Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #3631 of 3704 Old 03-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandLovingIt View Post
Thank you LNEWoLF, will give it a try.

Your welcome, good luck..........
RetiredandLovingIt likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3704 Old 03-27-2018, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Harmony vs Inteset Remotes

I have both a Harmony One and Inteset 422 remotes. The Inteset is a bargain (~ $28) and has some nice features, especially if one just wants to control up to four components and prefers hardware buttons rather than software buttons. I certainly found the Inteset faster and easier to program even compared to using the Logitech programming software for Harmony remotes. See https://intesettech.com/
post #3633 of 3704 Old 04-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I popped my first cherry today. Felt so good!

I recently purchased 4 additional Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changers on EBay. I've only got around 100 slots left in my 6th Blu-ray changer so I needed room for expansion. I also own 6 Sony DVP-CX985V DVD changers which are nearly filled to capacity and wanted to migrate all the DVD's I haven't purchased on Blu-ray yet over to Blu-ray changers, just under 1,200 discs. The DVD's I've already upgraded to Blu-ray I plan to sell, also just under 1,200 discs.

I paid an average of $700 each for the 4 additional Blu-ray changers. Considering how cheap the buyers were willing to let them go for I was expecting potential issues, irrespective of the fact no potential issues were disclosed. Sure enough, one of them arrived with the carousel out of alignment. Couldn't play discs as a result. Found that the carousel was off by one per the given slot I selected with the front knob. I was able to fix that pretty easily by just reaching in through the front door to the left and adjusting the lower sensor bracket which wasn't screwed down tight. Another changer arrived with a DVD left in it. When I powered the changer one it failed to load the disc displaying the infamous invalid disc error. Tested a number of Blu-ray's in the changer at that point encountering no issues. Tested a number of Blu-ray's in the other 3 changers as well. No issues. Thought I was all in the clear. Sadly that was not the case which I just realized yesterday after spending several days migrating DVD's over to 3 of the changers.

Last weekend I started the process of migrating the DVD's I didn't own on Blu-ray yet over to the Blu-ray changers. This involved updating my DVD database in DVD Profiler, then moving the DVD's over in batches. I already had tags in DVD Profiler to designate which DVD's I hadn't upgraded to Blu-ray yet and which DVD's still haven't seen a Blu-ray release. As such, I created separate categories for each. Sorting each group alphabetically I then proceeded one group at a time moving batches of DVD's over from my DVD changers to the given Blu-ray changer, renumbering the Collection ID's in DVD Profiler as I went along as I use the Collection ID to determine the changer and slot number a given disc resides in.

So I finished all that up a couple days ago. Unfortunately I found that 2 of the Blu-ray changers would fail to read pressed DVD's quite a bit. After extensive testing I then realized that the changers wouldn't read DVD+R's at all! I could tell right away when the given changer was about to fail to load a disc as you could hear that the disc wasn't being accessed, wasn't spinning. Of course the error messages "can not operate this disc" or "invalid disc" were soon to follow. Thankfully all the changers were able to read and play Blu-ray's without fail. I really had my heart set on using 3 of the additional Blu-ray changers for the DVD's I don't own on Blu-ray yet though. Was very disappointed to say the least. As for DVD+R's, I own a whole mess of DVD's that are flippers, Side A containing the Feature Presentation, Side B containing the Bonus Materials, Side A containing Part 1, Side B containing Part 2 and so forth. When originally purchasing my Sony DVD changers I ripped all my Side B's to DVD+R as to avoid having to eject Side A, then flipping it over in order to watch what's on Side B. Sort of defeats the purpose of using a changer when you're having to flip discs over. :-P

That being said, several years ago I purchased 8 Sony KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pickups. I purchased them just to have on hand in the event I needed to swap out one of the pickups in the original 6 Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changers I own. Never had a need to use one of them until now. I had purchased them from a seller on EBay. Had yet to even open the package! Thankfully when opening the package all 8 pickups were present and accounted for. So to make a long story story, I popped my first cherry today. I hadn't as much as taken the top lid off one of these Sony Blu-ray changers before. Took my lunch hour today and replaced the pickup in the worst of the Blu-ray changers I just purchased. Was so easy a caveman could do it! More importantly, I'm happy to report that the changer has no problem reading DVD's now, whether pressed or DVD+R. Spent the last 3 hours off and on selecting discs to play. Not a single disc has failed to play. Gotta love it!

