Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #4051 of 4075 Old 04-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Bill for the ideas and utilities. Our 10 year old Samsung will display pix and play audio files but not video files. The Denon manual is really hard to follow (jumps you all over) but I might get it to work through it. I'll also check the threads on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4075 Old 04-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I posted the following a few weeks ago on the Denon owner's thread, with no response. I can't imagine how the issue could be caused by the Oppo, but I'll repost it here on the off chance.

I'm having a weird issue with my BDP-80 and my Denon AVR-X2300W, which makes me ask: is there any difference in specs or configuration between the rear panel HDMI inputs and the Aux 1 input on the front panel? [assuming the issue is with the Denon]

Here's what's happening. I have an Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player, about 7 years old. Spontaneously, one day, the image went all pink and magenta, and there was no audio. I found that if I changed the color space from Auto to RGB the color was OK, but nothing restored the audio.

BUT -- if I connect the player to the AVR's Aux 1 on the front panel, the signal is completely restored.

The rear panel inputs all work properly with all other sources: an XBox One S (including 4k UHD), a TiVo Roamio Pro, an Amazon Fire TV, a FIOS cable box.

I replaced the cable with another Monoprice Certified HDMI cable and nothing changed. I even checked with the cable routed normally (around the back of the cabinet with all the other cabling) and re-routed by itself in front of the cabinet. It always works in Aux 1. It never works in the back. All other sources work in the back.

So what could be different about Aux 1? [or is there any way the Oppo could be the source of the problem?]
Unfortunately, I experienced the same issue. I just bought a new AVR and 4K OLED and when I connected my BDP-80 to both the Onkyo AVR and the LG OLED, I got the awful pink and green pictures and no sound. Changing to RGB gave me a picture, but no sound. Looking at the manual for my AVR, it looks like all of my HDMI inputs are HDCP 1.4/2.2 with no ability to manually set it to 1.4, so I think I'm screwed. I can't find any info on the HDMI inputs on the LG OLED 55C7P, but I'm guessing that they're all HDCP 2.2 as well.

I just ordered an OPPO UDP-203, so I'm not out in the cold. Still, the BDP-80 was still in great shape and had been hardware-modded for region free capability. I was hoping to keep using it for that as I have a substantial number of both DVD's and BD's from other countries. Oh well. I suppose I'll have to shell out for a mod for the new player. This is the first time I've ever run into issues with HDMI and I've had two problems that occurred at the same time with two different devices. What is frustrating is that HDCP prevents nothing in terms of piracy. All it does is cause problems for people legitimately trying to use their devices. I guess I'm just an old fart who expects cables to just work for their intended purposes.
post #4053 of 4075 Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
^ Check with OPPO Tech Support. They may have firmware they can get you to address this problem with the newer AVR.

And to the person you quoted: Do the same thing. I’m going to guess your problem started just after doing a firmware update to your Denon which “improved” its HDMI Inputs.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4054 of 4075 Old 04-30-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekzapoppin View Post
Unfortunately, I experienced the same issue. I just bought a new AVR and 4K OLED and when I connected my BDP-80 to both the Onkyo AVR and the LG OLED, I got the awful pink and green pictures and no sound. Changing to RGB gave me a picture, but no sound. Looking at the manual for my AVR, it looks like all of my HDMI inputs are HDCP 1.4/2.2 with no ability to manually set it to 1.4, so I think I'm screwed. I can't find any info on the HDMI inputs on the LG OLED 55C7P, but I'm guessing that they're all HDCP 2.2 as well.

If the AVR has an HDMI-1.4 port, running the BDP-80 through that might fix the no audio issue. It will never work in an HDMI-2.2 port without a firmware fix.
With some AVRs, the 1.4 port is on the front. In most cases the switch from 1.4 to 2.2 is a global switch rather than per port.
post #4055 of 4075 Old 04-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Check with OPPO Tech Support. They may have firmware they can get you to address this problem with the newer AVR.

And to the person you quoted: Do the same thing. I’m going to guess your problem started just after doing a firmware update to your Denon which “improved” its HDMI Inputs.
—Bob
Considering the age of the device and the fact that there hasn't been a firmware update released in years, I think I'm out of luck asking OPPO. I don't hold it against them. There's no way they can support every single device in perpetuity. Honestly, the last firmware update they released came out of nowhere when a new form of DRM meant that certain discs wouldn't work on the older devices. I was stunned when it was released as it had been some time since firmware was actively being developed for the BDP-80.

