Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

Yeah
Unluckly, I've sent him 2 Emails to the address on the site for info and/or order ... but received NO answer ...

Dan Wright hasn't got back to you? I talk with him almost daily (at least weekly). He responds asap. his customer service is the only thing better than his mods or original products. Weird.

As I've posted earlier and elsewhere, I am a longtime Modwright customer, a beta tester of most of his products, have had a say in his design work, and have become a close friend over the years. Dan will be modding my Oppo (whther it's an SE or original, dunno until the SE surfaces) and I have 100% confidence it will be a stellar player and a good investment. Dan is already aware of the Sabre32 chips and is simply waiting to see if they (Opp/Nuforce) have done anything else that would cause his establish Oppo 83 mod to need a tweek or redesign.

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Dan Wright hasn't got back to you? I talk with him almost daily (at least weekly). He responds asap. his customer service is the only thing better than his mods or original products. Weird.

As I've posted earlier and elsewhere, I am a longtime Modwright customer, a beta tester of most of his products, have had a say in his design work, and have become a close friend over the years. Dan will be modding my Oppo (whther it's an SE or original, dunno until the SE surfaces) and I have 100% confidence it will be a stellar player and a good investment. Dan is already aware of the Sabre32 chips and is simply waiting to see if they (Opp/Nuforce) have done anything else that would cause his establish Oppo 83 mod to need a tweek or redesign.

Hey Ted I would see why Dan gets to you on the second, you guys are pals as I've seen on the other forum AC...But I don't know the guy at all and he has returned two of my emails less than a day if not so hours ,after I asked him a few question late this past summer, I believe he was in the far east or something very nice guy, down to earth, and willing to help out.

I love my 36.5 pre amps and can't wait to read up on any of new up coming units, and mods. Great stuff.

DJoel
post #63 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Djoel,
Good point; I didn't explain myself well. I know why he returns MY messages, of course. But his customer service is well known among anyone looking for Modwright products or services, so, in my experience, he returns EVERYONE'S messages promptly and succinctly (even when traveling). It's that experience (rather than my personal experiences) that has me perplexed as to the poster's comments

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Quite a few people have ideas about this.

seems like if they are really trying to put out an "audiophile" version of this player they should really be upgrading more than just the dac--the rest of the analog signal chain and throwing in a set of balanced stereo outs would really make this a giant killer (more than it already is) even if it cost 1000-1200. seems like they could do it for that price point, no? certainly some would say the difference in parts is not likely to change the performance but people in that camp would likely buy the base model--seems like the market theyre targeting here would want the whole chain improved.
post #65 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

seems like if they are really trying to put out an "audiophile" version of this player they should really be upgrading more than just the dac--the rest of the analog signal chain and throwing in a set of balanced stereo outs would really make this a giant killer (more than it already is) even if it cost 1000-1200. seems like they could do it for that price point, no? certainly some would say the difference in parts is not likely to change the performance but people in that camp would likely buy the base model--seems like the market theyre targeting here would want the whole chain improved.

I agree with you post, and I guess we are all speculating at this point, Nuforce has some involvement in the design of this player or whether they are offering their own SE version that is yet to be seen. However Nuforce Casey offered this much regarding different parts and circuits "Nuforce Edition rides on the better SE platform to offer significant and all-out performance enhancement by installing better parts and optimized important circuit that Oppo deemed "too extreme"."

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #66 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4098 Post(s)
Liked: 3410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

It's not yet been disclosed what changes have been made to the analog board, so any opinions or speculation are pointless. Likewise on the price.

Balanced analog outputs have absolutely no value for providing improved audio quality. They do offer improved noise rejection for the signal path, which is mainly appropriate for pro applications or setups with noise problems.
post #67 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Djoel,
Good point; I didn't explain myself well. I know why he returns MY messages, of course. But his customer service is well known among anyone looking for Modwright products or services, so, in my experience, he returns EVERYONE'S messages promptly and succinctly (even when traveling). It's that experience (rather than my personal experiences) that has me perplexed as to the poster's comments

OK, thanks to all
Tomorrow morning Italy time , I'll try again in send mail to he/them
post #68 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Also remember, OPPO is a "standard" manufacturer. They are not designing their products to only reach a specific market and their products reflect this. They have been designing their products to be a jack-of-all-trades which appeals to the widest range of customers.

