anyone could shed any light I would be eternally grateful it is really doing my brain in.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #1810 of 1828 Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas_dj View Post
Hi guys, newbie member so please go easy. I recently purchased the Panasonic DP-UB420EBK BLURAY player, plugged it in to my Yamaha receiver, I'm not getting any sound whatsoever out of the TV speakers, I don't have any surround speakers set up yet, I've messed around with the settings but nothing. My receiver is connected to my television via an Atlona HDBaseT device, all other devices connected to the receiver transmit sound perfectly but nothing from the Bluray, I have connected the Bluray player directly to the TV and sound is perfect so there is definitely an issue when connecting via the receiver. The television is also a Panasonic TX-75EX750B. The Bluray player has 2 hdmi ports one is Video and Audio and the other is Audio only. If anyone could shed any light I would be eternally grateful it is really doing my brain in.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
You need to post your question in the thread associated with your specific Yamaha receiver model, which you don't mention. However, similar problems often are caused by using inadequate HDMI cables. The cable from your BD player to your receiver must be "Certified Premium". Standard "High Speed" cables are insufficient for 4K signals.

This thread is for discussing how to choose a 1080p Blu-ray player. How to choose a 4K UHD Blu-ray player is discussed in the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...er-thread.html
midas_dj likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1811 of 1828 Old 03-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Confused about Codecs - Downmix to DD5.1/DTS/PCM

Reposting as I didn't see the note about putting audio questions here.

I ran into the first situation where I got a Blu-Ray that did not have an option to output DD5.1, DTS OR PCM to my Anthem D2 5.1 system. The Anthem is old, but only does DD5.1 / DTS. So any new stuff that isn't dd5.1 or DTS is downconverted from my Panasonic DMP-BD85 blu-ray to PCM which has been fine. The GREEN BOOK blu-ray offered only ATMOS and no PCM option, so I watched it in French with DD5.1 and subtitles. There was no other English soundtrack on the disc.

So I need help undestanding my options, assuming this might be the future of codecs on blu-rays. If I upgrade the blu-ray player to a current model, will it do a the job of decoding/downmixing. say ATMOS to DD5.1 or DTS? Or will I have to update the Anthem as well, which I really don't want to do. Will blu-ray players do this for current codecs? I'm trying to "future proof" as much as I can w/o spending a ton.

OR - just thinking about it now that I wrote this - did I have a PCM track, but had to switch the player to output that to the Anthem manually, and it was there after all?

Thanks!
post #1812 of 1828 Old 03-30-2019, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The player should be able to read the "core" data and send it on. So if you have a Dolby Digital TrueHD soundtrack, the player can extract the core Dolby digital track and play it in 5.1. Same for DTS-HD Master Audio, the player can extract the DTS core track for playback.

About the only issue might be the bitrate might be higher than what your receiver is capable of since it exceeds the 640kbps of DVD for Dolby digital and 1.5Mbps for DTS.

You can test it today since all players have had this capability since the beginning.

Atmos is an extended form of TrueHD.
post #1813 of 1828 Old 03-30-2019, 07:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked: 8236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy999 View Post
Reposting as I didn't see the note about putting audio questions here.

I ran into the first situation where I got a Blu-Ray that did not have an option to output DD5.1, DTS OR PCM to my Anthem D2 5.1 system. The Anthem is old, but only does DD5.1 / DTS. So any new stuff that isn't dd5.1 or DTS is downconverted from my Panasonic DMP-BD85 blu-ray to PCM which has been fine. The GREEN BOOK blu-ray offered only ATMOS and no PCM option, so I watched it in French with DD5.1 and subtitles. There was no other English soundtrack on the disc.

So I need help undestanding my options, assuming this might be the future of codecs on blu-rays. If I upgrade the blu-ray player to a current model, will it do a the job of decoding/downmixing. say ATMOS to DD5.1 or DTS? Or will I have to update the Anthem as well, which I really don't want to do. Will blu-ray players do this for current codecs? I'm trying to "future proof" as much as I can w/o spending a ton.

OR - just thinking about it now that I wrote this - did I have a PCM track, but had to switch the player to output that to the Anthem manually, and it was there after all?

