The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #2461 of 2483 Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thumbs up New DTS Mode Not in the Manual for Yamaha 3060 AVR, may also apply for 3050 series.

I have a 6 yr old Sony bdps5000es bluray player hooked to my 3060 via hdmi. No matter how I configured the Sony, the avr would display PCM when I was playing DTS HD. Finally found a solution via Google that said theie was a NEW. DTS Mode Option in the Advanced menu on the front control panel of the Yamaha 3060 AVR. This new Option is the next option after the 4K Mode Option. The Default DTS Mode = 1 and you should change it to DTS Mode = 2. For older bluray players that are not
having DTS HD or DTS X decoded properly by the 3060. This problem was caused by the DTS x firmware update last year that enabled Atmos.

I changed the DTS Mode to 2 and now the 3060 displays DTS HD properly.

Here is the link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...3&d=1472325292

Last edited by Zuppe; 01-28-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2483 Old 04-29-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Menu Display problem with BDP S5000es

Hello,

I don't often post on here but am hoping for a little guidance. I recently purchased a Sony Str Za3100es receiver to replace a DA5700es. I've hooked up my S5000 to it and while does play and display movies, I'm not able to have the menu display on screen. When I hookup the player directly to the television it does work. Just thinking that there is an HDCP miscommunication? Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks in advance!
post #2463 of 2483 Old 04-29-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkstech View Post
Hello,

I don't often post on here but am hoping for a little guidance. I recently purchased a Sony Str Za3100es receiver to replace a DA5700es. I've hooked up my S5000 to it and while does play and display movies, I'm not able to have the menu display on screen. When I hookup the player directly to the television it does work. Just thinking that there is an HDCP miscommunication? Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks in advance!
As I recall, these types of issues are often related to the sequence of turning on equipment to ensure a proper handshake takes place. You are using strictly hdmi connections, right? Player to receiver to TV. I'm assuming the TV displays other sources from the receiver ok (ie. the handshake problem isn't between the receiver and the TV). Basically, try forcing a new handshake between the player and the receiver. With the receiver, BD player & TV on: try switching the input source on the receiver to a different device, and once the picture is on the TV from that other device, switch the receiver input selector back to your S5000es. Another method I've seen advocated says with your receiver set to the S5000 as input, shut the S5000 off - wait a bit - then turn it back on. I expect either of these actions should force a fresh handshake. If none of that works, double check your hdmi cable connections between the player and the receiver.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 2483 Old 04-30-2017, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
As I recall, these types of issues are often related to the sequence of turning on equipment to ensure a proper handshake takes place. You are using strictly hdmi connections, right? Player to receiver to TV. I'm assuming the TV displays other sources from the receiver ok (ie. the handshake problem isn't between the receiver and the TV). Basically, try forcing a new handshake between the player and the receiver. With the receiver, BD player & TV on: try switching the input source on the receiver to a different device, and once the picture is on the TV from that other device, switch the receiver input selector back to your S5000es. Another method I've seen advocated says with your receiver set to the S5000 as input, shut the S5000 off - wait a bit - then turn it back on. I expect either of these actions should force a fresh handshake. If none of that works, double check your hdmi cable connections between the player and the receiver.

Thanks for your input. In the process of trying the method mentioned by you, I discovered that it was the HDMI Cable to the television that was causing the issue. I replaced it with a plain ordinary HDMI cable and everything started to work as normal. I would imagine that the cable being replaced was still good since all other video inputs displayed properly. For some reason only the S5000es was being effected. Maybe there was an HDCP handshake issue with style cable?

The cable that was replaced was one purchased from Monoprice.com with a redmere chip to adjust for wire thickness and length.

I love the the BDP S5000ES and do not want to give it up for some of the newer flimsy Sony blu ray players. I would only make that change if Sony made a real successor to the 5000es.

