Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 432Likes

post #39781 of 41484 Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5748 Post(s)
Liked: 8209
^ The problem with the cleaning discs with brushes is that knocking against the lens head might shift its alignment a bit. The tolerances for Blu-ray are pretty tight. Many folks use them without problem of course, but it's a risk that ought to be avoided.

The "brushless" cleaning discs -- the type with holes that set up air turbulence as they spin instead of actually rubbing against the lenses -- are safe to use and often an easy way to dislodge a stubborn piece of dust on one of the lenses. Of course they won't do anything if the lens is filmed with tobacco or cooking smoke -- or one of the real nasties, the oily particulates that are in the air from scented candles or manufactured fireplace logs.

If you have a hard, non-porous surface near the player -- such as picture glass -- try swiping a clean finger across it to see if you get a smear. A smear (not just a cleaner strip because you wiped dust away) is an indication that you have stuff floating in the air which can film the player's lens.

Cleaning a filmed lens requires opening up the lid and the protective cover of the optical drive, and gently cleaning with a Q-tip barely moistened with alcohol. OPPO can do this for you if you send the player in for flat-rate service.

If you find you have to clean dust off the lens frequently, then that probably means there is also dust buildup inside the optical drive. When you send a player in to OPPO to get cleaned for problems like this, they not only clean the lens, they vacuum away any dust accumulation. Sometimes they get players that have an alarming amount of dust buildup inside.

Cans of clean, compressed air are sold at, e.g., camera stores for cleaning camera lenses and digital camera sensors. This stuff squirts out cold, so use short squirts so you don't chill things so much that moisture condenses on the lens. I wouldn't try blowing to accomplish this as your breath will also contain moisture .

ETA: In case it isn't obvious, the lens head is positioned underneath the disc playing surface -- pointing up. It moves forward and back under the disc according to what part of the disc is being played at the moment. Usually the normal air turbulence from the spinning disc keeps small dust particles from resting on the lens.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 11-10-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39782 of 41484 Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I paid the premium for the OPPO 83 thinking it would be supported. Now all I hear is excuses and finger pointing over the XM issue.

I am done with OPPO. I can buy another brand and replace it regularly to get over any issue and still be ahead.

Will not buy or recommend OPPO again.
post #39783 of 41484 Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Bob, do you have some examples of good/safe* lens cleaner discs? /// With links please. ...Thank you.

* 'Brushless'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39784 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I had the sticky drawer syndrome, it would never open the first time (cold) but always opened after that. Not a big deal but after reading some of the recent conversations here, I decided to call Oppo to ask about the repair. I got an immediate answer and RMA, they said that it is known problem and they would fix it free of charge. How can anyone argue with that? They said they have a two to three day turn around time so I figured I could live without it for a week. I boxed it up and sent it out on Saturday, they received it Monday, fixed it and shipped it back to me the same day! I got it today and it's back in and better than ever.

No one beats Oppo! Not in products, customer service, support and repairs, that's every category.

While on the phone with them last week, I asked about a couple of BD's I had issues with and Chris, the rep I spoke to, knew about the issues and told me the fix and/or work-around right off the top of his head. That's what I call staying on top of products.

wmccclaim, thanks for the region code info, will try that tomorrow. Looking forward to finally watching the few imports I have on the 83.

All hail Oppo.

post #39785 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I paid the premium for the OPPO 83 thinking it would be supported. Now all I hear is excuses and finger pointing over the XM issue.

I am done with OPPO. I can buy another brand and replace it regularly to get over any issue and still be ahead.

Your loss . . .

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #39786 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 2239
Quote:

Did you miss the posts that indicated that Oppo is investigating the issue?
post #39787 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodguy View Post
I had the sticky drawer syndrome, it would never open the first time (cold) but always opened after that. Not a big deal but after reading some of the recent conversations here, I decided to call Oppo to ask about the repair. I got an immediate answer and RMA, they said that it is known problem and they would fix it free of charge. How can anyone argue with that? They said they have a two to three day turn around time so I figured I could live without it for a week. I boxed it up and sent it out on Saturday, they received it Monday, fixed it and shipped it back to me the same day! I got it today and it's back in and better than ever.

No one beats Oppo! Not in products, customer service, support and repairs, that's every category.

While on the phone with them last week, I asked about a couple of BD's I had issues with and Chris, the rep I spoke to, knew about the issues and told me the fix and/or work-around right off the top of his head. That's what I call staying on top of products.

wmccclaim, thanks for the region code info, will try that tomorrow. Looking forward to finally watching the few imports I have on the 83.

All hail Oppo.

Did he actually tell you the fix or just commented that there is a fix in the works?

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo BDP 83, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #39788 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Did he actually tell you the fix or just commented that there is a fix in the works?

Probably just the LPCM workaround for audio dropouts on other TrueHD discs, not the "XM won't load issue".

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #39789 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Hey Fellas,

Just as an update, I rented X-Men: Days of Future Past on Blu-ray from Redbox yesterday and it wouldn't play on my BDP-83; I got the "Won't Read Disc" message where the disc attempts to load and then the player spits it out...

