Any Blu-ray player that doesn't have problems? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've been reading reviews for the blu-ray players that I can immediately purchase, and it seems that every one of them has major problems with them.

Are there any blu-ray players that don't have problems??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4804 Post(s)
Liked: 2842
No. They all have issues of one kind or another, so you have to find one that does best with the features that you want. That said, it looks like the OPPO BDP-83 has the best all-around feature set.

Also, don't forget that many problems are caused by incompatibilities in HDMI implementations somewhere in the chain between the BD player, the AVR and the display. Some hardware lets you update the firmware: BD players in particular, and some AVRs. Others have to be returned to the manufacturer to be updated.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just buy a PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you read a lot of the threads here it's easy to get what I call buyer's paralysis. Almost any product made is bound to have one issue or another so at some point you have to decide on something so do your research and do the best you can.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

No. They all have issues of one kind or another, so you have to find one that does best with the features that you want. That said, it looks like the OPPO BDP-83 has the best all-around feature set.

Also, don't forget that many problems are caused by incompatibilities in HDMI implementations somewhere in the chain between the BD player, the AVR and the display. Some hardware lets you update the firmware: BD players in particular, and some AVRs. Others have to be returned to the manufacturer to be updated.

Unfortunately you are right.........sigh.....it didn't use to be this way with AV products. There's something to be said about those good old analog days.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, tried samsung1500, piece of junk, no problem with a Toshiba hddvd they just quit making them, then 6week's ago went with a ps3 slim, work's great so far.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have to say.. I think the PS3 may be the least problematic player. I still don't use one in my theater though... My older Panny BD35 so far keeps plodding along.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am no expert but I have tried a few different players and installed a few for friends.

I have had no luck with Samsung players. My BD-UP5000 combo player was very expensive and has not been reliable. I had to send it out for repair when I first got it and it is now broke again but this time it is out of warranty. I bought a Samsung 1590 and I sold it after one day. It was slow to respond to commands and the drive/fan were too loud for my bedroom. Besides all that Samsung support is far from easy to deal with. They also didn't support the 5000 with any firmware updates after the format war was over. I won't buy another Samsung BR player or anything else they make.

I liked the Panasonic BD-60 a lot. It worked perfectly with every disc I tried, picture quality was great and it just worked the way a player should. I only sold it because I wanted Netflix streaming.

That led me to the LG BD-370. It has also been a great player and it has Netflix streaming. That is what I am currently using. It is also the fastest player I have used. I have been very happy with it so far.

I need to replace the broken 5000 so I am trying to decide what to try next. I already installed my old HD DVD player to play those discs. I had to install the 370 in my theater setup for now. I want to wait for the newest BR players to be released but I can't wait much longer. My girlfriend is starting to give me crap about not being able to stream Law and Order episodes in the bedroom.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Look at the Panasonic's or Oppo's. They best fit into a hoe theater environment as well as being solid players.

Any brand will require ocassional firmware updates. These resolve issues as well as ocassionally adding new features.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 2-23-2015**

Something from damninteresting.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page