Any modifications they will do will align with this mentality. Any serious attempt at redesigning the BDP-83 would result in a new product, rather than a simple modification to their pre-established design.
post #69 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8d4 View Post

I agree with you post, and I guess we are all speculating at this point, Nuforce has some involvement in the design of this player or whether they are offering their own SE version that is yet to be seen. However Nuforce Casey offered this much regarding different parts and circuits "Nuforce Edition rides on the better SE platform to offer significant and all-out performance enhancement by installing better parts and optimized important circuit that Oppo deemed "too extreme"."

Well ALL speculation will end this Monday. Here's a snippet of email I got from Oppo a minutes ago when I asked them about details of the SE platform and if the stock 83s can be upgraded to the SE:

David,

All information about the BDP-83SE will be released next week. We would recommend checking our website on Monday for additional information regarding the upcoming BDP-83SE.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...0#post19542630
post #70 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Oppo BDP-83 Super Special Edition w/ 48 bit, Dual hdmi?
post #71 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

That would be a whole new product at that point.
post #72 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

That would be a whole new product at that point.

You mean the BDP-93?
post #73 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's not yet been disclosed what changes have been made to the analog board, so any opinions or speculation are pointless. Likewise on the price.

Balanced analog outputs have absolutely no value for providing improved audio quality. They do offer improved noise rejection for the signal path, which is mainly appropriate for pro applications or setups with noise problems.

i understand the issue with balanced connections but they sure are on a lot of "high end" and "mid-fi" players and prepros...i wasnt referring to what I would want but what I perceive people in the market for an "audiophile" player would want. maybe "audiophiles" arent even the target market...

indeed all speculation but it will be fun to see what has changed when it comes out--seems like the pre-release hype/leaks would have let some of this (added upgrades) out of the bag to get people excited about it. but again as you mentioned all speculation.
post #74 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I guess it's a day early to ask this question, but we would expect no change over HDMI output presumably? SACD->PCM still output as 88/24 rather than 176/24?
post #75 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

There are absolutely no benefits for digital audio/video. If you are buying the BDP-83SE, it is for analog audio performance requirements only. All others need not apply.
post #76 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Cool
post #77 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 09:31 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Here is what they should have done

- Wireless
- Advanced AL32 Processing Multi-Channel
- 32 bit/192 kHz D/A Converters
- Slot loading disc so there are no moving parts (If still a caddy you should make it in aluminum (like Proceed use to do)
- Balanced out put

In addition here is an interesting white paper, if they could get this kind of audio then we would have our cake and eat it too

Sony SCD-XA5400ES Part 1.pdf 380.1689453125k . file

Sony SCD-XA5400ES Part 2.pdf 370.775390625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony SCD-XA5400ES Part 2.pdf (370.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: pdf Sony SCD-XA5400ES Part 1.pdf (380.2 KB, 464 views)
post #78 of 5825 Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 PM

Liked: 10
It is always nice to have more, especially the streaming capability.....but the reference to the Sony 5400 is rather silly. It is a nice machine and the best stock Sony SACD player so far. But it is hardly any kind of breakthrough product. The white paper is filled with lots of BS....And I mean BS. The DACs mentioned as some kind of super duper proprietary thing are nothing but a single stereo Burr-Brown DAC (not even two in dual mono). Totally BS. And the cute mistake on the last page saying it has 12 of these DACs.....this was taken right out of the old XA9000 and XA777 brochures. The guy that wrote this has no idea what he is saying.

