Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1921 of 6437 Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwink View Post

I just got the LG570C and it works fine. Does anybody know if I can play VCD as well ?

I haven't tried a VCD, but I have not been able to play SVCDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 6437 Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Have a 570 and when I stop a regular DVD, the player "remembers" where I stopped and begins at that point when I restart.

When I stop a BluRay disk and restart, the player begins all over again -- as if I removed and reinserted the disk.

Is this a common problem?

Had health problems and have had the player for a while before I discovered this bug so returning not an option. I know I can set a bookmark before stopping but would prefer to stop.
post #1923 of 6437 Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

I also experienced this issue with some of my .jpg's. It seems to display all the jpg's I took with my camera fine but I have a bunch that were scanned images of some professional photos my wife had done for my son. When I scanned them I used the highest possible resolution. When I try to play them on my BD570 it takes a lot longer for it to render the thumb nail and then when it displays the image it either shows a question mark or it displays the image but it is distorted.

I'm chalking this up to another thing that makes this player inferior to my WDTV HD Live Plus and my Asus OplayAir. When it comes to streaming video, photos and music, both players are much better.

Thank you for the reply

Did you succeed to solve the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 6437 Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filou1977 View Post

Thank you for the reply

Did you succeed to solve the problem?

The only way to fix this issue is for LG to release a new firmware that addresses the problem. Until that happens my fix is to view pictures on my other TV which is hooked up to a WDTV HD Live Plus.
post #1925 of 6437 Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I can't login to CinemaNow using Firefox on my Mac...anyone else have this problem?
post #1926 of 6437 Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post

Have a 570 and when I stop a regular DVD, the player "remembers" where I stopped and begins at that point when I restart.

When I stop a BluRay disk and restart, the player begins all over again -- as if I removed and reinserted the disk.

Is this a common problem?

This is common in my experience. It's a Blu-ray problem, not a problem with the player.
post #1927 of 6437 Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you know which chipset is used in these players? Sigma , Realtek or ... ?

mike50
post #1928 of 6437 Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Broadcom, as in the Samsung players.

Best regards, maris
post #1929 of 6437 Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Does this year's series resume non-Java BD from standby? My BD370 doesn't, and the 550 & 570 manuals have the same wording as the 370's. Basically, the 370 will resume from a stopped state, but pressing the power button will clear its memory. My Sony S350 resumes non-Java BD from standby (press play: it powers up and starts playing from the memorized position).

Yo mama so fat, time slow when she near.

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an AVS kid.
post #1930 of 6437 Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

I used Make MKV program and it wouldnt work. I have also tried DVD Shrink, AnyDVD and DVD Fab.

Are you saying that the WDTV Live does work without this hassle?

The WDTV will take practically any format I throw at it, including TS and MakeMKV-produced files.
post #1931 of 6437 Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh928 View Post

This isn't for the faint of heart. If you don't know what you're doing, don't try this! UBCD is easily found on the web along with instructions about using ATAPWD.

I'd love to have a larger hard drive in the 590, but I am faint of heart and I'm on an iMac. Too bad there isn't a service for this! I've got three WD green 1TB drives kicking around the house.
post #1932 of 6437 Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just downloaded and installed the latest firmware today on my BD550.
I never had a problem with this player until after this download now the picture keeps cutting in and out with black screen intermission.
I would like to roll back to the old firmware, does anyone know where the old firmware can be found?
Thanks all in advance.
post #1933 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think you can go to the LGE website and download 259.
post #1934 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I just hooked up my BD590 and have a quick question for now. I have the new Blu Ray hooked via the the same HDMI cable my replaced Sony BD used, but whenever I am navigating around the LG I am getting a connection error pop up on my Pioneer Plazma.

It seems the connection is good because behind the error is whatever is coming from the LG BD. The error popup stays on the screen for 3 or 4 seconds and then everything is normal.

Maybe and outdated HDMI cable? Next stop is my TV forum if no ideas here.