Has this been the common error with this title? At this point I am just going to see if I can snag a DVD copy so I can at least view the film...
post #39790 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
Your loss . . .

Agreed...

I'd buy another OPPO in a New York minute...
Jacob305 likes this.
post #39791 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Bob, do you have some examples of good/safe* lens cleaner discs? /// With links please. ...Thank you.

* 'Brushless'.

Bob,

The Maxell "brushless" Blu-ray lens cleaner I cited on the previous page of this thread works well and utilizes a "wind tunnel" system that blows air off the lens without the use of a brush...
post #39792 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 AM

And, for whatever it's worth, with regard to the discussion concerning the laser lens cleaners that use brushes, OPPO themselves told me they "do not believe" that ANY of these cleaning kits -- even those that use brushes -- will cause long-term harm to their players' laser heads; just throwing it out there...
post #39793 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Probably just the LPCM workaround for audio dropouts on other TrueHD discs, not the "XM won't load issue".
Hi guys,

My two discs in question were Total Recall (2012), which is the LPCM fix and Riddick (2013) which was a purge of the persistant storage, which worked perfectly. The latter might work for XM too, give it a try. I have two Sony players also and one of them wouldn't play it either so it's not just Oppo.

It's a bummer cdelena is bashing Oppo for one disc...

post #39794 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Agreed...

I'd buy another OPPO in a New York minute...
Yessir!

I own two now. My daughter has the -83 hooked up in her BR, and the -103 is my go-to player in the family room.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #39795 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
Yessir!

I own two now. My daughter has the -83 hooked up in her BR, and the -103 is my go-to player in the family room.

+10000

Based on these players' DVD upconversion performance alone -- a big factor for us personally -- I'd buy another OPPO; my next deck will be one of their 4K players, if and when the format takes off...
post #39796 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

My two discs in question were Total Recall (2012), which is the LPCM fix and Riddick (2013) which was a purge of the persistant storage, which worked perfectly. The latter might work for XM too, give it a try. I have two Sony players also and one of them wouldn't play it either so it's not just Oppo.

I had the issue with the Total Recall disc as well when I rented it; I went through two or three Blu-rays from my Blockbuster at the time and they all had the dropout. I ended up telling the manager of the store about how this title was supposedly "mastered" or "authored" wrong and he gave me a DVD copy for no re-charge...
post #39797 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Bob,
The Maxell "brushless" Blu-ray lens cleaner I cited on the previous page of this thread works well and utilizes a "wind tunnel" system that blows air off the lens without the use of a brush...
Oh ok good thanks; I thought that it has tiny brushes too.

By the way, I have about half dozen lens cleaner discs; and all of them have tiny brushes.
Now I will look for one without them, like that Maxell one you posted recently; thx again my friend.
post #39798 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:

I said the same thing to myself before, regarding Panasonic and Samsung;
that's when I bought my Oppo 103.

I will never purchase a Panny and Sammy BD player, ever! ...Oppo for life.
...And Sony best second. ...Even if Sony made many many mistakes for many many years; in their malpractice. But Sony get very very little from me now; only BD players for less than $150.
...And no Sony TVs for me. ...But I still look @ their front projectors (3D) and 4K movies.

And regarding the 83; only one BD title (X-Men latest) that won't play, because of no more support from Mediatek...we cannot blame Oppo for that...it's not their fault. ...Plus FOX studios ain't much cooperative either, and not only here, but also with all other BD player brands and for many years, because of their deep paranoia and constant changes with their codecs (piracy paranoia).
FOX have been playing hard balls with all of us, and for a very long time too.
...One of my least favorite Hollywood studios; and from various aspects of their business with customers, us, who support them and keep filling their cash machines.

Anyway, Oppo has nothing to do with FOX and the way FOX operates.
Plus, Mediatek too, of course. It is Mediatek who doesn't support their video processors any longer, and not Oppo. ...Oppo is taking a hit here, because of unpredicted life's circumstances (Mediatek & FOX).
And that is all there is to it. ...In my sincere and intelligent and logical deduction/opinion.

Oppo is still the best of the best.
Zenyatto likes this.
post #39799 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

'Total Recall' (2012) is definitely a defective Blu-ray disc (fact).
You need:
1. Or set your player for LPCM (do the decoding inside).
2. Or exchange your defective copy for a new working one. ...From Sony.
post #39800 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
You need:
That's good to know, I'll contact them for an exchange, hopefully!

post #39801 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Oh ok good thanks; I thought that it has tiny brushes too.

By the way, I have about half dozen lens cleaner discs; and all of them have tiny brushes.
Now I will look for one without them, like that Maxell one you posted recently; thx again my friend.

Hey, anytime my friend!

Yeah, as far as I know, Maxell was the first manufacturer on the market with a totally brushless system, as seen in the disc I highlighted on the previous page...

Amazon usually has good deals on these cleaning kits...
post #39802 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I said the same thing to myself before, regarding Panasonic and Samsung;
that's when I bought my Oppo 103.

I will never purchase a Panny and Sammy BD player, ever! ...Oppo for life.
...And Sony best second. ...Even if Sony made many many mistakes for many many years; in their malpractice. But Sony get very very little from me now; only BD players for less than $150.
...And no Sony TVs for me. ...But I still look @ their front projectors (3D) and 4K movies.

