Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 895 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1513Likes

post #26821 of 28719 Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you're using the EU player, the download is a zip file containing an "UPG" folder. That folder, not the zip file, must be in the root of the thumb drive.
Open the player's setup, device setup and the firmware update option. Select the USB option and it will find the firmware.

You might want to post your actual firmware version info here to confirm what player version you have. If you have an EU player, there will be an "EU" in the name of the main firmware version.

Thank you for that, I had downloaded the wrong version. My firmware was BDP9xEU-26-1108 so I have now updated it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26822 of 28719 Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Update has sorted the handshake issues so that's good. I'm free to chose the settings which look best now and not just the ones that work properly. Menu's a lot slicker and a choice of 3 setting's for the HDMI is what I've noticed so far. Thanks again

post #26823 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

Got a silly question here .redface.gif Thought I'd try the wireless network/internet attachment and access my PC to play some video clips.

The network search turned up the Documents directory, but when I tried to access it, I get this message on the screen -

"Server Error: Please ensure that your sever allows the player to access its library"

My PC is running Windows 8.1 and folder security is set to "full control". I tried turning off the Firewall, but still get the error message.

Is there anything else that I should do in the PC for the player to gain access?

Thanks for any advice.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26824 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I have started to have problems with audio lag lately and can`t figure out what is causing it. I looked in the settings for a lip-sync feature but couldn`t find any, is there another way to get rid of the lag?

Sony VPL-VW550 + custom HDR gamma curves | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #26825 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
^ Are you using dual HDMI cabling? If so your AVR may be adding a chunk of audio delay "to be helpful", because it does not know you have bypassed it for video. It's trying to compensate for its own video processing time. Try turning off video output from that AVR, or set it to HDMI pass-through.

If audio is ahead of video, try setting 1080p/24 Output OFF. Some displays add ridiculous amounts of video delay when fed 1080p/24.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26826 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Are you using dual HDMI cabling? If so your AVR may be adding a chunk of audio delay "to be helpful", because it does not know you have bypassed it for video. It's trying to compensate for its own video processing time. Try turning off video output from that AVR, or set it to HDMI pass-through.

If audio is ahead of video, try setting 1080p/24 Output OFF. Some displays add ridiculous amounts of video delay when fed 1080p/24.
--Bob

Actually, the Oppo was connected directly to the display without going trough AVR. But i did try connecting it through AVR as well and the lag is still present. Audio is a bit after video.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a lip-sync feature in my AVR that could help but so far i havn't found any such.

Sony VPL-VW550 + custom HDR gamma curves | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #26827 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ What are you using for audio when directly connected to the Display?

If audio is behind video, then something is already adding audio delay.

Be sure you are testing this with content of known sync quality, as A/V Sync errors are pretty common in movies. Use a calibration disc. Good sync tests are on Disney's WOW Blu-ray and on Spears & Munsil v2 (available direct from OPPO).
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #26828 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Bob:
I use the built in speakers in my display (Pioneer Kuro G9). The Oppo is set to "auto" under HDMI audio settings.

post #26829 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Does the Kuro itself have an audio delay function?

Video processing is the thing that takes time. So if audio is behind video, something is adding (too much) audio delay. If you check with a calibration disc you'll be able to quantify the amount of error, and that may yield a clue.
--Bob

post #26830 of 28719 Old 06-08-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Finally decided to register a few of my Blu-ray disks with UltraViolet to see what that's like. It meant creating matching Flixter and UltraViolet accounts (the latter was effortless, as Flixter asked if I wanted it to make an account for me with the same login and password). Once I had done that with the first disk (Gravity), I registered the other two for which I had found the UV inserts, Cloud Atlas and The Dark Knight Rises (this was on a break from an apartment cleanup, which was how I found them). Flixter then gave me a free additional film to watch, putting the first Austin Powers film into my library (why it thought that was appropriate given the other films is a mystery). Cool that I could then watch them on my phone.

When I found that I could only watch in SD on my PC, I noticed that I could also watch UV via Vudu through my Oppo, which meant higher quality (but of course I already have the Blu-rays, which are even better). But I created a Vudu account, and was immediately thanked by being given my choice of any 5 films from a list of about 30. So I picked Rango, which is fun, Master and Comander, which I've never seen, Bean which is silly, and two others. The Android Vudu app is not compatible with my phone, but this gave me the chance to try out the Oppo's Vudu, which I've never used before.