I'll mention as well, I plan to replace the pickup in another one of these Blu-ray changers over the weekend. Since I'll have more time I'll take it nice and slow documenting the steps involved from start to finish taking pictures as I go along. I'll then work up a nice post for anyone that might find it useful. Until then, be well my friends. :-)
markrubin and cargen like this.

Last edited by Low Profile; 04-12-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 3704 Old 04-12-2018, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
I recently purchased 4 additional Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changers on EBay. I've only got around 100 slots left in my 6th Blu-ray changer so I needed room for expansion. I also own 6 Sony DVP-CX985V DVD changers which are nearly filled to capacity and wanted to migrate all the DVD's I haven't purchased on Blu-ray yet over to Blu-ray changers, just under 1,200 discs. The DVD's I've already upgraded to Blu-ray I plan to sell, also just under 1,200 discs.

I paid an average of $700 each for the 4 additional Blu-ray changers. Considering how cheap the buyers were willing to let them go for I was expecting potential issues, irrespective of the fact no potential issues were disclosed. Sure enough, one of them arrived with the carousel out of alignment. Couldn't play discs as a result. Found that the carousel was off by one per the given slot I selected with the front knob. I was able to fix that pretty easily by just reaching in through the front door to the left and adjusting the lower sensor bracket which wasn't screwed down tight. Another changer arrived with a DVD left in it. When I powered the changer one it failed to load the disc displaying the infamous invalid disc error. Tested a number of Blu-ray's in the changer at that point encountering no issues. Tested a number of Blu-ray's in the other 3 changers as well. No issues. Thought I was all in the clear. Sadly that was not the case which I just realized yesterday after spending several days migrating DVD's over to 3 of the changers.

Last weekend I started the process of migrating the DVD's I didn't own on Blu-ray yet over to the Blu-ray changers. This involved updating my DVD database in DVD Profiler, then moving the DVD's over in batches. I already had tags in DVD Profiler to designate which DVD's I hadn't upgraded to Blu-ray yet and which DVD's still haven't seen a Blu-ray release. As such, I created separate categories for each. Sorting each group alphabetically I then proceeded one group at a time moving batches of DVD's over from my DVD changers to the given Blu-ray changer, renumbering the Collection ID's in DVD Profiler as I went along as I use the Collection ID to determine the changer and slot number a given disc resides in.

So I finished all that up a couple days ago. Unfortunately I found that 2 of the Blu-ray changers would fail to read pressed DVD's quite a bit. After extensive testing I then realized that the changers wouldn't read DVD+R's at all! I could tell right away when the given changer was about to fail to load a disc as you could hear that the disc wasn't being accessed, wasn't spinning. Of course the error messages "can not operate this disc" or "invalid disc" were soon to follow. Thankfully all the changers were able to read and play Blu-ray's without fail. I really had my heart set on using 3 of the additional Blu-ray changers for the DVD's I don't own on Blu-ray yet though. Was very disappointed to say the least. As for DVD+R's, I own a whole mess of DVD's that are flippers, Side A containing the Feature Presentation, Side B containing the Bonus Materials, Side A containing Part 1, Side B containing Part 2 and so forth. When originally purchasing my Sony DVD changers I ripped all my Side B's to DVD+R as to avoid having to eject Side A, then flipping it over in order to watch what's on Side B. Sort of defeats the purpose of using a changer when you're having to flip discs over. :-P

