Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1377 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes

post #41281 of 41488 Old 11-07-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
I'm looking for input on what to do...

I bought a oppo bdp83 last year on an amazon warehouse deals for 170$ or so. It really does good with dvd up scaling and the multi channel output is why I originally bought it (had a outlaw 1050 but upgraded to a denon x4000), I'm having issues with blurays not playing, actually one just flat out said "can't play disc" prometheus I believe. Oppo said I could send it in for update/service which would be about 100$ all said and done...but I don't think that guarantees it's going to work?

Edit: it plays blurays, it just doesn't play all blurays. Just to clarify. Sometimes it takes multiple trys to load... sometimes it's hard to get past the top menu. Hit and miss.

I'm also using a older sony bluray player..a s300 or s330 (I think)..but it can't seem to decode anything. My receiver goes into prologic ii or "multichannel in" 99% of the time. Using the oppo i got dts hd ma tonight and boy was it missed.

The bdp83 was purchased because of its upscaling capabilities on dvds and it's decoding and setup options. The sony can't seem to decode what it needs to, like it's just outdated like a non hdmi receiver lol. The oppo can't do dolby atmos, if I send it in will they update it so it can? Like mad max it can't handle.

What do you guys with bdp83's do? Is this thing outdated or can it be updated or upgraded?

I'm trying to decide between sinking 100$ into it or putting that towards a newer bluray player that can decode the newer audio formats. I settled on the oppo because research led me to believe it's one of the best dvd up scalers out there, is this true?
I'm sure others will tell you this, but if you're looking at buying another bluray player and you already have an 83, I'd just get it fixed.

I have an 83 and a 103D. The 83 still plays just about everything I've thrown at it (not UHD, but everything else). I also use it to play network media from my NAS. I've never had to get service for it, and it's been in continuous use for the better part of seven years. It's the best DVD upscaler I have (not by much, but there it is), beating out the 103D.

It's doing duty in my bedroom now, so it is still in good use, and will continue for as long as it lasts. If it does get issues, I'll be sending it in to be fixed.

This will last you, to my thinking it's well worth fixing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41282 of 41488 Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:

I bought a oppo bdp83 last year on an amazon warehouse deals for 170$ or so. It really does good with dvd up scaling and the multi channel output is why I originally bought it (had a outlaw 1050 but upgraded to a denon x4000), I'm having issues with blurays not playing, actually one just flat out said "can't play disc" prometheus I believe. Oppo said I could send it in for update/service which would be about 100$ all said and done...but I don't think that guarantees it's going to work?

Edit: it plays blurays, it just doesn't play all blurays. Just to clarify. Sometimes it takes multiple trys to load... sometimes it's hard to get past the top menu. Hit and miss.

I'm also using a older sony bluray player..a s300 or s330 (I think)..but it can't seem to decode anything. My receiver goes into prologic ii or "multichannel in" 99% of the time. Using the oppo i got dts hd ma tonight and boy was it missed.

The bdp83 was purchased because of its upscaling capabilities on dvds and it's decoding and setup options. The sony can't seem to decode what it needs to, like it's just outdated like a non hdmi receiver lol. The oppo can't do dolby atmos, if I send it in will they update it so it can? Like mad max it can't handle.

What do you guys with bdp83's do? Is this thing outdated or can it be updated or upgraded?

I'm trying to decide between sinking 100$ into it or putting that towards a newer bluray player that can decode the newer audio formats. I settled on the oppo because research led me to believe it's one of the best dvd up scalers out there, is this true?
It's a great player, but it's really old..
I fixed mine twice over the years. If it breaks down again, I will bid farewell to it..
post #41283 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I've owned three BDP-83s. Every one of them eventually became "temperamental" and developed issues with the loading tray.

When I'm considering the choice between repair or replace, it comes down to whether the component offers any important feature/function that no newer replacement can replicate. If it does, I'll go to great lengths to extend its useful life. If it doesn't, it makes no sense to put any money into it.

