The Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Owner's Thread... - Page 293 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #8761 of 8767 Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Has anyone here compared the BDP-09 to the newer Pioneer Elite BR spinners ?
I had a brief comparison between the 09 and the 88 last year.

My take was that the 09 with its Wolfson DAC had a richer sound, whereas the 88 had a more detailed sound; it uses an ESS DAC. The lower frequencies of the 88 were a bit light in comparison, though still satisfying. Some reviews talked about the Oppo 105 (wich uses an ESS DAC, perhaps the same one) being a bit light on tonal balance; that sounds about right to describe what I heard in the comparison. The 88 can go up to 24/192 sampling, which seemed to open up the sound as well.

As for video, I can't say I saw significant differences in the pictures of the respective players, not enough to have stuck with me as the audio difference did. Both give great pictures, with the 88 perhaps a bit crisper, but I'd have to do the comparison again to be sure. The 88 is much faster at loading discs, and the speed difference isn't small in my opinion.
G-Rex and JA Fant like this.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 8767 Old 10-09-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I had a brief comparison between the 09 and the 88 last year.

My take was that the 09 with its Wolfson DAC had a richer sound, whereas the 88 had a more detailed sound; it uses an ESS DAC. The lower frequencies of the 88 were a bit light in comparison, though still satisfying. Some reviews talked about the Oppo 105 (wich uses an ESS DAC, perhaps the same one) being a bit light on tonal balance; that sounds about right to describe what I heard in the comparison. The 88 can go up to 24/192 sampling, which seemed to open up the sound as well.

As for video, I can't say I saw significant differences in the pictures of the respective players, not enough to have stuck with me as the audio difference did. Both give great pictures, with the 88 perhaps a bit crisper, but I'd have to do the comparison again to be sure. The 88 is much faster at loading discs, and the speed difference isn't small in my opinion.
Much Thanks! prepress

I still want a BDP-09, even though Pioneer does not support this model any longer?
post #8763 of 8767 Old 10-09-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The BDP-09FD probably sounds better, but it is no longer state of art. The Burr-Brown and Wolfson DACs were good back then, but the newer ESS-9018 Sabre, AKM 4497 and the Analog Devices AD1955 have surpassed them.

You also have to consider that the Pioneer is uber-slow, taking a couple of minutes to load and play any disc, BD or CD and does not support streaming. The newer Oppos are pretty good as a all in one player, but Oppo has discontinued streaming as well. The Pioneer is several years old, which makes it an antique in electronics.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8764 of 8767 Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys

I know that it's a very old topic, but, do you know if I can still find the Pioneer GGV 1343(or 1334) disc somewhere?
I don't want to scrap my old BDP-LX91 Blu Ray. I have to change the disc unit and it seems that without this disc I have no chance to make'it working.
post #8765 of 8767 Old 03-08-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by babanovac1 View Post
Hi guys

I know that it's a very old topic, but, do you know if I can still find the Pioneer GGV 1343(or 1334) disc somewhere?
I don't want to scrap my old BDP-LX91 Blu Ray. I have to change the disc unit and it seems that without this disc I have no chance to make'it working.
I understand that the Pioneer BDR-L04XA is a compatible replacement with some caveats. That is, the control board is different. You must remove the control board from the old drive (BDR-L04SH) and swap it with the BDR-L04XA drive.

Some people have had luck sourcing the original BDR-L04SH drive from China via Alibaba.

I do see BDP-09FD/BDR-L04XA drives available on ebay currently. Just do an ebay search for BDP-09FD BDP-LX91 drive. Eight different sellers came up for me just now.

I really don't think that you will ever see the parts sold again direct from Pioneer because of the age of the machine and the simple fact that Pioneer has been sold no less than two times since they made the BDP-LX91/BDP-09FD 11 years ago.

I don't know if you know, but it's not an easy plug-and-play type swap.

In addition to swapping the control board, you have to program the new drive and the player by writing matching ID codes in both the drive and player's firmware. This requires a special Pioneer service remote, Pioneer part number GGF1067. Those remotes are no longer made so you'll need to find a used one or an equivalent.

There is also a CD with a program that maybe necessary to facilitate the programming of the new ID depending on the source of the drive. It's Pioneer part number GGV1334, ID Disc Type 2 Ver 1.1. Of course, Pioneer no longer sells this disk.

And you're going to need a service manual for the instructions.

So, it's not impossible but it does require some serious effort.
post #8766 of 8767 Old 03-09-2020, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi curry
Thanks for your answer.
I have a new BDR-L04XA drive but the control board is totally different, complete different connections, I don't believe that I can change'it.
Pioneer service remote also available.
Biggest problem is with the GGV1334 disc, I was not able to find'it anyware...
Do you have any recommandation?
post #8767 of 8767 Old 03-19-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by babanovac1 View Post
Hi curry
Thanks for your answer.
I have a new BDR-L04XA drive but the control board is totally different, complete different connections, I don't believe that I can change'it.
Pioneer service remote also available.
Biggest problem is with the GGV1334 disc, I was not able to find'it anyware...
Do you have any recommandation?
If I remember correctly, if the new drive and the old drive regions match, you can get around the need for the GGV1334 disc. The Disc ran a program the would change region codes and the codes have to match.

Are you sure the boards can't be changed? That's the only way that a transplant has been successful AFAIK at this point in time. I've done it and it's not that difficult.

Some information here with pictures.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussi...ayer-repair/p2

The other option is to maybe swap out the laser diode assembly assuming that's the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page