Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1326 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 433Likes

post #39751 of 41487 Old 11-06-2014, 04:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks guys, three times over...

So it's possible that the disc in question may not be region locked depending on how it was authored, and that it may just play on my BDP-83 in a North American environment without a mod?
It's possible, but I've imported a bunch of PAL discs and restricted region coding is the most common case.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39752 of 41487 Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3465
Just wanted to post about my Oppo customer service experience. In short, it was unbelievably great. After getting a 103D a couple of weeks ago I decided to finally send the 83 in for the "sticky drawer" problem. Sent the email requesting service, got the return email instructions, sent the unit in Monday via FedEx for $16 and it's now sitting back in my rack 3 days later with a "loader frame" no charge repair. Not bad, not bad at all!

Of course it helps that I live only a few hours drive from Oppo!

P.S. I'm not even the original owner of the unit either. Just spectacular customer service!
post #39753 of 41487 Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
This my point there is no perfect Blu-ray player, Denon Sony OPPO Panasonic have Pro and cons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
True story and the 83 is still one of the best upconverting players out there, arguably besting Oppo's newer generation models.
That sounds just about right to me; one Video player for each season:
♦ For best DVD playback. ...BDP-83
♦ For best Blu-ray (2D) playback.
♦ For best Blu-ray (3D) playback.
♦ For best world (Region A, B & C) DVD & Blu-ray playback.

And for Sound:
♦ A whole bunch more players; SACD, DVD-Audio, HDCD, Hi-Res music downloads, LPs, R-2-R tapes ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39754 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
That sounds just about right to me; one Video player for each season:
♦ For best DVD playback. ...BDP-83
♦ For best Blu-ray (2D) playback.
♦ For best Blu-ray (3D) playback.
♦ For best world (Region A, B & C) DVD & Blu-ray playback.

And for Sound:
♦ A whole bunch more players; SACD, DVD-Audio, HDCD, Hi-Res music downloads, LPs, R-2-R tapes ...
The 83 does not do 3D
post #39755 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
The 83 does not do 3D
I thought I explained this to him in a previous post...
post #39756 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It's possible, but I've imported a bunch of PAL discs and restricted region coding is the most common case.

-Bill

Gotcha; thanks Bill...

Which titles have you gotten from overseas, just out of curiosity?
post #39757 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 03:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Gotcha; thanks Bill...

Which titles have you gotten from overseas, just out of curiosity?
Drifting off topic here, but my catalog currently references these:

Spoiler!

I haven't kept track of PAL discs I have in storage that were replaced by Blu-ray versions.

Many of the above were purchased as anamorphic upgrades for poor NTSC versions, or bought before the NTSC versions became available.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #39758 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The 83 does not do 3D
I know that. ...That's why you need another BD player. ...One for each season. ...Did you read my post?
post #39759 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Spoiler!

I haven't kept track of PAL discs I have in storage that were replaced by Blu-ray versions.

Many of the above were purchased as anamorphic upgrades for poor NTSC versions, or bought before the NTSC versions became available.

-Bill
Bill, you still play some of your VHS tapes, on occasion?
post #39760 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 08:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Bill, you still play some of your VHS tapes, on occasion?
This is as far off-topic as I go.

-Bill

post #39761 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 PM

Sorry mate; I am not a machine, I'm just human.
post #39762 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 2249
Quote:
I know that. ...That's why you need another BD player. ...One for each season. ...Did you read my post?
Perhaps your post was a bit too cryptic... I got what you were saying, but can see how someone else would have gotten a different impression.
post #39763 of 41487 Old 11-07-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Perhaps your post was a bit too cryptic... I got what you were saying, but can see how someone else would have gotten a different impression.
I'll be more explicit (clear) next time; thx.
post #39764 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hi all, I'm hoping you all can give me some debugging help for my BDP83. I've had flawless performance for years and currently, I have no problems with DVDs but I've had a number of issues that have started creeping up with Blu-rays. Here are my symptoms:
  1. Tranformers 4, Walter Mitty, and a handful of other Blu-ray discs have significant problems playing on the BDP-83.
  2. I will get a very, very loud turbine-sounding noise like it's an airplane about to take off as the disc spins up.
  3. I will get "No Disc" even though there is a disc there
  4. I will get the disc to load and when it plays the main movie, it will stutter with audio and video pausing several times throughout the movie or every several seconds.

I have the latest firmware. I have a Panasonic ZT60 plasma as the display and an Anthem in the middle of the chain. As a 've tried turning off the Anthem and the Panasonic to see if there's anything funky with the HDMI signal chain. On the Oppo's counter, I see the time sticking even with the other devices off. Iv'e also changedHDMI cables, etc. etc. etc.

I've tried decoding the audio in the player as well as in the pre-pro. What happens with the pausing is on the Anthem's front panel, it will go thought the decoding sequence so I'll see the center channel volume adjust +4, it will tell me source resolution and display the audio. Then it will drop, reset, and go all over again. The pausing, when it happens is never in the same place. I've also made sure to clean the discs.