IMO, the 83 falls into the latter category. It just doesn't offer anything that you can't replace in a newer, more reliable player. I would absolutely put the $100 toward a newer Oppo player. Just my 2 cents...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41284 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 324
That's the thing I forgot to mention, I don't plan to buy another oppo after this experience. I'd be putting the 100$ towards a Sony or something, something that can decode better then my current old sony and keeping the oppo for dvd use. It's just so hit an miss. Oh and the tray doesn't always open, I have to tap it sometimes when I hear it try to open. But yea, blurays are pretty similar on all players I hear, the oppo excelled with dvd upscaling and audio/surround sond processing befor the invention of audyssey xt32 lol (exaggeration).

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #41285 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 05:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
First, did you do this procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

Second: the laser heads may just need a cleaning.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #41286 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup I do erase persistent storage constantly. Also yes I'm 99% sure the firmware is up to date. I haven't done a factory reset in awhile.

So will oppo fix the tray for the 79$ flat service "tune up?" As well as clean everything and make sure firmware is up to date? I could try cleaning the lense myself. What bothers me is things like dolby atmos. Actually now that I think of it "home alone" wouldn't play either.

There is a lot of shuttering from the player, like the laser can't figure out where to go.

I'm in Ohio so I'm scared to ship to California due to the possibility of damage. I think the only reason I would do it is to sell it with a good conscious. I was impressed with its audio control, but like a Mercedes s class of 2000, you can now get a much cheaper vehicle with the same options and more reliability, makes me wonder if a cheaper 75-100$ bluray is just as good now as this thing was.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #41287 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
So will oppo fix the tray for the 79$ flat service "tune up?" As well as clean everything and make sure firmware is up to date?
Yes.

Quote:
I could try cleaning the lense myself.
Many do.

The ABT solution was wonderful for getting the most out of DVD. It's not made anymore. I'm happy with the later players, but I remember the 983H and BDP-83 fondly for that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #41288 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Yup I do erase persistent storage constantly. Also yes I'm 99% sure the firmware is up to date. I haven't done a factory reset in awhile.

So will oppo fix the tray for the 79$ flat service "tune up?" As well as clean everything and make sure firmware is up to date? I could try cleaning the lense myself. What bothers me is things like dolby atmos. Actually now that I think of it "home alone" wouldn't play either.

There is a lot of shuttering from the player, like the laser can't figure out where to go.

I'm in Ohio so I'm scared to ship to California due to the possibility of damage. I think the only reason I would do it is to sell it with a good conscious. I was impressed with its audio control, but like a Mercedes s class of 2000, you can now get a much cheaper vehicle with the same options and more reliability, makes me wonder if a cheaper 75-100$ bluray is just as good now as this thing was.

I been using the BDP 83 for 7 years now and if I start to have issues it is worth sending it in for repair. And as long as OPPO will fix the unit it is worth fixing it for the price they charge. I never bought a newer unit since I didn't/don't care for 3D, UHD, and having streaming apps.
They tray issue is common on the 83 and OPPO still repairs it so I would urge you to send it in for the fix. I just tried my Blu ray copy of Prometheus and it played without a hitch so it looks like your player needs service. The player won't get damaged in shipping as a lot of owners have shipped their player in and nobody has ever reported their player was damaged.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #41289 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting, my copy just straight up said it can't play. I threw it in my Sony and it started right up. As far as firmware goes I had it hooked up to the internet, looks like the last update was 2014? So it shout be current unless a factory reset gets rid of the firmware?

Do you have mad max jed1? I can get it to play but the audio won't line up. I forget if I can choose another audio format, the problem is between chapters. I don't have an atmos setup but I can't even play the disc in the oppo correctly.

post #41290 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting, my copy just straight up said it can't play. I threw it in my Sony and it started right up. As far as firmware goes I had it hooked up to the internet, looks like the last update was 2014? So it shout be current unless a factory reset gets rid of the firmware?

Do you have mad max jed1? I can get it to play but the audio won't line up. I forget if I can choose another audio format, the problem is between chapters. I don't have an atmos setup but I can't even play the disc in the oppo correctly.

