Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #5941 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco View Post

I just got a new bd player, but I can't get the audio to work. I'm running it through a marantz SR5001 receiver. I've learned tonight that apparently it doesn't take multi-channel PCM--it only does 2 channel, which is the best I've been able to get.

As I understand it, the audio on the panasonic has to be set to PCM as the marantz can't decode the losless audio. I've tried using both the HDMI and optical connections for audio, but I still can't get it to work. I don't "need" the losless audio technically, but I don't know how to get the BD player to output DD5.1/DTS. I thought it would do it if I set it to PCM and turned the secondary audio on--I get sound in the movie menu, but none when I actually start the movie (using the move Wanted, btw).

Am I stuck having to buy a new receiver? How do I know which ones take multi-channel PCM? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere as all they talk about is DD7.1, DTS, etc. All the receivers that natively decode the losless codecs are out of my price range. I'd like to get one for around $300 if at all possible. Any suggestions for a cheap receiver?

Would I have the same issue with the PS3?

Joxer is correct. With optical, set this up just like a DVD player. Set the DD and DTS digital audio outputs to bitstream. Set your receiver input to auto (or whatever Marantz calls the setting that tells the receiver to process whatever you send it - DTS, DD, or PCM). Play a disc and select any Dolby or DTS track - I suggest using the best one available.

If you select a lossless track (dts-MA or TrueHD), the player will send a standard legacy version of DTS or DD 5.1 that your receiver can decode. And, the legacy versions that get sent are usually encoded at high bit rates and sound much better than the audio on DVDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by no-nonsense View Post

The 1.85:1 are the IMAX portions, the 2.40:1 are the 35mm Cinimascope, it's talked about in the review in the latest Sound and Vision mag.

I have a projector and when switching formats when channel surfing, I get a blue screen while it shifts. Am I going to experience this same blue screen for each format change in the movie? I am hoping someone with a PT-AX200U can chime in on this (as I am unsure if all projectors are the same).

How many times does this occurs (less than 10?)?
post #5943 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I am not so impressed with the upconversion of SD DVD's. Are we being honest on this board that this is a good upconverting player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5944 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvj View Post

Has anyone been able to connect a BD-35 to a Westinghouse VK-42F240S LCD display using HDMI?

I recently decided to upgrade from a Samsung Blu-ray BD-P1500 to the highly rated BD-35, due to the great current Amazon promo for the player.

Sadly, inspite of all efforts (and following all suggestions in the forum) including trying 3 different HDMI cables (all working flawlessly with other HDMI boxes - I am unable to escape the U-73 error message.

Has anyone here been able to connect the above Panny and Westy via HDMI???

If not, I guess I will have to return the player to Amazon (grrrrrrrrr).

I haven't been following your issue on the forum so maybe you've tried these suggestions:

* Make sure the TV and BD35 are powered OFF then connect BD35 directly to TV via HDMI. Now turn the TV ON first followed by the BD35. Make sure the TV input is set to the HDMI input that the BD35 is connected to. Do you see any start-up screen info on the TV? If yes, then try the next step. If not, I think there is something wrong with your TV.
* Put a regular DVD in the BD35 and see if it plays. For now, don't worry about audio throught the TV - just see if the picture comes up OK. If yes, then try the next step.
* Put in a BD and see if it plays. If yes, you've proven that the player is OK and the proper handshake is happening.
post #5945 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I guess we shouldn't get into this subject yet again (wrong thread). But remember you were listening to a totally different disk with remastered audio. If you just listened to the lossy DTS core on the Blu-ray instead of the lossless track I think you'd find it still sounded much better than your DVD copy. But regardless of the reason, it's true that many BDs sound better than the previous DVD release.

OK I see your point. Touche.
post #5946 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 07:01 AM

Just got my new 35 and was very excited to hook it up and get great 1080P video and lossless audio, but I am having a problem I can't figure out. Here is my setup:
35 connected via HDMI to my receiver (Pioneer Elite 82)
HDMI out to my TV (Sony KDS-A3000)

Before I put in my first Blu Ray disk I set up the player out output the audio as PCM. I figured that would let the player do the decoding of the lossless audio since my receiver is only HDMI verison 1.2. I then had the video resolution set to Auto - figuring 1080P would be fine.

