Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #5971 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttlieb View Post

I agree, but I also think it depends on your point of reference. The BD35 SD pq is poor compared to my Denon DVD-1600. It's bad enough that I'm either going to keep my Denon just for SD, or return the BD35 and wait for the Oppo BDP-83. But if you've never seen how good SD can look, the BD35 is probably ok.

What about upscaling versus deinterlacing performance? I mean, this unit could be bad at scaling but good at deinterlacing. If the deinterlacing is adequate, then it probably would serve o.k. as a DVD player for 720p displays, since those displays usually work best with a 480p input (no prior upscaling). If you get noisy output at 480p on a quality 720p display, then you would have to conclude that the whole DVD section is poor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I have a projector and when switching formats when channel surfing, I get a blue screen while it shifts. Am I going to experience this same blue screen for each format change in the movie? I am hoping someone with a PT-AX200U can chime in on this (as I am unsure if all projectors are the same).

How many times does this occurs (less than 10?)?

You don't state the source of your signal, does it go through a box.
If so can the box be set to a hard res setting not auto or native mode
If set to native/auto mode each time you go from a sd/hd channel the projector will have to re-sync
I have a Epson HT 720P connect to DirecTv HR22 HD DVR if I set output on the HR22 to 720P I see no blue screen when channel surfing, but if I change the res on the HR22 from say 720P/1080I screen will go blue until HDMI sync occurs.
post #5973 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffphil View Post

Just got my new 35 and was very excited to hook it up and get great 1080P video and lossless audio, but I am having a problem I can't figure out. Here is my setup:
35 connected via HDMI to my receiver (Pioneer Elite 82)
HDMI out to my TV (Sony KDS-A3000)

Before I put in my first Blu Ray disk I set up the player out output the audio as PCM. I figured that would let the player do the decoding of the lossless audio since my receiver is only HDMI verison 1.2. I then had the video resolution set to Auto - figuring 1080P would be fine.

When I put in the first disk, it would cut out video and audio and the receiver would go back and forth from PCM to just stereo and the HDMI light would keep flashing. This was on the menu of any disk I put in. I figured it may be a problem with my very old HDMI cable I was using. I tried to change the setting to see if I could get it to work. I went to video and set the HDMI out to 1080I and it was the same problem. I then changed it to 720P and it works perfectly. Played a whole movie.

I ordered a new HDMI version 1.3 cable from Monoprice, figuring that the cable was the culprit, but I just hooked it up and I have the same problem. I then hooked the player up directly to my TV to check the cable and it displayed the 1080P/24P video flawlessly, so it looks like my problem is the receiver. What should I do to solve this problem?

In my mind it looks like I have a choice between high quality video and lower quality audio, or high quality audio and lower quality video. This should not be a choice I should have to make. Any suggestions?

Yes but you may not like it.
Purchase a HDMI 1x2 splitter 1 out to a/v 1 out to the tv
example:
http://www.firefold.com/1X2-HDMI-Splitter-P430C492.aspx

see post #5976
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5974 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttlieb View Post

I agree, but I also think it depends on your point of reference. The BD35 SD pq is poor compared to my Denon DVD-1600. It's bad enough that I'm either going to keep my Denon just for SD, or return the BD35 and wait for the Oppo BDP-83. But if you've never seen how good SD can look, the BD35 is probably ok.

Hmm...that's not what the reviewers at Sound and Vision and Home Theater mags thought.

from the Home Theater mag review --

"The player's upconversion of regular DVDs was also very impressive. It passed all the tough upconversion tests on the Silicon Optix HQV DVD with the exception of the Assorted Cadence test. Compared with other high-def disc and upconverting DVD players I've handled, its performance here rivals, if not exceeds, the best of them."

from the Sound and Vision mag review --

"Panasonic did a great job with HD video processing on the DMP-BD50, but fell short with standard definition DVD playback. Not anymore. These new players did outstanding in our new video processing test set....These are the first Panasonic players that pass all of our video processing tests for deinterlacing. The UniPhier [Panasonic's video decoder] also did a great job with our resolution test...You would truly be hard pressed to find better video performance with Blu-Ray and DVD playback at any price."

What did you find so inferior with the BD35? I haven't watched too many standard DVDs yet with my BD55, but haven't seen any reason yet to re-connect my Oppo DVD player.
post #5975 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This could be a solution to many of the HDMI problems people are having running through A/V units with audio and video
Requirements:
1 HDMI 1x2 splitter
1 HDMI 4x1 (or greater) switch
enough HDMI cablea to connect all your inputs
Configuration:
Connect all HDMI input devices to the switch (cable box, Sat Box, BR, DVR etc)
Connect switch output to the splitter
Connect 1 output from the splitter to your A/V unit for audio the other output goes to your (Display, TV, Projector) for the video

Examples:
http://www.firefold.com/HDMI-Switche...ters-C492.aspx
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10110
post #5976 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donstim View Post

What did you find so inferior with the BD35? I haven't watched too many standard DVDs yet with my BD55, but haven't seen any reason yet to re-connect my Oppo DVD player.

