Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 444Likes

post #35941 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
^^^ you should do a factory reset after each FW upgrade.

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35942 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space View Post

I just upgraded my player's firmware. Check this out - none of my user settings were changed by the update. Is that normal? Note that the pervious firmware I had in the player was at least 18 mos old. I verified the settings because I still my copy of Bill McClain's "Oppo BDP-83 Settings Checklist, Version 4."

Haha...yeah that's the kicker. You don't lose your settings but it's still recommended that you reset to factory default anyway.

by the way, why are we supposed to do this?
post #35943 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5830 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
^Because it is less messy than drawing a chalk pentagram around the player to ward off unexpected problems.

Too many times in the past we've had folks report problems after an install that were cured by a Reset and power cycle. So now it is habit.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35944 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked: 4487
Quote:

I just upgraded my player's firmware. Check this out - none of my user settings were changed by the update. Is that normal? Note that the pervious firmware I had in the player was at least 18 mos old. I verified the settings because I still my copy of Bill McClain's "Oppo BDP-83 Settings Checklist, Version 4."

When going from firmware that old, I strongly suggest you reset factory defaults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post

Haha...yeah that's the kicker. You don't lose your settings but it's still recommended that you reset to factory default anyway.

by the way, why are we supposed to do this?

It's good luck.

There may be internal variables that benefit from a fresh start.

I recall a specific issue when shiftable subtitles were added. They are badly positioned until a reset. People have reported general crankiness resolved by doing a reset.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #35945 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK. I reset to factory defaults. While going through the menus again to program the thing, I noticed there are some changes in the settings from my checklist Version 4, to checklist version 9. For example, what the heck is "HDCD," and do I want HDCD coding ON or OFF?
post #35946 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

OK. I reset to factory defaults. While going through the menus again to program the thing, I noticed there are some changes in the settings from my checklist Version 4, to checklist version 9. For example, what the heck is "HDCD," and do I want HDCD coding ON or OFF?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCD

On or off I will leave to the audiophiles. It depends on your receiver.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #35947 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

If your HDMI receiver decodes HDCD then you must turn off that decoding in the Oppo. Otherwise, turn it on in the Oppo.

The ability to decode is not something the Oppo can detect during the HDMI handshake, so that's why you have to set this correctly yourself.

If you decode in the Oppo and your receiver is also set to decode, then the receiver will get confused as the result of the decoding leaves enough clues in the HDMI audio output that your receiver will periodically think it has to switch into decoding mode itself.

This is just the way HDCD works with digital audio output.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #35948 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If your HDMI receiver decodes HDCD then you must turn off that decoding in the Oppo. Otherwise, turn it on in the Oppo.

The ability to decode is not something the Oppo can detect during the HDMI handshake, so that's why you have to set this correctly yourself.

If you decode in the Oppo and your receiver is also set to decode, then the receiver will get confused as the result of the decoding leaves enough clues in the HDMI audio output that your receiver will periodically think it has to switch into decoding mode itself.

This is just the way HDCD works with digital audio output.
--Bob

Actually, according to Oppo, if you have you player connected digitally with the output set to bitstream, decoding of the track is left up to the receiver.

Mark
post #35949 of 41511 Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmx View Post

Actually, according to Oppo, if you have you player connected digitally with the output set to bitstream, decoding of the track is left up to the receiver.

That's correct. In the 83 and the 83se, if you have HDMI Audio Bitstream or HDMI Audio Auto set the HDCD Decoding setting is treated as OFF even though, of course LPCM is what's actually being output.

I consider that a bug, and indeed it is "fixed" in the new 93 and 95 players.

In the 83 and the 83se, to get the player to do the decoding you must set both HDCD Decoding ON and HDMI Audio LPCM. You should only do this if the HDMI Receiver does not, itself, do HDCD Decoding.
--Bob

post #35950 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

That's correct. In the 83 and the 83se, if you have HDMI Audio Bitstream or HDMI Audio Auto set the HDCD Decoding setting is treated as OFF even though, of course LPCM is what's actually being output.

I consider that a bug, and indeed it is "fixed" in the new 93 and 95 players.

In the 83 and the 83se, to get the player to do the decoding you must set both HDCD Decoding ON and HDMI Audio LPCM. You should only do this if the HDMI Receiver does not, itself, do HDCD Decoding.
--Bob

Got it guys, thanks. My pre/pro is a 2009 model Onkyo and it does not do HDCD. I guess Onkyo is not into HDCD as the latest 2010 model does not, either. I have the Oppo set to LPCM and it does all the decoding of the audio codecs. I also set HDCD = ON.
post #35951 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I did the firmware update but have not done the factory reset yet. I'm no audiophile but have noticed that the center channel has changed and now is distorted with a 'tinny' pitch to it. After going through to see if anyone else has reported this (they don't appear to have), I'm gonna do the recommended factory reset and see what I get - but the factory reset choice is grayed out, what do I do to reset it?
post #35952 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

I'm gonna do the recommended factory reset and see what I get - but the factory reset choice is grayed out, what do I do to reset it?