I feel infinite
post #1935 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
HJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

I just hooked up my BD590 and have a quick question for now. I have the new Blu Ray hooked via the the same HDMI cable my replaced Sony BD used, but whenever I am navigating around the LG I am getting a connection error pop up on my Pioneer Plazma.

It seems the connection is good because behind the error is whatever is coming from the LG BD. The error popup stays on the screen for 3 or 4 seconds and then everything is normal.

Maybe and outdated HDMI cable? Next stop is my TV forum if no ideas here.

Mamasboy -- The problem is with your Pioneer's settings. I had the exact same problem with my BD570 and Pioneer 5020. Check your Pioneer's HDMI settings.
post #1936 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

HJY, I'll dig around in the Pioneer settings and post a message in the Pioneer Kuro forum if needed. It is a strange because it is obviously connected fine yet I see a connection error.

As for a BD590 question I am trying to get it to see my shared media folder on my windows 7 C: drive. The instructions say share the folder with the media (so I am sharing my media folder with everyone on network now) but the BD still only sees the C drive but not the media folder and clicking on the C drive from the blu ray brings up some sort of a log in screen.

I'll try rebooting. Any other ideas?

I feel infinite
post #1937 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this thread and player and just starting my reading. I was dead set on the panasonic dmp-65 but decided the NTFS playback was worth considering the LG570 and adding a 1-2tb drive for my DVD's and music.

I find myself wanting to watch dump TV series on dvd that I have but not really wanting to pick out a disk and would really like to have them on a hard drive.

First I was wondering - Is it really true that this player has issues with Lionsgate movies? I watch a lot of action movies and they make many of them.

How easy to rip your movies into a format that the player can read? Do I need something to remove any protection? Also I assume it is time consuming... right?

Panasonic makes never fail sale blu ray players but lacks this key feature so if I can make it make sense then I definetly would go LG.
post #1938 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM

I have not been able to connect my BD570C to a TrendNet router using WPA2/PSK/TKIP. LG customer service has been significantly less than helpful - they don't even know if the unit can support anything other than WEP.

Has anyone successfully connected the router wirelessly with WPA2?

TIA,
Dave
post #1939 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Guys, I have found the solution to not be able to see network shares from Win7. I was thinking a lot of whether should I post this solution here or just let LG continue showing how incapable they are of providing real support to their customers or just code their machines properly, but then I remembered all the guys who have written lengthy posts/reviews in here, belauding this series' exceptional behavior, just to make sure that not only mine and others' complaints are heard and try to "balance" the unbalanced and realized I have to show to everybody that I'm not a spy of some other company and that my complaints were true right from the beginning.

Well, the solution to my problem of not being able to login to my network shares no matter what, is described in this thread, and is due to the existence of the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant in my computer (nothing else of what is written in this thread such as disabling Homegroup etc. was the solution at my setup). By the time I uninstalled it, I was able to see all my network shares and log in them whether they were shared to an account with no password set (that is, without entering any password in the CIFS screen), or to an account with a password set. On the other hand, if I "Turn Off Password protected sharing" in my Home or Work network profile, I can see all shares instantly under the computer that shares them and go into them without any credentials asked from the player (just like it happens from Win XP). In short, the player behaves as expected when the Windows Live Sign-in assistant is not installed in my system. Of course, it may behave as well if you're lucky enough to use the same usernames and passwords to everything (Windows Live, network shares etc.) but this wasn't my case.
You may now be wondering why I said in the beginning it is LG's fault and not Microsoft's. The answer is very simple: First, this damn program is installed via Windows Update and can be easily considered as a "standard" one in the biggest majority of Win7 machines (not to mention the users who actually use it). Second, do you happen to know other programs that are blocked by this? I don't. Whatever computer I have connected to my Win7 pc, at home or at work, whatever OS it is running, it can login into my shares without any problem at all!!! As I have said in a previous post of mine, I don't give a damn if this is a BD player based on some free Unix distro or I don't know what else. The only thing that matters for me is that LG's support is a joke and can't give us a guide of some kind, or they just can't make the machine connect to Win7 pc's easily. Unfortunately, they are going to use this info in the future and I really don't like it at all, since they managed to do what I was shouting for right from the beginning: make their customers their beta testers. Not only do we pay them in order to buy their products, we are also loosing unbelievable amounts of time in order to find solutions to their problems... Way to go LG!

