Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay912 View Post

Thanks BIslander for the detailed audio post. Your post should be printed in the Panasonic User Manual. Going forward, I think anyone with questions about audio settings should be referred to post #6017 on page 201.

I agree.

Anyone know if the "Re-Master" button is useful. Or what the "BD/SD" button does on the bottom right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amateur32 View Post

hi guys. sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but a simple question: i have been doing a lot of research on the blu-ray players out there, and am very close to pulling the trigger on the panny dmp 35. my only concern/question at this point is am i making a mistake to get a blu-ray player at all if my tv is not 1080p? would it still be a worthwhile investment to get the panny, if it is connected to a 720p tv? any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Whether you HDTV is 1080p or 720p does not matter. What does matter is if you HDTV can accept a 1080p signal and that you're not sitting too far away

post #6033 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I believe screen size my be a factor in what some of the reports have been regarding the BD35 upconverting capability PQ.

On a 42" or less, my BD35, BD30, BD-P1200 & HD-A35 look about equal.
On 60"-100", the BD-P1200 wins hands down. Too bad this player has blu-ray playback issues as I would keep it as my main BD/upconverting player instead of having 3 players for my HT room.

I agree. My Sammy BD1200 is now a very expensive (early adoptor) DVD player. I determined from my limited SD DVD testing that my Oppo 981 and BD35 were close in upconversion and the Sammy was the best. I have all three disk players connected to my 60" Sony A3000 via HDMI through my Onkyo 705.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6034 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post

Anyone know if the "Re-Master" button is useful. Or what the "BD/SD" button does on the bottom right?

The Remaster feature isn't very useful in my opinion, and you can alter that setting thru the regular settings menus anyway.
The BD/SD button switches between accessing the SD flash card slot (for images or audio files) vs the Blu-Ray Disc input. But you can do that from one of the menu buttons instead.
post #6035 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Interesting problem,

I have a panny XP30 dvd player which turns on/responds to my BD35 remote commands.

I modded my XP30 to play PAL foreign DVD's, so I need to keep that in the rack....how do I solve this problem??
post #6036 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
fleaman -- This has been answered several times in earlier posts. See page 33 of your BD35 manual, you can change the "Remote Control Code" - you have 3 choices. That way you won't have both players responding to the same remote.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #6037 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thanks
post #6038 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're welcome. It was easier to answer your question than it was to try to find the most recent post.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #6039 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moematthews View Post

I've had a Toshiba HD-A2 for a year-and-a-half. It was Toshiba's entry-level HD DVD player at the time. I was very pleasantly surprised at the PQ it puts out. Rich, detailed HD images. My plasma TV is non-1080p.

I've had my BD-35 for a few days, and I've watched a few different Blu-ray discs. (Spiderman 3, Trans Siberia, The Devil Wears Prada, Dave Matthews Live at Radio City) I realize the importance of good source material, but the PQ of the BD-35 has been disappointing compared to my HD DVD player. The Devil Wears Prada looked pretty good, but overall, images are softer, noticeably less sharp, with less contrast and colour saturation. Both players go to my AVR via HDMI and then to my TV via HDMI. There is no difference at all in set-up.

Is there any reason why this would happen? It certainly could be that all these discs were not good transfers - I have seen a few HD DVDs that were not good transfers, either. Even in The Devil Wears Prada, which looked good, the PQ was not as sharp or detailed as the best HD DVDs I've seen. Spiderman 3 looked a bit flat. I'm going to try to get "Batman Begins" next week. The HD DVD version was excellent - does anyone know how the Blu-ray version is?