Thanks!
Selection of Bitstream vs LPCM output when you have told the disc to play a Bitstream track and the player to use Bitstream output should be automatic in the player -- part of the "HDMI handshake" which negotiates the format to send across the HDMI cable according to what the source device is playing and the receiving device can handle. Similarly, down mix of tracks with more than 5.1 channels of content to 5.1 should also happen automatically in the source player if the receiving device can't handle that larger number of channels. Again part of that automatic handshake. Lastly, the "lossless" Bitstream formats (e.g., Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) are always paired on disc with a "compatibility" track -- DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 -- in case you aren't connecting to a device which can accept the full TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstream. And once again, the player automatically selects to send the compatibility Bitstream track, instead of the original lossless Bitstream, whenever that is necessary.

An Atmos track is actually a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track with extra data (for the expected Height speakers) which is ignored unless the track is being processed by an Atmos capable AVR (which your Anthem is not). So what the player is actually playing in this case is a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track. Again, getting that across the cable to your Anthem should be handled automatically according to what the Anthem says it can accept during the HDMI handshake.

If you tell the player to use LPCM output instead of Bitstream output, it will decode the Atmos track into LPCM 7.1. (There are no Height speaker channels in that.) Furthermore, the LPCM 7.1 will be down mixed as necessary for output if the receiving device can't accept the full 7.1 channels

Since your Anthem D2 can not accept Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstreams, and can only accept LPCM up to 5.1 channels, you should set your player to LPCM output (even if the track you are playing on the disc is *NOT* an LPCM track). Why? Because the player will then decode the original, lossless Bitstream track (Atmos, which means Dolby TrueHD 7.1 in your case) into LPCM -- followed by down mixing that to LPCM 5.1 for output to match what you D2 can accept. If you tell the player to use Bitstream output, on the other hand, it will send the compatibility (lossy) Bitstream track paired with the original TrueHD or DTS-HD MA track -- i.e., DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 -- since your Anthem can not accept the original TrueHD Bitstream. The audio decoded into LPCM from the original lossless Bitstream track will be HIGHER QUALITY than what gets included in the compatibility DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 track. So telling the player to send LPCM output gets you better quality audio.

For details on all of this, see my Blog post here:

Digital Audio 101 (...01010,,,)

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1814 of 1828 Old 03-30-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Selection of Bitstream vs LPCM output when you have told the disc to play a Bitstream track and the player to use Bitstream output should be automatic in the player -- part of the "HDMI handshake" which negotiates the format to send across the HDMI cable according to what the source device is playing and the receiving device can handle. Similarly, down mix of tracks with more than 5.1 channels of content to 5.1 should also happen automatically in the source player if the receiving device can't handle that larger number of channels. Again part of that automatic handshake. Lastly, the "lossless" Bitstream formats (e.g., Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) are always paired on disc with a "compatibility" track -- DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 -- in case you aren't connecting to a device which can accept the full TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstream. And once again, the player automatically selects to send the compatibility Bitstream track, instead of the original lossless Bitstream, whenever that is necessary.

An Atmos track is actually a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track with extra data (for the expected Height speakers) which is ignored unless the track is being processed by an Atmos capable AVR (which your Anthem is not). So what the player is actually playing in this case is a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track. Again, getting that across the cable to your Anthem should be handled automatically according to what the Anthem says it can accept during the HDMI handshake.

If you tell the player to use LPCM output instead of Bitstream output, it will decode the Atmos track into LPCM 7.1. (There are no Height speaker channels in that.) Furthermore, the LPCM 7.1 will be down mixed as necessary for output if the receiving device can't accept the full 7.1 channels

Since your Anthem D2 can not accept Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA Bitstreams, and can only accept LPCM up to 5.1 channels, you should set your player to LPCM output (even if the track you are playing on the disc is *NOT* an LPCM track). Why? Because the player will then decode the original, lossless Bitstream track (Atmos, which means Dolby TrueHD 7.1 in your case) into LPCM -- followed by down mixing that to LPCM 5.1 for output to match what you D2 can accept. If you tell the player to use Bitstream output, on the other hand, it will send the compatibility (lossy) Bitstream track paired with the original TrueHD or DTS-HD MA track -- i.e., DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 -- since your Anthem can not accept the original TrueHD Bitstream. The audio decoded into LPCM from the original lossless Bitstream track will be HIGHER QUALITY than what gets included in the compatibility DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 track. So telling the player to send LPCM output gets you better quality audio.

For details on all of this, see my Blog post here:

Digital Audio 101 (...01010,,,)

--Bob
Bob, thank you very much. My player only offers "PCM" and "Bitstream", no "LPCM", so hopefully that is not a concern. But I changed both to PCM based on your comments. I also realized I had PCM downconversion on, which in this player forces the audio to 48hz, so I was giving up something there as well in sound quality.