P.S. Whoever has read my posts, will have seen that my second problem was that when streaming via Nero Media Home and via wireless, the speed was dropping to its knees making it able to stream just mp3's (although through wired everything was blazing fast). Now, with the same modem/router, when streaming wirelessly from network shares, I'm able to watch 1080 rips at a bandwidth of about 12Mbps, almost flawlessly. The remote is again not so much responsive - it seems every command we are entering through it, first goes back to the pc, gets some kind of feedback and then comes to our screens as "responsiveness".
post #1940 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInSidney View Post

I have not been able to connect my BD570C to a TrendNet router using WPA2/PSK/TKIP. LG customer service has been significantly less than helpful - they don't even know if the unit can support anything other than WEP.

TIA,
Dave

Dave, I have.
post #1941 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki View Post

Dave, I have.

Ditto.
post #1942 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInSidney View Post

I'm using WPA2-PSK [AES] with a Netgear WNDR3700. Works great with my BD590.
post #1943 of 6437 Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

I found the answer to my windows 7 shared folder issue in this post way back in this thread, I followed the steps and it worked like a charm. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19060379

I then streamed an mkv movie I was halfway through from my PC to the player and it played without a hitch in great quality and fast forward worked which was important because I needed to get to the halfway point.

One thing, I keep getting a message on start up to upgrade the player's software but after reading about issues after installing the latest firmware people are having I am holding off until I have a better understanding as to what I will gain and lose. I am not even sure how old or new the firmware is that I have on it. I'll write down the version and check back here when I get a chance.

I feel infinite
post #1944 of 6437 Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:

I found the answer to my windows 7 shared folder issue in this post way back in this thread, I followed the steps and it worked like a charm. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19060379

I then streamed an mkv movie I was halfway through from my PC to the player and it played without a hitch in great quality and fast forward worked which was important because I needed to get to the halfway point.

One thing, I keep getting a message on start up to upgrade the player's software but after reading about issues after installing the latest firmware people are having I am holding off until I have a better understanding as to what I will gain and lose. I am not even sure how old or new the firmware is that I have on it. I'll write down the version and check back here when I get a chance.

Mamasboy, this walkthrough was a guide for streaming files through Win7's capability of doing so and not for accessing shared folders (that's why you are seeing your "shares" through the Windows Media Player icon on your player's Server List and not through the black desktop icon). Besides that, it instructs users to disable password protected sharing which is a no-no for some of them (us).

Cheers,
post #1945 of 6437 Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Besides that, it instructs users to disable password protected sharing which is a no-no for some of them (us).

Cheers,

I wrote that guide, and yes it disables the password protected sharing. It may be a no-no indeed for some users, but what choice do you have if nothing else works? Enabling it gave the result that I couldn't access my laptop via my XBOX 360 (and maybe my BD player as well) at all, no matter what I tried and I can tell that I am an experienced computer / windows user

It may be that the communication protocol for protected shares is poorly implemented in the BD player or similar devices like a XBOX 360 so if I had to choose between no being able to access my shares (or stream from them) or unprotected sharing that works without a hassle, I choose the latter one
post #1946 of 6437 Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mamasboy, this walkthrough was a guide for streaming files through Win7's capability of doing so and not for accessing shared folders (that's why you are seeing your "shares" through the Windows Media Player icon on your player's Server List and not through the black desktop icon). Besides that, it instructs users to disable password protected sharing which is a no-no for some of them (us).