OK - it turns out that I spoke too soon. Spiderman 3 actually looks very, very good. I didn't see much of it the first time when I got it for my son, and the lighting conditions were less than ideal. I definitely know better than to make a judgment like that, but given that the other Blu-ray discs I had seen were also underwhelming, I jumped the gun. I watched it again tonight with all the lights out, and the PQ is fantastic. Big relief, obviously. But the PQ on the Dave Matthews at Radio City disc is not great (thankfully, sound is); nor is PQ great on the early sections of Kingdom of Heaven, where a lot of material is shot in the early morning. Happily, none of this seems to be related to the capabilities of the BD35.
post #6040 of 15037 Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Son of networking problems....

So I am still having problems getting the BD35 onto the net. The router has the latest firmware, and has been reset. It shows the BD player on its tables. And the BD player gets DNS and IP addresses from the router. Oh yes, I put in a formatted SD card.

No matter what I do, tut the connection test fails. By I mean that "ET can't phone home". The unit some stuck in the local network. So I am looking for ways to hep it reach out to the net (for firmware updates and BD live material).

I have tried setting a static IP. I have used both the DNS supplied by the router and used the openDNS settings suggested earlier by another helpful forum post. No such luck.

Because the unit returns IP addresses and DNS settings dynamically (when I reset the unit or the router these tables repopulate) I don't think the problem is hardware (ie. does not seem like the BD player has a problem, and not the cabling or the router. I suspect it is either something more advanced I need to do at the router (set a DMZ zone? add some kind of port request?) or at the BD player (proxy server maybe?).

Can any networking gurus throw out some suggestions?

I had no problems updating the firmware on my BD-35 this morning with a wired Ethernet connection and no SD Card. I have the DNS server dissabled on my router so I had to use a static IP Address. I also used the ethernet connection from the Xbox360 which has DMZ enabled for full access to the net without connection problems.

You might want to open the DMZ port for so the BD player has unrestricted access to the net.
post #6041 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 01:09 AM

Liked: 11
Finally got my BD35 set up and things are looking and sounding great! I have to give a big shout out to the person who suggested an awesome way to update the firmware.

I have the Panasonic Powerline adaptor on order and was hearing about the problems with trying to burn a CD of the latest firmware so as suggested I brought the BD35 into my office where I have a Lynksis router and plugged a CAT5 cable into one of the open ports. Then I set up the BD35 to play out of my Panasonic portable DVD player. Once I was able to get a picture from the BD I plugged in the Ethernet cable and ran the network test and was good to go. I was able to manually update the firmware to 1.6 in about 7minutes. It showed me that it currently had v1.3 and if I wanted to update.

After it was done and it restarted, I brought it back into the living room and connected it to my receiver (Pio 1018) through HDMI and out to the TV. Watched Hancock with no problems! I have everything set to bitstream and the lights on my AVR showed me that everthing was all good.

I am sorry I forget who gave out that idea but it worked like a charm, Thanks.

Wesley Forbes
post #6042 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 231
"The picture on the Dave Matthews disk is not great." I was surprised to see this quote in a post above. Most reviews consider this the best concert disks produced for video quality. I have seen it used at the CES show last year for several demonstrations.
post #6043 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42inplasma View Post

on the panasonic bd35, is there an output function on the blu ray player that controls what it outputs in such as 1080i /1080p etc, or does it adapt automatically to the tv, on what formats it accepts?

Is anthing adjustable as far as picture quality or format on the blu ray player itself?

Thanks

Pg28 of the manual
post #6044 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

Dude, I'm not reading all of that!

I did it was GREAT. Thanks BIslander

HD-XA1, HD-A2, BDP-S300 and DMP-BD55K owner
post #6045 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes View Post

Finally got my BD35 set up and things are looking and sounding great! I have to give a big shout out to the person who suggested an awesome way to update the firmware.

I have the Panasonic Powerline adaptor on order and was hearing about the problems with trying to burn a CD of the latest firmware so as suggested I brought the BD35 into my office where I have a Lynksis router and plugged a CAT5 cable into one of the open ports. Then I set up the BD35 to play out of my Panasonic portable DVD player. Once I was able to get a picture from the BD I plugged in the Ethernet cable and ran the network test and was good to go. I was able to manually update the firmware to 1.6 in about 7minutes. It showed me that it currently had v1.3 and if I wanted to update.

