The Official Sony BDP-S350 Owners Thread - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3811 of 6800 Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
benjosevilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

Hello, I'm a new 52XBR6 owner who's looking for his first BD player.

Can anyone help me with this most basic question?... I'm really struggling to understand whether I need the 7.1 analog feature in the higher-end S550 since I don't own an analog receiver. In the future I plan to buy a digital receiver which I assume would be able to output a 7.1 digital sound(?). Would I be able to achieve 7.1 digital audio sound on a S350 or is 7.1 digitial or analog sound only possible on the S550?

Thanks!

If you are planning to buy a new receiver in the near future, you can plan to buy one that has 7.1 output, HDMI inputs and can decode all the HD audio like DTS-MA and True HD. You can then use an S350 and bitstream to you new receiver.
benjosevilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3812 of 6800 Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: S.F.
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

If you are planning to buy a new receiver in the near future, you can plan to buy one that has 7.1 output, HDMI inputs and can decode all the HD audio like DTS-MA and True HD. You can then use an S350 and bitstream to you new receiver.

So what you're saying is that it's better to let a modern-day receiver handle the decoding portion than the BD player? And that simply bitstreaming via HDMI from the lower-end model S350 to my receiver would be sufficient enough?

I basically just want to make sure that the S350 can still deliver real 7.1 digital sound via a modern-day receiver connected via HDMI.
paranoyd androyd is offline  
post #3813 of 6800 Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Honestly, I think that those of us trying to contribute to this thread need to stop responding to questions that are getting asked multiple times PER DAY.

Questions about HDMI vs. Analog output, why you might want one over the other, etc, have been asked and answered literally multiple times within the same page of this thread.

Go to the search bar at the top of this thread, open it up and type "analog". Read the results and then if you still have questions then ask them.
jmpage2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3814 of 6800 Old 12-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Member
 
BluCheez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Honestly, I think that those of us trying to contribute to this thread need to stop responding to questions that are getting asked multiple times PER DAY.

Questions about HDMI vs. Analog output, why you might want one over the other, etc, have been asked and answered literally multiple times within the same page of this thread.

Go to the search bar at the top of this thread, open it up and type "analog". Read the results and then if you still have questions then ask them.

Preach it!

"A city on a hill cannot be hidden..."
BluCheez is offline  
post #3815 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

OK, so should I assume that "decoding via analog out" delivers a more powerful or true sound vs. simply "bitstreaming"?

Nope. It just means that you can use a A/V receiver that predates HDMI inputs and the decoding ofadvanced audio coding methods.


Quote:


Your response indicates that both the 350 and 550 output the same features, but just do it differently, one via decoding and one via bitstream.

Not exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

...

When the S350 is decoding, you get the following.

PCM.. no decoding, straight pass of the PCM audio.

DD at rates up to 640.

Dolby TrueHD fully decoded... it is a variable bitrate codec.

DTS fully decoded at rates up to 1509kbps.

DTS-HD HR and MA tracks aren't decoded... when selected, the S350 will decode the embedded core DTS encode at rates up to 1509kbps.

Of course, the S350 will pass all codecs as a bitstream to a receiver that can decode them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

There's an HDMI handshake. If the receiver lacks the needed lossless decoder, the player sends a legacy version of the track instead. So, you will never get silence when selecting a lossless track and you usually do not have an option to select DD or DTS from the disc audio menu. The DD track is generally hidden and the DTS track is the core embedded within the dts-MAtrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

DD is encoded at 448 kbps (or less) on DVD and 640 kbps on BD.
DTS is usually 754 kbps or 768 kbps on DVD while the core is 1.5 mbps on BD.

Personally, I think the improvement from lossy DVD to lossy BD (core) is substantial while the next step up to lossless is subtle and slight. I find the lossless output clearer and more detailed. But, I can't say that I would pass a blind test comparison.

The 550 adds full lossless decoding for a DTS-MA track that can be sent to an older receiver as analog, or sent via HDMI as digital LPCM which require only that the receiver translate the LPCM to analog.

As BIslander pointed out, the 350 provides the biggest Blu-ray audio bang (Pun ) for your buck unless you are one of those who can hear a clear difference between lossy DTS-MA core audio and lossless DTS-MA audio.

Like BIslander, I don't think I can tell the difference in a blind test.

Quote:


And are DTS HD-master and Dolby TrueHD both sound-related features or are they video-related too?

They are digital audio coding methods called "codec"s.

Quote:


I'd love to save some money by simply getting the 350 since I don't own an analog receiver

If you have a receiver that can't accept HDMI (digital) input then you need something like the 550. If you have a receiver that has HDMI inputs and processes LPCM digital then the 350 will probably be fine for you.