That being said, several years ago I purchased 8 Sony KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pickups. I purchased them just to have on hand in the event I needed to swap out one of the pickups in the original 6 Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changers I own. Never had a need to use one of them until now. I had purchased them from a seller on EBay. Had yet to even open the package! Thankfully when opening the package all 8 pickups were present and accounted for. So to make a long story story, I popped my first cherry today. I hadn't as much as taken the top lid off one of these Sony Blu-ray changers before. Took my lunch hour today and replaced the pickup in the worst of the Blu-ray changers I just purchased. Was so easy a caveman could do it! More importantly, I'm happy to report that the changer has no problem reading DVD's now, whether pressed or DVD+R. Spent the last 3 hours off and on selecting discs to play. Not a single disc has failed to play. Gotta love it!

I'll mention as well, I plan to replace the pickup in another one of these Blu-ray changers over the weekend. Since I'll have more time I'll take it nice and slow documenting the steps involved from start to finish taking pictures as I go along. I'll then work up a nice post for anyone that might find it useful. Until then, be well my friends. :-)
Thanks for the write-up. I will be interested in seeing your steps in replacing the laser pickup. I have replaced the pickups in both of my 7000s and didn’t find it to be particularly easy. Your technical expertise is obviously much greater than mine . The first I had to replace the laser pickup into the carrier assy. The second came with the carrier assy which made things much easier. Anyway, both players are now working fine.
post #3635 of 3704 Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erg0010 View Post
Thanks for the write-up. I will be interested in seeing your steps in replacing the laser pickup. I have replaced the pickups in both of my 7000s and didn’t find it to be particularly easy. Your technical expertise is obviously much greater than mine . The first I had to replace the laser pickup into the carrier assy. The second came with the carrier assy which made things much easier. Anyway, both players are now working fine.
You're welcome. I actually decided this evening to replace the laser pickup in the other changer that was having trouble playing DVD's. It plays anything I throw at it now. Love it! Took a ton of pictures during the process of swapping out the laser pickup, so I'll start working up my post during work tomorrow. Well, later today. Is it really Friday already? Dang. Who needs sleep.

Regarding the carrier assy, with the other changer I removed the carrier assy and the part behind it first prior to replacing the laser pickup. Much easier to remove both as there are ribbon cables going between the two. Once removed I laid them out, then replacing the laser pickup. Didn't remove either part this time. Have complete confidence in my trusty magnetic screwdriver. Left the carrier assy in place. Removed the 4 small brackets. Did the top ones first. I then lifted the carrier assy up just enough to get a clean line on the bottom two brackets. Didn't want to strip the screws. Once removing the bottom two brackets it was a simple matter of lifting the left side of the top rod out of the notch it rests in, then sliding it all the way out. Once the top rod is removed the laser pickup comes right off. It's just resting there at that point. In any event, I'll get started on my post tomorrow. Time to get 5 hours of z's before I have to get up for work.
cargen likes this.

Last edited by Low Profile; 04-13-2018 at 05:15 AM.
post #3636 of 3704 Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
As for DVD+R's, I own a whole mess of DVD's that are flippers, Side A containing the Feature Presentation, Side B containing the Bonus Materials, Side A containing Part 1, Side B containing Part 2 and so forth. When originally purchasing my Sony DVD changers I ripped all my Side B's to DVD+R as to avoid having to eject Side A, then flipping it over in order to watch what's on Side B. Sort of defeats the purpose of using a changer when you're having to flip discs over. :-P
I have the older 300 disc version (I believe it's the 855) that will flip the disc for you. Just push the button on the remote and it will flip to side B without any fuss. I also have the 985 (non-HDMI). I had 3 of the 995 (HDMI model), but sold them after I put all my media on my server.

