Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 433Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #41431 of 41487 Old 12-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Senior Member
 
manoharshetty9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Still rocking the Oppo 83SE for 8 something years now, though many times the blu rays don't load perfectly---get that dreaded wild motor noise searching for it's place once the disc is in the player.

Most of the time it eventually finds it's place, though sometimes I have to eject and try again---and it seems to always load in the end.

To be fair, it's pretty much done that here and there from day one. But reading of loader issues here has worried me a bit. Though not sure if those are exactly related to my sometimes-issues.

In the eventual possibility that my 83SE takes a dive, what could take it's place? Note that I specifically got the 'SE' at the time for the stereo analog out performance (CD's), so whatever blu ray player replaces the SE should be on that level or higher.

Having a peculiar issue with my 83SE.


It does not recognise Bluray Discs when I load them 95% of the time but plays discs once recognised which is rare and mostly happens when I have fired up the player after a long resting period(cold player). I tried something today that is really peculiar and worked 100% of the time. If I lift up the back portion of the player so that it is at a 45 to 60 degree angle as soon a BR Disc is inserted it always reads and recognises the disc but I have to hold the player at that angle until the top menu appears. If I set the player back down to a flat position before the disc is recognised or sometimes before the top menu appears the dreaded motor noise starts and fails to recognise the disc. This does not work if I raise the front portion of the player to keep it at an angle.

What could be the issue and how can I resolve this?
manoharshetty9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #41432 of 41487 Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,534
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post
Having a peculiar issue with my 83SE.


It does not recognise Bluray Discs when I load them 95% of the time but plays discs once recognised which is rare and mostly happens when I have fired up the player after a long resting period(cold player). I tried something today that is really peculiar and worked 100% of the time. If I lift up the back portion of the player so that it is at a 45 to 60 degree angle as soon a BR Disc is inserted it always reads and recognises the disc but I have to hold the player at that angle until the top menu appears. If I set the player back down to a flat position before the disc is recognised or sometimes before the top menu appears the dreaded motor noise starts and fails to recognise the disc. This does not work if I raise the front portion of the player to keep it at an angle.

What could be the issue and how can I resolve this?
The first step is always to manually clean the lasers with a damp Q-tip. If that doesn't help contact Oppo support. I think they still have drive replacements for the flat rate repair fee.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #41433 of 41487 Old 12-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
manoharshetty9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The first step is always to manually clean the lasers with a damp Q-tip. If that doesn't help contact Oppo support. I think they still have drive replacements for the flat rate repair fee.

Thanks for your input. I cleaned the lens but no change effected. Emailed Oppo and as usual an impressive prompt reply suggesting that there is a balance issue with the spinning disk therefore the Bluray disk is being read always when player is placed at an angle. I think it has to do with the white magnetic plastic cap that attaches to the disk spindle when a disc is inserted.

I have no issues with DVD playback.
manoharshetty9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #41434 of 41487 Old 12-14-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
plain fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Okc, OK
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Did they offer to fix it?

Grady
<<plain fan>>
plain fan is offline  
post #41435 of 41487 Old 12-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
manoharshetty9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
Did they offer to fix it?

Yes they did. Out of warranty service charge $99. but I think I will wait till the player completely fails to read Discs.

I noticed that the player makes the grinding/machine gun noise ONLY when the Laser pickup is trying to move towards the Disc Spindle while reading Discs. The Laser pickup module moves smoothly when it is moving away from the spindle/centre of Disc->outer edge, with no noise but every time it has to move back to centre it makes the noise because it is unable to do so smoothly. Therefore I guess when I lift up the rear end of the player that facilitates the Laser Pickup to move a little more easily towards the centre at an angle due to gravity and it reads discs without the noise. I saw this with the Top of the Player taken off. Looks like a simple fix for this should be there which I am unaware of.

This noise happens every time the Laser Pickup has to move towards the centre/Disc spindle even when there is no disc eg. when the Player is started up and there is initial movement of the Laser pickup to detect a disc.

