Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1379 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 444Likes

post #41341 of 41511 Old 01-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The MP4 container is not supported on the -83. You might try converting it to MKV with something like mkvmerge, although the audio and video codecs inside the container would also have to be supported and the -83 is pretty limited in that regard.

There is a free utility "mediainfo" that will report on file contents. You might post the output from that and can give more info.

-Bill
MPEG-4 (Base Media/Version 2)
1 video stream AVC
1 audio stream AAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41342 of 41511 Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Apologies if this has been covered, but I did a search and couldn't find a definitive answer.

It it my understanding that the menu settings in Speaker Configuration (speaker size, distance, number of speakers, etc.) doesn't affect audio when using HDMI only. Is this correct?
post #41343 of 41511 Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Apologies if this has been covered, but I did a search and couldn't find a definitive answer.

It it my understanding that the menu settings in Speaker Configuration (speaker size, distance, number of speakers, etc.) doesn't affect audio when using HDMI only. Is this correct?
Correct. Those are for analog audio only.

-Bill
DaverJ likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41344 of 41511 Old 01-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A few weeks back I posted about a problem I was having with the stuck loader on my unit. (A particular individual at) Oppo was nice enough to agree to send me a repair kit. The kit consists of a new top plate for the loader which includes the puck/hub with the magnet, and a new tray drive belt.

I did the swap a couple of weeks back and it took care of the problem. The new top plate looks identical to the old one except for finish, which might simply be due to age. Oppo has confirmed they lowered the magnetic strength of the puck. My old drive belt was no longer round when removed, so perhaps it had stretched. I suspect as the drive belts get older and stretch, they cannot overcome the too-strong magnet in the puck.

Anyway, all is well now. Hope this info helps others with similar issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180103_190159[1].jpg
Views:	122
Size:	557.0 KB
ID:	2350670  
post #41345 of 41511 Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi All, I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but I couldn't find a generic Oppo BDP-83 thread. If there is one, let me know, and I'll post there.

I got the 5 Bluray version of Indiana Jones, The Complete Adventures, for Christmas. I tried the first two discs in my Oppo BDP-83, and both gave me "unknown disc". I have the "latest" (from 2014) software.

Is there a fix I can apply for this? Or other trouble-shooting steps?

Bob
post #41346 of 41511 Old 02-10-2018, 04:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post
Hi All, I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but I couldn't find a generic Oppo BDP-83 thread. If there is one, let me know, and I'll post there.

I got the 5 Bluray version of Indiana Jones, The Complete Adventures, for Christmas. I tried the first two discs in my Oppo BDP-83, and both gave me "unknown disc". I have the "latest" (from 2014) software.

Is there a fix I can apply for this? Or other trouble-shooting steps?
Try this: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill
barryecohen likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #41347 of 41511 Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thank you, that worked. Now I just need to bookmark that and also remember I have it!
Bob Pariseau and wmcclain like this.

Bob
post #41348 of 41511 Old 02-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Strike Back Season 1 Blu-Ray Discs DO Not Play

I just purchased Strike Back Season 1 which consists of 4 disks and cannot play one of them. The disks load but than hang the BDP-83 and cannot do anything via the remote. Have to power down the unit from the front panel and power it back up in order to get the disk out of the unit. I have never encountered this issue playing 100s of Blu_Ray's. Any suggestions or ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Was really looking forward to watching this, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen now. Guess I will be returning this set.
post #41349 of 41511 Old 02-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
I just purchased Strike Back Season 1 which consists of 4 disks and cannot play one of them. The disks load but than hang the BDP-83 and cannot do anything via the remote. Have to power down the unit from the front panel and power it back up in order to get the disk out of the unit. I have never encountered this issue playing 100s of Blu_Ray's. Any suggestions or ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Was really looking forward to watching this, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen now. Guess I will be returning this set.
Look two posts above yours for Bill's link on things to try if discs don't play. Start with those tips.
--Bob
barryecohen likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #41350 of 41511 Old 02-19-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Look two posts above yours for Bill's link on things to try if discs don't play. Start with those tips.
--Bob
Thanks for the info.I'll try to see if I can get it to play before returning the disks
post #41351 of 41511 Old 02-20-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Thanks for the info.I'll try to see if I can get it to play before returning the disks
Follow up on my Strike Back Season One play issue. Did as instructed by Bob as well as OPPO to Erase Persistent Storage and disable BD-Live. On both there was nothing in Persistent Storage and BD-Live was already off. In any case I was finally able to get Disk one to play. When to play Disk 2 and had to go through the same procedure again till it would finally play. OPPO noted "If the issue persists, then you may need a new player as we have seen some HBO titles using a new version of BD-JAVA that is not compatible with your generation of player. This will prevent the disc from getting past the BD-JAVA layer and the player will lock up with all zeroes and dashes on the front panel of the player".

