The Official Sony BDP-S350 Owners Thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #6781 of 6800 Old 03-21-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
/\ . . the firmware in your S350 has not received (nor needed) updating in a number of years, so you probably are running the most current release.
Regarding disc playback: although it is possible that your player is wearing out, you might try cleaning the discs before playing them, and cleaning the inside of the player before writing off your S350. I use an old Discwasher disc cleaning device and it works great. I see versions made by Philips out on EBay very cheap. There are also disc based player cleaners out there, but I don't use them. I tend to open up the player & use a q-tip with a small amount of denatured alcohol on it to carefully clean the laser lens assembly.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6800 Old 04-23-2016, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sony BDP and DTS issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin
@NickRHave

I thought this was a D&M DTS:X update issue resulting in Sony BDP's not outputting DTS bitstream due to some HDMI EDID FU. Perhaps it is a global DTS:X firmware update issue.
See:
Post 9605
Post 4042

There are more posts about this issue besides the two above if you feel like searching.

Similar issue with my Sony bdps350. Just popped in Last Witch hunter,my first DTSx disc, and no DTSX output. Shows in my 3050 as DTS 5.1 output. Tried all the settings in the player and no joy.
Also, if the audio is 7.1 DTS MA it is output as 6.1 DTS EX.
5.1 MA is just DTS now. So all MA is gone as is 7.1 and no DTSX.
True HD and Atmos are working fine.
Methinks a call to Yamaha tomorrow is in order.

Thought I would start a thread, it was mentioned in another one but I'm wondering if anyone has info ?
I called Yamaha and the tech guy I talked to says he had not heard of this problem.

Yamaha RXA-3050, BenQ W5000, 122" Screen, (3) Sony TAN-55, QSC EX2500, (2) Adire Maelstrom 18"
Klipsch & ADS speakers (7.1.4)
(2) Sonance 260x3, AC Infinity fans
Monster Power ProAv2000/HTS5100
post #6783 of 6800 Old 06-05-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Old bluray player vs slightly less old player-- which is better

Quick question for experts here. I've been using my old Sony S-350 for like 7 years now ... thing is built like a tank and chugs along fine. I have an issue where I changed audio receivers and it no longer fits in my cabinet, but I also own a smaller Sony BX18 which I can fit instead.

Question is, which is the better player? Were there any improvements with bluray players over the last several years as far as video quality goes? Will I notice any difference in quality between them? Video or audio-wise? I did a quick test, and didn't notice much of a difference, but I wouldn't see subtle differences in a quick test anyway.

Would newer = better? Or was the older model better in some way? Only difference I noticed was that the newer model was slightly quicker with disc loading, although the player is so cheap looking/plasticy, I can't help but wonder if it is worse in some other ways.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 06-05-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6784 of 6800 Old 06-05-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
No difference in audio/video quality. Newer = cheaper, faster loading, more apps, smaller, no analog. But to be fair, you're comparing your 350, which was top of the line (only model) at the time, with Sony's absolute lowest end model.
post #6785 of 6800 Old 06-05-2016, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No difference in audio/video quality. Newer = cheaper, faster loading, more apps, smaller, no analog. But to be fair, you're comparing your 350, which was top of the line (only model) at the time, with Sony's absolute lowest end model.
Not quite true. The BDP-S550 was the next higher model (basically added 7.1 analog audio outputs). The BDP-S5000ES was also available around the same time & was the real top of the line player from Sony, built like a tank & offering the very best analog audio output of any players by far.

post #6786 of 6800 Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Not quite true. The BDP-S550 was the next higher model (basically added 7.1 analog audio outputs). The BDP-S5000ES was also available around the same time & was the real top of the line player from Sony, built like a tank & offering the very best analog audio output of any players by far.
Thanks. I guess the 550 came out after I bought my 350. Seems like there wasn't any other option at the time. It was a long time ago.
post #6787 of 6800 Old 06-07-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Thanks. I guess the 550 came out after I bought my 350. Seems like there wasn't any other option at the time. It was a long time ago.
The S350 was my very first BD player - it still works fine. I don't recall if the S550 was available for purchase day 1 of the S350 . . .
I picked up a S550 later that year when Sony threw them on sale to take advantage of lossless audio via my analog audio inputs on my Yamaha RX-V1 receiver. That did not work out too well since the LFE channel analog output on all players apparently is depressed by 10db and my Yamaha receiver could only reduce the input signal (I needed to increase the signal).
I think it was the following year that the local BestBuy was blowing out the BDP-S1000ES for $80 - and I grabbed one of those. It is still my primary player now feeding lossless audio over hdmi to my Yamaha RX-V3900 & the S350 and S550 are boxed back up and stored in an unused bedroom!