I don't mean to bash the BD35. Overall, for the majority of content, I think it's got good pq. Most of the problems are with older, SD TV based content that is pretty poor to begin with. I see a lot of deinterlacing artifacts, and some horrible moire patterns.
post #5977 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4291 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this question, but I'll ask anyway?

I just watched the second "Austin Powers" BD movie last night (The Spy Who Shagged Me) on my BD35 and could not get a TrueHD track on this movie. I'm bitstreaming it to an Onkyo 905 and even though I selected Dolby TrueHD on the disk menu, the Onkyo still says Dolby EX. I played the first movie fine and it read "Dolby TrueHD". I haven't tried the third one yet. Would others on this forum verify for me that they're getting Dolby TrueHD on the second "Austin Powers" movie?

lujan
507 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #5978 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donstim View Post

Hmm...that's not what the reviewers at Sound and Vision and Home Theater mags thought.

from the Home Theater mag review --

"The player's upconversion of regular DVDs was also very impressive. It passed all the tough upconversion tests on the Silicon Optix HQV DVD with the exception of the Assorted Cadence test. Compared with other high-def disc and upconverting DVD players I've handled, its performance here rivals, if not exceeds, the best of them."

from the Sound and Vision mag review --

"Panasonic did a great job with HD video processing on the DMP-BD50, but fell short with standard definition DVD playback. Not anymore. These new players did outstanding in our new video processing test set....These are the first Panasonic players that pass all of our video processing tests for deinterlacing. The UniPhier [Panasonic's video decoder] also did a great job with our resolution test...You would truly be hard pressed to find better video performance with Blu-Ray and DVD playback at any price."

I get great results even with Homegrown DVDs
DirecTv HR22 HD source HD or SD
Recorder Philips 3575 HDD DVR
Playback BD35
Output Panny 42" 1080P Plasma
PQ is equal to or better than commercial HQ VCR tapes
post #5979 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:07 PM

Hi. I saw in the BD55 book something about changing from/to 24p. Looked like you needed to change back and forth depending on circumstances, whether dvd, bd, etc. and also looked like it depended on your tv set.

I have a Pioneer 111FD but don't understand about the 72hz thing in connection with the bluray player.

Do I do anything depending on what kind of disc I'm playing or do the BD55 and the 111FD automatically recognize the situation? I know the 111 does 72hz, but don't know if I need to set something either on the player or the tv.

Thanks.
post #5980 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

It doesn't matter TV/Projector if it cannot handle 1080P SIGNAL then you will have to reduce the res of the BD35 to match. BD35 default is set to auto which starts at 1080P then 1080I,720P etc. Problems occurs when handshake is not handled(HDCP) properly through A/V.
This seems to be a frequent occurrence with many a/v units
*Note connected directly IMO the handshake would occur, it works with my 720P projector
As per pg 28 set HDMI Video Format to 720P, it should stay that way through power on/off but not if you do a general reset or update firmware.
FYI:I am also attached to a projector Epson HT 720P but not through a/v unit (legacy Onkyo 7.1 non-HDMI) All HDMI (video) connections are through a 4x1 HDMI switch, all audio is digital to the Onkyo.
I agree can't see a difference between 720P/1080I and that's on a 100" screen
IMO I get great PQ with the BD35 playing BR to the 720P projector
Also have a new Panny 42 1080P plasma in bedroom. I keep switching the BD35 between them,Blu-Ray is fantastic at 1080P
No money for second BD35 and Upgrade the projector to 1080P

I know what you mean about the money part but I think after the first of the year the 1080p projectors will come down in price. I'm sure you follow the under $3000 projector section here at AVS and you can tell there are a few "bargains" showing up already.

Amazon is shipping me a new BD35 to replace the one that either was defective or that I screwed up with an improper update disk. My screen is pretty large too - a 106" Carada BW and the seating is only about 15' away. This, in fact, is the real reason I wanted a Blu Ray in the first place although I've been very happy with the upconversion of the OPPO dvd player I have. I am sure the difference you see in your two displays is not only because one can play 1080p but also because the Plasma is much, much smaller. Nonetheless, a blu ray at 720p should look awesome on the big screen.

shortspark
post #5981 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post

I have a panny 55k blueray player and an outlaw 990. I am using a hdmi for video to my kuro and 7.1 output to mu outlaw preamp processor. Do I need to set speaker levels and distances in the panny or in the outlaw for watching disc in the blueray player? Also does it matter if I set the panny to pcm or bitstream????? I have been searching for the answers to these questions but can not find a definitive answer. I have seen many contradictions.