These two are just sitting in my closet collecting dust.
post #3637 of 3704 Old 04-13-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post
I have the older 300 disc version (I believe it's the 855) that will flip the disc for you. Just push the button on the remote and it will flip to side B without any fuss.
Nice! I want to say Pioneer had a DVD changer that would play the flip side also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post
I also have the 985 (non-HDMI). I had 3 of the 995 (HDMI model), but sold them after I put all my media on my server. These two are just sitting in my closet collecting dust.
Yeah, my 985's are going to be collecting dust now as well. Doubt I'll have much use for them since migrating all of the DVD's I don't yet own on Blu-ray over to the Blu-ray changers. Three of my 985's are empty now. The other three are filled to capacity with the DVD's I also own on Blu-ray. Thinking about setting my parents up with those and selling the 3 empties.
post #3638 of 3704 Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 PM

Sony KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pick-up Replacement (Post 1 of 3)

I recently purchased 4 used Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changers. A couple of them needed the laser lens optical pick-up replaced. As I was performing the replacement for the second of the changers I decided to take pictures as I went along, then outling the steps for anyone interested. See below. (Preview images sized to 640x480. Full size images sized to 1600x1200.)

Step 1: Remove the case (CASE).

Remove the 2 screws on the top.

Remove the 5 screws on each side.

Remove the 3 screws across the top on the back. The case can just be lifted off at that point.

Step 2: Remove the drive cage cover (CDM_T block).

Remove the 9 screws securing the drive cage cover. There are 3 on the left, back, and right sides.

Step 3: Prepare the back panel (BACK PANEL BLOCK) and chassis (CHASSIS-M BLOCK) to be moved out of the way.

Remove the 21 screws securing the back panel. There's an arrow pointing to each one.

Before the back panel can be moved out of the way we need to create slack in the red and black cable running from the fan on the back panel to the front most board on the chassis.

A number of other cables are being fished up through the same opening. Each of those cables will need to be disconnected and unsecured as well.

A closer look at the cables being fished up through the opening. We'll eventually be unsecuring the chasis lifting it up and out of the way of the drive cage.

Note the cable management. Care must be taken when untwisting the given wire as to prevent the solder point from breaking. I'd recommend holding the given wire just above the solder point with one hand. While keeping that portion of the wire in a fixed position use your other hand to untwist the wire per any cables that need to be unsecured.

The connectors with the grey wires on the left and right will need to be disconnected and unsecured as well in addition to the black and blue ground wires. The connector to the left runs to the front panel. The smaller one to the right runs down to the center of the carousel and is used for the blue LED that shines through the front door.

The ribbon cable running from the left side of the front panel should also be disconnected and unsecured.

These red and white cables are fished down an opening and connected to a board on top of the drive cage. The red cable should be disconnected from the board on the chassis, both cables being unsecured and fished a few inches towards the drive cage.

The red and white cables shown connected to the board on top of the drive cage.

Now the fun begins. Time to disconnect the various cables creating the required slack per the openings on the left and right sides prior to moving the back panel and chassis out of the way of the drive cage.

Step 4: Move the back panel (BACK PANEL BLOCK) out of the way.

With the required slack in the fan cable we're now ready to move the back panel out of the way.

Continue to next post...
cargen likes this.

Last edited by Low Profile; 04-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.
post #3639 of 3704 Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 PM

Sony KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pick-up Replacement (Post 2 of 3)

Continued from prior post...

Step 5: Unsecure the chassis (CHASSIS-M BLOCK) moving it out of the way of the drive cage.

Slack created in the red and white cables running to the board on top of the drive cage.

Remove the 2 screws on the back left side.

Remove the screw in the top left corner.

Remove the screw in the top right corner.

Remove the 2 screws on the back right side.

Lift the chassis up and forward just enough so that the cables running to the board on the top of the drive cage can be disconnected.

Don't forget to remove the red and white cables from the cable management clip.

The chassis can now be moved completely out of the way of the drive cage.

Step 6: Removing the drive cage.

The prior picture had actually been taken after this one. In any event, we're now going to remove the back right corner bracket (3 screws) as it's obstructing 4 of the screws that are helping secure the drive cage.