I also remember this noise started happening specifically after one of the firmware upgrades a few years ago. I can't remember which. I would like to try out the older firmwares to see if that helps. How do I get my hands on the older firmware files? And is it possible to downgrade the firmware to older versions? I may only need the older loader firmware files to downgrade.
manoharshetty9 is offline  
post #41436 of 41487 Old 12-19-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
plain fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Okc, OK
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'd be concerned that by the time you need it fixed, Oppo will no longer be repairing the players. I learned that the hard way in a different circumstance, I thought I'd wait and got burned. Just my opinion. Or just put that money towards one of the better UHD players out there.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
plain fan is offline  
post #41437 of 41487 Old 12-20-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post
Yes they did. Out of warranty service charge $99. but I think I will wait till the player completely fails to read Discs.

I noticed that the player makes the grinding/machine gun noise ONLY when the Laser pickup is trying to move towards the Disc Spindle while reading Discs. The Laser pickup module moves smoothly when it is moving away from the spindle/centre of Disc->outer edge, with no noise but every time it has to move back to centre it makes the noise because it is unable to do so smoothly. Therefore I guess when I lift up the rear end of the player that facilitates the Laser Pickup to move a little more easily towards the centre at an angle due to gravity and it reads discs without the noise. I saw this with the Top of the Player taken off. Looks like a simple fix for this should be there which I am unaware of.

This noise happens every time the Laser Pickup has to move towards the centre/Disc spindle even when there is no disc eg. when the Player is started up and there is initial movement of the Laser pickup to detect a disc.

I also remember this noise started happening specifically after one of the firmware upgrades a few years ago. I can't remember which. I would like to try out the older firmwares to see if that helps. How do I get my hands on the older firmware files? And is it possible to downgrade the firmware to older versions? I may only need the older loader firmware files to downgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
I'd be concerned that by the time you need it fixed, Oppo will no longer be repairing the players. I learned that the hard way in a different circumstance, I thought I'd wait and got burned. Just my opinion. Or just put that money towards one of the better UHD players out there.
I'd just get it fixed now. As mentioned, OPPO is going away, maybe not for three years or so, but they will step away eventually.

If you get it fixed now, it goes back to functioning without a problem and you're good for X number of years. If you decide to replace it with a player that does UHD as well as everything that the 83 does (which could be a tall order), you can sell it in one of the online venuels; it has held up surprisingly well pricewise, and could go a ways to letting you buy a new machine.

Either way, getting it fixed improves the situation. Oppo usually turns things around quickly, so you won't be without the player for long.

I have an 83, a 103D and a 203, and am planning to send the 83 (and maybe the 103D) for service just to make sure they are in good shape. I plan on keeping them for a long time.
hernanu is online now  
post #41438 of 41487 Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,534
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
^^^
Getting a repair isn't really a concern. Oppo will continue to provide repairs and will make a smooth hand-off to a 3rd party service provider when the time comes.
The bigger issue for the 83 is availability of parts. Those loaders are in short supply. The 83 was originally discontinued because the optical unit was no longer being made.
hernanu likes this.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #41439 of 41487 Old 12-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
manoharshetty9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
^^^
Getting a repair isn't really a concern. Oppo will continue to provide repairs and will make a smooth hand-off to a 3rd party service provider when the time comes.
The bigger issue for the 83 is availability of parts. Those loaders are in short supply. The 83 was originally discontinued because the optical unit was no longer being made.

I understand the need for failing optical units which I assume is the Laser lens block and the metal mechanism that holds it along with the Disc spindle and the laser guide motor. The Laser and the 2 motors could fail over time but are still available to purchase on some sites.

By Loader do you mean the whole plastic unit along with the tray that houses the Optical unit? There is not much to go wrong with that from regular/normal use, unless one breaks a part of it, except the Tray motor and the rubber belt that can fail over time. But the Tray Motor and Rubber belt both can be replaced and are available.
manoharshetty9 is offline  
post #41440 of 41487 Old 12-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
sremick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post
I understand the need for failing optical units which I assume is the Laser lens block and the metal mechanism that holds it along with the Disc spindle and the laser guide motor. The Laser and the 2 motors could fail over time but are still available to purchase on some sites.