Thanks in advance

I don't have the 55K but, I did use an Outlaw 990 for awhile with another Blu ray player. The 990 will do an analog to digital conversion on the signal it receives from the analog inputs.........so you can do all your speaker setting in the Outlaw, not the player if you'd like. That's what I did. I suppose one could argue why do the extra DAC conversion....but lossless audio sounded very good to me doing it this way. My particular player had very limited speaker settings. With the DVD player that I have, I defeated the player's speaker settings and sent PCM to the Outlaw. If you want to use the player's speaker settings and not the Outlaw's, I believe you select the multi channel audio option on the Outlaw, I forget what it's called. You could listen both ways and see if you like one better than the other.

As far as PCM vs. Bitstream, with your Outlaw, if you want to hear lossless audio you must have your player do the decoding. I've not seen the Panny setup menu, however normally when one wants the player to do the decoding you select PCM as the digital output. (to the analog outputs on the player)

Edit: See post #6017, you can selecting either Bitstream or PCM on the BD55, either will give you decoded Lossless audio via the analog outs.

Regards,
John

Regards, John
Video: Digital Projection 330 HighLite HC, Stewart 1.3, Radiance Pro, Anamorphic Lens
Audio: Trinnov Altitude16, QSC iCore250, QSC DCA 1622 Amps
Speakers: Procella P8's, P6V's, P18's, Triad Silvers 11.3.4
post #5982 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 PM

on the panasonic bd35, is there an output function on the blu ray player that controls what it outputs in such as 1080i /1080p etc, or does it adapt automatically to the tv, on what formats it accepts?

Is anthing adjustable as far as picture quality or format on the blu ray player itself?

Thanks
post #5983 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 PM

I just purchased the DMPBD35 player along with a
Samsung LN46 A630, and was wondering what settings I should use on the player before I begin calibrating the Samsung LCD.
post #5984 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

I know what you mean about the money part but I think after the first of the year the 1080p projectors will come down in price. I'm sure you follow the under $3000 projector section here at AVS and you can tell there are a few "bargains" showing up already.

Amazon is shipping me a new BD35 to replace the one that either was defective or that I screwed up with an improper update disk. My screen is pretty large too - a 106" Carada BW and the seating is only about 15' away. This, in fact, is the real reason I wanted a Blu Ray in the first place although I've been very happy with the upconversion of the OPPO dvd player I have. I am sure the difference you see in your two displays is not only because one can play 1080p but also because the Plasma is much, much smaller. Nonetheless, a blu ray at 720p should look awesome on the big screen.

The plasma is the first TV in 15 years I'm a long time projector person. The plasma replaced a bedroom aging 1024/768 projector on it's 3rd lamp. I just though I give the plasma a try. I do miss the 90" bedroom picture. When I save enough schiels I'll replace the 720P with a 1080P sending the 720P to the bedroom and relegate the plasma to the game/computer room
Hard to beat a 100" + screen.
PS Need a second BD35 currently shifting it between the 2 systems.
post #5985 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this question, but I'll ask anyway?

I just watched the second "Austin Powers" BD movie last night (The Spy Who Shagged Me) on my BD35 and could not get a TrueHD track on this movie. I'm bitstreaming it to an Onkyo 905 and even though I selected Dolby TrueHD on the disk menu, the Onkyo still says Dolby EX. I played the first movie fine and it read "Dolby TrueHD". I haven't tried the third one yet. Would others on this forum verify for me that they're getting Dolby TrueHD on the second "Austin Powers" movie?

This sounds like what was happening for me about 50 pages ago in this thread. I have the 805. I was getting True but my 805 was indicating Dolby Digital. I used the Reset on the Menu to return to factory settings. Once I did my settings again, my 805 indicated the proper audio formats.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #5986 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

Possible problem with driect connection to a modem might include lack of connection until the MAC address of your computer gets cleared from the modem and is replaced by the MAC address of your player (every internet device has a MAC address or number, associated with it). This would require a "reset" (i.e. brief unplugging) of your modem after any new device is connected. A bit of an inconvenience.

But as rarely as a firmware update is needed, no big deal. Thanks for the info. I shall consider a router. Cost isn't really the problem. It's more of a space/simplicity thing.
post #5987 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Don't know if this has been asked, cuz I didn't want to search 200 pages! Anyway .....