Remove the 4 screws securing the right side of the drive cage.

Remove the 4 screws securing the left and back sides of the drive cage.

Remove the 2 screws securing the top of the drive cage.

The drive cage can now be lifted off.

Step 7: Removing the torsion holder (magnet) block.

The torsion holder (magnet) block is pictured to the left of the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy. It's crucial to ensure that it's put back in place properly after having been removed.

Note the curved channel the torsion holder is resting in. The part with the curved channel moves when needed. It's responsible for moving the torsion holder into position when it comes time for a disc to be mounted.

Note also the positioning of the torsion spring (MG). Again, it's crucial to ensure the part is put back properly after having been removed.

The torsion holder has now been removed. Should be noted however, that it technically doesn't need to be removed if you intend to remove the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy and DR-510 board when going to perform the KES-430A replacement. It's still best to remove the part I think though. With the part removed you're provided a better view of the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy per checking to confirm its placement prior to removing it along with the DR-510 board behind it.

Step 8: Taking note of the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy placement.

The BU (KEM-430AAA) assy sits in the spiral channel of a gear which is responsible for moving it into position when it comes time for a disc to be mounted.

Taking a closer look at the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy placement. It's crucial to ensure it's put back in place properly after having been removed.

Step 9: Removing the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy and DR-510 board.

This is an earlier picture provided for point of reference. The DR-510 board is positioned to the left of the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy.

Remove the 2 screws holding the DR-510 board in place. The BU (KEM-430AAA) assy and DR-510 board are connected by ribbon cables. Leave the ribbon cables connected. Both parts will be removed together. To remove them lift both vertically until the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy clears the shaft (pole) it's resting on.

Continue to next post...
cargen likes this.

Last edited by Low Profile; 04-15-2018 at 10:03 AM.
post #3640 of 3704 Old 04-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Sony KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pick-up Replacement (Post 3 of 3)

Continued from prior post...

Step 10: Preparing to remove the KEM-430A optical pick-up.

You'll probably notice that I never removed the BU (KEM-430AAA) assy and DR-510 board. This is the second time I've replaced the KEM-430A optical pick-up in one of these changers. I decided this time to just leave both parts in place.

Taking a closer look at the KEM-430A optical pick-up.

Remove the bracket in the top left corner.

Remove the bracket in the bottom left corner. I removed this bracket, but realize now that I didn't need to.

Remove the bracket in the top right corner.

Remove the bracket in the bottom right corner. Looks like I probably didn't need to remove this one either.

All 4 brackets now removed.

Step 11: Removing the KES-430A optical pick-up.

Disconnect the cable connected to the KES-430A optical pick-up by carefully placing the release arm (for lack of a better word) in the upright position. Make sure to lift the release arm from both sides at once as it's quite pliable. Once in the upright position the cable comes right out.

Sorry for not getting pictures of the actual removal. I was doing all of this after a very long day. It's easy enough to describe the process though. (Use the pictures above and below for reference.) Next the top rail needs to be removed that's threaded through the KEM-430A. On the left side lift the top rail up and out of the notch it's sitting in just enough to clear the block to its left, then sliding the rail to the left until it's no longer threaded through the KEM-430A. Once the top rail has been removed the KEM-430A is just resting on the bottom rail and top screw, the top screw being connected to the motor there which provides for moving the optical pick-up while reading the given disc. You may need to move the KEM-430A to the left along the screw a little bit first. You're then just leaning the top of the KEM-430A to the right until the attached white plastic guide (for lack of a better word) is no longer on the top screw. The KEM-430A can be lifted vertically off the bottom rail at that point.

The KEM-430A optical pick-up has now been removed.

Step 12: Preparing the replacement KEM-430A for installation.

Remove the plastic guide from the original KEM-430A. Be careful as the part felt very fragile to me. There's just one screw to remove.

The plastic guide has been removed.

I purchased 8 of these KEM-430A's several years ago. I'll have 6 spares after installing this one.