By Loader do you mean the whole plastic unit along with the tray that houses the Optical unit? There is not much to go wrong with that from regular/normal use, unless one breaks a part of it, except the Tray motor and the rubber belt that can fail over time. But the Tray Motor and Rubber belt both can be replaced and are available.

Not an Oppo unit, but on my parents' Panasonic one evening recently it just stopped playing DVDs. But it'd play Blu-rays just fine. Upon inspection, there are two separate lasers. It would seem the laser perhaps burned out...? Luckily I found an entire new transport assembly for a relatively decent price on eBay so I got that in and swapped the whole thing out.



My point being that there are other things that can fail.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
sremick is offline  
post #41441 of 41487 Old 12-29-2018, 07:38 PM
Senior Member
 
manoharshetty9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Spoke with Oppo Customer Care and they guided me with repairing the player and it is working flawlessly now. I had to lubricate the Laser Pickup Stepper Motor and do some adjustment with the loader.

Just needed some advise on one thing cause going thru the whole forum to decide for myself would take a lot of time. which is the better Audio Enhanced player version Upgrade, 105 or 205? I had heard of a lot of issues with the 20x players some time ago.

Thanks.
jeff1967 likes this.

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 12-29-2018 at 07:43 PM.
manoharshetty9 is offline  
post #41442 of 41487 Old 12-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,187
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5765 Post(s)
Liked: 8240
^ The 205 is better, but OPPO is no longer producing new players, so you'll have to pay a premium price for it in the 3rd party market.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #41443 of 41487 Old 01-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Member
 
kngelv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue and can help. MY set is a LG 65C7 OLED. I have a BDP-203 that I use for all of my 4K and regular Blu-ray Discs. I have tried a couple of regular DVD's and have not been too impressed with the picture quality. I decide to hook up my BDP-83 figuring that the Anchor Bay chip it has might be an improvement on the upscaling of the BDP-203. The problem I have is my picture is mostly pink along with some green.I've tried playing with the settings on both the tv and disc player but nothing helps. When connected to the internet the BDP-83 says its firmware is up to date.
Ideas? Thanks.

James
kngelv is offline  
post #41444 of 41487 Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 438
The pink or green thing usually means there is something wrong with the HDMI connection. Turning off the player and restarting it or switching to another input on the TV or AVR and then back often stops the problem. You should also check that your HDMI cable is properly seated at both ends. Simply unplug at both ends and reconnect. If none of this works, try another HDMI cable. If none of this works, contact Oppo. There may be a problem with your player.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #41445 of 41487 Old 01-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Member
 
kngelv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The pink or green thing usually means there is something wrong with the HDMI connection. Turning off the player and restarting it or switching to another input on the TV or AVR and then back often stops the problem. You should also check that your HDMI cable is properly seated at both ends. Simply unplug at both ends and reconnect. If none of this works, try another HDMI cable. If none of this works, contact Oppo. There may be a problem with your player.
Already emailed Oppo. Waiting on a reply. Definitely not the cables.

James
kngelv is offline  
post #41446 of 41487 Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,534
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngelv View Post
Already emailed Oppo. Waiting on a reply. Definitely not the cables.

James
This might be due to the HDCP 2.2 issue that the 83 can have with some hardware. It can basically barf on the HDCP handshake. Oppo should have a firmware for you to try that could fix is. Otherwise, be sure the 83 is set to explicit color space output, not "auto". Deep color off.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #41447 of 41487 Old 01-30-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 9,720
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngelv View Post
Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue and can help. MY set is a LG 65C7 OLED. I have a BDP-203 that I use for all of my 4K and regular Blu-ray Discs. I have tried a couple of regular DVD's and have not been too impressed with the picture quality. I decide to hook up my BDP-83 figuring that the Anchor Bay chip it has might be an improvement on the upscaling of the BDP-203. The problem I have is my picture is mostly pink along with some green.I've tried playing with the settings on both the tv and disc player but nothing helps. When connected to the internet the BDP-83 says its firmware is up to date.
Ideas? Thanks.
I had an issue when hooking an '83 to a newer 4K TV. I remember seeing the pink screen you mention -- check to make sure Deep Color on the Oppo is off (I think?).