The odd thing is, I have an older Panasonic DMP BD30 Blu Ray player in my bedroom that I had before my BDP-83 and the all four disks in this set play without issue! I also played this title on my HP lap top that has a Blu Ray player and it worked fine also. The only device that has issues is my OPPO which is very disappointing.
post #41352 of 41511 Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Players that do less frequently side step issues that trip up players that do more. For example, does your Panny implement BD Live? The code path through the BD-Java program on the disc varies according to the feature set implemented in the player.

----------------------------

ETA: By the way, try JUST Erasing Persistent Storage between discs and see if that's sufficient to play the next disc. Do this even though the Persistent Storage is showing as empty.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 02-20-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #41353 of 41511 Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
^ Players that do less frequently side step issues that trip up players that do more. For example, does your Panny implement BD Live? The code path through the BD-Java program on the disc varies according to the feature set implemented in the player.

----------------------------

ETA: By the way, try JUST Erasing Persistent Storage between discs and see if that's sufficient to play the next disc. Do this even though the Persistent Storage is showing as empty.
--Bob
The Panny does not have BD Live or an ethernet connection.

I think I did try to erase persistent storage between discs and not sure if it worked or not. The whole thing seems to be hit or miss to get it to play a disk. The strange thing is if I go to play disk one again it plays fine!
post #41354 of 41511 Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The first disc is likely stashing info in Persistent Storage that's too small to register when you look in the Setup menu. Things like its Resume Play point.

With the change in BD-Java libraries OPPO mentioned, the next disc may be having trouble realizing the info that's in there is for a different disc, and so it gets confused.

The BD-Live stuff is the next most likely culprit. The BD-Java program on the disc has some decisions to make about whether to go out onto the network at disc load time, depending on whether the player implements BD-Live, whether that is enabled, and whether there is a live Internet connection. There are known examples of older discs that screw that up royally. Meaning you have to have BD-Live turned OFF in the player for some of those discs and turned *ON* for others, even if you have no internet connection and don't intend to do any BD-Live stuff with any of those discs.

Again, with the change in the BD-Java libraries this disc is using, its logic for checking that may be getting screwed up -- whereas it doesn't even go down that path with the less sophisticated players.

Fun with "standards" changing without regard to backward compatibility....
--Bob

post #41355 of 41511 Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
^ The first disc is likely stashing info in Persistent Storage that's too small to register when you look in the Setup menu. Things like its Resume Play point.

With the change in BD-Java libraries OPPO mentioned, the next disc may be having trouble realizing the info that's in there is for a different disc, and so it gets confused.

The BD-Live stuff is the next most likely culprit. The BD-Java program on the disc has some decisions to make about whether to go out onto the network at disc load time, depending on whether the player implements BD-Live, whether that is enabled, and whether there is a live Internet connection. There are known examples of older discs that screw that up royally. Meaning you have to have BD-Live turned OFF in the player for some of those discs and turned *ON* for others, even if you have no internet connection and don't intend to do any BD-Live stuff with any of those discs.

Again, with the change in the BD-Java libraries this disc is using, its logic for checking that may be getting screwed up -- whereas it doesn't even go down that path with the less sophisticated players.

Fun with "standards" changing without regard to backward compatibility....
--Bob
Good point about BD Live. I'll turn it on see if that makes a difference. That is a function I never turned on since I had this player.
post #41356 of 41511 Old 02-25-2018, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Contemplating picking up a MZ BDP83 for little more then MZ playback, it'll be replacing the newer Sony BDP-S5500?

Will there be any PQ benefits of the oppo over the Sony? Not got anywhere local to get the Sony MZ (if it's even possible!)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #41357 of 41511 Old 03-05-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Oppo in Chinese airport?

Watching the news I noticed the 'Oppo' sign in this Chinese airport.

Being a part of this company sells consumer products like smartphones and the like, it doesn't seem out of place. Oppo and Oppo digital (the blu player division) are both Chinese companies.

Just to us here in the US, we only think of them as the blu player company...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oppo.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	2370998  
post #41358 of 41511 Old 04-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Unhappy Oppo Digital to "gradually" stop manufacturing new products

ADDED: I (now) realize there's a dedicated thread to the Oppo news... Still, some may (like I) only keep the BDP-83 thread in bookmarks, so I'll leave it for now.

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Watching the news I noticed the 'Oppo' sign in this Chinese airport.

Being a part of this company sells consumer products like smartphones and the like, it doesn't seem out of place. Oppo and Oppo digital (the blu player division) are both Chinese companies.

Just to us here in the US, we only think of them as the blu player company...

Are you talking' to me?

Last edited by grubavs; 04-03-2018 at 12:54 PM.
post #41359 of 41511 Old 04-03-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

This is pushing me to replace my perfectly working (at the moment!) 83 for a 203, knowing they will be extinct soon. I don't do 4K discs, but I want a durable Oppo in my system for playback of SACD, DVD-A, BD, and DVDs for the future.

