Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes

post #40861 of 41488 Old 03-25-2016, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I currently have a Panasonic DMP-BD35 from 2008 that still works pretty good. My major complaints are that it is extremely slow loading discs and I have a couple of blu-rays that it won't play and tells me that there is a copyright issue even though the discs will play in 2 other extremely cheap players that are only a couple years old.

I have the chance to buy an excellent condition BDP-83 for $100. I thought about just spending the money on a BDP-103 but I really don't need all of the smart aps as I have them on other pieces in my system and I am probably going to buy a UHD player in a couple of years (am not a fan of the Samsung and I want to see what Oppo, Denon, and a couple of other companies offer in a truly universal player).

I know the analog audio portion of the 83 will be much better than my current player and I do listen to CD's on it and I believe the video section is better as well. I have read that the 83 was very fast at loading discs in its time. My question is, is there any reason I shouldn't buy it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40862 of 41488 Old 03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
^ I wouldn't call the -83 "fast", but it's not "slow" either, but probably considered slow compared to the newest players.
When it was first released it was on par with the fastest players in the market, but since that time, loading speeds have gotten even better.
I really don't know if it's going to be significantly faster than your BD35. Maybe slightly, maybe not at all.

The Oppo 10x players offer more than just apps, including HDMI inputs, and pretty much improvement on every level compared to the older 83/93 models.
You kinda can't go wrong for $100 though if it's in good shape and includes accessories, etc...
On the other hand, if you are just looking for a basic BD/DVD/CD player with analog output,
you may be able to find a similarly priced newer player from another brand. Maybe even from Panasonic.

On the other hand, you have to figure that Oppo's UHD player will probably be out in less than a year,
and if you can rub out that upgrade itch for a while, it might be worthwhile to just stick with what you have until then.
I guess it all depends on how much value you put on $100, and if it's not a ton of money, maybe just buy the -83 to play with until then.

So just some different food for thought there.
Bottom line is that the -83 is a solid quality player, but it is older tech, so don't expect it to perform like a newer generation player.
post #40863 of 41488 Old 03-25-2016, 11:57 PM

I decided to go for it. The 83 is slightly faster than my Panasonic DMP-BD35. The video and audio performance is much better. The unit is in outstanding condition and came with everything but the original box. For $100 I didn't figure I could get hurt and this will hold me over until Oppo puts out their first or second generation UHD player.
AVfile and Mike_WI like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40864 of 41488 Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
I decided to go for it. The 83 is slightly faster than my Panasonic DMP-BD35. The video and audio performance is much better. The unit is in outstanding condition and came with everything but the original box. For $100 I didn't figure I could get hurt and this will hold me over until Oppo puts out their first or second generation UHD player.

$100 for an 83 in excellent condition is worth it, IMO.

BTW, I just got my 2009 BDP-83 back from OPPO on a warranty repair to the loader and a power supply replacement. I didnt even know the power supply was an issue, it went in for the loader issue and they replaced the PS for no charge when they tested it and found a problem.

Very cool and thank you OPPO !!!!
grubavs and Mike_WI like this.

Last edited by gbreda; 03-26-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #40865 of 41488 Old 03-26-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The only thing I have read about the 83 that would hold me back is that the processor in it is inadequate to properly bitstream Dolby TrueHD lossless audio on titles utilizing complex seamless branching (which may be why it was available for sale in the 1st place).
gbreda likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #40866 of 41488 Old 03-26-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
The only thing I have read about the 83 that would hold me back is that the processor in it is inadequate to properly bitstream Dolby TrueHD lossless audio on titles utilizing complex seamless branching (which may be why it was available for sale in the 1st place).
Although that is an issue on the 83 that wont be resolved, there is a workaround for that.

DTS HD 7.1 set for Bitstream
True HD 7.1 set for LPCM

It works fine, but you need to switch depending on the track type. Kind of a PITA but it saves $$ on upgrading to a 103.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #40867 of 41488 Old 03-26-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Although that is an issue on the 83 that wont be resolved, there is a workaround for that.