The plactic guide has been installed on the new KEM-430A. Follow the previously oulined steps in reverse to install the KEM-430A, BU (KEM-430AAA) assy, DR-510 board, torsion holder, back right corner bracket and drive cage.

Step 13: Preparing to put the chassis back in place.

Make sure the cable connected to the blue LED it still making its way back up to the chassis.

Reconnect the cables to the top of the drive cage placing the red and white cables back in the cable management clip.

Check the openings on the back left side ensuring all the cables are still fished up through prior to putting the chassis back in place.

Step 14: Reinstall the chassis, reconnect and button up the cables, place the back panel, drive cage cover and case back on.

Follow the previously outlined steps in reverse, the below picture having been taken after I put the chassis back in place screwing it down, then connecting and buttoning up all the cables.
krichter1, cargen and erg0010 like this.

Last edited by Low Profile; 04-14-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #3641 of 3704 Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Low Profile,

What an incredibly detailed "How To"!

An enormous contribution of your time and expertise to benefit all of us
SONY CX-7000 owners!

Thank you so much for sharing!

chris

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #3642 of 3704 Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
Low Profile,

What an incredibly detailed "How To"!

An enormous contribution of your time and expertise to benefit all of us
SONY CX-7000 owners!

Thank you so much for sharing!

chris
You're very welcome. I was happy to do it. Those of us that own these Sony changers have to stick together!
post #3643 of 3704 Old 04-24-2018, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BDP-CX960 invalid disc blu ray

I have had my BDP-CX960 since new and a couple years ago it quit playing blu ray discs (unable to play this disc error), but swapping in a new pickup head fixed that problem.

A few weeks ago it started happening again so I swapped in another new head. But this time, DVDs still OK, but no luck on blu rays. I know the service manual says to replace the DR-510 board when changing out the laser assembly, so I thought I might try that. Anybody know where to find one of those? Or have another idea?

Thanks
post #3644 of 3704 Old 04-30-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianban View Post
I have had my BDP-CX960 since new and a couple years ago it quit playing blu ray discs (unable to play this disc error), but swapping in a new pickup head fixed that problem.

A few weeks ago it started happening again so I swapped in another new head. But this time, DVDs still OK, but no luck on blu rays. I know the service manual says to replace the DR-510 board when changing out the laser assembly, so I thought I might try that. Anybody know where to find one of those? Or have another idea?

Thanks
Anyone need a KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pick-up (and service manual)?
Feel free to PM me.

I have since sold my CX960. The laser pickup (and a service manual) were purchased as insurance, my unit never failed, and has since found a new home.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #3645 of 3704 Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
brianban,

My apologies I did not mean to post, as reply; to your question.
As for the DR-510 board, I have no idea, and was lucky in never needing to open my unit

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #3646 of 3704 Old 04-30-2018, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Thanks
BrianBan,

I had the same issue a couple of years back with some KES-430A's (optical laser lens) ordered online. Mine wouldn't read blu-ray's just DVD's. I got back with the retailer and informed them of what was happening. I sent the laser pickups back and they tested them with the same results. They sent me some replacements that worked great! So, I would recommend you get with the retailer and see if they can replace your piece. I would also recommend you purchase other inexpensive Sony players that have the same identical optical laser pickup assemblies (KES430AAA) and use these players to test your optical laser lenses. It's much easier to take apart and test then trying it on your BDP-CX960/BDP-CX7000ES players.