When playing a 4:3 format program on a 16:9 tv, my BD35 displays light gray pillar box bars on either side of the image. Is there any way to change the bar color to black? I can find nothing in the owner's maual or by going through the control menus. The gray bars are very ugly and distracting in a dark room. All other program formats display properly with black letter box bars as required. I should also note that my old DVD player (Rotel) playing back on the same tv, displayed black pillar box bars. Nothing has been changed on the tv between the two players.
post #5988 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4291 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

This sounds like what was happening for me about 50 pages ago in this thread. I have the 805. I was getting True but my 805 was indicating Dolby Digital. I used the Reset on the Menu to return to factory settings. Once I did my settings again, my 805 indicated the proper audio formats.

That may be the case but why did it correctly indicate "Dolby TrueHD" on the first AP movie? I'll try the third one tonight.

lujan
507 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #5989 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnfromQueensNY View Post

As the owner of a projector (Optima HD70) I was wondering if I would be able to send a 480p signal to it with this player, in order to display DVDs in their native format, if I wish. (Sometimes it's better to stick with the native resolution rather than blow it up to 720p.)

Thanks for any insight about output choices for these machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

DVDs are natively 480i, not 480p. "Progressive scan" DVD players were all the rage a few years ago because they produced a 480p output.

I have my BD35 hooked up to my 480p Optoma H31 projector via DVI (with a HDMI to DVI adapter) and set the BD35 to 480p since that's the native res of my PJ.

Of course you have a 720p Projector, so as others have mentioned, you should set the player to 720p since that's the native resolution of your PJ, or 480P on the player if your PJ does a better job at scaling.

And while it's true that DVD's are 480i native, a projector is a progressive display, so it has to convert interlace to progressive to project, it's either gonna do it in the PJ (if you send it 480i) or in the DVD/Blu-ray player (if you set the output to 480p).
post #5990 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Don't know if this has been asked, cuz I didn't want to search 200 pages! Anyway .....

When playing a 4:3 format program on a 16:9 tv, my BD35 displays light gray pillar box bars on either side of the image. Is there any way to change the bar color to black? I can find nothing in the owner's maual or by going through the control menus. The gray bars are very ugly and distracting in a dark room. All other program formats display properly with black letter box bars as required. I should also note that my old DVD player (Rotel) playing back on the same tv, displayed black pillar box bars. Nothing has been changed on the tv between the two players.

Turn off the screen saver on the 35.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #5991 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

That may be the case but why did it correctly indicate "Dolby TrueHD" on the first AP movie? I'll try the third one tonight.

I don't know. I broke my 35 in on the Powers set. I got True all along but not the proper indiction in my 805 till I reset. True doesn't mix down to Dolby Digital so it seems likely you got True with the wrong indication.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #5992 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Hooked up my BD35 last night to my PJ and watched Kung Fu Panda

2 questions>

> Do you have to insert a formatted SD card to do firmware updates over the ethernet?

> When loading Kung Fu Panda I had to sit through a couple of trailers, I couldn't force the main menu. Tried all the menu buttons, skip, ff, etc. Is this how some Blu-ray discs are?? Or is there secret button to push to skip to the disc main menu?
post #5993 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

And while it's true that DVD's are 480i native, a projector is a progressive display, so it has to convert interlace to progressive to project, it's either gonna do it in the PJ (if you send it 480i) or in the DVD/Blu-ray player (if you set the output to 480p).

Scaling and interlacing/deinterlacing should be done in the device that does the better job with each of those tasks, don't you think? If your projector has a better deinterlacer, it would make sense to send 480i from the player. Of course, you'd need to use component for that. If the player does a better job, then let it output 480p.

The same goes for the upscaling. Most 720p TVs are actually 768, which potentially adds another scaling step, not to mention the loss of 48 lines of resolution, if you output 720 instead of 1080 from the player.
post #5994 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 4044
Threads merged

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5995 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Threads merged

Which threads?
post #5996 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

If your cable modem is also a DHCP server (many/most are), just connect the player and follow the instructions in the manual. There is no downside. Unless someone is writing BD Live trojans.

If your modem is not a DHCP server follow the instructions in the BD35 manual, but they might not work. You may need help from your ISP.

It is a Motorola Surfboard 5100. I assume it is DHCP, but no literature I can find says so. How can I tell for sure? (Computers aren't my "thing." )
post #5997 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Turn off the screen saver on the 35.

S~

That did it! Thanks. Who'd a thunk that the screensaver would do that?
post #5998 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:26 PM

any answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42inplasma View Post

on the panasonic bd35, is there an output function on the blu ray player that controls what it outputs in such as 1080i /1080p etc, or does it adapt automatically to the tv, on what formats it accepts?

Is anthing adjustable as far as picture quality or format on the blu ray player itself?

Thanks

post #5999 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Search Linksys (CISCO) Amazon,Tigerdirect, Newegg,etc I think mine is a wrt54G (wireless).Widely Used with easy setup.

Thanks. I need about a 15 foot long LAN cable, too. Any caveats there?
post #6000 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You could try a HDMI splitter

Link to such a beast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page