DTS HD 7.1 set for Bitstream
True HD 7.1 set for LPCM

It works fine, but you need to switch depending on the track type. Kind of a PITA but it saves $$ on upgrading to a 103.
Yes, it is good that the OP now knows about the problem and workaround when/if he gets the audio dropouts on such a title.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #40868 of 41488 Old 03-26-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Yes, it is good that the OP now knows about the problem and workaround when/if he gets the audio dropouts on such a title.
First time it happened to me ( Capt America Winter Soldier blu ray) I thought my speakers were damaged in some way...luckily that wasnt the case. In most explosions or loud glass breaking in one scene, my mains crackled like they had blown drivers.

Thankfully it was covered somewhere in this thread and the resolve was posted as well. I havnt had the issue since.
post #40869 of 41488 Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
$100 for an 83 in excellent condition is worth it, IMO.

It will certainly hold its value. He could easily sell it for that much, maybe more, when the time comes.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #40870 of 41488 Old 03-27-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
I currently have a Panasonic DMP-BD35 from 2008 that still works pretty good. My major complaints are that it is extremely slow loading discs and I have a couple of blu-rays that it won't play and tells me that there is a copyright issue even though the discs will play in 2 other extremely cheap players that are only a couple years old.

I have the chance to buy an excellent condition BDP-83 for $100. I thought about just spending the money on a BDP-103 but I really don't need all of the smart aps as I have them on other pieces in my system and I am probably going to buy a UHD player in a couple of years (am not a fan of the Samsung and I want to see what Oppo, Denon, and a couple of other companies offer in a truly universal player).

I know the analog audio portion of the 83 will be much better than my current player and I do listen to CD's on it and I believe the video section is better as well. I have read that the 83 was very fast at loading discs in its time. My question is, is there any reason I shouldn't buy it?
The main issues are the power supply and the transport/laser mechanism. The later models were a lot more reliable.. I have changed both components in my Nuforce Edition. Parts are quite scarce on the ground these days..
post #40871 of 41488 Old 03-31-2016, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I got a deal for oppo bdp-83 for 150 dollars.i have a pioneer bdp-160.i want and oppo player becaus this 1 is region free.but is it worth it?will it be a step down from pioneer 160 or better?

LG 55B7-Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y-Panasonic UB700-Sony BDP-S6500-Pioneer BDP-120 Region Free.Philips Fidelio x2.
post #40872 of 41488 Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 2976
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1280 View Post
I got a deal for oppo bdp-83 for 150 dollars.i have a pioneer bdp-160.i want and oppo player becaus this 1 is region free.but is it worth it?will it be a step down from pioneer 160 or better?
The BDP-83 is a universal player, and that should be the main reason for considering it. Its also the best player ever for DVDs. If you're mainly looking for a BD player, most anything will do.
AVfile likes this.
post #40873 of 41488 Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The BDP-83 is a universal player, and that should be the main reason for considering it. Its also the best player ever for DVDs. If you're mainly looking for a BD player, most anything will do.
I watch alot of blu rays and sometimes dvd,some zone A bd movies.

LG 55B7-Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y-Panasonic UB700-Sony BDP-S6500-Pioneer BDP-120 Region Free.Philips Fidelio x2.
post #40874 of 41488 Old 04-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Okay, I have a BDP-83 and it's failing; it no longer recognizes any discs other than standard Blu-Rays. It says "no disc" when a DVD or SACD or CD is placed in the tray, as well as when it's turned on with a Blu-Ray already in it. I've already done the factory restore and it didn't change anything. Whether I get it fixed or replaced depends on the answers to some questions I have.

Firstly, how is it a Universal Player? It doesn't play cross-region discs, does it? I still have my old Oppo DVD universal player, because it's the only way I can watch my Australian DVD collection of Mysterious Cities of Gold. The BDP-83 has never recognized those discs, and I thought I looked a year or so ago and the 83 was not multi-region. Am I wrong?

Second question: Does the BDP-83 pass the Atmos metadata? I know some older players don't. Previously, I've only watched Atmos content through VUDU. I just bought a(nother) copy of Interstellar, specifically because at least according to the back of the box, it has Dolby Atmos. But playing the movie itself only yields DTS-Master Audio. The only Dolby content is lossy digital, and it's an English narrative track at that.

Third question: Now that I've got a Pioneer Elite with Dual Sabre-32 DACs, is there any reason I should pay $100 to fix this old player? I've loved the BDP-83, but I don't think I have need of the things that used to make it better than a new $70 Sony/Panasonic/Samsung Blu-Ray player. The DVD upscaling isn't much better than my TV or AVR, and my receiver decodes audio better than the BDP-83 does.

