Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #571 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When you are looking at Picture Quality and Color and compare to other brands, do you have the Panasonic in Standard mode (the default) or Cinema?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carledwards View Post

I've had the opportunity to run the BD80 through its paces lately including a number of recent blu-ray titles and everything has been spot-on perfect. Recently released discs included "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Flawless performance. I'm particularly pleased with this player's sound and color rendering, too. I could swear that reds, in particular, are more vivid when compared to the BD30 and my Tosh XA2. I'm sure it's all in my mind, however. Probably an example of post-purchase justification! Still, this is a very good BD player, I think.

In all, a good Profile 2.0 upgrade from the BD30. And I was very happy with the 30!

BTW, I'm using a firmware-updated Yamaha 1800 (w/Sony sub and a combination of Michael Green and Yamaha speakers) and a Sony KDS55A2020. Everything via HDMI to the Receiver and on to the TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

You should at least contact Panasonic to report the problem first. Is there a specific Blu-ray title that you can reproduce the problem with? If you let me know specific titles and chapter or time marks into the movie where the problem is most obvious after turning the player on and off I can try to test this myself on our BD80 (assuming I have the title) to see if I see/hear anything similar. If not, then you may just have a bad unit that needs to be replaced (most likely scenario).

-CB

I got a replacement 80 unit and set it up today.
First had a extremely difficult time getting it to connect to my network.
Had to manually enter all the info, as the auto configuration would not work at all.
Was finally able to connect, and successfully updated my firmware to the latest version.
Configured all the audio and video settings and put in my first test blu-ray movie, "Hellboy 2".
The movie play backed full 7.1 DTS-HD MSTR audio with an extremely aggressive soundtrack.
I was feeling pretty jazzed until I turned the unit off and powered it back on again.
Same frackin problem!!
The back surrounds were outputting stereo again, and I was not getting any test tones from my back surrounds using the speaker setup menu.
ARRGGG!
I was really feeling like throwing in the towel at this point.
I spent I don't know how much time on the phone to Panasonic support, as they said they turned the problem over to there engineers.
This didn't give me much hope as most of the time this gets canned, unless there are multiple cases of the same problem.
I decided to give it one last try, and completely reset the player.
(press power+pause+open, all at the same time on the front panel)
Reset the audio and video, but this time did some changes and removed some features.
Network cable disconnected, memory card removed and quick start disabled.
Previous setting remained the same: HDMI audio off, DTS-HD MSTR & Dolby True-HD output set to PCM, secondary audio off, 7.1 audio selected.
Played "Hellboy 2" again, powered the player off and tried it again.

This time it worked!!!

Have played "The Spirit", "Celine Dion", & "Spiderman 3", blu-rays successfully without having to reset the 7.1 audio again.
Right now I don't know which of these changes solved the problem, as it would require a process of elimination.
Since I like to tweak settings, I will eventually try to figure it out.
For now, I am HAPPY the audio is outputting correctly.

For people sitting on the fence between the Panasonic 80 and the Sony 550, the audio on the Panasonic, using the 7.1 analog connection, produces a MUCH MORE DYNAMIC POWERFUL SOUND field than the Sony 550 at the same settings and volume.
Picture on the Panasonic IMO, has slightly more pop than the Sony, but may not be a concernable difference to most people.

BOTTOM LINE : Overall best performance in picture and audio quality, having tested both of these units side by side, goes to the PANASONIC 80.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K B1600 Height speakers - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs - M&K SS-500 Dipole side surround speakers - M&K SW-85 surround back speakers
Denon AVR 4810CI - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8 My Partial SACD Collection
post #573 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