Make sure no disc is playing. Or: just eject the tray.

-Bill

post #35953 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
DId a reset, put everything back they way it was, cleared persistent storage (nothing there anyway). Sound is still distorted.

Should I roll back? Will it allow me to do that?
post #35954 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm having a hard time getting more than 2 channels via HDMI when playing new Bluray audio formats. I have the output of the player connected to a video processor, which outputs to a Denon AVR (HDMI 1.1, will support 7.1 channel LPCM) and also to an overhead projector.

I assume what's happening is the video processor is reporting two channels due to the overhead projector for some reason. Does this sound reasonable? How can I test this? That is, if I remove the video processor from the path, put the Denon into the video and audio path, and get 5+ LPCM channels, does this mean my theory is correct? Thank you.

Bob
post #35955 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:

DId a reset, put everything back they way it was, cleared persistent storage (nothing there anyway). Sound is still distorted.

Should I roll back? Will it allow me to do that?

I doubt your audio distortion has anything to do with firmware, but it would help if you state how you are connected and to what.
post #35956 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I'm having a hard time getting more than 2 channels via HDMI when playing new Bluray audio formats. I have the output of the player connected to a video processor, which outputs to a Denon AVR (HDMI 1.1, will support 7.1 channel LPCM) and also to an overhead projector.

I assume what's happening is the video processor is reporting two channels due to the overhead projector for some reason. Does this sound reasonable? How can I test this? That is, if I remove the video processor from the path, put the Denon into the video and audio path, and get 5+ LPCM channels, does this mean my theory is correct? Thank you.

The simplest way to test this is to disconnect the cable going to the projector from the video processor. If the audio now works then that's your problem.

Try setting the video processor to not try to send audio to the projector. Also check that the processor isn't set to "pass through" the HDMI since that will mean the play sees the audio capabilities of the projector when it sets up the connection. Another possibility is to put the processor outboard of the Denon. That is, player to Denon to processor to projector.
--Bob

post #35957 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I did the firmware update but have not done the factory reset yet. I'm no audiophile but have noticed that the center channel has changed and now is distorted with a 'tinny' pitch to it. After going through to see if anyone else has reported this (they don't appear to have), I'm gonna do the recommended factory reset and see what I get - but the factory reset choice is grayed out, what do I do to reset it?

Temporarily swap the speaker output wires from the amp to the Center and LF speakers. if the problem stays in Center then your Center speaker needs service. If the problem moves to LF, then put those speaker wires back normally. Now, if you are using a separate amp, swap the INPUT wires into the amp between LF and Center. If the problem stays in Center then your amp needs service for its Center channel. If the problem moves to LF, put those input wires back normally, and, if possible, try a different multi-channel source device through your receiver or pre-amp. This way you can isolate the problem and see if it really is the Oppo causing the problem.
--Bob

post #35958 of 41511 Old 03-20-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Release date: March 17, 2011
Category: Latest Official Release
Main Version: BDP83-55-0226
Loader Version: BE2800 or BT0500
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326

1.Certain SACD discs with many short tracks or with a long track following several short tracks can cause the player to freeze during playback. This version fixes the issue. The crackles and pops that happened occasionally between tracks on some discs are also eliminated.
2. Fix for the issue of incorrect video size when playing some Blu-ray discs, such as "Patton", "Time Bandits" and "Date Night".
3. A small number of Blu-ray discs with Dolby TrueHD audio exhibit a momentary audio drop-out issue if the player is connected to an A/V receiver via HDMI and bitstream is selected as the HDMI Audio format. This version fixes the issue.
4. Support for LPCM audio streaming over home network is restored. The previous firmware did not carry this feature over from older versions. Please note that home network streaming is an experimental feature. You will need a computer running UPnP or DLNA streaming server software that can support transcoding to LPCM in order to use this feature.
5. The previous firmware version displays the time counter slightly too fast when playing SACD. This version fixes the issue.
6. Quieter laser head movement for CD playback.
7. Other general disc and media file compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

The main difference if have already upgraded from the previous Beta Firmware is that CD-Audio playback will now be quieter. Previously you could hear a rhythmic clicking sound as the laser head moved forwards and backwards when reading CD-Audio titles. This ticking sound has been removed in this firmware.

All previous Beta Firmware errors are still present, which includes the incorrect aspect ratios of user created media.