After it was done and it restarted, I brought it back into the living room and connected it to my receiver (Pio 1018) through HDMI and out to the TV. Watched Hancock with no problems! I have everything set to bitstream and the lights on my AVR showed me that everthing was all good.

You're very welcome. Glad it worked well for you.
post #6046 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdimegli View Post

For those who only need to connect their player to the Ethernet occasionally (updates, special BD Live) this is a method proposed if you have a XP/Vista laptop with a wireless connection to your home network and a physical Ethernet port. It is adopted from someone who uses it for an XBOX.

1- With your laptop connected wirelessly to your network access point, connect the wired network connection on your laptop to the wired connection port of the Blu-ray player with any Ethernet cable.

2- Open the Network Connections list (Start> Connect to> Show All Connections, or My Computer > My Network Places > View Network Connections)

3- Right click your Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties from the list.

4-On Advanced tab, check the box to Allow other network users to connect through this computers Internet connection. See attached picture.

5- In the Home Networking Connection dropdown list choose Local Area Connection.

6- Uncheck the box to Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection.

Your player should now be using your laptop's connection and updating or searching.

NOTE this is not the method where the Wireless and LAN connections are "bridged" which requires a "crossover cable." Use a normal Cat5 before trying a crossover if the normal does not work; it may be a function of your specific HW components.. The bridge method sometimes shows a disconnect from wireless which has to be "repaired;" and also requires everything to be undone in order to use the direct port for connecting the laptop. The above method seems simpler but I have not tried it yet.

Excellent post! I'd tried to figure out how to do this 18 months ago when I got my Samsung 1200 player but could never quite get it right. I was on the right track based on what you posted. My network is on the 2nd floor of our house and our theater is in the basement and I have no intention of running any wires or buying a wireless gaming adapter just for FW updates (I also don't own a BD35/BD55 - just a BD30 which doesn't have ethernet). Thanks for taking the time to post it. It will be very useful to BD35/55 owners.
post #6047 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes View Post

I did the same thing yesterday. Brought the BD35 into my den, hooked it up to the TV I have there, plugged a cat 5 ethernet cable into a port on my router and the player and 10 minutes later I was done. I was thinking about buying and installing a powerline adapter but what I did was too easy and inexpensive. What I might do is buy a 100' cat 5 or 6 ethernet cable and just run it to the player from the router in my den the next time I do an upgrade. Cables are really cheap, especially if bought through Monoprice.
post #6048 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

"The picture on the Dave Matthews disk is not great." I was surprised to see this quote in a post above. Most reviews consider this the best concert disks produced for video quality. I have seen it used at the CES show last year for several demonstrations.

Interesting, because I definitely noticed the lack of contrast and sharpness. It was one reason I felt there might be something wrong with the player. It pales beside the HD DVD version of "2006 Music Cares Tribute to James Taylor" for PQ, although the two are shot in different environments. I've seen large venue concerts on HD Net look much better, as does the HD DVD version of "Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire at the Greek Theatre".

Here's what Ken Richardson of Sound and Vision Magazine had to say about the Dave Matthews Blu-ray:

"RCA's first Blu-ray title isn't quite the knockout that its parent, Sony BMG, was likely hoping for. Brian Malouf's Dolby TrueHD mix places you in the front of the hall, but the subtle surrounds (except during applause) don't evoke the grandeur of this hall. Still, the sound of the acoustic-guitar strings is remarkable, from treble scrape to bass resonance (with just enough support in the subwoofer). As for the picture, this isn't the sharpest I've seen; the stubble of Matthews is clear but not as 3-D as the stuff that stares back at me from my bathroom mirror. And the photography too often transitions from out-of-focus to in-focus"

Sorry to other readers for going off topic, but this might be a case of a DVD being overhyped for quality simply because of who is performing.
post #6049 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 231
So we don't get to far off the topic this will be my last reply regarding the Tim Matthews disk.