I got a replacement 80 unit and set it up today.
First had a extremely difficult time getting it to connect to my network.
Had to manually enter all the info, as the auto configuration would not work at all.
Was finally able to connect, and successfully updated my firmware to the latest version.
Configured all the audio and video settings and put in my first test blu-ray movie, Hellboy 2.
The movie play backed full 7.1 DTS-HD MSTR audio with an extremely dynamic powerful sound field.
I was feeling pretty jazzed until I turned the unit off and powered it back on again.
Same frackin problem!!
The back surrounds were outputting stereo again, and I was not getting any test tones from my back surrounds using the speaker setup menu.
ARRGGG!
I was really feeling like throwing in the towel at this point.
I spent I don't know how much time on the phone to Panasonic support, as they said they turned the problem over to there engineers.
This didn't give me much hope as most of the time this gets canned, unless there are multiple cases of the same problem.
I decided to give it one last try, and completely reset the player.
(press power+pause+open, all at the same time on the front panel)
Reset the audio and video, but this time did some changes and removed some features.
Network cable disconnected, memory card removed and quick start disabled.
Previous setting remained the same: HDMI audio off, DTS-HD MSTR & Dolby True-HD output set to PCM, secondary audio off, 7.1 audio selected.
Played "Hellboy 2" again, powered the player off and tried it again.

This time it worked!!!

Have played "The Spirit", Celine Dion, & Spiderman 3, blu-rays successfully without having to reset the 7.1 audio again.
Right now I don't know which of these changes solved the problem, as it would require a process of elimination.
Since I like to tweak settings, I will eventually try to figure it out.
For now, I am HAPPY the audio is outputting correctly.

For people sitting on the fence between the Panasonic 80 and the Sony 550, the audio on the Panasonic, using the 7.1 analog connection, produces a much more dynamic powerful sound field than the Sony 550 at the same settings and volume.
Picture on the Panasonic IMO, has slightly more pop than the Sony, but may not be a concernable difference to most people.

BOTTOM LINE : Overall best performance in picture and audio quality having tested both of these units side by side, goes to the PANASONIC 80.

Glad you were able to get it working but weird that you had to reset the player.

I have one or two of those titles. I'll try a couple and see if I can get it to fail. The behavior sounds like it is setting itself back from 7.1-ch to the default 2+5.1-ch analog outputs but with HDMI audio off and BD-Secondary Audio off, there's really no explanation for that behavior.

Quick Start is a new feature on the BD80 so if I were a betting man, I'd bet it's related to that. Try plugging the SD card and network cable back in and see if it still works. If I can remain conscious for a few more hours, I'll try some additional tests tonight.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
My Take.. My very first official Blu ray player was the Panny BD10. Since then I can honestly say I have had nearly every single Panasonic Blu ray player released. As other brands they seem to get smaller and smaller. I have tested the BD60 on a 1080p plasma, 720p LCD and in my theater with a RS20. All displays are shown in the pics below. So how does it do?

Picture Q wise... I will say the BD60 can get the job done and then some with any display. I was actually more impressed with how well it did with our 720p display (second pic) in our spare bedroom. When you hit the display button you have many different picture settings. Just like before with all the previously release Panny models. There is Cinema, Fine, Soft and Normal. Plus there is a User mode which allows you to adjust Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, Gamma, 3D NR and Integrated NR. If you spend the right amount of time tweaking you can really get great results on any display. I spent a lot of time using the User (after tweaking) and also going back and forth between Normal and Cinema. Everyone's results will vary depending on their display and their tastes.

So how does it stack up against the others? I will come right out and say the Panasonic DMP-BD60 is easily the current King for the $299 and under crowd. If you are still contemplating going or at the very least just trying Blu then there has never been a better player in this price range. It is very easy to use, loads at a decent speed and has a bunch of different (viera cast, youtube) features. I was able to connect it to the internet using my Linksys Wireless Ethernet Adapter in seconds. Also if you are a SD card user then you are covered!

Back to comparing... I put it against the SonyS350, Samsung 1500, PS3 and of course the Oppo. At 1080p/24 they were all to close to call. Depending on your display you might get a slightly better visual experience setting the Oppo to output 36 bit upconverted color. Of course that is splitting hairs. Still though, considering it will cost about twice as much, the BD60 is one heck of a deal! The BD60 did put out a better overall image than the others I listed which is why I put it at the top in this price range.

As for SD dvds... I am pleased to report the BD60 does an adequate job. I would say if you are not using a huge display then you should be fine. Especially using some of the nice picture adjustments it has. It does an accurate image which looks pretty sharp.

The remote... As reported here already there is not a subtitle button. I guess if you are not watching a lot of region free discs then this probably won't matter. Other than that it has a very nice lay out. Buttons are easy to find in the dark. It was also very nice to use in conjunction with the panny plasma and panny LCD.