Pioneer SC-95, 2x Crown XLS 1000 (LCR amps)
3x Epos Epic 2(LCR), 4x Emotiva UAW 6.2(Surrounds), 4x Aperion Intimus LC-I6(Atmos/DTS:X)
2x Dayton Ultimax 18" sealed(subs), Behringer Inuke 6000DSP(sub amp),
Vizio P-65C1 LED HDR
Oppo UDP-203 HD-Blu Ray Player, Oppo DV971H DVD Player, Roku Premiere+
post #40875 of 41488 Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post
Firstly, how is it a Universal Player?
Universal Player means it accepts all audio format discs: CD, SACD, DVD-A.

Quote:
It doesn't play cross-region discs, does it?
There is a free software patch that makes all OPPO Blu-ray players region-free for DVD (not Blu-ray). It is unsupported and of unknown origin, but I have used it on every player and it has never given a bit of trouble. See: http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

-Bill
Mike_WI likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #40876 of 41488 Old 04-02-2016, 01:06 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Okay, I have a BDP-83 and it's failing; it no longer recognizes any discs other than standard Blu-Rays. It says "no disc" when a DVD or SACD or CD is placed in the tray, as well as when it's turned on with a Blu-Ray already in it. I've already done the factory restore and it didn't change anything. Whether I get it fixed or replaced depends on the answers to some questions I have.

Firstly, how is it a Universal Player? It doesn't play cross-region discs, does it? I still have my old Oppo DVD universal player, because it's the only way I can watch my Australian DVD collection of Mysterious Cities of Gold. The BDP-83 has never recognized those discs, and I thought I looked a year or so ago and the 83 was not multi-region. Am I wrong?
Universal means it will play Bluray, DVD, CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio.

There's a free software modification you can run to make the player region free for DVD; a hardware mod would be needed to play all Bluray regions.

Quote:
Second question: Does the BDP-83 pass the Atmos metadata? I know some older players don't. Previously, I've only watched Atmos content through VUDU. I just bought a(nother) copy of Interstellar, specifically because at least according to the back of the box, it has Dolby Atmos. But playing the movie itself only yields DTS-Master Audio. The only Dolby content is lossy digital, and it's an English narrative track at that.
Yes, any player that will bitstream Dolby True HD will pass Atmos metadata, the BDP-83 included. The issue you'll run into with some titles is that the BDP-83 has trouble bitstreaming Dolby True HD 7.1 tracks when the disc has been authored with complex seamless branching; the workaround being to have the player convert the Dolby True HD to LPCM. For those discs, you won't be able to send the Atmos metadata to your AVR for processing. Note that the BDP-9x players have the same limitation, while the BDP-10x players do not.

Quote:
Third question: Now that I've got a Pioneer Elite with Dual Sabre-32 DACs, is there any reason I should pay $100 to fix this old player? I've loved the BDP-83, but I don't think I have need of the things that used to make it better than a new $70 Sony/Panasonic/Samsung Blu-Ray player. The DVD upscaling isn't much better than my TV or AVR, and my receiver decodes audio better than the BDP-83 does.
If nothing else, you should be able to sell the player on the used market for more than the repair will cost you. Of course, you may also be able to get decent money for it in its current condition as many buyers are aware of Oppo's reasonable repair costs. Only you can decide if it makes sense to keep the player in your system at this point - if you don't have another player that can play SACD or DVD-Audio discs and that's a priority, that would be an obvious reason to keep it. The BDP-83's DVD deinterlacing and scaling is widely considered to be one of the best players ever built, many feel it's better than Oppo's newer players at that task.
AVfile likes this.
post #40877 of 41488 Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Just had an odd occurrence with my BDP-83 SE. Was playing along just fine, about half way through the side of a HDCD audio CD, and went MUTE. No sound, nothing out of the stereo outs or the multichannel L & R outs. Put in another audio CD regular not "HD" same muted no sound. All appearances it was working and counting along as though nothing was wrong. Finally I unplugged it from AC power for a few minutes, tried again and all OK now.

What the heck was that!