Last edited by Rich86; 06-07-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #6788 of 6800 Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
10-year-old blu-ray player - likely reasons for failure?

I found a nice, Sony Blu-ray player at a thrift shop. It powered up, responded to commands, and initially played regular DVD's. Then I put in a blu-ray, and it wouldn't play the disc, throwing up a "cannot operate this disc" denial.

It's a Sony 350. So, I opened it up, cleaned the lens, and it worked for two discs, then, randomly, the same denial.

Sometimes discs will spin up, and sometimes they won't. If they decide to engage, they go on to play just fine.
Also, if I eject a disc, give the drive a bit of a smack on the top, and reinsert the disc, it spins up and plays.

Manufacture date on the drive itself is from 2008. What may be the most likely reasons for failure:

a: lens can't consistently read the disc
b: motor is failing
c: gears are worn out

I've tried everything I can think of, aka clean lens, blow out the dust, check the tracks/rails.

Is a player this old just too damn old?

thanks

UPDATE: admins, I see you moved this second post from the ‘general question’ thread I created which was meant to attract ANY Blu-ray owner, which I should have done in the first place. The two-year-old Sony 350 thread I originally asked in wasn’t likely going to draw a response. Any chance you can put this back as a stand-alone and kill the Sony thread entry?

Last edited by tvmaster; 07-09-2018 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Admin question
post #6789 of 6800 Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
I found a ... Sony 350 [blu-ray player that] ...
can't consistently read the disc.

Is a player this old just too damn old?

tvmaster,

Because my 350 still works, I don't think simple shelf-life (and deteriorating rubber parts) is the cause. Maybe something is wearing out from accumulated hours of operation.

Carl
post #6790 of 6800 Old 07-09-2018, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cTwining View Post
tvmaster,

Because my 350 still works, I don't think simple shelf-life (and deteriorating rubber parts) is the cause. Maybe something is wearing out from accumulated hours of operation.

Carl
is your 350 10 years old? Do lens assemblies wear out?
post #6791 of 6800 Old 07-10-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
is your 350 10 years old? Do lens assemblies wear out?

I bought it in 2008 after Toshiba abandoned the HD-DVD format. I've watched a couple of movies a week until I bought a UHD player last summer.

The arm that holds the lens is a moving part, so I would guess wear is an issue.

Carl
post #6792 of 6800 Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hi,

I still have a Sony S350

Still works perfectly.

Does this BD player bitstream dolby atmos and DTS X?

Assuming I have a atmos/DTS X AVR?

And I see people mentioning cinavia corrupted firmware, that this player doesn't have. What advantages does that give me??

Thanks,
K.

Last edited by k3nnis; 07-10-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #6793 of 6800 Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
I still have a Sony S350
Still works perfectly.
And I see people mentioning cinavia corrupted firmware, that this player doesn't have. What advantages does that give me??
K,

The 350 seems to be an ideal media player, but it's vulnerable to newer DRM schemes. (Google SCREEN PASS WIKILEAKS and see page 7 of Sony's PDF for an example that does affect this player.)

Don't waste your time writing blu-ray and AVCHD disks to dodge Cinavia.

Carl
post #6794 of 6800 Old 07-10-2018, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
K,

The 350 seems to be an ideal media player, but it's vulnerable to newer DRM schemes. (Google SCREEN PASS WIKILEAKS and see page 7 of Sony's PDF for an example that does affect this player.)

Don't waste your time writing blu-ray and AVCHD disks to dodge Cinavia.

Carl

Thanks for the info Carl. I don’t copy my BD’s so probably won’t affect me? Or do you mean if I purchase certain BD’s it might not load on this player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6795 of 6800 Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
I don’t copy my BD’s so probably won’t affect me? Or do you mean if I purchase certain BD’s it might not load on this player?

K,
Commercial disks are fine. Only "backup" disks are affected.
Carl
post #6796 of 6800 Old 07-11-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
K,
Commercial disks are fine. Only "backup" disks are affected.
Carl

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6797 of 6800 Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like I'm running into a new compatibility issue with my receiver and/or the 350? I recently bought an All-in-One Mission Impossible Blu-ray set and the 350 doesn't even recognize the discs. I bought Deadpool 2 Super Cut, and it played the Super Cut disc fine, but the normal BD would not play audio at all. The Infinity War BD I just bought won't play any audio either. When the video works but not the audio, my old Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver isn't even recognizing the channels on the display.

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Polk RM1000W sub.
post #6798 of 6800 Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Issues using older Blu-Ray player w/ 4K TV...

I've done a bit of searching, but haven't hit on the right search terms to get any relevant results (or maybe I'm the only person who has had this problem!)...

