Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3661 of 3666 Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post
AVP I am guessing is a typo for AVR and by matching I assume you mean the AVR-100 (I think was the model). If so.....can you share the failure you experienced?

thanks,
I believe he meant the Denon AVP-A1HDCI flagship pre-pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3666 Old 07-25-2018, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post
AVP I am guessing is a typo for AVR and by matching I assume you mean the AVR-100 (I think was the model). If so.....can you share the failure you experienced?

thanks,

No typo, it is the Denon AVP A1HD with full upgrade I have decommissioned. It is suffering the 'audio board' issues discussed on that thread, where (very probably) the caps have suffered from overheating and the channel balances are not maintained. It means surround music in particular, but also stereo, is persistently out of balance despite all the Audyssey settings. Sometimes this is by as much as 10dB. There are no spares and a one-off repair would probably be more than the unit is now worth. It is currently a very heavy paperweight in my music-room whilst my new Marantz AV8805 is now the 'heart' of the system. This is an excellent piece of kit but since it comes from the same company that built both my failed units, it is hard to be confident. As discussed on the other thread, there is little or no choice with the market for pre-pros being so minutely small. I am still trying to set up an additional cooling system for both Marantz and Oppo to try and extend their lives.

post #3663 of 3666 Old 07-25-2018, 05:27 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post
No typo, it is the Denon AVP A1HD with full upgrade I have decommissioned. It is suffering the 'audio board' issues discussed on that thread, where (very probably) the caps have suffered from overheating and the channel balances are not maintained. It means surround music in particular, but also stereo, is persistently out of balance despite all the Audyssey settings. Sometimes this is by as much as 10dB. There are no spares and a one-off repair would probably be more than the unit is now worth. It is currently a very heavy paperweight in my music-room whilst my new Marantz AV8805 is now the 'heart' of the system. This is an excellent piece of kit but since it comes from the same company that built both my failed units, it is hard to be confident. As discussed on the other thread, there is little or no choice with the market for pre-pros being so minutely small. I am still trying to set up an additional cooling system for both Marantz and Oppo to try and extend their lives.

In fairness to Denon, I think most of us got pretty good service lives out of our AVP-A1HDCI's before there were more than a few failures reported in the AVP thread. The DVD-A1UD on the other hand seemed to have quite a few early failures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 3666 Old 07-25-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm not sure if the disc assembly failures lasted throughout the production run but I'll point out that my actual player was an early unit, it was actually one of the 1st units that came to Canada. But given that my replacement assembly also failed in the same manner maybe it's something that was never addressed for the entire production life cycle.

post #3665 of 3666 Old 12-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Heya,

Some thread necromancy here. I've got the DVD-A1XV (DVD-5910ci) and wondering if there's any reason to keep it around as I have a A1UD on the way. I still have a fair bit of DVD content so the scaler in the A1XV still delvers in spades today. Has anyone owned both and can comment?
post #3666 of 3666 Old 12-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzardoz View Post
Heya,

Some thread necromancy here. I've got the DVD-A1XV (DVD-5910ci) and wondering if there's any reason to keep it around as I have a A1UD on the way. I still have a fair bit of DVD content so the scaler in the A1XV still delvers in spades today. Has anyone owned both and can comment?
Hello,

I still have both the DVD-A1UD and the DVD-A1XVA. Whilst I could use the DVD-A1UD for most types of disc, I prefer the DVD-A1XVA for spinning CDs and DVDs.

Like you mentioned, the scaler on the DVD-A1XVA does a great (if better) job of scaling DVDs than any other player I have. In fact many years ago, I used to help a friend who had a shop selling high end projectors and we always used my DVD-A1XVA at AV shows to demo DVDs on the projectors!

I would keep it, but then, the final decision is yours.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Denon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page