You have no idea how far the Oppo with the Cirrus 4398 DAC can be taken. With the whole player modded, including main power supply, super low jitter clock, transport mods, power supplies and output stage, it is truly world class. If the 32 bit Sabre DAC is sonically better, then it will be that much better. But if someone thinks that a stock cheap implementation of a great DAC chip in a non tweaked out machine can give you great sound.....well, that is a delusion. It takes great tweaking to make something sound really good and that is what us tweak heads do.....and I have been doing it since 1978. We already have balanced outs available on the 83 and I am sure we will make them available on the new SE. Stay tuned....this might be real good!
post #79 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Schultz View Post

It is always nice to have more, especially the streaming capability.....but the reference to the Sony 5400 is rather silly. It is a nice machine and the best stock Sony SACD player so far. But it is hardly any kind of breakthrough product. The white paper is filled with lots of BS....And I mean BS. The DACs mentioned as some kind of super duper proprietary thing are nothing but a single stereo Burr-Brown DAC (not even two in dual mono). Totally BS. And the cute mistake on the last page saying it has 12 of these DACs.....this was taken right out of the old XA9000 and XA777 brochures. The guy that wrote this has no idea what he is saying.

That dude cut and paste

Quote:

You have no idea how far the Oppo with the Cirrus 4398 DAC can be taken. With the whole player modded, including main power supply, super low jitter clock, transport mods, power supplies and output stage, it is truly world class. If the 32 bit Sabre DAC is sonically better, then it will be that much better. But if someone thinks that a stock cheap implementation of a great DAC chip in a non tweaked out machine can give you great sound.....well, that is a delusion. It takes great tweaking to make something sound really good and that is what us tweak heads do.....and I have been doing it since 1978. We already have balanced outs available on the 83 and I am sure we will make them available on the new SE. Stay tuned....this might be real good!

The possibilities !

DJoel
post #80 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Looks like the Oppo BDP-83SE will be $900 and then there will be a NuForce Edition for $1300

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/o...83se/index.php

If you click on upgrade options it looks like NuForce will allow you to trade your BDP83 and $400 for an SE, or for $800 you can get the NuForce edition BDP-83SE
post #81 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 3653
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post

Looks like the Oppo BDP-83SE will be $900 and then there will be a NuForce Edition for $1300

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/o...83se/index.php

If you click on upgrade options it looks like NuForce will allow you to trade your BDP83 and $400 for an SE, or for $800 you can get the NuForce edition BDP-83SE

Interesting. If Oppo will be selling the SE for $900.00 that is a little rich for my blood. That almost doubles the cost of the standard BDP-83. I guess time will tell if the cost to performance ratio will be there or not.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #82 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This is all nice. However, I really want to see what the specs/changes really are.
What is the sonic "upgrade" do we get for $400-$600 more. and not just what some Audio reviewers dedicated listening room sounds like... There might be alot of -trial/tryout shipping going on with this player.
#2. 4000+ hits in 48hrs. in the PF --- This is nuts.............
db
post #83 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Agree, $900.00 is a bit much. I was hoping more along the range of $700.00. For some people it might be worth it provided Oppo also upgraded the power supply & analog section.

Vinod
post #84 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Funny I don't see a DVD-A logo, not that mine has one but at this point I would think it was standard..

Also Nu-force makes their components in every shade I would think they would have gone creative in this special instant..

djoel
post #85 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Interesting. If Oppo will be selling the SE for $900.00 that is a little rich for my blood. That almost doubles the cost of the standard BDP-83. I guess time will tell if the cost to performance ratio will be there or not.

Bill

I was thinking the same. It remains to be seen if there is more than just the DAC upgrade. If the power supplies and analog stage both have upgrades that may warrant the increased price for someone looking for analog performance.

For someone who has high end non-HDMI gear the added analog performance may be worth the added cost. Although, for someone like me, having a single player instead of a nice SACD player and the BDP83 might be worth it.
post #86 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 73
"Extracting high-quality audio from Blu-ray players is problematic. The HDMI signal interleaves video and audio data which, upon decoding, produces an inherent jitter as high as 7nanoseconds (For comparison, a good CD player’s jitter is in the picosecond range). In practical terms, it is difficult to properly decode HDMI audio without employing extensive reclocking circuits, thus pushing up the cost of a good HDMI audio pre-processor."

Can someone please explain how this will change from standard edition.
post #87 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Liked: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

"Extracting high-quality audio from Blu-ray players is problematic. The HDMI signal interleaves video and audio data which, upon decoding, produces an inherent jitter as high as 7nanoseconds (For comparison, a good CD player's jitter is in the picosecond range). In practical terms, it is difficult to properly decode HDMI audio without employing extensive reclocking circuits, thus pushing up the cost of a good HDMI audio pre-processor."

