Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #3691 of 3708 Old 01-01-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearUK View Post
I spoke to the local repair company about a new laser for mine and they said buy a media server instead! I can start ripping new discs and any that the 7000ES won’t play and use the player until it gives up completely.
Purchase one and perform the replacement yourself. I provide an in-depth walk-through of how to do so here. It's so easy a caveman could do it. Trust me.
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3708 Old 01-01-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Not born yesterday of course... We talked about it extensively with our mover and although I was going to drive them in my car they showed me the special area of the trailer they use for glass/art/irreplaceable items and I was convinced they would be immobilized in this special spring/air containers (it was a quick move situation and having 8 changers loaded I didn't have time to remove all 3K+ discs). Ironically we believe they made the trip as promised but it was the local move-in team which tilted them before I could catch them unloading it from the semi (they apologized and the lead driver even gave us a $500 credit for the mistake. Just a shame they're keeping Gracenote active for now (so I was told by a Sony rep at the show this winter but removed jacket support... Ridiculous!). 😉

I should mention too I only have the 960's... short sided I know but back then the RS232 capable 7000s were more than my wallet could bear (knowing what I know now of course it would have been money well spent), which is what's needed to control these changers from an external app (unless you know something I don't).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater

Last edited by krichter1; 01-01-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #3693 of 3708 Old 01-01-2019, 02:43 PM

Well I hope your other one doesn't need repaired. Good luck with it. The carousel and other internals of the changer just aren't designed to support the weight of 400 discs short of the changer remaining in a stationary position. It wouldn't take much to potentially break something or get the whole works out of alignment. Just having some fun at your expense for the benefit of others that perhaps may be listening in and contemplating a move without first removing their discs. It really takes no time at all to remove the discs dropping them in 100-disc spindles. Once you get the first couple dozen removed you can stick your pinky finger through the hubs of quite a few of them at once removing them in bulk. In any event, let us know how it goes with the second changer. Will be happy to provide any feedback if you end up having to troubleshoot the issue to any degree. And if I didn't already say so, Happy New Year to you and all our other Sony changer brothers and sisters. Looking forward to another year of dropping new discs in my Sony changers. It's a beautiful thing!
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 3708 Old 01-01-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I should mention too I only have the 960's... short sided I know but back then the RS232 capable 7000s were more than my wallet could bear (knowing what I know now of course it would have been money well spent), which is what's needed to control these changers from an external app (unless you know something I don't).
I was in the same boat. My first Sony Blu-ray changer was a 960. I would have never been able to afford the 7000's if Sony hadn't discontinued the changers selling their remaining stock of 7000's off at $400 a pop. And yes, direct disc selection is only possible via the RS232 commands. That being said, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else that owns one of more 960's from cataloging the contents of the changers elsewhere as I suggested. It's not as sexy, but once you find a disc you'd like to play you'd just have to select the disc by slot number from the XMB or use the "Disc/AMS" knob and "Play" button on the front panel. Done deal.
Panson likes this.
post #3695 of 3708 Old 01-01-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
Purchase one and perform the replacement yourself. I provide an in-depth walk-through of how to do so here. It's so easy a caveman could do it. Trust me.
I looked at your excellent guide, and I wouldn’t begin to try and replace the laser myself. It looks like the player has to be completely torn apart! Looking at your guide made me think that the labour costs for a repair are actually very reasonable.

A new laser wouldn’t bring back the disc artwork either. 📀 📀 📀 📀

As these players are long discontinued I suppose the option for buying a control4 box from eBay to manage discs and artwork would be an option, but I think it’s simply delaying the inevitable.
post #3696 of 3708 Old 01-02-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was in the same boat. My first Sony Blu-ray changer was a 960. I would have never been able to afford the 7000's if Sony hadn't discontinued the changers selling their remaining stock of 7000's off at $400 a pop. And yes, direct disc selection is only possible via the RS232 commands. That being said, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else that owns one of more 960's from cataloging the contents of the changers elsewhere as I suggested. It's not as sexy, but once you find a disc you'd like to play you'd just have to select the disc by slot number from the XMB or use the "Disc/AMS" knob and "Play" button on the front panel. Done deal.
Are you saying there's a hex guide out there for the Sony remote IR codes for an app (you mention XMB??), to control the direct disc command sequence?

Kevin

post #3697 of 3708 Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Are you saying there's a hex guide out there for the Sony remote IR codes for an app (you mention XMB??), to control the direct disc command sequence?
Hi Krichter1. Sorry, no. When I say XMB I'm referring to Sony's XrossMediaBar, the graphical user interface they developed that's used with their Blu-ray changers, single disc Blu-ray players, PS3, Televisions and so forth.