One other side note... I have always like the Panasonic Start Up screen the best. I think it represents the Blu ray logo perfectly. Not to mention the nice shade of blue as well...

So how does it do such an excellent job at just $299 msrp? I think it is the 4:4:4 PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus and their P4HD (Pixel Precision Progressive Processing for HD) which processes more than 15 billion pixels per second! Say that 5 times fast! Whatever it is the BD60 can hold its own with any player under $500 and I would even say with most above as well. And in case you are wondering why I haven't mentioned sound... I Bitstreamed (with excellent results) as well as sent the HDMI audio straight into my Plasma and LCD.

In conclusion... Again if you are still on the fence there has never been a more affordable, feature friendly introductory unit for you, than the BD60. It puts out an excellent image which has terrific color and nice sharp edges. If this player does not intrigue you enough to try Blu then no others will... Get one!
LL
LL
LL
LL

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
post #575 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's definitely a case of it resetting it's self back to the default 2+5.1-ch analog outputs.
Why is the big question.
This was happening every time I would power the unit off and then back on.
As soon as the unit was powered back on, there was NO 7.1 surround back output, only stereo.
It sounded like the left & right front speakers where also coming from the back surrounds.
Even though it still was on the 7.1 setting, you could then run a speaker test tone and would only get tones from L front, center, R front, R surround, & L surround.
No tones from either surround back speakers (L&R)
What setting was causing this, I will have to find out.
Thanks boylan13 for your reply's and offer to help.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K B1600 Height speakers - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs - M&K SS-500 Dipole side surround speakers - M&K SW-85 surround back speakers
Denon AVR 4810CI - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8 My Partial SACD Collection
post #576 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Very nice! Any comments yet on pq of unconverted dvd?

PS Question: if you connect everything via HDMI, can you say why you got the 80 rather than the 60?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, upconversion of SD DVDs is on a par with the best I've seen (i.e. Oppo 983 and Tosh XA2).

I bought the 80 over the 60 primarily because of the audio upgrade and more substantial feet for isolation of the player.
post #577 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

When you are looking at Picture Quality and Color and compare to other brands, do you have the Panasonic in Standard mode (the default) or Cinema?

Standard/default mode.
post #578 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, upconversion of SD DVDs is on a par with the best I've seen (i.e. Oppo 983 and Tosh XA2).

I bought the 80 over the 60 primarily because of the audio upgrade and more substantial feet for isolation of the player.

So you rate the dvd upconversion of the Panny's on a par with the Oppo 983? This is the first report I've heard rating it this highly; most say that it's a cut below. I hope you're right!

Re the 'audio upgrade' of the 80 over the 60, I presume this means your using analog audio, right? They would presumably be the same via HDMI.
post #579 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM

To those that have the BD60 and a PS3...I was currently using a PS3 as my main blu-ray player....so I ask, would there be a considerable improvement in picture quality for my Sharp DT510 720P projector or my Samsung A650? The reason I ask is that my POS PS3 lens crapped out in only 18 months of once a week use and I am looking at the BD60 as my new player.

thanks guys
post #580 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

It's definitely a case of it resetting it's self back to the default 2+5.1-ch analog outputs.
Why is the big question.
This was happening every time I would power the unit off and then back on.
As soon as the unit was powered back on, there was NO 7.1 surround back output, only stereo.
It sounded like the left & right front speakers where also coming from the back surrounds.
Even though it still was on the 7.1 setting, you could then run a speaker test tone and would only get tones from L front, center, R front, R surround, & L surround.
No tones from either surround back speakers (L&R)
What setting was causing this, I will have to find out.
Thanks boylan13 for your reply's and offer to help.

Well the good news is you're not crazy. Well, at least not about this specific point. I reproduced your problem in about 5 minutes once I know what to look/listen for and it is specific to Quick Start mode.

If you are using the Quick Start Mode (which, of course, is not the default, but it makes initial start-up a whole lot quicker), and you are using the full 7.1 channel *ANALOG* outputs, and you have set everything correctly (BD-Secondary audio Off, and 7.1-ch selected in the analog audio menu), then the 7.1-channel output reverts to 2-ch+5.1-ch output after a power cycle, but the menu still shows 7.1 selected as the analog audio output.