I'll try the Aux HDMI jack on the front of my AVR, but I suspect that, with it being a 2017 device, all of the ports are 2.2. Worth a try, though.
post #4056 of 4075 Old 04-30-2018, 03:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Considering the age of the device and the fact that there hasn't been a firmware update released in years, I think I'm out of luck asking OPPO. I don't hold it against them. There's no way they can support every single device in perpetuity. Honestly, the last firmware update they released came out of nowhere when a new form of DRM meant that certain discs wouldn't work on the older devices. I was stunned when it was released as it had been some time since firmware was actively being developed for the BDP-80.

I'll try the Aux HDMI jack on the front of my AVR, but I suspect that, with it being a 2017 device, all of the ports are 2.2. Worth a try, though.
Seriously. Ask OPPO. Not every firmware for the player gets a public release. They will get your details and determine if a limited release firmware update is appropriate for your specific situation.
--Bob
geekzapoppin likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #4057 of 4075 Old 04-30-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:

There was recently a person in the BDP-83 thread with the same issue - who received a firmware update from Oppo support which solved his HDCP-2.2 bug.
But they won't give it to you if you don't ask. FYI the 80 and 83 use the same firmware.
geekzapoppin likes this.
post #4058 of 4075 Old 05-01-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Seriously. Ask OPPO. Not every firmware for the player gets a public release. They will get your details and determine if a limited release firmware update is appropriate for your specific situation.
--Bob
Thank you all for the info. It's one more reason to be sad that OPPO is going away. Their support is unbelievable. I'll see what I can find out.
post #4059 of 4075 Old 05-01-2018, 12:57 PM

Emailed OPPO this morning and had the firmware update sent to me by this afternoon! Amazing!
post #4060 of 4075 Old 05-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Emailed OPPO this morning and had the firmware update sent to me by this afternoon! Amazing!
Yep. They're good!
--Bob

post #4061 of 4075 Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Slower than normal response time, they must have been busy.
post #4062 of 4075 Old 05-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is this a firmware upgrade that allows a BDP-80 to work with HDMI 2.0 inputs? Would it be okay to reach out to Oppo and request this firmware as a way to future proof my machine? I'm currently using it to play CDs and SA-CDs only via HDMI and I'd like to continue doing that with future equipment upgrades.
post #4063 of 4075 Old 05-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post
Is this a firmware upgrade that allows a BDP-80 to work with HDMI 2.0 inputs? Would it be okay to reach out to Oppo and request this firmware as a way to future proof my machine? I'm currently using it to play CDs and SA-CDs only via HDMI and I'd like to continue doing that with future equipment upgrades.
The firmware has not been released publicly. That's likely because it has some side effects in certain configurations. So installing it now when you are still using gear that does not need it may come with some gotchas. It wouldn't hurt to talk to OPPO, but understand if they recommend you do NOT install that firmware now -- given what you tell them about your current gear -- there is likely a good reason.
--Bob
Neil S. Bulk and geekzapoppin like this.

post #4064 of 4075 Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a bunch of minidisc records, and i really like the format and sound ( I know it's compress ) but damm it's amazing, I used to copy discs with my old panasonic DVD S35 with optical cable and everything was ok, but with BDP-80 minidisc recorder can't split tracks automatically , all I got is a large file, I know i can cut and separate tracks but the idea of digital optical cable is transfer as original disc, I tried changing bitstream, PCM, 48Kh to 96Kh with no luck, any ideas?
post #4065 of 4075 Old 06-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Unhappy Selling my Oppo BPD-80

Selling my Oppo BPD-80 on eBay today; very sad, it's been a "trooper".

Not totally sold on my new Sony X800, but it does play SACD and UHD, so it's got that going for it.
post #4066 of 4075 Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anybody have the loading tray stop opening on their BDP-80? I haven't pulled it apart yet - but will tonight if this is likely something simple that I can fix at home.

Thanks,

Ryan
post #4067 of 4075 Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
Anybody have the loading tray stop opening on their BDP-80? I haven't pulled it apart yet - but will tonight if this is likely something simple that I can fix at home.

Thanks,

Ryan
Nope, my parent's unit is chugging along. I'd get in touch with OPPO and ask them about it. They are very good in support, worst case you send it in to them and they turn it around very quickly.

They are email support only as far as I know, but they respond well from all reports.
post #4068 of 4075 Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm having the opposite problem, my tray won't stay OPEN. When I use the eject button on the unit, the tray opens, sometimes stays open for several seconds, but then closes on its own. Sometimes it does it when I have a disc partly in the tray and bites the disc! It FEELS like it's less likely to do it when I use the remote to eject, but I never think of it until after the fact. BUT, it doesn't do it ALL the time.