I did the "Erase Persistent Memory" and "Reset to Factory Default".

Given that this is advised, any reason why the Oppo FW update doesn't save prior settings in another area, then erase memory, reset, and open a wizard with auto-populating the old settings?

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #35959 of 41511 Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Just wish they'd make it so that the player could stay on Underscan permanently without having to do that everytime I play a movie
post #35960 of 41511 Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

Just wish they'd make it so that the player could stay on Underscan permanently without having to do that everytime I play a movie

Aren't modern movies all shot with the assumption they will need to be viewed on overscan displays, so directors avoid putting meaningful content at the edges? Or do you just watch old movies?
post #35961 of 41511 Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox View Post

Aren't modern movies all shot with the assumption they will need to be viewed on overscan displays, so directors avoid putting meaningful content at the edges? Or do you just watch old movies?

Movies are shot so that all CRITICAL content is inside the "safe" area, but that's not the same as saying all meaningful content is cropped. The composition includes the entire frame, and there's no good reason to tolerate a display that won't let you see all the pixels.
--Bob

post #35962 of 41511 Old 03-21-2011, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Sucessfully updated firmware via ethernet today. Quick and easy as usual. Remembered to write down my settings before starting too! Total time to update was less than 4 minutes. Cleared persistent storage, reset to factory defaults, power cycled ans put my settings back in. Verified Blu, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, and cd playback. Everything A-Ok. Super happy Oppo!

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-203 Blu Ray, Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo RZ-900 Receiver (7.1 Config)
Klipsch R28F, RC64ii, RS400, RB600, R-12SW Sub
Mac Mini/PS3/Wii, Harmony Smart Control
post #35963 of 41511 Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1967 View Post
Sucessfully updated firmware via ethernet today. Quick and easy as usual. Remembered to write down my settings before starting too! Total time to update was less than 4 minutes. Cleared persistent storage, reset to factory defaults, power cycled ans put my settings back in. Verified Blu, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, and cd playback. Everything A-Ok. Super happy Oppo!
I found this to be extremely helpful:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-8..._Checklist.pdf
post #35964 of 41511 Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post

I found this to be extremely helpful:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-8..._Checklist.pdf

Me too! That's exactly what I used.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-203 Blu Ray, Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo RZ-900 Receiver (7.1 Config)
Klipsch R28F, RC64ii, RS400, RB600, R-12SW Sub
Mac Mini/PS3/Wii, Harmony Smart Control
post #35965 of 41511 Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1967 View Post

Funny thing happened when I attempted to update beta firmware via enet, it updated the drive only, and then shut down So, I tried again and it reported could not work via network So I reset to factory defaults, downloaded the beta firmware to a USB stick, plugged 'er in, started the 83, and everything updated as appropriate

Are you talking' to me?
post #35966 of 41511 Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This latest firmware disabled changing the BD region coding via my mod kit.

DVD region free was still there, but I had the player set to region B before the update and after updating it would only give me the region error message when I tried a region B BD, even after trying to re-program the player to region B several times. I rolled back to the last official firmware from April 2010 (big thanks for the links in post #1), as I wanted to make sure all 3 parts of the firmware would roll back. After rolling back to that firmware, my mod kit & region B works fine once again. So this latest FW sure disabled my multi region mod kit.
post #35967 of 41511 Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Did you try doing a Reset Factory Defaults after installing the firmware?

Did you try changing the Remote Code from Code 1 to Code 2 or Code 3 and see if the results are the same?
post #35968 of 41511 Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Did you try doing a Reset Factory Defaults after installing the firmware?

Yes, both after updating to the 3/17/11 FW and after rolling back to the 5/10 FW. Also cleared persistent memory both times just to be sure.

Quote:

Did you try changing the Remote Code from Code 1 to Code 2 or Code 3 and see if the results are the same?

No, I've never fiddled with the remote code, so it's on factory default. It was responding to the remote. For my mod kit you press Pure Audio twice, and then once more for region A, twice for region B, and then Power Off (not the red one button). The LED display was blinking every time I pressed Pure Audio, just as it always does.
post #35969 of 41511 Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 475
I would still try changing the Remote Code and see if Code 2 or Code 3 does not produce your desired results.
post #35970 of 41511 Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Funny thing happened when I attempted to update beta firmware via enet, it updated the drive only, and then shut down So, I tried again and it reported could not work via network So I reset to factory defaults, downloaded the beta firmware to a USB stick, plugged 'er in, started the 83, and everything updated as appropriate

If you already had the 0226 Beta installed. Then the only NEW thing was the new Loader firmware. Network update only gives you the pieces you need.

USB update installs whatever's on the stick, even if you already have it.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page