I also tried searching to see if the problem discs like Transformers4, Walter Mitty, etc. had any issues with the BDP-83, but I can't find anything about any such issues that would lead me to think it's disc-specific to these two and a handful of other titles that have become problematic.

Bottom line, I can only assume I have something funky going on with the Oppo but not quite sure what else I need to do. I don't know if this is an issue with the laser reading the discs or some anomaly with the firmware. I have not tried re-applying the current firmware or downgrading to an earlier version. I'll be reaching out to Oppo support come the work week, but I'd appreciate some debugging assistance here.

All of this is recent and I've had flawless operation. Thanks for any insights and debugging ideas you all can give me!

post #39765 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Hi all, I'm hoping you all can give me some debugging help for my BDP83. I've had flawless performance for years and currently, I have no problems with DVDs but I've had a number of issues that have started creeping up with Blu-rays. Here are my symptoms:
  1. Tranformers 4, Walter Mitty, and a handful of other Blu-ray discs have significant problems playing on the BDP-83.
  2. I will get a very, very loud turbine-sounding noise like it's an airplane about to take off as the disc spins up.
  3. I will get "No Disc" even though there is a disc there
  4. I will get the disc to load and when it plays the main movie, it will stutter with audio and video pausing several times throughout the movie or every several seconds.

I have the latest firmware. I have a Panasonic ZT60 plasma as the display and an Anthem in the middle of the chain. As a 've tried turning off the Anthem and the Panasonic to see if there's anything funky with the HDMI signal chain. On the Oppo's counter, I see the time sticking even with the other devices off. Iv'e also changedHDMI cables, etc. etc. etc.

I've tried decoding the audio in the player as well as in the pre-pro. What happens with the pausing is on the Anthem's front panel, it will go thought the decoding sequence so I'll see the center channel volume adjust +4, it will tell me source resolution and display the audio. Then it will drop, reset, and go all over again. The pausing, when it happens is never in the same place. I've also made sure to clean the discs.

I also tried searching to see if the problem discs like Transformers4, Walter Mitty, etc. had any issues with the BDP-83, but I can't find anything about any such issues that would lead me to think it's disc-specific to these two and a handful of other titles that have become problematic.

Bottom line, I can only assume I have something funky going on with the Oppo but not quite sure what else I need to do. I don't know if this is an issue with the laser reading the discs or some anomaly with the firmware. I have not tried re-applying the current firmware or downgrading to an earlier version. I'll be reaching out to Oppo support come the work week, but I'd appreciate some debugging assistance here.

All of this is recent and I've had flawless operation. Thanks for any insights and debugging ideas you all can give me!
Thxtheater, at first it sounds like your drive is failing and may need repaired, but...
Are those discs the only ones that have an issue??
If you try other Blu-rays besides those few problematic ones, do they play ok?
What about the loud sound from the drive?... does that only happen with those discs you mentioned, or all discs?
If the symptoms you are experiencing are ONLY on those few discs, then it's probably not the player.
Those discs may have some kind of issue, like scratched, dirty, off-center-hole, rental labels, or something like that possibly.
Have you tried cleaning the discs? Sometimes that helps even if the disc doesn't look like it has anything on it.
Most BDs have a transparent thin film/residue from manufacturing that can sometimes cause issues.
If you do try that, just be very careful what you use as you don't want to accidentally scratch them while trying to clean them.
post #39766 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 5768 Post(s)
Liked: 8244
^ These are classic symptoms of disc read problems -- not HDMI and not firmware. What you are seeing/hearing is the player attempting to do read error recovery.

The most likely answer is that the laser lens needs cleaning. There are separate laser lenses for Blu-ray and for everything else.

If that doesn't do it, then you should arrange to send the 83 in for service. OPPO has reasonably priced, flat-rate service for players out of warranty.

If the problems are limited to only a couple Blu-ray discs, then try cleaning those discs.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #39767 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ These are classic symptoms of disc read problems -- not HDMI and not firmware. What you are seeing/hearing is the player attempting to do read error recovery.

The most likely answer is that the laser lens needs cleaning. There are separate laser lenses for Blu-ray and for everything else.

If that doesn't do it, then you should arrange to send the 83 in for service. OPPO has reasonably priced, flat-rate service for players out of warranty.

If the problems are limited to only a couple Blu-ray discs, then try cleaning those discs.
--Bob
Thanks @Bob and @Smarty. I'll explore the lens cleaner route and if all else fails send it in.

I've tried cleaning the discs that have been problematic. and its been more than just those. Post cleaning has yielded no better results.

Thanks for confirming a path for me to pursue on this.
post #39768 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't believe it. I just don't believe it. I got a disc cleaner from BestBuy and bingo Transformers4 played no problem. I didn't play the entire movie but I couldn't go more than 1-2 min without severe stops. I played 10 minutes with no issues at all.