The workaround is to turn Quick Start mode OFF and then the player maintains its 7.1-ch output as expected.

It was easy to hear with Celine Dion because it's a 5.1-ch Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. When it's working properly you should get *nothing* out of the rear channel speakers. When it's not working properly you hear Celine singing out of the rear speakers (and pretty much everything else, too since the rear channels effectively become a 2-ch mixed down version of the full 5.1 mix).

I will shoot an e-mail to my Panasonic contact. Hopefully it's something they can fix in the firmware.

BTW, you can safely plug your network cable and SD card back in.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #581 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

My Take.. ...
As for SD dvds... I am pleased to report the BD60 does an adequate job. I would say if you are not using a huge display then you should be fine. Especially using some of the nice picture adjustments it has. It does an accurate image which looks pretty sharp. ....

Joe, don't want to press you too hard, but I do value your evaluation, and 'does an adequate job' is rather faint praise. I interpret this to mean that on your RS20--which presumably has a 'huge' screen--the BD60 is noticeable less good than the Oppo; is that correct? This is the one item that gives me pause--BD performance, audio via HDMI, reliability, convenience are all clearly excellent--but it seems that on a large screen, upconverted dvd's via the BD60 are recognizably inferior to the best. Again, am I interpreting your comments correctly?
post #582 of 8314 Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Well the good news is you're not crazy. Well, at least not about this specific point. I reproduced your problem in about 5 minutes once I know what to look/listen for and it is specific to Quick Start mode.

If you are using the Quick Start Mode (which, of course, is not the default, but it makes initial start-up a whole lot quicker), and you are using the full 7.1 channel *ANALOG* outputs, and you have set everything correctly (BD-Secondary audio Off, and 7.1-ch selected in the analog audio menu), then the 7.1-channel output reverts to 2-ch+5.1-ch output after a power cycle, but the manu still shows 7.1 selected as the analog audio output.

The workaround is to turn Quick Start mode OFF and then the player maintains its 7.1-ch output as expected.

It was easy to hear with Celine Dion because it's a 5.1-ch Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. When it's working properly you should get *nothing* out of the rear channel speakers. When it's not working properly you hear Celine singing out of the rear speakers (and pretty much everything else, too since the rear channels effectively become a 2-ch mixed down version of the full 5.1 mix).

I will shoot an e-mail to my Panasonic contact. Hopefully it's something they can fix in the firmware.

BTW, you can safely plug your network cable and SD card back in.

-CB

Thanks boylan13, very much for checking this out.

When something like this happens, you always wonder if it's just an isolated incident, or is it something bigger?
Glad you were able to replicate the problem, as it is pretty obvious when the audio setting changes.
Hopefully Panasonic can find a fix for this, as I really liked the quick start feature.
I will keep the quick start disabled for now, reconnect my network cable and put the SD card back in.

Much appreciated for all your help and assistance in finding the audio culprit.

post #583 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:

Joe, don't want to press you too hard, but I do value your evaluation, and 'does an adequate job' is rather faint praise. I interpret this to mean that on your RS20--which presumably has a 'huge' screen--the BD60 is noticeable less good than the Oppo; is that correct? This is the one item that gives me pause--BD performance, audio via HDMI, reliability, convenience are all clearly excellent--but it seems that on a large screen, upconverted dvd's via the BD60 are recognizably inferior to the best. Again, am I interpreting your comments correctly?

You can press all you want. I will say I didn't spend as much time on SD dvd as I did on Blu ray. I will spend some more time today evaluating it more closely. From what I did see though it is very close to the Oppo which I rank just below the 09FD with SD dvd upconversion at 1080p/60 and 480p. That is not a bad place by any means to be. And with most size RPTVs and or plasmas and LCDs you will be hard pressed to tell the difference which is a big compliment. On my theater screen is where I get the absolute best comparison. Like I mentioned, I will dedidcate this afternoon to SD dvd performance and report back.