Quote:


if the 550 also delivers better HD PQ then perhaps I should reconsider.

I'm not aware of any picture quality difference between the 350 and the 550 when playing Blu-ray disks. I don't think there is a difference playing SD DVD either.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #3816 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Member
 
briinthesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I am now the proud owner of one of these machines, and I love it!
I love the PQ and the sound through my amp is stunning.

At the moment I am viewing everything "as the director intended"!( black bars!) I just wondered if any of the settings can be adjusted to get the screen filled ? has anyone tried this ?

Thanks.
Bc.
briinthesky is offline  
post #3817 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LongRufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Honestly, I think that those of us trying to contribute to this thread need to stop responding to questions that are getting asked multiple times PER DAY.

Questions about HDMI vs. Analog output, why you might want one over the other, etc, have been asked and answered literally multiple times within the same page of this thread.

Go to the search bar at the top of this thread, open it up and type "analog". Read the results and then if you still have questions then ask them.

I could not agree more. To go one step further, I'd love to see someone start a new thread titled "The Official Sony BDP-S350 Audio Setup Thread".
LongRufus is offline  
post #3818 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Ejectr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

I could not agree more. To go one step further, I'd love to see someone start a new thread titled "The Official Sony BDP-S350 Audio Setup Thread".

Sorry buddy, but the player outputs an audio signal as well as it does a video signal so it's all part of it. The repeat questions are one thing. Audio questions are valid. Thers's not a whole lot you can do with the video other than watch it. It's not like it has to be decoded or anything.

Your suggestion is like making a peanut butter thread for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich discussion.
Ejectr is offline  
post #3819 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 6,226
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

However, if you ever do decide to run it through an AVR, most if not all will allow you to increase the volume level for each source. At least I know the Denon 3808 has that function. That way when you switch sources, it will be more even across sources.

This is a good point for people with that capability and is something I do with my Denon 2309. I have increased the source level about 5 dB for the S350 in order to bring it up closer to what I am hearing on my other inputs.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
post #3820 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LongRufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejectr View Post

Sorry buddy, but the player outputs an audio signal as well as it does a video signal so it's all part of it. The repeat questions are one thing. Audio questions are valid. Thers's not a whole lot you can do with the video other than watch it. It's not like it has to be decoded or anything.

Your suggestion is like making a peanut butter thread for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich discussion.

People can ask all the audio questions they want about the S350 here, I have no problem with that. It all the "I have a AVR xxxx, how do I hook it up and which settings do I use?" questions that need a thread of their own.
LongRufus is offline  
post #3821 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Brett C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone have this player connected through a Pioneer vsx1018? Just curious if the setup is bug free regarding the hdmi connection.
Brett C is offline  
post #3822 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
waynehend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

They are digital audio coding methods called "codec"s.

Is "codec" still the right word? Codec is short for compression/decompression. I believe the lossless tracks are indeed compressed and decompressed, but without loss. Since there is no loss, who cares whether their files were efficiently put on disk (compressed) or not? I've been avoiding using the term "lossless codec" because to me it seems like an oxymoron that potentially confuses people.

Sorry, way OT.
waynehend is offline  
post #3823 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
waynehend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Honestly, I think that those of us trying to contribute to this thread need to stop responding to questions that are getting asked multiple times PER DAY.

Questions about HDMI vs. Analog output, why you might want one over the other, etc, have been asked and answered literally multiple times within the same page of this thread.

Go to the search bar at the top of this thread, open it up and type "analog". Read the results and then if you still have questions then ask them.

A better and more detailed FAQs list at the beginning of the thread might help - at least we would know where to send folks.
waynehend is offline  
post #3824 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Mike999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejectr View Post

Sorry buddy, but the player outputs an audio signal as well as it does a video signal so it's all part of it. The repeat questions are one thing. Audio questions are valid. Thers's not a whole lot you can do with the video other than watch it. It's not like it has to be decoded or anything.

The problem is that you get a load of audio questions, followed by dozens of answers, followed by followups to those questions, and on and on, which causes any other questions to get lost in the mix.

I have some specific NON-audio questions about this unit, few or none of which have been answered:

- How do DVDs look with this unit RELATIVE to the output of your DVD player? Is the image softer or sharper? Is there any noticeable artifacting? Would you say DVD performance is at least as good as a $100 upconverter or P/S player?

- There have been reports that this unit produces a yellow push and that colors look somewhat muted? is this true?

- What output generates the best video quality on a 720p TV? 480p? 720p? 1080i?

- How would you compare the overall video quality of DVDs and BDs to that of comparable Blu-Ray players; e.g., the Panny BD35?

