Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1035 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31021 of 31034 Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Yea, my problem is not with the age or slow loading times. Where you are apt to run into some problems is with it's refusal to load or play newer titles and titles from certain studio's.

The last firmware update was six years ago and even then it was having problems with titles using obfuscated play lists specifically from Lion's Gate and some 20th Century Fox offerings. I had several Lion's Gate BD's that would not load or skipped chapters like a monkey playing hopscotch on a pogo stick.

The BDP-05/51FD were second generation machines and were caught up in the financial instability almost bankruptcy/reorganization efforts when Pioneer Home Audio was divested and sold to Onkyo/Gibson Guitar. The machines more or less became orphans with regards to firmware keeping up.

I still have a BDP-05FD packed away. I would feel guilty selling it as a Bluray player unless the buyer clearly understood what they were buying as there is a level of frustration when you have a movie that just refuses to load or skips whole chapters in the middle of the film.
My folks' just rent the DVD versions off Redbox...it remains to be seen if they have issues. Would you think that would be the case too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31022 of 31034 Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcchifi View Post
My folks' just rent the DVD versions off Redbox...it remains to be seen if they have issues. Would you think that would be the case too?
No. DVD is red laser. DVD uses a completely different, much less sophisticated, copy protection scheme and does not require firmware updates to work with deviations in blu-ray's copy protection management. The drive in the BDP-05FD has both a blue and red laser for respective playback. Red is used for CD and DVD.

But, this unit is also known to have premature red laser diode failure quite often if you read through this thread. Replacement drives are no longer manufactured and any still available will usually eclipse the price of a new blu-ray player. You can't just substitute any BD drive as a replacement because the EDID metadata will mismatch with what the machine expects to see and it will not work.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Just as an FYI the drive part number is VXX332. They are listed from Pioneers parts department as out of stock with a price of ~ $400.

https://parts.pioneerelectronics.com...X3325&x=14&y=7

Last edited by b curry; 04-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #31023 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had a Pioneer BDP-05FD for awhile, it was the last the store had for sale, so whatever time frame that is, you guys know better than me. Anyway, when I first bought it, the salesman burned me a dvd to update it and it has never played 100% of the blue rays from Red box. So I quit renting blue ray dvd and just rented the others. Well, now I have a new projector coming and want to take advantage of blue ray dvd so I rented 2 yesterday from Red Box. It played the 1 but wouldn't play the other. The beginning of the DVD, the "loop" played but I couldn't get the movie to play when I hit play. IS there a current update that I can download or do I just throw it away and go buy a cheap blue ray dvd player?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31024 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMits View Post
I've had a Pioneer BDP-05FD for awhile, it was the last the store had for sale, so whatever time frame that is, you guys know better than me. Anyway, when I first bought it, the salesman burned me a dvd to update it and it has never played 100% of the blue rays from Red box. So I quit renting blue ray dvd and just rented the others. Well, now I have a new projector coming and want to take advantage of blue ray dvd so I rented 2 yesterday from Red Box. It played the 1 but wouldn't play the other. The beginning of the DVD, the "loop" played but I couldn't get the movie to play when I hit play. IS there a current update that I can download or do I just throw it away and go buy a cheap blue ray dvd player?
Thanks
It is a very old player, and there hasn't been a firmware update for several years. Time to throw it away. You can buy a BluRay player pretty inexpensively.
post #31025 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
... Time to throw it away. You can buy a BluRay player pretty inexpensively.
You can even buy a 4K UHD Blu-ray player pretty inexpensively too

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #31026 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks
Sure...

Scroll to near the bottom of the page, v1.74 is here:

http://help.pioneerhomeusa.com/suppo...&current=FALSE

Click on firmware. This is the last firmware issued for it.
Mkard likes this.

Last edited by b curry; 06-15-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #31027 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Sure...

Scroll to near the bottom of the page, v1.74 is here:

Click on firmware. This is the last firmware issued for it.
The link didn't work for me, but I found it on the Pioneer website. The last update was Oct. 2013, so not sure it is going to help with newly released discs. IMO, the only reason for MyMits to keep the player is for playing CDs and DVDs (he will continue to have problems with some BluRay discs), assuming the red laser still works.
post #31028 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Time for a new player, as I figured.
Suggestions,,,,,not the cheapest and I don't need the best. I don't need 4K, just something dependable that'll play rented Red Box blue ray dvd's.
meles likes this.
post #31029 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The link didn't work for me, but I found it on the Pioneer website. The last update was Oct. 2013, so not sure it is going to help with newly released discs. IMO, the only reason for MyMits to keep the player is for playing CDs and DVDs (he will continue to have problems with some BluRay discs), assuming the red laser still works.

Sorry it didn't work for you. It works for me so I'm not sure... I took a look at the link and it's still working for me.

Sure, as I said, it's the last firmware issued which was also around the same time Pioneer was in deep financial trouble, nearly bankrupt, and shortly before they sold off the audio division to Onkyo.

post #31030 of 31034 Old 06-15-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Suggestions,,,,,not the cheapest and I don't need the best. I don't need 4K, just something dependable that'll play rented Red Box blue ray dvd's.
I would suggest a Sony BDP-S1700. They go on sale with regularity for $50-$65 and do a very nice job. I use one for my outdoor/backyard theater and its held up very well.
post #31031 of 31034 Old 06-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
If you want to be 4K ready the Sony X700 would be a fine, fine choice, but much more expensive than a cheap bluray player.

Don't throw your Pioneer away. It is considered a fine CD player.
Mkard likes this.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
post #31032 of 31034 Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Sony X700 if you want to be ready for 4K and Dolby Vision, but much more than basic bluray player.

Don't throw your Pioneer away. Excellent CD player.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
post #31033 of 31034 Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have v1.74 loaded on mine. I believe that Redbox worked last time I rented a DVD/BD disk. Though it's been a while.
I mostly get Netflix disks and they have been solid up to this point.

Definitely keep the Pioneer. Stellar DACs for music CDs.

Quote:
Mkard likes this.
post #31034 of 31034 Old 08-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Still a good'un

Hey,

Glad that this unit is still serving some folk's needs. I just today had reason to unbox my 2008/9 $100 purchase BD-51FD to provide region-free DVD for my sister-in-law's room. Works like a champ. Keep 'em clean!

'chuss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page