"Static-ey" Picture on Blu-ray? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it normal for an HDTV picture to appear "static-ey"?

I'm not talking normal, black-and-white turn-the-rabbit-ears-a-little-to-the-left static. But whenever I get close to a blu ray demo display, it looks to me like the individual color pixels seem to scintillate and change constantly - like colorful static.

Personally I find this annoying and since I blow my picture up to 15' diagonal on the wall, I would imagine this effect would get downright irritating.

I've only seen blu ray demos in stores, so I realize that they may not be using the best connections.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Tiki Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
absolutely not. I see it all the time when I watch blu-ray movies. But not when watching content from cable/dish providers. I've read its due to the source material which the movie is filmed in/with.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds more like you're seeing the effect of cable runs that are far too long. my picture is perfect and exhibits nothing like what you're describing. Do you really think so many people would be so enamored of HD if that were really the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 320
If you see it when you "get close" then I would imagine that you see pixels. Every display size has an appropriate viewing distance and if you get closer then you will begin to see picture structure. The closer you get the more you see. With old displays and 480i you would see scanlines if you got too close. With digital displays you can see pixels.

It's also possible that the store demos are causing normal film grain to be much more obvious because the demos tend to turn on all the image "enhancing" features that videophiles hate. These things intend to artificially enhance contrast and sharpness but they also cause a lot of noise to become apparent.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page