- The layer change on this unit is said to be extremely slow relative to newer DVD players. How long are we talking about exactly? 2 seconds, 3 seconds? Is it slower or faster than comparable Blu-Ray players?

- How does this player handle DVD-Rs? DVD+Rs? scratched DVDs? Do you get any screen freezes or other errors with discs that are known to be good?

The answers to these questions I think would be quite helpful to potential buyers, but they will likely be passed over again for another 20 questions about hookups for Onkyo receivers.
Mike999 is offline  
post #3825 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Ejectr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

People can ask all the audio questions they want about the S350 here, I have no problem with that. It all the "I have a AVR xxxx, how do I hook it up and which settings do I use?" questions that need a thread of their own.

Ah....I see.
Ejectr is offline  
post #3826 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
dmaul1114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by briinthesky View Post

Hi

I am now the proud owner of one of these machines, and I love it!
I love the PQ and the sound through my amp is stunning.

At the moment I am viewing everything "as the director intended"!( black bars!) I just wondered if any of the settings can be adjusted to get the screen filled ? has anyone tried this ?

Thanks.
Bc.

You're best of watching it in the original aspect ratio. Some will fill the screen, some will have black bars of varying sizes. If you have to have it full screen, all you can do is zoom in on the TV, but then you lose part of the picture.
dmaul1114 is offline  
post #3827 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
dmaul1114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

T
- How do DVDs look with this unit RELATIVE to the output of your DVD player? Is the image softer or sharper? Is there any noticeable artifacting? Would you say DVD performance is at least as good as a $100 upconverter or P/S player?

I had a Sony DVD NS75H before, I'd say upconverted DVDs look as good or slightly sharper based on comparing some scenes in The Incredibles when I first hooked up my S350 (have since unhooked and put away the 75H).

Quote:


- What output generates the best video quality on a 720p TV? 480p? 720p? 1080i?

I'd think that would vary by the TV you use. Personally, I have 720p TV and send everything to it in 720p. I figure the less work the TV scaler has to do the better. But honestly, in playing around with cable boxes etc. I've not been able to tell a difference between setting it at 720p or 1080i etc.

Quote:


- The layer change on this unit is said to be extremely slow relative to newer DVD players. How long are we talking about exactly? 2 seconds, 3 seconds? Is it slower or faster than comparable Blu-Ray players?

About a second in my brief experience. Not much worse than the NS75H. Can't compare to other BR players as this is the only one I've watched a DVD on, but from reading it sounds like it's a bit slower than some of the others.
dmaul1114 is offline  
post #3828 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Mike999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thanks.
Mike999 is offline  
post #3829 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

The problem is that you get a load of audio questions, followed by dozens of answers, followed by followups to those questions, and on and on, which causes any other questions to get lost in the mix.

I understand how some people feel about repetitive questions. I've answered a few repetitive questions over the past six years. My solution has been to create a FAQ like answer and save it. Then when the question is repeated, all I have to do is paste it into a reply. That approach also provides a chance to improve the answers over time.

Audio is the area where most new owners are going to have questions. This is after all a thread for owners.

Quote:


I have some specific NON-audio questions about this unit, few or none of which have been answered:

My impression is that you are a shopper and not an owner. Many of the questions you have seem to be directed toward comparative shopping -- like which player should I buy. Most owners have different questions than yours.

Jmpage2 and BluCheez suggested that people should stop answering repetitive questions from new owners. Of course there are more new owners everyday, so instead of posts answering repetitive questions we would have posts telling new owners to find their own answers. I prefer answers.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #3830 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

I could not agree more. To go one step further, I'd love to see someone start a new thread titled "The Official Sony BDP-S350 Audio Setup Thread".

I have started such a thread, which is for all blu-ray audio setup questions

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1095740
jmpage2 is online now  
post #3831 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: S.F.
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Nope. It just means that you can use a A/V receiver that predates HDMI inputs and the decoding ofadvanced audio coding methods.


Not exactly.



The 550 adds full lossless decoding for a DTS-MA track that can be sent to an older receiver as analog, or sent via HDMI as digital LPCM which require only that the receiver translate the LPCM to analog.

As BIslander pointed out, the 350 provides the biggest Blu-ray audio bang (Pun ) for your buck unless you are one of those who can hear a clear difference between lossy DTS-MA core audio and lossless DTS-MA audio.

Like BIslander, I don't think I can tell the difference in a blind test.

They are digital audio coding methods called "codec"s.

If you have a receiver that can't accept HDMI (digital) input then you need something like the 550. If you have a receiver that has HDMI inputs and processes LPCM digital then the 350 will probably be fine for you.

I'm not aware of any picture quality difference between the 350 and the 550 when playing Blu-ray disks. I don't think there is a difference playing SD DVD either.