When I put in the first disk, it would cut out video and audio and the receiver would go back and forth from PCM to just stereo and the HDMI light would keep flashing. This was on the menu of any disk I put in. I figured it may be a problem with my very old HDMI cable I was using. I tried to change the setting to see if I could get it to work. I went to video and set the HDMI out to 1080I and it was the same problem. I then changed it to 720P and it works perfectly. Played a whole movie.

I ordered a new HDMI version 1.3 cable from Monoprice, figuring that the cable was the culprit, but I just hooked it up and I have the same problem. I then hooked the player up directly to my TV to check the cable and it displayed the 1080P/24P video flawlessly, so it looks like my problem is the receiver. What should I do to solve this problem?

In my mind it looks like I have a choice between high quality video and lower quality audio, or high quality audio and lower quality video. This should not be a choice I should have to make. Any suggestions?
post #5947 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffphil View Post

Just got my new 35 and was very excited to hook it up and get great 1080P video and lossless audio, but I am having a problem I can't figure out. Here is my setup:
35 connected via HDMI to my receiver (Pioneer Elite 82)
HDMI out to my TV (Sony KDS-A3000)

Before I put in my first Blu Ray disk I set up the player out output the audio as PCM. I figured that would let the player do the decoding of the lossless audio since my receiver is only HDMI verison 1.2. I then had the video resolution set to Auto - figuring 1080P would be fine.

When I put in the first disk, it would cut out video and audio and the receiver would go back and forth from PCM to just stereo and the HDMI light would keep flashing. This was on the menu of any disk I put in. I figured it may be a problem with my very old HDMI cable I was using. I tried to change the setting to see if I could get it to work. I went to video and set the HDMI out to 1080I and it was the same problem. I then changed it to 720P and it works perfectly. Played a whole movie.

I ordered a new HDMI version 1.3 cable from Monoprice, figuring that the cable was the culprit, but I just hooked it up and I have the same problem. I then hooked the player up directly to my TV to check the cable and it displayed the 1080P/24P video flawlessly, so it looks like my problem is the receiver. What should I do to solve this problem?

In my mind it looks like I have a choice between high quality video and lower quality audio, or high quality audio and lower quality video. This should not be a choice I should have to make. Any suggestions?

I have a vsx-72 that works fine. I don't think the 82 will pass 1080p. I know the 72 won't. I think you have to get the 92 for that feature. Try setting the resolution to 720p. Also, did you get the firmware update that was required for the 82 and 72 to take care of HDMI handshake issues. I know my 72 would not work with my HD-DVD player until I got the update. It is free.
post #5948 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I have a BD55 hooked up with both analog and coax. I have a hard time hearing any differences between lossless over analog (with secondary audio turned off) and the high bit rate lossy versions over coax.

Now I don't feel bad that I sent the 55 back. It is nice to have a confirmation from another person.

Thanks, Wade
post #5949 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

I have a vsx-72 that works fine. I don't think the 82 will pass 1080p. I know the 72 won't. I think you have to get the 92 for that feature. Try setting the resolution to 720p. Also, did you get the firmware update that was required for the 82 and 72 to take care of HDMI handshake issues. I know my 72 would not work with my HD-DVD player until I got the update. It is free.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am pretty sure that the 82 does pass 1080P, I have my XBox Elite hooked up at 1080P and it displays fine. According to the receiver manual it does pass 1080P on HDMI.

Also, I didn't get the firmware update for the 82. I read about something like that, but didn't have any problems until now. Plus, I didn't think I could get it because I didn't buy the 82 from an "authorized" dealer.

Am I just screwed by my receiver? What else can I do?
post #5950 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrw View Post

Okay, I got it, speaker management didn't cross my mind. I've been happy with the flexibility my Denon 3803 gives me, I'll have to weigh that with the options in the 55 and the added complexity of more than one source for an input. I do have a harmony remote though, so I should be able to make it transparent.