The other thing I enabled was the "Secondary Audio Track" which appears to force EVERYTHING to DD5.1? I'm looking at this table for my player and have to figure out the conversion settings to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm connected to the Anthem via HDMI for both audio and video. Given the table below, should I still be set for PCM for both? Seems to me, wth the secondary audio enabled, maybe I want Bitstream for both options? Or stick with PCM only and turn OFF the secondary track? Please see table here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...page=33#manual

I guess what I still don't understand is why I had no audio output from the ATMOS track. If I understand your post here, there still should have been audio processed in the player and output via PCM OR Bitstream to the Anthem. But it was a Red Box rental so I don't have the disc at this point.

But thank you for your informative post. I'll also check out the link you included.
post #1815 of 1828 Old 03-30-2019, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I discuss Blu-ray “Secondary Audio” in that same post.

What you want is LPCM output on HDMI with Secondary Audio OFF (except whenever you really want to hear a disc feature such as a picture in picture Commentary track which only produces audio for the Commentary while Secondary Audio is enabled).

As discussed in that Blog post, enabling Secondary Audio with Bitstream output will indeed result in a lossy Bitstream, because the original Bitstream has to be decoded to LPCM in the player prior to mixing in the Secondary Audio, and the combo then has to be re-encoded BACK into a Bitstream for output. And players do not have the horsepower to do that re-encode as a lossless Bitstream.

Linear PCM — LPCM — is the only flavor of PCM used in home theater gear. So it is not unusual for manufacturers to just say “PCM” expecting anyone who cares will know they mean LPCM.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1816 of 1828 Old 03-31-2019, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only caveat with PCM decoders is many lower end players only have a stereo decoder, so selecting PCM output will give you a 2.0 output. You will need to invest on a higher end player like a modern UHD player to get one with a multichannel decoder. Older players will often have multichannel decoders but as prices dropped, corners have been cut.

So PCM will give the best quality if your player can do multichannel decoding, but if you bought a cheap $100 player (even top of the line models in that price range) today, it will likely feature a stereo decoder, at which point if you want surround sound, you might have to compare against a matrix decoder with the stereo output versus the core tracks at lower quality.
post #1817 of 1828 Old 03-31-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
^ I discuss Blu-ray “Secondary Audio” in that same post.

What you want is LPCM output on HDMI with Secondary Audio OFF (except whenever you really want to hear a disc feature such as a picture in picture Commentary track which only produces audio for the Commentary while Secondary Audio is enabled).

As discussed in that Blog post, enabling Secondary Audio with Bitstream output will indeed result in a lossy Bitstream, because the original Bitstream has to be decoded to LPCM in the player prior to mixing in the Secondary Audio, and the combo then has to be re-encoded BACK into a Bitstream for output. And players do not have the horsepower to do that re-encode as a lossless Bitstream.

Linear PCM — LPCM — is the only flavor of PCM used in home theater gear. So it is not unusual for manufacturers to just say “PCM” expecting anyone who cares will know they mean LPCM.
—Bob
Thank you. I read your article and updated the settings to be PCM and no secondary channel. So in the case of the ATMOS BD with no sound, if I had Bitstream enabled for the Dolby TrueHD option in the player with secondary audio OFF, then it would have been sending the TrueHD to the Anthem which had no idea what to do with it. So to hear it, I had to either switch that Bitstream to PCM, OR enable the Secondary Audio (but you say that's a lower quality option).

Do I have that right now?

Thank you again. Very helpful.
post #1818 of 1828 Old 03-31-2019, 08:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The player SHOULD have sent the “compatibility” DD 5.1 track if you played an Atmos track with Bitstream output enabled, since your Anthem can not accept a TrueHD 7.1 Bitstream as input, and would have said so during the HDMI handshake. That’s even with Secondary Audio OFF in the player.

If the player failed to do that it could be a bug in the player (not handling this case correctly) or it could have been a temporary HDMI handshake failure — cure by forcing a new handshake. (And consider updating your HDMI cables.)

—Bob

post #1819 of 1828 Old 05-27-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Strangeness

I'm posting this several places in hopes of getting the most help..