Anyone else with a 83 contemplating the jump to a 203 before they are gone?
post #41360 of 41511 Old 04-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

This is pushing me to replace my perfectly working (at the moment!) 83 for a 203, knowing they will be extinct soon. I don't do 4K discs, but I want a durable Oppo in my system for playback of SACD, DVD-A, BD, and DVDs for the future.

yes, I am.
DaverJ likes this.

Are you talking' to me?
post #41361 of 41511 Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post
yes, I am.
I've got an 83 in the bedroom for mostly music, a 103D in the living area for my main display, will be getting a 203 for my future upgrade to UHD. Was going to hold off for a bit to upgrade, but this has pushed it along. Let my excellent wife know what happened, she said (without prompting)... get one now!
DaverJ likes this.
post #41362 of 41511 Old 04-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Glad I did!

Quote:

If I had not bought a 203 a few months back, I definitely would now. My trusty 83 is in semi retirement, but glad I still have it.
DaverJ and grubavs like this.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-203 Blu Ray, Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo RZ-900 Receiver (7.1 Config)
Klipsch R28F, RC64ii, RS400, RB600, R-12SW Sub
Mac Mini/PS3/Wii, Harmony Smart Control
post #41363 of 41511 Old 04-04-2018, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Trump's tariffs on chinese electronics may kill the feasibility of getting one at the present price. Due to the fact that I have a perfectly working plasma tv, and don't plan to replace it till it dies, I'll pass on a new Oppo until I do, By then HDMI 2.1 will be out.
post #41364 of 41511 Old 04-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

I have an 83 and a 93. I've been thinking of upgrading my hardware to 4k for some time, but haven't done it. After this announcement, I ordered a 203 yesterday.
post #41365 of 41511 Old 04-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I have an 83 and a 93. I've been thinking of upgrading my hardware to 4k for some time, but haven't done it. After this announcement, I ordered a 203 yesterday.
The only problem is there is a new HDMI standard coming next year and there is no way to update the 203/205 models as it will be a hardware change. So basically the OPPO will be obsolete then since there will be no way to update them.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #41366 of 41511 Old 04-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Only if you expect to USE the new features touted for HDMI 2.1. And only if the manufacturers of the first HDMI 2.1 gear actually INCLUDE those new features -- since, as with much of the recent history of HDMI changes, you can call your new product HDMI 2.1 without including a *BUNCH* of stuff declared "optional".

Then you get to do it all over again when new, improved HDMI 2.1 hardware -- now with features! -- starts rolling out.
--Bob
grubavs likes this.

post #41367 of 41511 Old 04-07-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Then you get to do it all over again when new, improved HDMI 2.1 hardware -- now with features.
It's disgusting how HDMI has just become another profiteering manipulation for what is a flawed, outdated interconnect: optical offers way better future potential without dribbling out incremental bandwidth improvements, expensive and limited length copper wiring connections and plugs and the ever-present risk of blowing circuits if a connection is disrupted with power engaged.

With Oppo now exiting the player arena, the least they could do is provide region free firmware and return ISO capability where possible.
Skytrooper likes this.
post #41368 of 41511 Old 04-07-2018, 07:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
With Oppo now exiting the player arena, the least they could do is provide region free firmware and return ISO capability where possible.
It’s possible that Oppo may want to leave the door open to re-enter the market at some point. It’s also likely that the Oppo employees might want to be gainfully employed when they move on. Releasing the region free and/or ISO keys would not be a wise move for them...
post #41369 of 41511 Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
^ Only if you expect to USE the new features touted for HDMI 2.1. And only if the manufacturers of the first HDMI 2.1 gear actually INCLUDE those new features -- since, as with much of the recent history of HDMI changes, you can call your new product HDMI 2.1 without including a *BUNCH* of stuff declared "optional".

Then you get to do it all over again when new, improved HDMI 2.1 hardware -- now with features! -- starts rolling out.
--Bob
Was going to ask in the 203 thread but since it's brought here ...

What is the impact of (or lack of) HDMI 2.1 as it pertains to a 4K player? (figuring won't need 8K any time soon).

Display: Samsung LN55B650
AVR: Denon 2809ci
Players: OPPO BDP-83 || Streaming: Amazon Fire TV || Kindle Fire HD8
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20v3 || CC-570v3 || ADP-470v3
Sub: JTR Captivator 2400ULF-10hz
post #41370 of 41511 Old 04-10-2018, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

The 203 doesn't have dedicated stereo outputs like the 205, but it may sound reasonably well using the L/R outputs of the multichannel outs.

I like the music my 83 does in stereo (for when I'm too burned out to play vinyl....up and down every 20 mins.).

I'd buy the 205 for music, maybe it'd sound as nice as the 83, but the retail price is too high for just that. I had the tray fixed on my 83, so hopefully it'll keep cranking for a long time. When it craps out, I guess I'll see what's on the market at that time.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page