Very nice - similar playback interface to the Oppo's YouTube playback controls. I've got over 65 Mbps downstream, so HDX worked smoothly, including Dolby Digital + 5.1. Now if only they'd put an Amazon Instant Video app on the 93 I'd be very happy, since I'm a heavy user of Amazon Prime via my Roku, and am limited by my pre-HDMI amp to using an older Roku with an optical SP|DIF output, in order to get standard DD 5.1 - which means I'm limited to 720 video.!

post #26831 of 28719 Old 06-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Just wanted to say that since I installed the latest firmware a couple days ago, multi-channel audio via the analog outputs seems to have improved quite a bit, especially the imaging and bass clarity (which is to be expected obviously). I didn't think the delay fix would make such a big difference... at least to my ears it has.

btw, does anyone else here own a DVD-A of Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat album? At some point since the previous firmware update (October 2013) my BDP-93 lost the ability to play through the disk, getting hung up on the last half of the album. I was hoping the latest firmware might possibly fix it but it hasn't. Is anyone else experiencing this issue or do I need to try to find another DVD-A of the album?

thanks...
post #26832 of 28719 Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up The Morph-ology of the new firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post
Just wanted to say that since I installed the latest firmware a couple days ago, multi-channel audio via the analog outputs seems to have improved quite a bit, especially the imaging and bass clarity (which is to be expected obviously). I didn't think the delay fix would make such a big difference... at least to my ears it has.

btw, does anyone else here own a DVD-A of Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat album? At some point since the previous firmware update (October 2013) my BDP-93 lost the ability to play through the disk, getting hung up on the last half of the album. I was hoping the latest firmware might possibly fix it but it hasn't. Is anyone else experiencing this issue or do I need to try to find another DVD-A of the album?

thanks...
On the strength of your post (I'm also an analog audio output guy) - and the absence of any posts saying the new firmware had caused any problems - I did the upgrade tonight.

I then popped in my copy of the 5.1 96/24 DVD-A of Morph the Cat. It played fine, as always. I didn't have time to play it straight through, so I skipped ahead from track to track though the whole album without any problem. My copy is the version that came bundled with a CD in a 2 disk CD case (unusual for a DVD-A, which usually come in oversize CD cases that are roughly the size of a DVD case).

It sounded very good, but since I hadn't listened to it for quite a while right before upgrading the firmware, I can't swear that it sounds any different. Nor can I swear whether it played under the October 2013 firmware, since it's been a while since I last played it.

I also listened to my standard calibration track, "Nightwalk," from Gathered Around by the Steve Huffsteter Big Band on AIX Records. (I bought the download of the 96/24 5.1 "Stage Perspective" mix of that album from iTrax, which is run by AIX.) That sounded great as usual. It's a "pocket big band" with a contemporary sound, all original tunes, and clearly of the Gil Evans school.

I didn't have time to prime my ears to listen comparatively to anything before installing the new firmware, as I had a friend over to watch a few episodes from the Blu-ray set of the first season of Elvis Costello's great interview show Spectacle (episodes with the Police and with Smokey Robinson), so I can't say that it sounds any better, but it certainly doesn't sound any worse!

-Phil

post #26833 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
On the strength of your post (I'm also an analog audio output guy) - and the absence of any posts saying the new firmware had caused any problems - I did the upgrade tonight.

I then popped in my copy of the 5.1 96/24 DVD-A of Morph the Cat. It played fine, as always. I didn't have time to play it straight through, so I skipped ahead from track to track though the whole album without any problem. My copy is the version that came bundled with a CD in a 2 disk CD case (unusual for a DVD-A, which usually come in oversize CD cases that are roughly the size of a DVD case).

It sounded very good, but since I hadn't listened to it for quite a while right before upgrading the firmware, I can't swear that it sounds any different. Nor can I swear whether it played under the October 2013 firmware, since it's been a while since I last played it.

I also listened to my standard calibration track, "Nightwalk," from Gathered Around by the Steve Huffsteter Big Band on AIX Records. (I bought the download of the 96/24 5.1 "Stage Perspective" mix of that album from iTrax, which is run by AIX.) That sounded great as usual. It's a "pocket big band" with a contemporary sound, all original tunes, and clearly of the Gil Evans school.

I didn't have time to prime my ears to listen comparatively to anything before installing the new firmware, as I had a friend over to watch a few episodes from the Blu-ray set of the first season of Elvis Costello's great interview show Spectacle (episodes with the Police and with Smokey Robinson), so I can't say that it sounds any better, but it certainly doesn't sound any worse!

-Phil
Thanks for checking your DVD-A of Morph the Cat (same CD/DVD-A version I have, btw). I don't know what happened but ever since I tried playing it in January my disc gets hung at around "Security Joan" and won't play at all. It used to play through with no issues, but now the title screen for the last few songs show but the songs won't load. The irony in all this being that before I upgraded to the oppo, Morph was one of the only DVD-A discs my old player would still play.