One of the AVS forum members posted the following players that will have the same optical pickups. The machines are the Sony BDP-BX2, BDP-s360, BDP-s560 and the BDP-1000ES. I picked up a couple of these players and have used them as test beds for the optical laser lenses I purchased. I have also taken the entire pickup assembly (KES430AAA) from these players and put them into my BDP-CX960/BDP-CX7000ES players. Of course, ops check the players to make sure they're working correctly prior to using the parts. I'm not sure if I can post the e-retailer that I purchased the optical laser lenses from, so I'm not posting it at this time. I hope this helps.
post #3647 of 3704 Old 04-30-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Brianban,

I neglected to mention that in my experience the DR510 board was not defective and was not the faulty issue. I'm confident that replacing the optical laser lens (one that will actually work properly and read CD's, DVD's and blu-ray's) will rectify your problem. As far as finding the DR510 board, I couldn't find it anywhere. I believe that when there were parts available, the DR510 board came with the KES-430AAA assembly but they're no longer available. Good luck.
post #3648 of 3704 Old 05-02-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyDawg View Post
Brianban,

I neglected to mention that in my experience the DR510 board was not defective and was not the faulty issue. I'm confident that replacing the optical laser lens (one that will actually work properly and read CD's, DVD's and blu-ray's) will rectify your problem. As far as finding the DR510 board, I couldn't find it anywhere. I believe that when there were parts available, the DR510 board came with the KES-430AAA assembly but they're no longer available. Good luck.
thanks, I had actually replaced the whole KES430AAA assembly, but I didn't have another test bed for it. I'll look to pickup one of those other players.
post #3649 of 3704 Old 05-15-2018, 06:30 AM

ReyDawg,

Thanks! I picked up a BDP-s360 for like $20 on ebay, tested it out to make sure it was working, then swapped the whole KES-430AAA assembly and I'm back in business!

Here's the odd thing, I took the old assembly and put it back in the BDP-s360 and it works too, so whatever, as long as things are working.

thanks again!

Quote:
Brianban,

post #3650 of 3704 Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
ReyDawg,

Thanks! I picked up a BDP-s360 for like $20 on ebay, tested it out to make sure it was working, then swapped the whole KES-430AAA assembly and I'm back in business!

Here's the odd thing, I took the old assembly and put it back in the BDP-s360 and it works too, so whatever, as long as things are working.

thanks again!
Brianban,

Great news! I also tried the faulty optical laser assembly in one of my test bed players. It worked at first but started to act up. I have subsequently discarded the intermittent/faulty KES-430A assemblies but kept the KEM-430AAA. In my experience, the "Invalid Disk" error has been remedied by replacing just the KES-430A 99.9% of the time. Only once have I had to replace the entire KEM-430AAA assembly. Of course, with the amount of time needed to replace the assembly it's perfectly logical to replace the whole assembly. Hopefully your player will provide you with countless hours of entertainment going forward. On another note, I was on eBay just a couple of days ago and saw a DR-510 board for sale for $95!

I could hardly believe it. In the time it took me to look at my service manual to verify the part it was gone! That was the first time I had ever seen this particular board on sale anywhere. Just goes to show that the unexpected can happen at anytime.
post #3651 of 3704 Old 05-19-2018, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I need some help with my Sony BDP-CX7000ES

Hello all,

I must say upfront I am not a big techie.....so I have not understood fully the info in the previous thread regarding the BDP-CX7000ES invalid disc issues.

I am having the problem identified earlier by my many. I bought this unit about 8 years ago.....I can still play older discs of music and video. If I rent a new blu ray disc from RedBox I can't play it, and the unit says "INVALID DISC".

Any thoughts? Again.....I am not a techie so please keep it simple for me. I REALLY appreciate the help.

post #3652 of 3704 Old 05-20-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frito777 View Post
Hello all,

I must say upfront I am not a big techie.....so I have not understood fully the info in the previous thread regarding the BDP-CX7000ES invalid disc issues.

I am having the problem identified earlier by my many. I bought this unit about 8 years ago.....I can still play older discs of music and video. If I rent a new blu ray disc from RedBox I can't play it, and the unit says "INVALID DISC".

Any thoughts? Again.....I am not a techie so please keep it simple for me. I REALLY appreciate the help.

I have encountered the "INVALID DISC" issue with several of my Sony BDP-CX7000ES units and ultimately the resolution was to replace the "KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pick-up" in each.

