Originally Posted by tlniec
I've done a bit of searching, but haven't hit on the right search terms to get any relevant results (or maybe I'm the only person who has had this problem!)...
First, some details on my living room TV setup: I have a handful of source devices (including a Blu-Ray player) located in a rack remote from the TV. The sources feed into a 3x1 HDMI switch via ~6' HDMI cables, the switch connects via a ~25' HDMI cable to an HDMI-over-Cat5e extender sender, ~50' of Cat5e cable are between the extender sender/receiver, and then there is a ~6' HDMI cable from the extender receiver to the TV.
This all worked great up until I replaced my living room TV about a year ago, with a 4K LG LCD. Even after the change, I haven't have any throughput/bandwidth problems; all my sources max out at 1080p and they can push that just fine all the way through to the TV. I did have what turned out to be HDCP issues with my cable box (could only see OSD/guide info, no actual programming content), but changing my 3x1 HDMI switch to a newer HDCP 2.2 compliant one fixed that. Now I am down to one nagging issue, that isn't a big deal, but it is bugging me enough that I'm hoping someone else has seen it and can recommend a fix.
As mentioned, one of my sources is a Blu-Ray player... a Sony BDP-S350. Once I get a disc started and the actual content is running, everything is fine. But when the player is sitting at its Home screen, the picture constantly flickers/drops out. Anybody seen something like that before, and if so, did you find a fix? I tried swapping in a couple of different Blu-Ray players from around the house (Sony BDP-S460 and Panasonic DMP-BD65) with the same results. I'm considering buying a newer (HDCP 2.2 compliant) Blu-Ray player to see if that helps, but I'm very open to any other suggestions of things to try (settings/etc) first. Thanks!
Doubt anyone was following this, but I did resolve my issue.
I tried a few other players, and had similar disappointing results. One wouldn't display at all, another would display the player's home screen/setup menu but locked resolution at 480p... anything else would yield a blank screen. Eventually it occurred to me to try what should have been an obvious early step -- replace the HDMI cable. And sure enough, replacing the cable fixed the issue, and the player is now rock-solid when displaying disc content as well as the player's home screen.
In my prior setup, the player/HDMI switch/cables had sat undisturbed for years, as everything was working fine. Upon upgrading the TV and HDMI switch, the cable got moved a bit. Then I reconfigured my rack, and moved it again (and also re-routed/restrained it). Then when I was swapping players, I was naturally tweaking the cable around even more. In retrospect, I think the cable was in marginal shape, and then was degraded even worse by my mucking about with things. It was an older HDMI cable with fat ferrite beads at each end, and I kind of wonder if that plus the way it sat in my old setup caused strain on some of the wires.
Anyhow, problem solved and lesson relearned -- when troubleshooting, don't assume the cable that was just fine yesterday is still going to work today... who knows what someone (or you yourself) might have done to it!