I was making the point that nothing is stopping someone with a 960 from browsing their collection using something other than Sony's XMB as I am. The fact 960 owners can't send the changer a direct disc selection command to play a given disc is beside the point. That's not a deal breaker. Once deciding on a disc to play using DVD Profiler or My Movies for example, 960 owners would just have to take note of the changer and slot number, then firing up the correct changer browsing for the disc by slot number using the changer's built-in interface, i.e. XMB, no title names or cover art required. You're just browsing by slot number and making your selection. Alternatively, there's always the "DISC/AMS" knob, "+100" and "Play" buttons on the front panel of the changer. It's quick and easy to select a disc that way as well. Those methods aren't as sexy as sending the changer a direct disc selection command, but still get the job done nicely.
krichter1 likes this.

Last edited by Low Profile; 01-02-2019 at 05:05 PM.
post #3698 of 3708 Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Is there any way to hook a laptop up to this bluray player? Brother in law loaded about 100 discs and it only recognized 3. Any options out there anymore?

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #3699 of 3708 Old 06-11-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Is there any way to hook a laptop up to this bluray player? Brother in law loaded about 100 discs and it only recognized 3. Any options out there anymore?
I see you posted this a few months back, but I'll reply anyway just in case. The Sony BDP-CX7000ES does have a RS-232 port, so if they own that model the answer is yes. Your brother-in-law could connect the changer to the computer, then using a program like My Movies for instance to browse the contents of the changer starting playback of a given disc. They'd use the My Movies Collection Management application on the PC to catalog their collection telling the application where each disc resides in the changer. They would then be able to browse their collection using My Movies for Windows Media Center or using the mobile app invoking playback of a given disc from the changer. They could also just catalog the contents of the changer in an application like DVD Profiler where they can designate the changer and slot number for each of the discs. They'd then browse for something to watch from DVD Profiler, the PC based application or mobile app. Once finding something to watch they'd take note of which slot the disc resides in manually selecting the disc from the changer via the front panel or via the Sony XMB interface by slot number.
post #3700 of 3708 Old 06-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 585
I picked up a like new CX960 recently, updated the firmware and loaded my Blu-Ray's. It recognized all disc with title, actors, year, etc.. The only thing it didn't do was import any jacket art for any of the disc.

Is there no longer "jacket art" available from Gracenote for these players? Ethernet is connected and playing all via HDMI output.

TIA for any assistance here...

Edit: Looks like I found my answer, Gracenote no longer supported

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen

Last edited by Tasdom; 06-30-2019 at 06:42 AM.
post #3701 of 3708 Old 07-01-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post
I picked up a like new CX960 recently, updated the firmware and loaded my Blu-Ray's. It recognized all disc with title, actors, year, etc.. The only thing it didn't do was import any jacket art for any of the disc.

Is there no longer "jacket art" available from Gracenote for these players? Ethernet is connected and playing all via HDMI output.

TIA for any assistance here...

Edit: Looks like I found my answer, Gracenote no longer supported

Gracenote was stopped by Sony on a number of single disc units but these changers still have the lookup enabled (just not well managed at this point so your movies are Hit-or-Miss and none have jacket pics anymore... Ridiculous IMO!).
Tasdom likes this.

Kevin

post #3702 of 3708 Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 AM

Honestly, even if Gracenote worked with these changers and for each and every disc, even if that was the case I wouldn't use it. The thumbnails are small, there's a character limit for the title names and if you want to make any changes you're limited to an old school flip phone style texting interface. It's absurd. There's also no way to backup the data once you waste your time getting everything to show up like you want. There are far better ways to browse the contents of these changers than with Sony's lame XMB interface. Ideally it should work as designed. I understand, but standing on principle is really beside the point and just a waste of time. These changers have been discontinued for years. Take matters into your own hands. You'll only benefit as a result.