I just noticed something last night. I was attempting to watch Terminator 2, which has DTS sound. Fine. I like it. But I noticed that my receiver was showing Dolby Digital on the display. I checked another movie, Gremlins 2, and this time, the receiver showed DTS. I checked ANOTHER movie, Jurassic Park, which is also DTS. This time, the display showed Dolby Digital.

I couldn't figure it out. I went into my player's settings and found the HD audio modes. I have always had it set to Mix Audio Output...which has seemed to work fine for the 11 years I've had the player. Trying to figure this stuff out, I changed the setting to HD Audio Output. NOW when I play a movie, the display shows whatever the audio is...dolby or dts.

I found a manual for the player and it says that mix audio output play interactive and secondary audio if available. I did some searching and I think I understand that to mean stuff like menu button sounds. Is that so ? The manual said that it also includes director's commentaries. Does this mean that if I keep it on hd audio output, commentaries won't play ?

When I played the dts movies on my ps3, the display showed DTS like it's supposed to.
post #1820 of 1828 Old 05-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ You did good.

Secondary Audio is a “feature” of the Blu-ray spec. It allows the studios to include a separate Stereo audio track which plays along with your choice of feature audio. It is used for menu sound effects (beep when you click on an on screen button) and SOME Commentary tracks which are typically authored as Picture-in-Picture: See a small window pop up with Commentary video while watching the feature.

MOST Commentary tracks do not use this. They are authored as an entirely separate feature track which plays instead of the normal feature audio and usually includes some feature audio baked in whenever the Commenters shut up.

Only the player knows about Blu-ray Secondary Audio; your AVR or TV has no clue about it. So to hear Secondary Audio you must let the player “mix” the Stereo Secondary Audio track (e.g., button beeps) with whatever normal, feature audio (e.g., menu background music) is already playing. The mixed combo becomes the one and only audio the player sends out.

Now, when the feature audio track is a Bitstream like DTS or DD, that mixing can’t happen until the player first decodes the bitstream audio format into its component, LPCM digital audio streams — one per speaker channel. And if you have told the player to output Bitstream audio the result, AFTER mixing in the Stereo Secondary Audio, has to be re-encoded BACK into a Bitstream for output.

Some players will always produce a DD bitstream when doing the re-encode, even if the original feature audio was DTS.

By enabling audio Mixing, you’ve told the player it is OK to do this!

But it gets worse! If the feature audio is a “lossless” Bitstream track — Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA — the Bitstream created for output after the mixing will be LOSSY DD. And DD 5.1 even if the original track was 7.1. Why? Because no player has the horsepower to create a Lossless Bitstream on the fly like this.

So the Rule of Thumb when using HDMI Bitstream audio output is to turn Secondary Audio Mixing OFF! Only turn it on if you really need to hear Secondary Audio — such as when you’ve selected one of those Picture-in-Picture Commentaries.

So why did DTS work on SOME of your discs? Because not all discs include Secondary Audio. For such discs, mixing can’t ever happen and so the player leaves the original DTS Bitstream unmolested.

But for discs that DO include Secondary Audio — ANYWHERE on the disc — the rules of Blu-ray playback require the processing for mixing to happen EVEN IF you’ve not selected to play a disc feature (such as a Commentary) which actually uses Secondary Audio.

Again: Leave Mixing disabled when using Bitstream audio output except when you decide to play an on-disc extra which requires it.
—Bob

post #1821 of 1828 Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
^ You did good.

Secondary Audio is a “feature” of the Blu-ray spec. It allows the studios to include a separate Stereo audio track which plays along with your choice of feature audio. It is used for menu sound effects (beep when you click on an on screen button) and SOME Commentary tracks which are typically authored as Picture-in-Picture: See a small window pop up with Commentary video while watching the feature.

MOST Commentary tracks do not use this. They are authored as an entirely separate feature track which plays instead of the normal feature audio and usually includes some feature audio baked in whenever the Commenters shut up.

Only the player knows about Blu-ray Secondary Audio; your AVR or TV has no clue about it. So to hear Secondary Audio you must let the player “mix” the Stereo Secondary Audio track (e.g., button beeps) with whatever normal, feature audio (e.g., menu background music) is already playing. The mixed combo becomes the one and only audio the player sends out.

Now, when the feature audio track is a Bitstream like DTS or DD, that mixing can’t happen until the player first decodes the bitstream audio format into its component, LPCM digital audio streams — one per speaker channel. And if you have told the player to output Bitstream audio the result, AFTER mixing in the Stereo Secondary Audio, has to be re-encoded BACK into a Bitstream for output.