A few other reviews praising the Video production. High def digest calls it a 5 star transfer:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/964/...radiocity.html

Blu-Ray reviews calls the video breataking:
http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2699.shtml

DVD Talk calls it the most impressive transfer:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/30991...ty-music-hall/

Amazon Reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Matthews-.../dp/B000T4SWXO
post #6050 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

So we don't get to far off the topic this will be my last reply regarding the Dave Matthews disk.

A few other reviews praising the Video production. High def digest calls it a 5 star transfer:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/964/...radiocity.html

Blu-Ray reviews calls the video breataking:
http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2699.shtml

DVD Talk calls it the most impressive transfer:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/30991...ty-music-hall/

Amazon Reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Matthews-.../dp/B000T4SWXO

Fixed

Tim
post #6051 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moematthews View Post

Sorry to other readers for going off topic, but this might be a case of a DVD being overhyped for quality simply because of who is performing.

Well stated. IMO, even the performer is overhyped.

For the absolute best in BD video quality, check out:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/308/...youintime.html

Everything Trent does is top notch.
post #6052 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4220 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

I don't know. I broke my 35 in on the Powers set. I got True all along but not the proper indiction in my 805 till I reset. True doesn't mix down to Dolby Digital so it seems likely you got True with the wrong indication.

I just watched the third AP movie and it correctly indicated "Dolby TrueHD" on the display of my 905. This to me indicates that there's something wrong with the 2nd movie and that's why it's incorrectly indicating "DD EX". Who knows, Warner could have released some defective or incorrectly encoded movies? I'm getting a replacement and will check once it comes in.

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #6053 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4220 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

My recollections are a bit fuzzy here (I haven't watched them in a long time), but I believe that the DVD of Austin Powers 1 was 5.1 and that "The Spy Who Shagged Me" was one of the first DVDs with DD-EX . Perhaps that 5.1 and EX encoding was carried over for the BD versions, but I honestly don't know if TrueHD can carry an EX flag or not.

I don't know if you've already done this, but play "Spy Who Shagged Me" and check to see if the small "TrueHD" light on the receiver is illuminated while it's displaying "EX" . If it is, then you are getting TrueHD.

The player indicates that it's "DD TrueHD" but I'm bitstreaming to my 905 so the Onkyo should indicate "DD TrueHD" if that's what it's receiving. It's working correcting on the 1st and 3rd movies, just not on the 2nd one.

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #6054 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Again, very interesting on the Dave Matthews reviews. I was not particularly impressed, but there you go. OK - back to the thread.

One thing I have noticed about my BD-35 is that it produces a different looking picture than my HD-A2. They talk about audio products having a distinctive "house" sound, and I wonder if the same applies to Blu-ray players. I have a 2006 Hitachi Director's Series Plasma (55HDX99). When I shopped for my set, I also compared to Panasonic and Samsung. Each produced a different looking picture, but there was a certain "something" about the Panasonic's picture that I now see in the images produced by the BD35. To me, it looks slightly less like film and more like video. There is a "glossy" quality to it, and the colours don't look quite as natural to me as other HD material I've seen on my TV. I think I read something on this forum about a slight red push on the BD35, but to me, it looks like the blues are just a touch too cool. I've had my TV ISF-calibrated on an SD DVD player, so it's not a question of it being calibrated for the HD-A2.

Do Panasonic's Blu-ray players "add" anything in the way of colour or additional processing? I remember the knock against earlier Panasonic plasmas being that they achieved excellent PQ, but did not have accurate colour. I believe this is no longer true, but it is strange to me to look at my Hitachi and say "that's a Panasonic picture". Over at a friend's house yesterday, he had a Pioneer Elite Blu-ray feeding his 58" Panasonic plasma - breathtaking PQ (kids' animation movie), but again, definitely a "Panasonic picture".
post #6055 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Thanks. I need about a 15 foot long LAN cable, too. Any caveats there?