Thank you for your patience and incredibly thorough and informative response! The terms and technical aspects of the new sound formats are still very confusing to me, but I definitely now better understand the bigger picture here.

And I apologize to the others for the repetitive questions which I realize can bog down an owners thread. I was just REALLY struggling after spending so much time reading this thread and these new HD sound formats are incredibly confusing to a layman like myself.

Bottom line, it sounds like I should go with the S350 and just make sure that when I do buy a receiver, that it has HDMI inputs and outputs and decodes all these new advanced sound formats. The codecs that get bitstreamed from the S350 to a new receiver will then be decoded in the receiver (instead of inside the S350 likes the S550 does), so I will still essentially get the same sound quality from the S350 (as I would've with the S550) after my receiver decodes the codecs.
paranoyd androyd is offline  
post #3832 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 6,226
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I have started such a thread, which is for all blu-ray audio setup questions

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1095740

Nice start! I see you reserved a few spots for later additions. Kudos.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
post #3833 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
benjosevilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

So what you're saying is that it's better to let a modern-day receiver handle the decoding portion than the BD player? And that simply bitstreaming via HDMI from the lower-end model S350 to my receiver would be sufficient enough?

I basically just want to make sure that the S350 can still deliver real 7.1 digital sound via a modern-day receiver connected via HDMI.

Yes, get a receiver that has HDMI inputs that meet your needs plus one. 7.1 will be great. Take note that most movies even the new ones are 5.1. In terms of audio decoding, it will be a cost difference thing between getting a receiver that does all the codec or get a BD player that will do it for you.
It is cheaper to upgrade a BD player than upgrade a receiver.
benjosevilla is offline  
post #3834 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

Thank you for your patience and incredibly thorough and informative response!

You're welcome.

Wikipedia is a good place to learn the terminology.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #3835 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Mike999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

My impression is that you are a shopper and not an owner. Many of the questions you have seem to be directed toward comparative shopping -- like which player should I buy. Most owners have different questions than yours.

Actually I am an owner, but I'm probably going to wait till Christmas to try this model out, since it's a gift. I've been thinking about exchanging for a BD-35 since that model is now cheaper and getting better pro reviews than the S350. On the other hand, some BD-35 owners - here and elsewhere - have said the Panny doesn't have the performance advantage over the Sony that these reviews are claiming. Since I've usually had good luck with Sony products in the past, I'm sort of hesitant to switch based on a few - possibly biased - reviews.
Mike999 is offline  
post #3836 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

Actually I am an owner, but I'm probably going to wait till Christmas to try this model out, since it's a gift. I've been thinking about exchanging for a BD-35 since that model is now cheaper and getting better pro reviews than the S350. On the other hand, some BD-35 owners - here and elsewhere - have said the Panny doesn't have the performance advantage over the Sony that these reviews are claiming. Since I've usually had good luck with Sony products in the past, I'm sort of hesitant to switch based on a few - possibly biased - reviews.

I didn't think that there would be any difinitive difference. Look at how you will use the player first, and then see if anything in either model impacts how you will use it.

So far the S350 has satisfied me, but I didn't try the BD-35. I bought low end on price (Sony Style credit card offer) because I expected to use it mostly for Blu-ray. BD core LPCM audio via HDMI gives me all the improvement in audio that I'm going to hear.

I saw no reason to upgrade our Denon 3806 since UMR used it to calibrate great audio last Spring.

Both the Toshiba A30 HD-DVD player, and the S350 do a good job with quality SD DVD transfers.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #3837 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Newbie
 
jschmi01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When connected to my projector via HDMI I get this anoying flicker during playback at least 5 times during a film. When connected via component it does not occur. I switched HDMI cables and it still occurs. any ideas?
jschmi01 is offline  
post #3838 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Member
 
LPE427Fbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Player seems to have lost all connections on the back. Disks load, appear to play, but no picture, sound, or anything. Any suggestions? This thing was working just fine last weekend. BTW, I have tried several different cables, types of cables, and monitors. The problem is definitely with the S350...

thanks in advance-
Chris
LPE427Fbird is offline  
post #3839 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dawgdaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Huntington Woods MI
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPE427Fbird View Post

Player seems to have lost all connections on the back. Disks load, appear to play, but no picture, sound, or anything. Any suggestions? This thing was working just fine last weekend. BTW, I have tried several different cables, types of cables, and monitors. The problem is definitely with the S350...

thanks in advance-
Chris

When did you buy it?
Dawgdaes is offline  
post #3840 of 6800 Old 12-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Member
 
LPE427Fbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
a few months back...been a great unit up to now....
LPE427Fbird is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , oldest sony blu ray still working , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , sony bdp-s350 , sony blu ray players , unable to get 7.1 sound

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off