A few posts back I outline the steps involved to perform the replacement. See here.
post #3653 of 3704 Old 05-20-2018, 08:31 AM

Thank you

Thank you Low Profile.....I will try that. Having done thins, can you play all your discs, including your old ones?
post #3654 of 3704 Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 AM

Where can I get a KES-430A Laser Pickup?

Hello,
Does anyone know where to find/buy the KES-430A Laser pickup, as described by Low Profile in previous posts?

Thanks,
Frito777
post #3655 of 3704 Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Thank you Low Profile.....I will try that. Having done thins, can you play all your discs, including your old ones?
Sure can. Once replacing the KES-430A part the given changer could then play any given disc I asked it to and that continues to be the case, old and new alike, whether it be a CD, single or dual layer pressed or burned DVD or Blu-ray.
post #3656 of 3704 Old 05-20-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Hello,
Does anyone know where to find/buy the KES-430A Laser pickup, as described by Low Profile in previous posts?

Thanks,
Frito777
EBay. Some examples provided below.

KES430A part only.
KES430A Original New Sony Laser Lens Optical Pickup

Including the KEM-430AAA.
New Genuine SONY Optical Pickup Pick-up LASER For BDP-S1000ES BDP-CX7000ES

Sony Blu-ray player that uses the same part. You could test playback first, then remove the part for use with your Blu-ray changer.
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray Player
post #3657 of 3704 Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I have encountered the "INVALID DISC" issue with several of my Sony BDP-CX7000ES units and ultimately the resolution was to replace the "KES-430A Laser Lens Optical Pick-up" in each.

A few posts back I outline the steps involved to perform the replacement. See here.
Frito777,

I concur 100% with Low Profile. Only once have I had to change the KEM430AAA. In every other instance, changing out just the KES-430A remedied the "Invalid Disk" problem.
post #3658 of 3704 Old 05-20-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Frito777,

I concur 100% with Low Profile. Only once have I had to change the KEM430AAA. In every other instance, changing out just the KES-430A remedied the "Invalid Disk" problem.
Low Profile,

Oops, I posted a reply on your quote instead of Frito777. Sorry about that.
post #3659 of 3704 Old 06-17-2018, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I removed my discs from my cx 7000 to set up Plex, rearranged them, and put them back in. Frustrated with lots of no-names, incorrect names and artwork (nothing new), I decided to try a few things, tried deleting the cache - although I see now that data is present even for some discs that are no longer in the changer - and doing a reset. Now I have no artwork for any of the blu-rays, just a generic silver disc image with movie info, I've tried ejecting, re-loading etc., no artwork for any discs, what did I do? I used to use this with MyMovies on my HTPC, but finally gave up on it after upgrading to windows 10 ruined it, but I still would like to have it available for family and friends.
post #3660 of 3704 Old 06-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moooog View Post
I removed my discs from my cx 7000 to set up Plex, rearranged them, and put them back in. Frustrated with lots of no-names, incorrect names and artwork (nothing new), I decided to try a few things, tried deleting the cache - although I see now that data is present even for some discs that are no longer in the changer - and doing a reset. Now I have no artwork for any of the blu-rays, just a generic silver disc image with movie info, I've tried ejecting, re-loading etc., no artwork for any discs, what did I do? I used to use this with MyMovies on my HTPC, but finally gave up on it after upgrading to windows 10 ruined it, but I still would like to have it available for family and friends.
moooog,

I also noticed this same problem on my CX7000es when I transferred some of my series DVD/blu-rays to another CX7000es. I do believe that support is no longer provided for artwork on any DVD/blu-ray. The Gracenote connection does provide some metadata (for movies older than 2014) but no cover art at all. The weird thing is that cover art is still provided for audio CD's (probably older than 2014). This is an issue that has been developing since the last software update .020, several years back. I have tried the link below, which is supposed to help with this issue, to no avail. Maybe others on the forum have input related to this issue.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/suppo...dl=BDPCX7000ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page