Thanks!

I also have a BD55K, 3803 and a Harmony 880. We may have to PM on the side with our setups...I will be using the Rives Audio Disc mentioned in this Thread to tweak my Auido set up over the holidays.

HD-XA1, HD-A2, BDP-S300 and DMP-BD55K owner
post #5951 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Does it *really* matter?

The manual shows a diagram and describes connecting the BD35 through a router. This was touched upon in a much earlier thread - briefly. The user did NOT recommend direct connection to the modem. Why not?

I don't use a router. Don't have one. Don't need one. I have a cable modem wired via LAN cable directly into my computer. No other devices use this modem.

I have no interest in BD-Live (for the time being.) Since the BD35 needs a firmware update infrequently, why couldn't I just hook my modem up to the BD35, fire up the BD35 and let it do its thing, shut it off and disconnect it from the modem? Caveats? Drawbacks? Gotchas?

I *really* don't want to buy a router, but if I must, who can recommend a small, simple, reliable router for this function? Thanks.

Connecting your BD35 directly to your modem should work, try it.
You haven't needed a router because , up till now, you've only had one internet-ready device. That is unusual and will become more so as time goes on. You now have two internet-ready devices.
Perhaps you will someday soon you get an xbox360, PS3, a wireless laptop or some other wi-fi device. Then you'll have to scramble for a router.
A router is cheap to buy and so easy to use. For your purposes, it should be just plug-n-play. You might even find it fun to explore using one.
Hardly matters what make/model one would get, but a model with wireless access will help "future proof" your network.
How does the neighborhood of 20-25 bucks for a router sound to you?
These are decent examples:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156038
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833181093

Possible problem with driect connection to a modem might include lack of connection until the MAC address of your computer gets cleared from the modem and is replaced by the MAC address of your player (every internet device has a MAC address or number, associated with it). This would require a "reset" (i.e. brief unplugging) of your modem after any new device is connected. A bit of an inconvenience.

to each his own...
post #5952 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

XP, without additional third-party software, creates "data" disks in a new(ish) format that is readable on Windows computers. It uses the "Mt. Rainier" format (google it if you care) for the CDs it writes, which is readable on all Windows machines, but not necessarily on other platforms or hardware devices. The universally-read CD format is ISO 9660, not Mr. Rainier. That's what the Panasonic hardware is going to try to read. So essentially, XP writes CDs for other Windows machines, while Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc., write CDs to standards for ALL computers.

To make a long story short, you either need third party software like Nero, etc. (most computers come with one or the other preinstalled), or you're going to need to get software updates directly from Panasonic, or you can download them directly if you connect a network line to the BR player and let it access the internet itself.

That's odd. I (like many others) have XP and have followed the Panasonic standard Windows XP writing PDF instructions which is posted on their website http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c..._Procedure.pdf and the upgrade went fine. No third party software needed. Upgrade went just as described using XP and no thrid party software needed.

Dave
post #5953 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ol View Post

that's odd. I (like many others) have xp and have followed the panasonic standard windows xp writing pdf instructions which is posted on their website http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c..._procedure.pdf and the upgrade went fine. No third party software needed. Upgrade went just as described using xp and no thrid party software needed.

dave

+1

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
post #5954 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Possible? Yes. Announced? No. And Remember, Blockbuster is also launching their online movies-on-demand service and will probably need hardware partners for that. I'm not speaking with any specific insight, just mentioning that Netflix is not the only game in town for this type of functionality.

I've been playing around with the Samsung BD-P2500 a bit lately and it is pretty impressive (and HD Netflix does work).

-CB

I called Panasonic when I was researching the whole Master Aduio Essential thing, and while my vote might not get to the same people CB's does, I asked them to consider the add of Netflix to the BD35/55.

However, from a product life cycle perspective, they would almost have to already have Netflix in the works for it to make sense tto add it to these models.

The next generation model(s) of Panasonic's Blu-ray players are probably already well along in the product development cylce.

post #5955 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf View Post

No pilot light. You're good.