Super thanks Bob and all.
post #39769 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 5768 Post(s)
Liked: 8244
^ Suddenly. As if by logic!

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #39770 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Spoiler!

-Bill

Thank you; sorry to derail the thread...
post #39771 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Perhaps your post was a bit too cryptic....

No...never...Bob? Cryptic?
post #39772 of 41487 Old 11-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it. I just don't believe it. I got a disc cleaner from BestBuy and bingo Transformers4 played no problem. I didn't play the entire movie but I couldn't go more than 1-2 min without severe stops. I played 10 minutes with no issues at all.

Super thanks Bob and all.

I realize Bob P. suggested the cleaner already and that you bought one through Best Buy, but just as a reference, I use this on a regular basis on my BDP-83 when doing "system diagnostic checks" every so often:

Ironically, I just began experiencing an issue with the cleaner when it arrives at the "5.1 Dolby Digital Surround" speaker test of the disc -- seems the last time I ran the cleaner and its "tests," the part when the speakers are tested for volume, setup and positioning were accompanied by a "freezing" phenomenon which locked the disc completely up and forced me to either open the BDP-83's drawer to reload it or continue on to another part of the tests...no matter how many times I tried to get this to work, it refused to work correctly on the 5.1 surround test menu (this was the very first time this happened with this cleaner and it doesn't occur ANYWHERE else in the disc's tests).

I contacted Maxell about it and they told me to try cleaning the actual disc side, as one would do for a damaged or dirty DVD/Blu-ray that isn't playing right -- while I haven't tried this yet, it seems odd that the ONLY place the disc would lock up and cause this freezing is during this ONE Dolby Digital 5.1 speaker test/check...if there were scratches (don't see how based on how I care for my discs, which is to say impeccably) or debris, wouldn't it possibly affect other portions of the disc and its tests?

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 11-08-2014 at 05:28 PM.
post #39773 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can confirm that the best buy lens cleaner worked. I was able to watch Transformers 4 in its entirety without a single hiccup. I wasn't a believer in the lens cleaners until now :-). I'm now a convert.
post #39774 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Once again just to clarify:
Cleaner discs with brushes should never be used on a BD drive.
Cleaner discs in general may be useful for re-distributing dust on a laser lens, and might therefore improve playback issues.
Nothing can substitute for an actual physical cleaning of the laser by hand with a q-tip.
post #39775 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Once again just to clarify:
Cleaner discs with brushes should never be used on a BD drive.
Cleaner discs in general may be useful for re-distributing dust on a laser lens, and might therefore improve playback issues.
Nothing can substitute for an actual physical cleaning of the laser by hand with a q-tip.
Why are they selling them then; to break our BD players?

I use a disc lens cleaner with tiny brushes in all my disc players (CD, DVD Video & Audio, SACD, Blu-ray).
Should I simply open the top cover of all my disc players (about twenty of them) on a regular basis to clean the lenses manually?

Some of us live in more dusty environment than others. And some of us are smokers (cigars, pipes, cigarettes, and all the rest).
post #39776 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I can confirm that the best buy lens cleaner worked. I was able to watch Transformers 4 in its entirety without a single hiccup. I wasn't a believer in the lens cleaners until now :-). I'm now a convert.
That laser lens disc cleaner; does it have small brushes on its playing surface?
post #39777 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
That laser lens disc cleaner; does it have small brushes on its playing surface?
Yes it does.
post #39778 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
It really is risky to use a cleaning disc with brushes on them.
It's also pretty rare to have a dirty laser lens that needs cleaned in the first place, but it does happen.
Usually it is because of deposits from rental discs getting on the surface of the laser lens, especially from the labels they stick on the discs.
Even in a somewhat dusty living environment, as long as you are not leaving the tray stand open unnecessarily,
you still aren't going to get a lot of dust in there.
If you are a smoker, that could eventually cause a film to build up on the lens,
but if that happens, a cleaning disc won't help anyway, since you would need to use a q-tip and alcohol to clean it manually.
It's also not necessary to run a cleaning disc as preventive maintenance.
Not until there is actually a problem and you think it may need done,
but running it when it's not necessary just puts more risk to potentially damage to the lens.
If,,, on the rare occasion that you think the lens might need cleaned, it is better to do it manually than with a disk.
post #39779 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Any word, I've watched the movie, X-Men Days of Future Past, up in the living room, bur really want to see it in my theater...

The Desolation of Smaug (extended), plays no problem.

Last edited by barryecohen; 11-09-2014 at 06:10 PM.
post #39780 of 41487 Old 11-09-2014, 08:48 PM

There are other simple methods to clean your lens from small particles of dust debris:

1. Open the disc tray and blow air with your mouth in the direction of the lens, behind. It is an art, of course.

2. A can of compressed air; the same can you use for your PC keyboard and fans. ...With the disc tray open also.

3. Play a disc fast-forward (press Pause first), and fast-rewind.

* For smokers: A film of brown fog will obscure the lens eventually ---> Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip (top cover removed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page