Cheers,

On my BD I am seeing my shared media folders under the C: drive not the WMP section which is what I want. I don't have a need to password protect these files within my network.

If there is another guide to playing files from the PC let me know. Perhaps that involves installing Nero - which I already own the full version of but have not install to this computer because I really never used it on my old computer.

Question, is it possible to dump files from my PC to the harddrive on the unit over my wi-fi? In windows explorer, under network, I think I see the unit (it is listed as a bunch of numbers lik 8824358756 under networks on the PC) but when I click on it, it asks for username and password. I have no idea what that would be and did not find anything in options to set a password on the BD.

Or is the proper way to move files to unplug my media backup external and plug it into the BD?

I feel infinite
post #1947 of 6437 Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davith78 View Post

I wrote that guide, and yes it disables the password protected sharing. It may be a no-no indeed for some users, but what choice do you have if nothing else works? Enabling it gave the result that I couldn't access my laptop via my XBOX 360 (and maybe my BD player as well) at all, no matter what I tried and I can tell that I am an experienced computer / windows user

It may be that the communication protocol for protected shares is poorly implemented in the BD player or similar devices like a XBOX 360 so if I had to choose between no being able to access my shares (or stream from them) or unprotected sharing that works without a hassle, I choose the latter one

Davith78, I didn't say it in a bad way - I just wanted to point it out. You are among the few guys who have written a walkthrough of such detail in here and you were (are) more than welcome in doing so.
post #1948 of 6437 Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:

On my BD I am seeing my shared media folders under the C: drive not the WMP section which is what I want. I don't have a need to password protect these files within my network.

If there is another guide to playing files from the PC let me know. Perhaps that involves installing Nero - which I already own the full version of but have not install to this computer because I really never used it on my old computer.

Question, is it possible to dump files from my PC to the harddrive on the unit over my wi-fi? In windows explorer, under network, I think I see the unit (it is listed as a bunch of numbers lik 8824358756 under networks on the PC) but when I click on it, it asks for username and password. I have no idea what that would be and did not find anything in options to set a password on the BD.

Or is the proper way to move files to unplug my media backup external and plug it into the BD?

If you are seeing your files under the black desktop icon, you're talking about network shares. If you see them under the WMP icon, it's streaming through Win7's own streaming abilities (DLNA). If you see them under the green Nero Media Home, it's through 3rd party's (Nero's) streaming abilities (DLNA) and so on. The only sure way to understand what is going on, is to start disabling things (Turn network discovery on & off, turn media streaming on & off) and pressing a lot of times the green "G" button on your remote, since this player has the habit of displaying whatever it wants every time you refresh the Servers list (the best way to see what's available though, is to just turn the player off and on again).
post #1949 of 6437 Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

On the LG I am seeing my shared folders files under the black desktop icon which is what I want (I think) or is there a reason to stream through WMP or Nero? Maybe something to do with DNLA or transcoding??

I am still getting the annoying connection error between from my Pioneer Kuro. I posted in the Kuro forum since one other person had a similar problem:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19161519

Back to my questions about moving files from my PC to the LG hard drive. What is the best way to do this? For some reason the LG sees my PC but the PC does not see the LG. I figured I would just move a copy of my media library via drag and drop to the LG hard drive so I wouldn't need to wi-fi stream stuff. But since the PC does not show the LG this is not possible.

Do I need to move my external backup drive to the LG and then move files that way?

I feel infinite
post #1950 of 6437 Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mamasboy,

Have you tried pulling them off of your PC from the LG? From the 'Home Link' section, select a folder, press 'info/display', then select 'copy'. There is no way that I know of to drag and drop from the PC side. I hope that this helps. Let me know if you need further information. Regards...Will

P.S. You will not be able to see the LG as a share from the PC side.

Samsung KS8000 65"
Denon AVR-X2300W 5.1.2
DIRECTV HR54 Genie Server (UHD)
NVIDIA Shield
X-Box One S
Toshiba HD-XA2 (Yup...I'm still using one!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page