Yes Mad Max plays without hesitation and no audio issues. I don't have Atmos either as I am not interested in it. For me I am satisfied with my 7.1 setup with my two 1080p kuros and OPPO 83. You definitely need to get the player serviced and when you get it back these issues will be resolved. You could try to clean the laser yourself but your tray is sticking anyway so you may as well send it in.
No, reset to factory defaults will not get rid of current firmware so you could try a reset but I doubt it will help.

post #41291 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh and the tray doesn't always open, I have to tap it sometimes when I hear it try to open.
Quote:
So will oppo fix the tray for the 79$ flat service "tune up?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
They tray issue is common on the 83 and OPPO still repairs it so I would urge you to send it in for the fix.
The tray malfunction is indeed a common issue, and it's a PITA once it starts happening. In my experience, (1) it only gets worse over time, until eventually you can't get it to open at all, and (2) Oppo's fix is not permanent....I sent one unit in twice for that issue. I didn't bother trying again with my other 83s. I really think that the carriage unit used in the BDP-83 was just fundamentally flawed and vulnerable. I've owned several of the subsequent models and none of them have developed the tray issues that all three of my 83s did.

Quote:
In all honestly, I wouldn't consider a BDP-83 worth repairing for the purpose of selling. As you point out, people can buy a brand new BD player for less than $100 these days....why would they want to pay that much or more for a player that's several years (and generations) old and has already had problems?

Especially since you don't want another Oppo, it just makes more sense to put your money into a new player you're happy with. The repair cost could buy you most or all of the new player.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #41292 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
In all honestly, I wouldn't consider a BDP-83 worth repairing for the purpose of selling. As you point out, people can buy a brand new BD player for less than $100 these days....why would they want to pay that much or more for a player that's several years (and generations) old and has already had problems?
Considering that they sell on eBay for around $250, your statement may be inaccurate.
AVfile likes this.
post #41293 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Considering that they sell on eBay for around $250, your statement may be inaccurate.
That's what they list for....but you're not going to find many (if any) bids at that level. Even the current listing with a $159 starting bid doesn't have any nibbles. There are a lot of very nice new BD or UHD players that can be had for $250 or less, so the casual buyer will most likely go for a new player in that price range. Meanwhile, the more "discerning" buyer that really wants Oppo is most likely going to put that much money into a more recent used model (without the known problems of the 83), or toward a 203 if they want new.

It's a little like the Pioneer Kuros. For years after they were discontinued, knowledgeable buyers saw them as the last of a special breed and used ones commanded premium prices. But once better TVs started selling at similar and even lower prices, the bottom fell out of the used Kuro market very quickly. I think the BDP-83 is in a somewhat similar boat....the market and tech has passed them by, and it's hard to justify more than fire sale pricing on them.

Look, I'm not trashing this player or anybody who is still using one. I have three of them myself, and loved them when they worked well. But they are old, and once they become "temperamental," a $79 or $100 fix isn't likely to restore them to several more years of perfect, reliable performance. I'm just saying I think this makes repair a questionable investment for most users.

Last edited by progprog; 11-08-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #41294 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
That's what they list for....but you're not going to find many (if any) bids at that level. .
Average SALE price of the last 10 working BDP-83 on eBay is $245. Ranging from $150-400.

Quote:
But they are old, and once they become "temperamental," a $79 or $100 fix isn't likely to restore them to several more years of perfect, reliable performance. I'm just saying I think this makes repair a questionable investment for most users.
I don't really see any evidence to support this conclusion.
AVfile and ti-triodes like this.
post #41295 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's fine. We just see it differently then.
post #41296 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well see my problem is I own a 110" screen and a lot of dvds, so I bought the 83 because it has a reputation of being among the best upscalers. I actually just checked firmware and it's up to date. On my 27" screen near my modem austin powers dvd looked identical to gone in 60 seconds on bluray from a 10' distance lol. The dvd fired right up, the bluray made lots of noises and took 4-5 times as long.

So my use for it is in its dvd upscaling. I have no idea what these new players do for upscaling. Most reviews agree that a lot of bluray players have similar images. Like they say in motorcycles "a slip on is a slip on is a slip on"...they vary by 1-3 horsepower, just like a bluray image varies ever so slightly, but nothing like "oh man this 1080p image looks like garbage!"