Also, recently, I've noticed that when I pause a BR for a bathroom break, it will lock up hard and I'll have to force it to power down. It's happened the last two movies I've watched. It's possible it a mastering issue I guess (Alien and Aliens from the Quadrilogy sets), but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. Most of the time, I'll watch a movie straight through, so maybe it just doesn't come up.

Considering sending it in for repair.

Quote:

Thanks,

Ryan
post #4069 of 4075 Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgilbert View Post
I'm having the opposite problem, my tray won't stay OPEN. When I use the eject button on the unit, the tray opens, sometimes stays open for several seconds, but then closes on its own. Sometimes it does it when I have a disc partly in the tray and bites the disc! It FEELS like it's less likely to do it when I use the remote to eject, but I never think of it until after the fact. BUT, it doesn't do it ALL the time.

Also, recently, I've noticed that when I pause a BR for a bathroom break, it will lock up hard and I'll have to force it to power down. It's happened the last two movies I've watched. It's possible it a mastering issue I guess (Alien and Aliens from the Quadrilogy sets), but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. Most of the time, I'll watch a movie straight through, so maybe it just doesn't come up.

Considering sending it in for repair.
I have three OPPOs that I'm thinking of sending in for a checkup before OPPO walks off into the sunset. Not that they have any issues, just in case there's some borderline issue that will expose itself like a bad actor in a broadway play when it's too late and you're already in your seats with popcorn.

If you already have some issue, I'd send it in if it was me and just have everything set for the next ten years.
post #4070 of 4075 Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I have three OPPOs that I'm thinking of sending in for a checkup before OPPO walks off into the sunset. Not that they have any issues, just in case there's some borderline issue that will expose itself like a bad actor in a broadway play when it's too late and you're already in your seats with popcorn.

If you already have some issue, I'd send it in if it was me and just have everything set for the next ten years.
I'm sure you are right. Good thing I still have all the original shipping boxes!
post #4071 of 4075 Old 04-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

Ryan
The work-around is to always leave a disc in it. Self-repair isn't an option unless you can source new parts. Mainly it just needs the top plate of the drive, which includes the little plastic spinner. Email Oppo support if you have questions.
post #4072 of 4075 Old 04-02-2019, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The work-around is to always leave a disc in it. Self-repair isn't an option unless you can source new parts. Mainly it just needs the top plate of the drive, which includes the little plastic spinner. Email Oppo support if you have questions.
Incidently, I just watched a Youtube video of someone fixing his original XBox drive which only opened sometimes.
He opened the drive up and placed a sticker on that little plastic spinner that's on the top plate of the drive. It cured it!
post #4073 of 4075 Old 11-18-2019, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oppo BDP-80 Slow Motion & Zoom Controls

I just bumped into your big Oppo BDP-80 thread, one of the three players on my list now that my $$$ Cambridge Audio 650BD is likely on its way to the trash. You can read all about my continuing journey through hell here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post58836564

But (hopefully) on a brighter note regarding the 80’s playback features, I’m no expert at all on this but I think it’s the Java BD disc authoring that allows studios to lock out zoom and/or slo mo player control when playing BDs.

However, can the 80 do slow motion on MOST BDs as well as DVDs?

And zoom on most BDs?

But if yes and/or yes, do any of the firmware updates disable this capability?

Has anyone seen an 80 for sale lately, with or without remote?

If yes, then the next step is for me to call Oppo to confirm how long they will continue to stock the most failure prone parts for the 80.
post #4074 of 4075 Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 AM

Oppo BDP-83, 93, 95 Slow Motion & Zoom Controls

S-video and composite are very convenient for my bedroom 32” CRT TV (lol) set up and only the BDP-80 has both. But I also play lots of DVDs and the 80 is said to have considerably less DVD quality than the other models. https://www.cnet.com/reviews/oppo-bdp-80-review/ Ditto for the analog audio quality.

The 83, 93 and 95 all have composite video output. But are their slow motion and zoom control any better than the 80’s?

Slow motion and zoom control over BDs would be a BIG plus!

Again, I’d have to check with Oppo Support for how long parts will be available, assuming I can find any of these other models for sale.
post #4075 of 4075 Old 11-18-2019, 04:23 AM

HDMI to Analog Video Scaler

Would one of these scalers solve all my BD player to analog TV connectivity problems?

https://www.markertek.com/category/video-scalers

Would this Gefen model give as good or better D/A video conversion quality than
any BD player?

https://www.gefen.com/product/hdmi-c...I-2-COMPSVIDSN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page