As @rdgrimes mentioned, the updated firmware 1011 ver2 beta solved my issue, so hopefully Oppo will pass this along to you.

Last edited by DaverJ; 01-30-2019 at 04:16 PM.
DaverJ is offline  
post #41448 of 41487 Old 01-30-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
LCSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I had an issue when hooking an '83 to a newer 4K TV. I remember seeing the pink screen you mention -- check to make sure Deep Color on the Oppo is off (I think?).

As @rdgrimes mentioned, the updated firmware 1011 ver2 beta solved my issue, so hopefully Oppo will pass this along to you.

There is a link to that firmware on page 1381, in my post #41417 .

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4
LCSeminole is offline  
post #41449 of 41487 Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 PM
Member
 
kngelv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Ok. Received the firmware from Oppo and now everything is good. Using the BDP-83 in Source Direct mode definitely gives me a better picture with regular DVD’s than any configuration on the BDP-203.

James
DaverJ likes this.
kngelv is offline  
post #41450 of 41487 Old 02-03-2019, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
dman777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am thinking about selling my Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray player. I eventually am going to have to upgrade to 4k. I broke it out played it last night and it still rivals most blu ray players I have seen.

If I did sell it, are there blue-ray/4k players that play on that same quality? Are the new gen Oppos just as good? Or others?
dman777 is offline  
post #41451 of 41487 Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman777 View Post
I am thinking about selling my Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray player. I eventually am going to have to upgrade to 4k. I broke it out played it last night and it still rivals most blu ray players I have seen.

If I did sell it, are there blue-ray/4k players that play on that same quality? Are the new gen Oppos just as good? Or others?
A few things:
  1. Oppo is shutting down. It still supports (and will for a few years) existing products but won't be making new ones.
  2. Oppo is not selling any existing players any more.
  3. I don't think there's a bluray player out there that will compete with the 83 (I have one also)
  4. Check the usual places for what they are selling for now. It shows you that they are held in high respect.
  5. Since Oppo is not selling any players any more, the current players spiked in price at the usual sites, so you're looking at probably three times the listed price for a 203.

Depending on whether you still use DVD's and blurays, it may be better for you to buy an inexpensive UHD player and add it as a second player.

I have an 83, a 103D and a 203. The 83 is best at DVD upscaling, the 103D is best at bluray and the UHD is excellent at UHD, while being very good at blu and DVD. It is not as good as the 83 in DVD or the 103D at blu. If I had to choose one, the 203 would be it.

Otherwise, you'll get a good return from selling the 83, as long as you are fine with losing a good amount of functionality (which may not be important to you).
hernanu is online now  
post #41452 of 41487 Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
sremick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I don't think there's a bluray player out there that will compete with the 83 (I have one also)

I find it mind-boggling that 10+ years after the release of the 83, there are no comparable-but-lower-cost, nor superior players with chipsets for playing Blu-Rays.


Note: I no longer care about any of the other features of the 83: I've moved from DLNA to Plex, I don't care about analog audio, I don't care about playing other disc formats other than video DVDs. I don't care about 4K. But I do have a ton of DVD-only movies that I want to look good on the huge TV.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
sremick is offline  
post #41453 of 41487 Old 02-04-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post
I find it mind-boggling that 10+ years after the release of the 83, there are no comparable-but-lower-cost, nor superior players with chipsets for playing Blu-Rays.


Note: I no longer care about any of the other features of the 83: I've moved from DLNA to Plex, I don't care about analog audio, I don't care about playing other disc formats other than video DVDs. I don't care about 4K. But I do have a ton of DVD-only movies that I want to look good on the huge TV.
83 is still the best, but the 203 is not a slouch on upscaling DVD.