Can someone please explain how this will change from standard edition.

The way I read it they are denigrating HDMI in favor of analog, not proposing any changes to the standard HDMI capability.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #88 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The way I read it they are denigrating HDMI in favor of analog, not proposing any changes to the standard HDMI capability.

-Bill

"The Nuforce Edition elevates performance yet further by replacing critical analog components with the high-grade equivalents NuForce uses in its high-end audio components. The result is a better power supply and optimized analog signal paths. As always, the proof is in the listening. The improvements in stereo (CD, SACD, DVD-A, BD Audio), and L/R/C movie outputs are clearly audible."

I agree with you but this is what is confusing. Nuforce is saying that "movie"(s) are "clearly audible". What is Nuforce comparing this to HDMI? I still have many questions.
post #89 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
I had orignally thought I would get the Oppo Bdp-83 ($500) modded by Dan Wright of Modwright for ($1295.00). I don't doubt Dan's abilities and if Nuforce wouldn't have come out with their upgrade I would have likely gone that route. With trading in my Bdp-83 and $900, I can get the Nuforce Edition, that is too hard to pass up, not to mention I already love my Nuforce electronics...

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #90 of 5825 Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I look forward to the following (analog or analog vs. digital [HDMI]) shootout:

Oppo BDP-83 - $499
BDP-83SE - $899
BDP-83SE NuForce Edition - $1295
BDP-83 Modwright modification - $950 - $1495
Theta Compli Blu - $2995 (orig: $4995) - (Theta Digital link), AVS threads: link & link
Lexicon BD-30 - $3499
Ayre DX-5 - ~$10,000

Double-blinded of course.

Mike

*EDIT*
Add these..

Customs HT - link - $999 - $1799
Versions we will offer officially with rough MSRP pricing (discounts will follow):

Oppo BDP-83CHT "Digital Transport Ed." MSRP 999$
-Upgraded power supply with Toroidal Isolation Transformer
-High-end extremely low jitter clock upgrade
-Disabling of analog audio section for ultimate low noise digital performance
-Gold plated rear capping of analog RCA audio connectors
-Complete copper shielding of upper case for shielding of interference
-Choice of 120v or 240v input & supplied with exact power cable needed for your country

Oppo BDP-83CHT "Digital Transport HD-SDI Ed." MSRP 1799$
-High-end direct HD-SDI output delivering pure decoder signal of HD and SD signals(1080p/24 and 480i/576i)
-Gold plated rear capping of analog RCA audio connectors
-Choice of 120v or 240v input & supplied with exact power cable needed for your country

Oppo BDP-83CHT "Digital Transport Meridian Ed." MSRP 1399$
-Modified for pure direct PCM 4x S/PDIF digital output (full 8 channels) for Lexicon/Meridian etc.
-Gold plated rear capping of analog RCA audio connectors to remove a noise gate

Oppo BDP-83CHT "Ultimate Analog Audio Ed." MSRP 1499$
-Dedicated 2nd power supply for analog audio section with Toroidal Isolation Transformer
-Updated capacitor section of all 10 audio channels for ultimate sound quality

Oppo BDP-83 "Stock Oppo with HD-SDI" MSRP 1299$
-High-end direct HD-SDI output delivering pure decoder signal of HD and SD signals(1080p/24 and 480i/576i)
Oppo BDP-83 "Stock Oppo with Meridian 8 Ch. PCM" MSRP 949$
-Modified for pure direct PCM 4xS/PDIF digital output (full 8 channels) for Lexicon/Meridian etc.

Ric Shultz - $195-$1585 (see below)
--- All out two channel, all out multichannel and HDMI/coax out mod:
$195 for the basic mod
$350 for the all out two channel mods
$400 for the all out multichannel mods
$350 for the EVS Clock 2
$75 for the Jensen cap
$40 for the better 2 channel output jacks

....basically everything I currently offer = $1410.
or $1585 with dual mono front channels (add $15 for multichannel disconnect switches).
Balanced outs and volume control/headphone outs cannot be done with the multichannel mods.

Reference Audio Mods (RAM) - AVS link - $1700+

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (051820 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page