Anyone else ever have that happen?
post #40878 of 41488 Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Just had an odd occurrence with my BDP-83 SE. Was playing along just fine, about half way through the side of a HDCD audio CD, and went MUTE. No sound, nothing out of the stereo outs or the multichannel L & R outs. Put in another audio CD regular not "HD" same muted no sound. All appearances it was working and counting along as though nothing was wrong. Finally I unplugged it from AC power for a few minutes, tried again and all OK now.

What the heck was that!

Anyone else ever have that happen?
Blame it on failed HDCP handshakes. It happens sometimes, and muted audio is the result. If it becomes a regular issue, consider swapping out HDMI cables.

Or, draw a chalk pentagram on top of the player for permanent protection.
post #40879 of 41488 Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Blame it on failed HDCP handshakes. It happens sometimes, and muted audio is the result. If it becomes a regular issue, consider swapping out HDMI cables.

Or, draw a chalk pentagram on top of the player for permanent protection.

Just using for audio CD player only, using only the analog audio out jacks. Not a TV with HDMI or an AVR in the room.

It just did it again after 15-20 min playing.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 04-14-2016 at 09:23 AM.
post #40880 of 41488 Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Sounds like something that may be related to heat. Give Oppo a call or send them an email. They will probably have answers for you.

post #40881 of 41488 Old 04-14-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Just using for audio CD player only, using only the analog audio ouit jacks. Not a TV with HDMI or an AVR in the room.

It just did it again after 15-20 min playing.
Yeah, since both sets of analog outs are effected, its an Oppo support issue. Is the cooling fan functioning OK?
post #40882 of 41488 Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Sounds like something that may be related to heat...
Yep I think you may be correct. This time (2nd ever to do this) I just turned it off but left plugged in, after it cooled for 5 min or so tried it again and audio came back. Now trying to get a definite pattern to the failure so I can relate that to Oppo.
post #40883 of 41488 Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just to follow up.. 83 SE's audio hasn't gone away since yesterday's event. Been playing all morning, several CDs, and played about 10 hours yesterday.
post #40884 of 41488 Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Sometimes there are just temporary glitches but it might indicate something to keep an eye (and ear) on.

post #40885 of 41488 Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone had a problem playing the new Star Wars The Force Awakens bluray on their Oppo BDP83? For the life of me I cannot get the surround channels going. I use the analog 5.1 outputs and have already verified everything working using a reference disc (the disney WOW test disc). Without changing any settings and just swapping the disc out to the Star Wars disc, I get nothing out of my surround channels. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

-Chuck
post #40886 of 41488 Old 04-15-2016, 10:28 PM

I just got done watching Star Wars TFA and I didn't have any problems. I am running an 83 with a Denon 4200 and 5.2.4 speaker setup. I use HDMI from my 83 and I get DTS-HD Master + Neural X when I'm watching SWTFA.
post #40887 of 41488 Old 04-16-2016, 03:48 AM

Liked: 14
I have watched it twice now... No problems on the 83.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #40888 of 41488 Old 04-16-2016, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any way you guys could test using the Oppo's analog outputs?

edit:
I found someone else with the same issue

I wonder if it's a disc thing or an oppo thing.

edit2:
I have contacted Oppo and will report back if there's any findings.

-Chuck

Last edited by impala454; 04-16-2016 at 05:32 AM.
post #40889 of 41488 Old 04-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Reply from Oppo customer service:

Quote:
Chuck,

If you are using the analog outputs then this is a confirmed issue and we are looking into the possibility of this being addressable through firmware.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
So at least we aren't crazy. Hopefully their customer service will come through as always.

-Chuck
post #40890 of 41488 Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
Has anyone had a problem playing the new Star Wars The Force Awakens bluray on their Oppo BDP83? For the life of me I cannot get the surround channels going. I use the analog 5.1 outputs and have already verified everything working using a reference disc (the disney WOW test disc). Without changing any settings and just swapping the disc out to the Star Wars disc, I get nothing out of my surround channels. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I figured out how to solve the issue with this particular Blu-ray. I did send an email to Oppo and they were also going to look into the problem with this disc. After I contacted them I tried a few more things at home with my setup. I do use the analog outputs on this player because my legacy receiver doesn't process the HD surround formats. Normally when you are using the analog outputs the manual for this player recommends turning the secondary audio off. I went into the set up menu and turned secondary audio to on. This solved the problem right away. For whatever reason with the Force Awakens disc if you have secondary audio turned off you don't get a surround signal. I hope this helps.
Cheers
Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page