Thanks for your help!
post #2465 of 2483 Old 04-30-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'm glad you were able to solve the problem. The Sony BDP-S5000es is truly a world class top quality player.
My primary player is still its little sibling from the same vintage . . the Sony BDP-S1000es. It is also well built and works great. It includes multi-channel audio outputs, but not the world class digital<>analog output circuitry of the S5000es (which doesn't matter to me since I use it strictly for blu-rays in hdmi mode).

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #2466 of 2483 Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
^^^ Even though my 5000es was succeeded by an OPPO 103D for BD playback, it is (and always will) have a place in my rack for DVD/CD playback. It really does represent the end of an era (the transition between a true high-end player and the flimsy pieces of plastic that Sony now makes), and is the absolute best $350 I have ever spent for my HT...
joerod, Rich86 and JA Fant like this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #2467 of 2483 Old 02-06-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
^^^ Even though my 5000es was succeeded by an OPPO 103D for BD playback, it is (and always will) have a place in my rack for DVD/CD playback. It really does represent the end of an era (the transition between a true high-end player and the flimsy pieces of plastic that Sony now makes), and is the absolute best $350 I have ever spent for my HT...
are you still using this spinner in 2018 Vader424242?
post #2468 of 2483 Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Owners-
I am seriously considering buying this spinner. Sony really out did themselves on the players' analog outputs for CD/SACD playback.
Anything I should take into consideration? I am well aware of better brands/players in the marketplace. For a secondary market price, this spinner cannot be beaten (no pun).
post #2469 of 2483 Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
are you still using this spinner in 2018 Vader424242?
Indeed I am, though the BD duties have fallen to my OPPO 103D. I still use it for DVD/CD playback (as you say, the analog outputs are second-to-none), and the build quality is beyond anything you will find today (excepting the high-end stuff). Really, the only reason I upgraded to the OPPO is to get the finest (in my opinion) pre-UHD BD player available, before they discontinued it for the 203D (oh, and for the boot speed...).
JA Fant likes this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #2470 of 2483 Old 02-10-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Indeed I am, though the BD duties have fallen to my OPPO 103D. I still use it for DVD/CD playback (as you say, the analog outputs are second-to-none), and the build quality is beyond anything you will find today (excepting the high-end stuff). Really, the only reason I upgraded to the OPPO is to get the finest (in my opinion) pre-UHD BD player available, before they discontinued it for the 203D (oh, and for the boot speed...).

Thank You- Vader 424242

I am interested in this spinner for its CD and SACD playback
post #2471 of 2483 Old 02-21-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Thank You- Vader 424242

I am interested in this spinner for its CD and SACD playback
Keep in mind that the 5000ES doesn't read SACD. Sony made the companion XA5400ES for that...
JA Fant likes this.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|Sony HT-Z9F|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
post #2472 of 2483 Old 02-22-2018, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Keep in mind that the 5000ES doesn't read SACD. Sony made the companion XA5400ES for that...
Thank You.
post #2473 of 2483 Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I have an S5000ES with moderate use that I'm thinking about selling. Is there still a market for these? I know it's built like a tank!

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #2474 of 2483 Old 04-20-2018, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There is always a market for ES gear!
If you have a FB account you can try here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sony.es/

7.3.4 with an old Sony ES gear. :-)
post #2475 of 2483 Old 08-17-2018, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
7.1 analog output from bluray LFE too low?

Good morning forum!
I purchased an old Sony S5000ES bluray player to utilize its analog output (5.1) to my Mcintosh MX132
My subwoofer (Definitive Technology's Supercube Reference) barely moves at 50% power (Usually set at less than 25%)
I went through speaker set up on the bluray player and the pre-amp and everything is correct.
The subwoofer works if I use optical dolby digital (which lacks Master Audio), but it won't work if I use analogs.
I want to use analogs so that the player decodes all the latest codecs (MX132 is old and optical can only carry up to dolby digital.

Ps. I read that LFE is recorded at -10db? The S5000ES does not offer +db on LFE output, it will only let you do -db starting from 0.
I read somewhere that someone had to -10db every channel and leave the LFE at 0, but that is crazy!