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
post #584 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Hi,

Yesterday I bought this unit, after having three failed attemps with the samsung bdp3600.. I was pleasently surprise at its performance.. A year ago I had the BD30K and I knew kind of what to expect... The colors are really nice and I really like how you can tweak the player to match your display... My only sort of complaint is noise, when I set it to quick start the noise is relatively high, not much as the xbox360 but is there... When I set it to off, is a little bit more noisier than the pioneer 51fd...
In terms of speed is slower than the 3600, but it seems to be by more more reliable...

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #585 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:

So you rate the dvd upconversion of the Panny's on a par with the Oppo 983? This is the first report I've heard rating it this highly; most say that it's a cut below. I hope you're right!

Re the 'audio upgrade' of the 80 over the 60, I presume this means your using analog audio, right? They would presumably be the same via HDMI.

Again, if you look at what I wrote you'll see that I still think the Oppo 983 is a bit better. But the 80 is definitely close and any difference is certainly subtle.

No, I'm using HDMI for audio. The 80 claims improved audio over the 60 even when connected via HDMI.
post #586 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

It's a requirement because there's no internal memory but you can buy a 4GB card for around $10 at B&M stores or online.
According to the manual a SD card at least 2GB is required.

I've seen both a 1 GB, and as quoted here, a 2 GB SD card required for the DMP-BD60. What is the correct size requirement? Or is there a minimum and a maximum size allowed? If videos can be played back from the SD card, it seems that an 8 GB card would be about the right size to use.
post #587 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

The 80 claims improved audio over the 60 even when connected via HDMI.

What kind of claim is being made? I hadn't seen that and I don't understand how it could be.
post #588 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks, Joerod and carledwards, for the comments. For me, too, BD is certainly more imp than dvd, but I never had any doubts about the quality of BD; and like most, I do have a number of dvd's that I still enjoy and would like to get the most out of them. If the Oppo were to be SIGNIFICANTLY better (on my 126" HP screen, with an RS20), then I would be willing to pony up, but of course don't want to throw $ away needlessly.
post #589 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Joerod - I have the first Panny (BD-10) and enjoy it very much. Are the new Panny's worth the expense of upgrading? I am using the 7.1 analog and have a 1080p Mits HC6000 projector. We watch a movie about once a week (our Saturday night date).

Sony XBR-75X850C - Living Room
Samsung UN60J6300AFXZA - Bedroom
post #590 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

What kind of claim is being made? I hadn't seen that and I don't understand how it could be.

Obviously, it could be marketing hype but the description on the Panasonic site for the 80 is:

Built-in Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTSTM-HD*2 Decoder
7.1ch Analog Output
High Clarity Sound
Pure Audio Components
96kHz Surround Re-master for All Formats* (BD, DVD, CD, MP3 and DivX*3)
*CD sampling is done at 88.2 kHz.
DivX data can be re-mastered both on DVD and CD whereas MP3 data only CD.
Night Surround Mode
Advanced Surround (V.S.S.) Creates a Surround Effect for BD and DVD from Only Two Speakers (2 Modes)
Dialog Enhancer
Dynamic Range Compression

For the 60, they list:

Built-in Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTSTM-HD*2 Decoder
192kHz/24bit Audio D/A Converter
96kHz Surround Re-master for All Formats* (BD, DVD, CD and MP3 )

You can decide for yourself if "pure audio components" means that it's different than the 60 or, indeed, if it means anything at all. The "High Clarity Sound" feature is basically the ability to turn off the analog outputs.
post #591 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks, Joerod and carledwards, for the comments. For me, too, BD is certainly more imp than dvd, but I never had any doubts about the quality of BD; and like most, I do have a number of dvd's that I still enjoy and would like to get the most out of them. If the Oppo were to be SIGNIFICANTLY better (on my 126" HP screen, with an RS20), then I would be willing to pony up, but of course don't want to throw $ away needlessly.

Hey millerwill,

On a big screen the Panny 60 is not a good as my Toshiba HD-XA2.