And regarding the 83; only one BD title (X-Men latest) that won't play, because of no more support from Mediatek...we cannot blame Oppo for that...it's not their fault. ...Plus FOX studios ain't much cooperative either, and not only here, but also with all other BD player brands and for many years, because of their deep paranoia and constant changes with their codecs (piracy paranoia).
FOX have been playing hard balls with all of us, and for a very long time too.
...One of my least favorite Hollywood studios; and from various aspects of their business with customers, us, who support them and keep filling their cash machines.

Anyway, Oppo has nothing to do with FOX and the way FOX operates.
Plus, Mediatek too, of course. It is Mediatek who doesn't support their video processors any longer, and not Oppo. ...Oppo is taking a hit here, because of unpredicted life's circumstances (Mediatek & FOX).
And that is all there is to it. ...In my sincere and intelligent and logical deduction/opinion.

Oppo is still the best of the best.

I agree with just about everything Bob is saying here; indeed, it is FOX's fault for the way they design their ridiculous anti-piracy algorithms and authoring schemes, and we can't blame this on hardware manufacturers like OPPO...people need to get mad with FOX and their engineers and start sending emails and such THEIR way. For whatever it's worth, I just emailed OPPO about the X-Men debacle, because I experienced it last night with a rental BD of the film (I got the dreaded "Wrong Disc!" message and then the player spit it back out), and I will share whatever they tell me in return (probably the same response others have shared in this thread with regard to this; the Mediatek implementation is probably just too obsolete at this point).

The sad thing is that I can't even track down a DVD copy of the title to rent -- all the Redbox outlets near me are only carrying the Blu-rays, which won't play in my BDP-83. This may just be a title I NEVER get to watch, if you can believe that...
post #39803 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
You need:

Yes, Total Recall (2012) had an imbedded audio glitch on the Blu-ray release (I went through at least three copies at my local Blockbuster when they were still open until I finally caved and rented the DVD version) that was proven and documented as a studio error (I assume this was a bitstreaming-only problem, based on Bob's first suggestion above)...
post #39804 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't see anywhere (too small) that it has no brushes.
...And I still have three HD DVD players, in addition to roughly six-seven BD players.

* Does it also work with CD/SACD/DVD Video-Audio players? ...Because I must have few dozens of those.
post #39805 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Here's what bothers me beyond just the scope of the X-Men disc...what if, down the road, some "must-own" marquee titles such as Avengers: Age of Ultron, Superman v. Batman: Dawn of Justice and Jurassic World eventually make their way onto Blu-ray and the BDP-83 can't play these, either? I understand that right now it seems like Fox is the studio showing the most aggressive use of these security mappings and authoring schemes, or whatever it is that's making their titles be rendered unplayable by many decks, but what if Disney, Warner Bros. and Universal begin bogging their titles down with elements that render them unplayable on older machines such as the BDP-83?

I didn't really want to upgrade from the '83 until 4K physical media as a format arrived (if that happens) but if it's the case that newer titles begin to refuse to play in this deck, well....

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 11-13-2014 at 05:58 PM.
post #39806 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't see anywhere (too small) that it has no brushes.
...And I still have three HD DVD players, in addition to roughly six-seven BD players.

* Does it also work with CD/SACD/DVD Video-Audio players? ...Because I must have few dozens of those.

It will definitely work with DVD players, but I'm not sure about CD and SACD decks because there are on-screen video prompts to follow, so...
post #39807 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The sad thing is that I can't even track down a DVD copy of the title to rent -- all the Redbox outlets near me are only carrying the Blu-rays, which won't play in my BDP-83. This may just be a title I NEVER get to watch, if you can believe that...
You have the Blu-ray of 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past'? ...Inside there is a digital copy code.
Follow the three easy steps and voila!

Or! You can download the flick (like many people do) from one of them numerous professional movie websites. ...For free.

When there is an optional solution there is always a way.
...Not the best but satisfying enough for most nonetheless.
post #39808 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 PM

The day that the 83 won't be able to play say a dozen or so Blu-ray titles, that'll be the day to upgrade with a new player.

Nothing last forever. ...Highlander.
post #39809 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
You have the Blu-ray of 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past'? ...Inside there is a digital copy code.
Follow the three easy steps and voila!

Or! You can download the flick (like many people do) from one of them numerous professional movie websites. ...For free.

When there is an optional solution there is always a way.
...Not the best but satisfying enough for most nonetheless.

I don't own it -- I rented it, so no digital copy...

Also, I'd rather watch via physical media, not a download...but thanks for the alternatives.
post #39810 of 41484 Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
The day that the 83 won't be able to play say a dozen or so Blu-ray titles, that'll be the day to upgrade with a new player.

Nothing last forever. ...Highlander.

I totally understand that nothing lasts forever ("even cold November rain...." ) but the problem is, I don't want to just jump into another new BD player before a new format like 4K arrives only to have to buy yet ANOTHER new player for the new format...

Do you foresee all new titles rendering the BDP-83 obsolete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page