-Brent

That's good! I never could keep a pilot light lit anyway.

post #5956 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I am not so impressed with the upconversion of SD DVD's. Are we being honest on this board that this is a good upconverting player?

I guess it depends on one's experiences and expectations. I find the SD upconverting to be subpar when compared to a good upconverting player. I was going to sell my Oppo 983 when I got the BD35, but after seeing its image, the tradeoff is not worth the couple hundred dollars I'd get.

I don't know how it does on the HQV tests, but I found the picture too noisy to bother with testing the player's deinterlacing abilities.
post #5957 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

I guess it depends on one's experiences and expectations. I find the SD upconverting to be subpar when compared to a good upconverting player. I was going to sell my Oppo 983 when I got the BD35, but after seeing its image, the tradeoff is not worth the couple hundred dollars I'd get.

I don't know how it does on the HQV tests, but I found the picture too noisy to bother with testing the player's deinterlacing abilities.

I had to turn down the sharpness on the player to fix the noise.
BTW: Does anybody know what 3D NR and Integrated NR does?
post #5958 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I agree, but I also think it depends on your point of reference. The BD35 SD pq is poor compared to my Denon DVD-1600. It's bad enough that I'm either going to keep my Denon just for SD, or return the BD35 and wait for the Oppo BDP-83. But if you've never seen how good SD can look, the BD35 is probably ok.
post #5959 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The manual shows a diagram and describes connecting the BD35 through a router. This was touched upon in a much earlier thread - briefly. The user did NOT recommend direct connection to the modem. Why not?

I don't use a router. Don't have one. Don't need one. I have a cable modem wired via LAN cable directly into my computer. No other devices use this modem.

...why couldn't I just hook my modem up to the BD35, fire up the BD35 and let it do its thing, shut it off and disconnect it from the modem? ...
I *really* don't want to buy a router, but if I must, who can recommend a small, simple, reliable router for this function? Thanks.

If your cable modem is also a DHCP server (many/most are), just connect the player and follow the instructions in the manual. There is no downside. Unless someone is writing BD Live trojans.

If your modem is not a DHCP server follow the instructions in the BD35 manual, but they might not work. You may need help from your ISP.

If you need a router there are many wireless and wired 4 port routers that are $25 or less. Any brand will do if you are not going to use the wireless capability.Wireless is fine because they will have 4 ports and you just ignore the wireless part unless you want it.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #5960 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

So what did he say that got him banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

Too many posts about price deals linked to Big Picture Big Sound and the link to his website after his signature.

Too many posts about price deals could be a reason for some type of moderator action such as deleting or editing the offending posts. But a signature linking to his web site should be perfectly OK as long as his web site is related to the subject of the thread (which it is).

As others have noted, Chris apparently has not been banned. No one should ever be banned except for the most outrageously offensive behavior, and even then the group should probably be polled to see if most (or at least many) people agree that banning is appropriate. I have seen organizations damaged greatly by self-serving self-righteous meddling. This forum is too valuable to suffer that fate. I ask the moderators to remain open-minded.
post #5961 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question about the 55 vs. the 50. A vendor I like has both models, but the 50 costs a couple hundred dollars *more* than the 55. When I asked them why, they said because the 50 is a better unit. Does that make any sense?
post #5962 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Does it *really* matter?

I have no interest in BD-Live (for the time being.) Since the BD35 needs a firmware update infrequently, why couldn't I just hook my modem up to the BD35, fire up the BD35 and let it do its thing, shut it off and disconnect it from the modem? Caveats? Drawbacks? Gotchas?

Search Linksys (CISCO) Amazon,Tigerdirect, Newegg,etc I think mine is a wrt54G (wireless).Widely Used with easy setup.
post #5963 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post

That's odd. I (like many others) have XP and have followed the Panasonic standard Windows XP writing PDF instructions which is posted on their website http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c..._Procedure.pdf and the upgrade went fine. No third party software needed. Upgrade went just as described using XP and no thrid party software needed.

Dave

The OP misunderstands Mt. Rainier. It is a Philips opitcal drive packet writing technology. XP does not support it natively; Vista does.