Is this a Sony BS?? I dont remeber having this problem with my oppo 103

Thanks!
post #2476 of 2483 Old 08-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo2k View Post
Good morning forum!
I purchased an old Sony S5000ES bluray player to utilize its analog output (5.1) to my Mcintosh MX132
My subwoofer (Definitive Technology's Supercube Reference) barely moves at 50% power (Usually set at less than 25%)
I went through speaker set up on the bluray player and the pre-amp and everything is correct.
The subwoofer works if I use optical dolby digital (which lacks Master Audio), but it won't work if I use analogs.
I want to use analogs so that the player decodes all the latest codecs (MX132 is old and optical can only carry up to dolby digital.

Ps. I read that LFE is recorded at -10db? The S5000ES does not offer +db on LFE output, it will only let you do -db starting from 0.
I read somewhere that someone had to -10db every channel and leave the LFE at 0, but that is crazy!

Is this a Sony BS?? I dont remeber having this problem with my oppo 103

Thanks!
LFE is recorded with -10dB attenuation to provide headroom to record LOUD bass.

When you send that out on Analog, the -10dB needs to be preserved so that you don't clip the input of the device at the other end of the cable.

Then "Sub Boost" gets applied to raise the LFE back to the level which matches the other Analog outs for the main speakers.

--------------

So:

1) Don't try to raise the output level of LFE coming out of the player. You'll risk clipping

2) You COULD achieve the necessary Sub Boost by lowering the output trims for the main speakers and leaving LFE where it is, but that raises the noise floor on the main speakers. So the CORRECT solution is to provide the needed Sub Boost EXTERNAL to the player.

3) If you are passing the Analog Sub output of the player through an AVR (along with the other, main speaker Analog outs), typically the AVR will provide +10dB of Sub Boost by default.

4) Otherwise, you can readily achieve the needed amount of Sub Boost by adjusting the Volume knob on the Sub itself. It is best to use a calibration track and SPL meter to check this.

5) If you have the player set to do "Crossover" processing on its multi-channel Analog output, typically an additional -5dB of attenuation will be applied to the combined Bass signal going out on the LFE output (LFE plus bass steered from the main speaker channels) to maintain the necessary headroom and avoid clipping. In this case, the needed Sub Boost is actually larger -- +15dB.

See my Blog posts here for details:

Balancing Speaker Volume Trims with an SPL Meter

and

Calibration Discs

--Bob
Pablo2k likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #2477 of 2483 Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
LFE is recorded with -10dB ...

--Bob
Thank you for the replay.
I used an SPL meter to set the level on my Mcintosh MX132 pre amp, all speakers and the subwoofer where set to equal db levels.
When I use the optical input of the MX132, all the speakers, including the sub, will sound like they should.
When I use the analog inputs on the MX132, I set the speaker levels from the S5000ES, all speakers play the test sound, but when the turn comes for the sub channel, I hear nothing, but if I place my hand on the sub, I can tell that is doing something.
So I was wondering if either, the sub out on the player or the sub in on the pre amp are faulty.
I can't raise the volume on the sub it self, because when I use optical in, it will be insanely loud.
If I lower all other channels on the player to match the sub, then the floor noise will increase just like you said.
I never had this problem before with other players with analog outputs.
I did purchase the pre amp and player used, maybe they are faulty.
I was hoping there was a magic setting somewhere.
Thank you!
post #2478 of 2483 Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo2k View Post
Thank you for the replay.
I used an SPL meter to set the level on my Mcintosh MX132 pre amp, all speakers and the subwoofer where set to equal db levels.
When I use the optical input of the MX132, all the speakers, including the sub, will sound like they should.
When I use the analog inputs on the MX132, I set the speaker levels from the S5000ES, all speakers play the test sound, but when the turn comes for the sub channel, I hear nothing, but if I place my hand on the sub, I can tell that is doing something.
So I was wondering if either, the sub out on the player or the sub in on the pre amp are faulty.
I can't raise the volume on the sub it self, because when I use optical in, it will be insanely loud.
If I lower all other channels on the player to match the sub, then the floor noise will increase just like you said.
I never had this problem before with other players with analog outputs.
I did purchase the pre amp and player used, maybe they are faulty.
I was hoping there was a magic setting somewhere.
Thank you!
You can tell whether things are working correctly by raising the Volume knob on the sub to add +10dB.