Some players will always produce a DD bitstream when doing the re-encode, even if the original feature audio was DTS.

By enabling audio Mixing, you’ve told the player it is OK to do this!

But it gets worse! If the feature audio is a “lossless” Bitstream track — Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA — the Bitstream created for output after the mixing will be LOSSY DD. And DD 5.1 even if the original track was 7.1. Why? Because no player has the horsepower to create a Lossless Bitstream on the fly like this.

So the Rule of Thumb when using HDMI Bitstream audio output is to turn Secondary Audio Mixing OFF! Only turn it on if you really need to hear Secondary Audio — such as when you’ve selected one of those Picture-in-Picture Commentaries.

So why did DTS work on SOME of your discs? Because not all discs include Secondary Audio. For such discs, mixing can’t ever happen and so the player leaves the original DTS Bitstream unmolested.

But for discs that DO include Secondary Audio — ANYWHERE on the disc — the rules of Blu-ray playback require the processing for mixing to happen EVEN IF you’ve not selected to play a disc feature (such as a Commentary) which actually uses Secondary Audio.

Again: Leave Mixing disabled when using Bitstream audio output except when you decide to play an on-disc extra which requires it.
—Bob
that all makes sense, I guess. But why did the DTS track show up on the receiver as Dolby Digital when the player was set to Mix Audio Output ? It was my understanding that if it was set to Mix Audio Output and there was no secondary audio, the hd track would be played.

My player is set up by both digital cable for audio and HDMI. When played through the digital cable, the core DTS or Dolby Digital tracks are played. If played through HDMI, the Dolby TruHD or DTS HD Master Audio tracks are played.

Also, if I want to hear the DTS HD Master Audio, do I bitstream or PCM ?

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 05-27-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #1822 of 1828 Old 05-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
No. If you have secondary audio on, it will only output lossy DD and DTS. It would really help if we knew which Blu-ray player you are using. Sounds like a Samsung if you are re-encoding to DTS.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1823 of 1828 Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

^^ Your player thinks there is Secondary Audio somewhere on the disc (even if you are not telling it to play the Secondary Audio). So the Bitstream gets decoded and re-encoded because you have Mixing enabled.

With Mixing off, you can play DTS-HD MA either as Bitstream or LPCM. The Bitstream has to be decoded into LPCM at some point. If you set the player to output LPCM then the player does it. If you set the player to output Bitstream on HDMI, then the AVR does it.
—Bob

post #1824 of 1828 Old 05-27-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
No. If you have secondary audio on, it will only output lossy DD and DTS. It would really help if we knew which Blu-ray player you are using. Sounds like a Samsung if you are re-encoding to DTS.

S~
my player is an old magnavox nb500MG9. If I run the audio through HDMI, it will play, and show on the display, DTS HD or TrueHD Dolby. If I run the audio through digital coax, it will just be plain DTS or Dolby 5.1.
post #1825 of 1828 Old 05-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
my player is an old magnavox nb500MG9. If I run the audio through HDMI, it will play, and show on the display, DTS HD or TrueHD Dolby. If I run the audio through digital coax, it will just be plain DTS or Dolby 5.1.
t=That is how it is supposed to work. Coax and optical do not support lossless audio (TrueHD and DTS MA) only lossy DD and DTS and 2 channel PCM. You have to use HDMI for lossless audio.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1826 of 1828 Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
From what it seems, Sony UBP-X800M2 blu ray player can't play or bitstream Atmos tracks contained in mkv files.
For this reason, I'm considering returning it to get a Panasonic DP-UB820.
Would the Panasonic be able to pass through Dolby Atmos tracks contained in mkv files?
post #1827 of 1828 Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSphere00 View Post
From what it seems, Sony UBP-X800M2 blu ray player can't play or bitstream Atmos tracks contained in mkv files.
For this reason, I'm considering returning it to get a Panasonic DP-UB820.
Would the Panasonic be able to pass through Dolby Atmos tracks contained in mkv files?
No. The only players able to play TrueHD in mkv container are the Oppo and the CA (both discontinued). Pioneer 500 might. For the X800M2 your files must be in m2ts format. This is discussed in the owner's thread ad nauseum.

post #1828 of 1828 Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 531
My Samsung 8500 plays Atmos from my NAS without a problem 95% of the time. Picked it up on eBay for $50 last year, best $50 I've spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
audio , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , disc , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player , sound , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page