I've used an XP machine to do firmware updates for Panasonic displays and players without problems. Following the instructions is always good.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #5964 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco View Post

So I guess a potential possibility is to step up to the bd55? It looks like my receiver does have a 7.1 analog input, so I can run the hdmi directly to the TV for the 1080p video, and use the 7.1 input on the receiver for the HD audio?

But there still seems like there should be a way to use the optical output on the panasonic....

You could try a HDMI splitter
post #5965 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

There are clear rules here, and while they may discourage some expert and helpful posters, they also help to keep us from being swamped by info-mercials, self serving recomemdations and fake endorsements. Minor infractions aside Chris has a lot to contribute and hopefully he will be back.

Actually, there's not clear rules. There's moderators here that have signatures advertising their business or web site.

All Chris was doing was answering questions about a deal that apparently was removed from Amazon's site. The info about the deal happened to be recapped on his website, but so what.

If anything, the rules are very unclear.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #5966 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

I have a question about the 55 vs. the 50. A vendor I like has both models, but the 50 costs a couple hundred dollars *more* than the 55. When I asked them why, they said because the 50 is a better unit. Does that make any sense?

The BD55 is better than the BD50 in almost every way. But its list price is lower because the market is more competitive now, and maybe because the economy tanked. The vendor would of course be thrilled to sell you the older unit at a higher price to get it out of his inventory.
post #5967 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

No, I don't have a tv, I have a Mits hd1000 projector that is 720p. I will play around with the player's settings, however, as my Dish receiver shows slightly better (but not by much) through this projector at the 1080i setting than it does when set to 720p.

I run the Dish dvr set top box as well as my OPPO dvd player through my A/V receiver via HDMI and then again via HDMI from the receiver to the projector. I plan on doing the same with the Panny 35. In most cases I really can't tell much difference between 1080i and 720p. I suppose the real difference will be seen through the Panny 35 whenever I upgrade my projector to a 1080p model.

It doesn't matter TV/Projector if it cannot handle 1080P SIGNAL then you will have to reduce the res of the BD35 to match. BD35 default is set to auto which starts at 1080P then 1080I,720P etc. Problems occurs when handshake is not handled(HDCP) properly through A/V.
This seems to be a frequent occurrence with many a/v units
*Note connected directly IMO the handshake would occur, it works with my 720P projector
As per pg 28 set HDMI Video Format to 720P, it should stay that way through power on/off but not if you do a general reset or update firmware.
FYI:I am also attached to a projector Epson HT 720P but not through a/v unit (legacy Onkyo 7.1 non-HDMI) All HDMI (video) connections are through a 4x1 HDMI switch, all audio is digital to the Onkyo.
I agree can't see a difference between 720P/1080I and that's on a 100" screen
IMO I get great PQ with the BD35 playing BR to the 720P projector
Also have a new Panny 42 1080P plasma in bedroom. I keep switching the BD35 between them,Blu-Ray is fantastic at 1080P
No money for second BD35 and Upgrade the projector to 1080P
post #5968 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:

I have a projector and when switching formats when channel surfing, I get a blue screen while it shifts. Am I going to experience this same blue screen for each format change in the movie?

The player keeps outputting the same video format when the aspect ratio changes, so your projector won't have a problem.
post #5969 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:44 AM

I was surprised how easy it was to connect the BD55 to the Internet. I plugged in the ethernet patch cord to to my Linksys wireless bridge and the player immediately started downloading Firmware 1.6. I was prepared to enter in all the Internet protocols, etc., but found that the BD55 configured itself with all the right information.

The problem is that I walked away when it was downloading and didn't catch the verification that it completed successfully.

How do check the current Firmware version on the BD55?
post #5970 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 AM

i just got my bd35 and have the 1.6 firmware installed.

connected to a denon 3808 and then to a sony kds-a3000

what i've noticed is that if i play a truehd sountrack (bladerunner) via bitsream i get audio sync issues (lag). if i decode in the player via pcm i get no (or less) sync problem.

what's the deal here? is this a known problem and is there a fix for it? running the latest firmware so that can't solve the problem.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page