It also has a feature to upscale content to Dolby Vision. Have NO idea how it looks (might test it this weekend), but there it is. Oppo is still updating freeware, so that may be supported for a while.

If you can bear the prices, selling the 83 may make it more palatable. Check out the usual suspects for what the price may be both for an 83 to sell and a 203 to buy.
84lion likes this.
hernanu is online now  
post #41454 of 41487 Old 02-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
sremick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Check out the usual suspects for what the price may be both for an 83 to sell and a 203 to buy.

Yeah, sort of kicking myself back when I could get a 203 for under MSRP.I felt I couldn't justify it at the time.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
sremick is offline  
post #41455 of 41487 Old 02-04-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post
Yeah, sort of kicking myself back when I could get a 203 for under MSRP.I felt I couldn't justify it at the time.
Well, the 83's are selling at a good price. Use that to cut down to only an obscene outlay instead of a cataclysmic one.

I got mine at MSRP as soon as they let people know that they were stopping but still had inventory.
hernanu is online now  
post #41456 of 41487 Old 02-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
dman777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, I never knew about the 103D/203 for blu ray. I always thought the 83 was good at blu ray, I barely used it for the dvd's. Curious, is the 103D/203 a lot better at blu ray than the 83 is?
dman777 is offline  
post #41457 of 41487 Old 02-04-2019, 03:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,321
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked: 4336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman777 View Post
Wow, I never knew about the 103D/203 for blu ray. I always thought the 83 was good at blu ray, I barely used it for the dvd's. Curious, is the 103D/203 a lot better at blu ray than the 83 is?
I would say Blu-ray has been fairly consistent across all the models. The "D" models offered Darbee processing, which many people liked. It is a subtle effect when used properly.

-Bill
84lion, hernanu and Mike_WI like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #41458 of 41487 Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
ptlurking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hello All... need some help with my BDP-83.

It recently developed the "tray closing issue" so I sent it back to Oppo for repair.
I just received the unit back from Oppo with the tray repaired and latest firmware installed.

My problem is the player will not recognize the SACD layer on my Hybrid SACD/CD discs.
It only plays the CD layer.

In Playback setup I have the SACD Priority set to SACD Multichannel.
I tried multiple hybrid discs... all the same issue.

Note: SACD Only discs play as SACD just fine.

I sent an email to Oppo support earlier today but have not yet heard back from them.
Thought I would throw it out to the experts on this forum.

Has anyone run into this issue with their BDP-83?
Any thoughts?
ptlurking is offline  
post #41459 of 41487 Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,534
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlurking View Post
Hello All... need some help with my BDP-83.

It recently developed the "tray closing issue" so I sent it back to Oppo for repair.
I just received the unit back from Oppo with the tray repaired and latest firmware installed.

My problem is the player will not recognize the SACD layer on my Hybrid SACD/CD discs.
It only plays the CD layer.

In Playback setup I have the SACD Priority set to SACD Multichannel.
I tried multiple hybrid discs... all the same issue.

Note: SACD Only discs play as SACD just fine.

I sent an email to Oppo support earlier today but have not yet heard back from them.
Thought I would throw it out to the experts on this forum.

Has anyone run into this issue with their BDP-83?
Any thoughts?
Only thing that springs to mind here is to be sure you remove the disc from the player before changing that setting, then reboot the player and load the disc again. You could also pull the plug on the player to get a cold boot and see if that helps.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #41460 of 41487 Old 02-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
ptlurking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Only thing that springs to mind here is to be sure you remove the disc from the player before changing that setting, then reboot the player and load the disc again. You could also pull the plug on the player to get a cold boot and see if that helps.
Thanks... tried all those things to no avail.

FYI... I just received a reply from Oppo requesting I return the unit along with a couple of the
problematic discs so they can troubleshoot and repair.

Very impressed that they responded to my email so quickly.

Repacking it up again as we speak.
Thankfully I have a back-up player while the BDP-83 is away being repaired.
ptlurking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off