Check out Monoprice. I recently purchased a 6CAT 25ft ethernet cable very cheap from them. The shipping was very fast and the build quaility of the cable seems to be very good. They are a reputatble internet company I've purchased many cables from them. Good luck. Peace.
post #6056 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Larry.... you are correct... remapping is used to take 7.1 soundtracks and remap them for 5.1 playback or one of the other 7.1 speaker configurations or the other way around... it doesn't work the other way around.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the response.

As Chris points out, the DTS documentation that I have been reading on their website may not be current. Nevertheless, I haven't found anything that says DTS Speaker Re-mapping remaps 7.1 sources configurations to 5.1 layouts, (or re-maps from 5.1 sources to 7.1 layouts). Of the 7 configurations shown on the DTS website I have seen two that look like 5.1 configurations, but they have two extra height channels for a total of 7.1. So everything I've read is confined to 7.1 to 7.1 channels with different physical layouts between the mixing and the playback environment.

Obviously, 7.1 AVR/prepros provide the option of selecting the number of speakers, and if a source signal is downmixed to a 5.1 configuration I didn't think that function had anything to do with DTS Speaker Re-mapping.

Have your contacts with DTS indicated that DTS intends to extend the functionality of Speaker Re-mapping to 5.1 configurations, or have you seen any additional documentation on this subject?

Unfortunately, the remarks made by a senior Panasonic engineer seems to be contradictory regarding the issue of downmixing in the context of DTS Speaker Re-mapping.

Posting #5810

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Let me provide another sentence or two from Panasonic since you are embellishing my words like there's no tomorrow:

"When the intended loudspeaker layout does not match the actual loudspeaker layout of the listening space, DTS-HD decoder redirect or divide mismatched channel signal to fit actual loudspeaker layout. This function is called Speaker Remapping. Please assume it as a kind of extended downmixing function.

The remapping coefficients are fixed by DTS. In the case of remapping from standard 5.1 channel layout to standard 7.1 channel layout, Ls/Rs signals are remapped to Lss/Rss and Lsr/Rsr..."

And the rest you've already seen. This is not Panasonic Speaker Remapping. This is DTS Speaker Remapping. At least according to a guy who should know a lot more about it than we do.

The problem with this statement is that in the first sentence the engineer represents the "Speaker Remapping" as an extended downmixing function. However, the word downmix usually means reducing the number of channels on playback, but then in the next sentence he describes the Panasonic player "amplification" function which derives 7.1 channels from a 5.1 source, just the opposite of downmixing.

Larry
post #6057 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had any prblems with SD movies freezing for about one second and then immediately resuming play on the bd35? I've had this happen 2 or 3 times already. It usually happens about 30 to 60 min. into the movie and always during a non action scene, most of the time it happens it is kinda hard to even notice because it only freezes for a second and then immediately continues without having to press any remote buttons. Just curious because it is not "that" brothersome.
post #6058 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

Whether you HDTV is 1080p or 720p does not matter. What does matter is if you HDTV can accept a 1080p signal and that you're not sitting too far away

No, what matters is that the 35 and 55 can output 1080i/720p which will work with a 720p display. If the 720 display is natively a 756 display, 1080i may look a bit better.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #6059 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

Has anyone had any prblems with SD movies freezing for about one second and then immediately resuming play on the bd35? I've had this happen 2 or 3 times already. It usually happens about 30 to 60 min. into the movie and always during a non action scene, most of the time it happens it is kinda hard to even notice because it only freezes for a second and then immediately continues without having to press any remote buttons. Just curious because it is not "that" brothersome.

Assuming you have the latest firmware I would try switching seamless play(pg 31).
If that doesn't help then check the discs for scratches.
post #6060 of 15037 Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

It's probably the layer change in the DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page