I read how good the upscaling was so I purchased one and watched a bit of Gladiator on SD DVD and thought "this loooks pretty good". I then watched the same part of the movie on the XA2 and could definatly see less artifacts.
There was some ringing on the 60 that wasn't there on the XA2. The pic was just a bit clearer.
For a tv(not Projector) I doubt you'd see much of a difference but in my theater (103" screen) I kept the XA(was gonna sell it if the 60 was close to as good)

Scott
post #592 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Hey millerwill,

On a big screen the Panny 60 is not a good as my Toshiba HD-XA2.

I read how good the upscaling was so I purchased one and watched a bit of Gladiator on SD DVD and thought "this loooks pretty good". I then watched the same part of the movie on the XA2 and could definatly see less artifacts.
There was some ringing on the 60 that wasn't there on the XA2. The pic was just a bit clearer.
For a tv(not Projector) I doubt you'd see much of a difference but in my theater (103" screen) I kept the XA(was gonna sell it if the 60 was close to as good)

Scott

Thanks much for the report. It sounds much like I am suspecting, but one hears so many different opinions. I'm quite sure there is no diff on tv's of essentially any size, but on a big screen with a pj, ... .

I have a Sammy 1200, which has the same upconverting chip (Reon) as the Tosh XA2, so will probably get a BD60 from BB or Costco and try it out to see how discriminating my (68 yr old) eyes are. If I see any imp diff, then I will go with the Oppo; otherwise, the BD60.
post #593 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks much for the report. It sounds much like I am suspecting, but one hears so many different opinions. I'm quite sure there is no diff on tv's of essentially any size, but on a big screen with a pj, ... .

I have a Sammy 1200, which has the same upconverting chip (Reon) as the Tosh XA2, so will probably get a BD60 from BB or Costco and try it out to see how discriminating my (68 yr old) eyes are. If I see any imp diff, then I will go with the Oppo; otherwise, the BD60.

I think yours is a good plan. I can tell you that I owned a Samsung 1400 and the BD80 is a significantly better upconverter in my system. I also find the BD80 to be noticeably better at upconverting SD DVDs when compared to my BD30.

Finally, I agree with scottyb regarding the Tosh XA2. I would only add that it's difficult to tell the difference between it and the Oppo 983. They're both at the top of the quality chain. But my point earlier was that the BD80 is close enough that I wouldn't feel deprived if that's all I had (and I do still own and use the Tosh and Oppo).
post #594 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Millerwill,

If you want to play dvds with the BD60, why don't you try setting the output to 480p and let the Reon chip in the JVC do the upscaling.. In my case I have the oppo 980 set to ouput 480i and let RS20 do the upscaling...

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #595 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Chris,

Is the Quick Start "bug" on the Panasonic limited to analog audio out? Is there a similar issue with high resolution audio decoded in the player and outputed over HDMI?

Thanks!
post #596 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Millerwill,

If you want to play dvds with the BD60, why don't you try setting the output to 480p and let the Reon chip in the JVC do the upscaling.. In my case I have the oppo 980 set to ouput 480i and let RS20 do the upscaling...

The problem with that approach is that you may not gettting any surround sound from HDMI. Audio bandwidth on HDMI is allocated as a certain percentage on total video bandwidth (actually audio only transimits during video blank period). Typically, you need to set to 720p or higher for 5.1 LPCM. Not sure what is the requirement for plain DD or DTS.
post #597 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Millerwill,

Certainly sounds like a good idea to try. Can the BD60 send out 480i over HDMI?
post #598 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
Hi all im expericing problems with my BD30 player with Bedtime stories and Twilight both which would not load at all. im just wondering if any of the 80 owners are expericing any problems at all? reason being im happy to upgrade.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #599 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yea its msrp at both BBs by me

Sight and Sound
post #600 of 8314 Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Yesterday I bought this unit, after having three failed attemps with the samsung bdp3600.. I was pleasently surprise at its performance.. A year ago I had the BD30K and I knew kind of what to expect... The colors are really nice and I really like how you can tweak the player to match your display... My only sort of complaint is noise, when I set it to quick start the noise is relatively high, not much as the xbox360 but is there... When I set it to off, is a little bit more noisier than the pioneer 51fd...
In terms of speed is slower than the 3600, but it seems to be by more more reliable...

What kind of "noise" are you speaking of? Mechanical noise? A noisy picture?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , dolby atmos , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , panasonic dmp-bd60

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page