I'm considering sending it in because of the fear of the unkown. I have no idea what other players do with audio, or upscaling. The oppo kills my Sony in upscaling.

Thanks for testing mad max jed1, mine hates that movie. Are you using a 83 or 83se?
mattg3 likes this.

post #41297 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well see my problem is I own a 110" screen and a lot of dvds, so I bought the 83 because it has a reputation of being among the best upscalers. I actually just checked firmware and it's up to date. On my 27" screen near my modem austin powers dvd looked identical to gone in 60 seconds on bluray from a 10' distance lol. The dvd fired right up, the bluray made lots of noises and took 4-5 times as long.

So my use for it is in its dvd upscaling. I have no idea what these new players do for upscaling. Most reviews agree that a lot of bluray players have similar images. Like they say in motorcycles "a slip on is a slip on is a slip on"...they vary by 1-3 horsepower, just like a bluray image varies ever so slightly, but nothing like "oh man this 1080p image looks like garbage!"

I'm considering sending it in because of the fear of the unkown. I have no idea what other players do with audio, or upscaling. The oppo kills my Sony in upscaling.

Thanks for testing mad max jed1, mine hates that movie. Are you using a 83 or 83se?

Just the standard 83. Glad I can help. It is worth having the unit repaired as it will not get better. I mainly use mine to spin Blu rays but I do have a small number of DVD's and I use the 24 frame output for DVD's which is not available on newer players. I am actually surprised that I haven't ran into a Blu that won't play. I just watched King Kong Skull Island and had no issues with it. My Blu library is over 700 titles and still growing.

post #41298 of 41488 Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
^ DVD 24p Conversion is available in the newer OPPO players, too.

Older players can suffer an electrical fault like any piece of electronics, but the usual reasons players need service are:

1) Dust or oil particulates, etc., has accumulated in the optical drive and is interfering with one or both lasers used to read the disc.

2) The laser lens positioning motor wears out and can't position the lens fast enough to read the disc properly.

Whatever the case, OPPO's flat rate service for players out of warranty will get you going again.

As for your worries about newer players, OPPO continues to offer a simple, 30-day return policy on players purchased from their web site. All you risk is the shipping charges. So you can try a 203 or 205 player and see if you like it.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #41299 of 41488 Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I opened it up and cleaned the lens. I spead some of the grease around the slides, added a very little silicon grease (hope thats ok I didnt see how it could hurt) put prometheus in and it actually played. Then I put star wars return of the jedi in and it loaded, took about 2 minutes, but it played. Might watch it a bit then try other discs. It's a lot quieter I noticed, not as much confused jarring electronic motor/servo movements coming from it. Guess I'll give it awhile...ultimate test will be mad max lol.

post #41300 of 41488 Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And mad max didn't work. Got to the top menu, hit play, sound died and then it said "stop" and shut it off. Reload and it can't even get to the top menu befor saying stop.

I guess it's just going to need serviced. Jed1 having 700 titles and it playing all of them does give me hope.

I feel for the people who spent the money on this player new and have had to toss it, or 3 in one guys case. Im not made of money, a near 200$ bluray player shouldve lasted longer then the 11 months i had it, even if it is 7 years old. Oppo should be embarrassed, I know electronics die but people spend more money in hopes of better quality.

post #41301 of 41488 Old 11-09-2017, 04:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I feel for the people who spent the money on this player new and have had to toss it, or 3 in one guys case. Im not made of money, a near 200$ bluray player shouldve lasted longer then the 11 months i had it, even if it is 7 years old. Oppo should be embarrassed, I know electronics die but people spend more money in hopes of better quality.
Good grief. Everything with moving parts needs service eventually. OPPO is still servicing their first Blu-ray player. Get that from another vendor.

-Bill

post #41302 of 41488 Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You didn't really buy a nearly $200 player 11 months ago. If you had, and it died, you'd be rightly annoyed but likely have warranty coverage. More realistically, you bought a 7-8 year old component that has a lot of moving parts, which do wear out. (Of all HT gear, I'd guess disc players have the shortest lifespan....can't think of another component so subject to mechanical wear & tear.)