Normally I would expect your preamp to add +10dB by default when passing through the Analog Sub signal. Some AVRs have a selectable level of Analog Input Sub Boost (typically offering 0, +5, +10, and +15db boost choices). Check if there's a setting like that in your AVR, and confirm it is set correctly.

If not, and if you have to use the volume knob on the Sub to provide the necessary Sub Boost, then the way you do it is this:

1) START with the multi-channel Analog configuration, and adjust the Volume on the Sub to get matched output (i.e., provide the necessary Sub Boost).

2) THEN go into the AVR and re-adjust things so your Digital audio sources work correctly. How? By telling the AVR to REDUCE the Sub output when playing those Digital audio sources to compensate for the Sub Boost you built into the Volume knob on the Sub to get Analog to work correctly.
--Bob
Pablo2k likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #2479 of 2483 Old 11-19-2018, 08:45 PM

Hello group !
Quick question, is there any difference using the stereo rca output and multichannel output when playing CDs?
Any offer a better DAC for CD?
Thanks!!
post #2480 of 2483 Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The manual states, for digital coax output (I'm running a 2 channel system - using an external dac) DTS HD/MA input, output PCM 2 channel. What exactly is being transmitted to my dac? It's obviously not native pcm because the movie provides a DTS master audio soundtrack. The manual also states that copy protected discs are downsampled to 16 bit for the spdif output. thank you
post #2481 of 2483 Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 124
My beloved BDP-S5000ES, which frankly does not have all that much mileage on it, is starting to glitch on me. Not every BD movie, but sometimes about halfway thru the movie it starts to freeze and pixelate and I've had to change players to finish the disc. My initial thought was "halfway through must mean trouble at the layer change" but indeed the last two with problems were home-made discs (recorded from TV) that were burned to BD-25 single layer discs.

Can anyone here speculate what might be the cause? I'll try to clean the laser lens but honestly it doesn't feel like a dust problem. Any thoughts welcome--where I live of course I would have to pack it up and ship it somewhere if I were to go the repair route, and then of course You Just Know that when the Repair Shop tries it out, well it ain't gonna glitch for them!

post #2482 of 2483 Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Is this Sony player as good or better than an oppo 103 in video and audio? 2 channel audio via analog as well.
post #2483 of 2483 Old 08-31-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Poland, I`m new on the forum
this year my dvd player DVP-NS9100ES ended his life (mother board) so I decided to buy used BDP-S5000ES
when I bought - has a problem with reading/starting every disc - BR, DVD, CD... I cleaned lenses and was better but starting BR disc was very slow
I bought low model, BDP-S350 and changed the mechanism - much better now, used 350 cost only 20$

I would like to buy a completely new, never used mechanism -
did anyone buy and exchange in 5000ES?

service manual 5000ES told me part number A-1546-230-B (BPD-200ES) > screen 1

service manual 350 told me part number A-1540-573-A > screen 2

first - impossible to buy :
but I see : "use substitute part Sony A-150-573-A" - I can buy this new in EU ~120U$D

what means "Description Drive (Service Use ) Bd"?
If I`ll buy A-1540-573-A - will operate in 5000ES?

I know, it's crazy ... because I have other equipment in a bright color - I converted 5000ES and put in the housing from NS9100ES, maybe the first in the world?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	2609578   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 2.jpg
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	2609580   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.jpg
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	2609592  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player , Denon , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page