Catalog the contents of the changer in an application like DVD Profiler where the Location (...which changer) and Slot (...which slot number, 1-400) can be designated for each and every disc when going to edit (Edit Profile\Personal Information\Discs) a given profile. You'll then be able to browse the contents of your changer via any number of criteria using DVD Profiler for PC or the DVD Profiler mobile app. When you find something you'd like to watch just take note of the "Location" and "Slot" values for the given disc, then selecting the disc from the changer via the front panel or via the Sony XMB interface having sorted by slot number. Using DVD Profiler you'll even be able to keep track of which discs you've watched and which ones you haven't. It's a no-brainer.
Panson likes this.
post #3703 of 3708 Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony BDP-CX960

I have a Sony BDP-CX960 that failed to Bios update and is now stuck on "Please Wait" when I start it up. I am having a rough time getting some help to repair it. Any ideas?
post #3704 of 3708 Old 07-20-2019, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Honestly, even if Gracenote worked with these changers and for each and every disc, even if that was the case I wouldn't use it. The thumbnails are small, there's a character limit for the title names and if you want to make any changes you're limited to an old school flip phone style texting interface. It's absurd. There's also no way to backup the data once you waste your time getting everything to show up like you want. There are far better ways to browse the contents of these changers than with Sony's lame XMB interface. Ideally it should work as designed. I understand, but standing on principle is really beside the point and just a waste of time. These changers have been discontinued for years. Take matters into your own hands. You'll only benefit as a result.

Catalog the contents of the changer in an application like DVD Profiler where the Location (...which changer) and Slot (...which slot number, 1-400) can be designated for each and every disc when going to edit (Edit Profile\Personal Information\Discs) a given profile. You'll then be able to browse the contents of your changer via any number of criteria using DVD Profiler for PC or the DVD Profiler mobile app. When you find something you'd like to watch just take note of the "Location" and "Slot" values for the given disc, then selecting the disc from the changer via the front panel or via the Sony XMB interface having sorted by slot number. Using DVD Profiler you'll even be able to keep track of which discs you've watched and which ones you haven't. It's a no-brainer.
Still haven't given in and gone the Plex route brother? I understand. I still use my changer sometimes (It's behaving fairly normally) but I've got almost 200 of my favorite Blu-Ray's ripped in lossless so far, running a 40TB NAS (40,000 GB) now still doing it as I get time, works flawless with all my Roku's centrally....thankfully space is getting cheaper and cheaper.
treytexag and Low Profile like this.
post #3705 of 3708 Old 07-22-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a service anyplace I could send off my Blu-rays and have them all ripped for me? Excruciatingly time consuming to do for a neophyte like myself . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3706 of 3708 Old 07-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by treytexag View Post
Is there a service anyplace I could send off my Blu-rays and have them all ripped for me? Excruciatingly time consuming to do for a neophyte like myself . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know of any services and that may even be legally shady anyways. I know Fair Use allows you to rip copies of your Blu-Rays for your own personal use. See: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...-fair-use.html

Now with that said, you only really need one piece of software to do it and it really isn't difficult, just fire and forget really. It's time consuming only if you sit and stare at it while it rips. LOL, otherwise it's a piece of cake if you have a decent PC and a couple BD readers.

The hardest part for most would probably be building their own NAS with Plex Media Server. It's cheaper to build your own, you can buy pre-built NAS servers but their sizing hasn't caught up with individually priced HDD's. Check out the XigmaNAS and FreeNAS projects. Find an old Server and a JBOD, fill it with WD Red disks (or preferred) and you will be on your way.... I absolutely love Plex and highly recommend it. It really is a one stop solution for your Media Room/Home.
treytexag and Low Profile like this.
post #3707 of 3708 Old 08-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonC View Post
Still haven't given in and gone the Plex route brother? I understand. I still use my changer sometimes (It's behaving fairly normally) but I've got almost 200 of my favorite Blu-Ray's ripped in lossless so far, running a 40TB NAS (40,000 GB) now still doing it as I get time, works flawless with all my Roku's centrally....thankfully space is getting cheaper and cheaper.
Not yet. My collection is approaching 4,000 discs. When I can purchase a 20TB hard drive for around $150 I may be game. We're not there yet, but will be one day. Short of that I'll just keep cataloging each disc I purchase in DVD Profiler, then dropping the disc in the next available changer slot. Works for me so. :-P
post #3708 of 3708 Old 09-05-2019, 08:11 PM

I spent part of the day last week replacing the belts in 5 of my DVD changers, the ones pictured on the right.

The earliest of the build dates was August 2003. That's a long time for the belts to hold their tension.

The image above is of the topmost DVD changer. I replaced the belts in that one last March. (See here to learn more about what's involved to change the belts.) Since then the belts for most of the others fell off as well. Again, not bad though considering these changers are upwards of 16 years old.

Anyway, feels great to have them all back in good health. Each of them are working beautifully once again. And a word of caution regarding replacement belts. The ones I purchased off EBay were much thicker than the original ones. Thankfully they still worked, but I would have preferred belts that weren't as thick, closer to the original ones.
treytexag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page