Having said that, I fully understand your frustration. Not everybody can throw a lot of money at this stuff and it's very disappointing when your investment doesn't go as far as you'd hoped. Best of luck if you decide to get it serviced, or if/when you go a different direction.
post #41303 of 41488 Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

I recently sold my 83 for 85% of what I paid for it 5 years ago (used, 3rd owner). It has never needed service and its 4th owner is delighted. Oppo should be proud.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #41304 of 41488 Old 11-10-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well there's the issue, I've never had a bluray or dvd player have problems, come to think of it I haven't had any electronics but a receiver have issues, it lost an amp, so that's why my view of oppo isn't to great from this experience.

And yes, Amazon warehouse had a deal for the bdp83 "used like new" for 170-180, can't remember the exact price. It was cheaper then any of them on ebay though by a long shot. Amazon had 5 or so.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-10-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #41305 of 41488 Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Well there's the issue, I've never had a bluray or dvd player have problems, come to think of it I haven't had any electronics but a receiver have issues, it lost an amp, so that's why my view of oppo isn't to great from this experience.

And yes, Amazon warehouse had a deal for the bdp83 "used like new" for 170-180, can't remember the exact price. It was cheaper then any of them on ebay though by a long shot. Amazon had 5 or so.
You have no idea if 5 movies or 5 million movies were played on it before you owned it. When you buy a 7 year old device, take statements like "used like new" with a big bucket of salt.
post #41306 of 41488 Old 11-10-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I threw one of my 83's away. Sent it to OPPO as it would get stuck on hello and not do anything. After about a year it started doing it again and i said the heck with it. My other 83 has been trouble free.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #41307 of 41488 Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I weighed the pros and cons, ended up at best buy and made an impulse buy on a Sony x800 for 150$. I'll fix the oppo if I find I have a spare 120$ laying around. I didn't want to risk it breaking in a year again when this beautiful x800 was staring me in the face for 30$ more.
progprog likes this.

post #41308 of 41488 Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:
Well I weighed the pros and cons, ended up at best buy and made an impulse buy on a Sony x800 for 150$. I'll fix the oppo if I find I have a spare 120$ laying around. I didn't want to risk it breaking in a year again when this beautiful x800 was staring me in the face for 30$ more.
I bought a Sony too, just in case my 83 Nuforce packs up...
post #41309 of 41488 Old 11-12-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Remember that Bluray packs a lot of DRM that is continually being updated to be ever more "tricky" to fool pirates and also sometimes tricks Bluray players. In theory, Bluray players also need constant firmware updates to deal with this, but very few manufacturers will do this once their next model is released, (Oppo is the exception, although even they give up eventually because there's no profit in it for them).

It is possible to clean the lens oneself and the common fix for tray issues is to always keep an optical disc (even a failed burn) in the tray when the player is shut down. Of course this doesn't fix all issues, but it often rectifies the most common ones.

Oppo also have been known to provide a replacement tray part for international owners where the cost of postage of the unit back for repair is prohibitively expensive. They did that for free for me and I will be forever grateful. I took the opportunity to clean the lens too.

Discs with Atmos are much later developments which earlier players can't be expected to decode, although I believe the Oppo 93 will send it as bitstream, however on titles with complex seamless branching there can be hiccups. Atmos titles have legacy soundtracks too.

The ultimate fix for problematic discs is to remove DRM and problematic audio and create a movie-only version using ClownBD on a FAT32 USB drive, which should play fine. If you are really keen about hacking a disc structure, it is possible to convert a DRM-free title into a FAT32 compatible title that will play the same as the original disc with menus and extras, although it is more effort than it is worth.

Of course we would like a consumer product that lasts forever and we never have to spend money on it again, but unfortunately that is not how the world works.
post #41310 of 41488 Old 11-12-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Discs with Atmos are much later developments which earlier players can't be expected to decode, although I believe the Oppo 93 will send it as bitstream, however on titles with complex seamless branching there can be hiccups. Atmos titles have legacy soundtracks too.
The Oppo won't decode Atmos, because it doesn't have the decoder nor those additional analog channels. But it should send the bitstream just fine, as most players do.
AVfile likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page