First, some details on my living room TV setup: I have a handful of source devices (including a Blu-Ray player) located in a rack remote from the TV. The sources feed into a 3x1 HDMI switch via ~6' HDMI cables, the switch connects via a ~25' HDMI cable to an HDMI-over-Cat5e extender sender, ~50' of Cat5e cable are between the extender sender/receiver, and then there is a ~6' HDMI cable from the extender receiver to the TV.

This all worked great up until I replaced my living room TV about a year ago, with a 4K LG LCD. Even after the change, I haven't have any throughput/bandwidth problems; all my sources max out at 1080p and they can push that just fine all the way through to the TV. I did have what turned out to be HDCP issues with my cable box (could only see OSD/guide info, no actual programming content), but changing my 3x1 HDMI switch to a newer HDCP 2.2 compliant one fixed that. Now I am down to one nagging issue, that isn't a big deal, but it is bugging me enough that I'm hoping someone else has seen it and can recommend a fix.

As mentioned, one of my sources is a Blu-Ray player... a Sony BDP-S350. Once I get a disc started and the actual content is running, everything is fine. But when the player is sitting at its Home screen, the picture constantly flickers/drops out. Anybody seen something like that before, and if so, did you find a fix? I tried swapping in a couple of different Blu-Ray players from around the house (Sony BDP-S460 and Panasonic DMP-BD65) with the same results. I'm considering buying a newer (HDCP 2.2 compliant) Blu-Ray player to see if that helps, but I'm very open to any other suggestions of things to try (settings/etc) first. Thanks!
post #6799 of 6800 Old 02-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post
I've done a bit of searching, but haven't hit on the right search terms to get any relevant results (or maybe I'm the only person who has had this problem!)...

First, some details on my living room TV setup: I have a handful of source devices (including a Blu-Ray player) located in a rack remote from the TV. The sources feed into a 3x1 HDMI switch via ~6' HDMI cables, the switch connects via a ~25' HDMI cable to an HDMI-over-Cat5e extender sender, ~50' of Cat5e cable are between the extender sender/receiver, and then there is a ~6' HDMI cable from the extender receiver to the TV.

This all worked great up until I replaced my living room TV about a year ago, with a 4K LG LCD. Even after the change, I haven't have any throughput/bandwidth problems; all my sources max out at 1080p and they can push that just fine all the way through to the TV. I did have what turned out to be HDCP issues with my cable box (could only see OSD/guide info, no actual programming content), but changing my 3x1 HDMI switch to a newer HDCP 2.2 compliant one fixed that. Now I am down to one nagging issue, that isn't a big deal, but it is bugging me enough that I'm hoping someone else has seen it and can recommend a fix.

As mentioned, one of my sources is a Blu-Ray player... a Sony BDP-S350. Once I get a disc started and the actual content is running, everything is fine. But when the player is sitting at its Home screen, the picture constantly flickers/drops out. Anybody seen something like that before, and if so, did you find a fix? I tried swapping in a couple of different Blu-Ray players from around the house (Sony BDP-S460 and Panasonic DMP-BD65) with the same results. I'm considering buying a newer (HDCP 2.2 compliant) Blu-Ray player to see if that helps, but I'm very open to any other suggestions of things to try (settings/etc) first. Thanks!
Doubt anyone was following this, but I did resolve my issue.

I tried a few other players, and had similar disappointing results. One wouldn't display at all, another would display the player's home screen/setup menu but locked resolution at 480p... anything else would yield a blank screen. Eventually it occurred to me to try what should have been an obvious early step -- replace the HDMI cable. And sure enough, replacing the cable fixed the issue, and the player is now rock-solid when displaying disc content as well as the player's home screen.

In my prior setup, the player/HDMI switch/cables had sat undisturbed for years, as everything was working fine. Upon upgrading the TV and HDMI switch, the cable got moved a bit. Then I reconfigured my rack, and moved it again (and also re-routed/restrained it). Then when I was swapping players, I was naturally tweaking the cable around even more. In retrospect, I think the cable was in marginal shape, and then was degraded even worse by my mucking about with things. It was an older HDMI cable with fat ferrite beads at each end, and I kind of wonder if that plus the way it sat in my old setup caused strain on some of the wires.

Anyhow, problem solved and lesson relearned -- when troubleshooting, don't assume the cable that was just fine yesterday is still going to work today... who knows what someone (or you yourself) might have done to it!
post #6800 of 6800 Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Since you have upgraded to 4K, you might consider replacing ALL of your HDMI cables with new Premium Certified HDMI cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GHDC2001-HDMI-Certification.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2529584  

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , oldest sony blu ray still working , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , sony bdp-s350 , sony blu ray players , unable to get 7.1 sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page