Otherwise, I'm quite please with the BDP-93 since the update. I've given several discs a spin (DVD-A/Dual-Discs: Talking Heads "More Songs...", Tipper "Surrounded", King Crimson "Lizard", Todd Rundgren "liars", Yes "Close To The Edge", XTC "Nonsuch") and they've all sounded noticeably better in the mid-bass and drum imaging and soundstage. Roxy Music's "Avalon" SACD especially sounded incredible last night.

I also watched The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition 3D Blu-ray, partially to see if I had the mysterious 3D/wi-fi issue. It looked and sounded great with no issues.

So I guess I'm in the market for a new copy of Morph.
post #26834 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After doing the upgrade I noticed something strange: the DVD-A and HDCD Mode settings were greyed out and inaccessible. Fortunately, both were turned on. Putting that type of disc in didn't make its option available to modify. (The SACD Layer option was not greyed out.)

I don't recall this being the case previously.

I didn't try resetting to factory or clearing persistent memory, because everything seems to be working fine, and my channel settings under multichannel (downmix to 5.1 and -10 for all channels but the sub) were correct and it wasn't worth reentering everything, including subscription logins, for an academic question.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-12-2014 at 09:09 AM.
post #26835 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I recently bought a pair of "4K Mastered" Blu-ray disks. They're standard 1080p disks that leave off any extra features so they can use less video compression and look very good as a result. They also say they come from 4K masters.

One interesting note is that they say that they have even better color if your system can handle 4:4:4 color. Would that be the Deep Color setting?
post #26836 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4022 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Quote:
One interesting note is that they say that they have even better color if your system can handle 4:4:4 color. Would that be the Deep Color setting?
No, it's a proprietary Sony thing that only works on Sony Blu-ray players connected to Sony UHDTVs. Documentation about what exactly they've done is sketchy.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #26837 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
After doing the upgrade I noticed something strange: the DVD-A and HDCD Mode settings were greyed out and inaccessible. Fortunately, both were turned on. Putting that type of disc in didn't make its option available to modify. (The SACD Layer option was not greyed out.)

I didn't try resetting to factory or clearing persistent memory, because everything seems to be working fine, and my channel settings under multichannel (downmix to 5.1 and -10 for all channels but the sub) were correct and it wasn't worth reentering everything, including subscription logins, for an academic question.
My DVD-A and HDCD mode selection is working as it should, but I did the factory reset after the update, so that may be your solution.
post #26838 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sorry if this question has been asked answered before...but the new forum seems to have screwed up the search function.

I have all of my blu-rays ripped to .MKV on a Windows Home Server machine. Oppo 93 is in the theater room, and in the past, we only used it with the disk itself since there was not a network connection. I have finally run Gigabit Ethernet to the Oppo. I did a quick search and read that by installing OShare, I could browse to the folders with my MKV rips over the network. I've done this, and can locate my .MKV rips, but when I start playback, it take a minute or so for the file to start playing...then when it does, it freezes after a few seconds and locks the Oppo up. Should I be able to playback .MKV's in this fashion, or is this not worked out yet on the Oppo? If this is fully supported, any thing that could be causing the freezing issue? I've played back the MKVs numerous times from our Dune Player in the living room..so am pretty sure the network and rips are good.

I don't really like talking about my flair
post #26839 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Eject the tray and also Stop any media file playback that might be in progress. Go to Home Menu, and then bring up Setup. Are those lines still grayed out?

If so then it's time to try a Reset.
--Bob

post #26840 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4579 Post(s)
Liked: 4416
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked answered before...but the new forum seems to have screwed up the search function.

I have all of my blu-rays ripped to .MKV on a Windows Home Server machine.
As a diagnostic, copy one of the files onto USB storage that you can attach directly to the player. If that works, we'll look at server issues.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #26841 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK. Did a quick test a MKV file from USB played back with no issues for a few minutes.

Is there a specific firmware level that the unit needs to be at to assure it can playback MKV files? I think its a least a firmware upgrade or two behind.

post #26842 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 11:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
OK. Did a quick test a MKV file from USB played back with no issues for a few minutes.

Is there a specific firmware level that the unit needs to be at to assure it can playback MKV files? I think its a least a firmware upgrade or two behind.
It's good to keep updated, although if a file plays locally I would expect it to play over DLNA.

You are wired the whole way, player to router and router to PC? No wireless links?

You might try a different DLNA server to see if that makes a difference. There is a FAQ section on servers people have reported using.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #26843 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea. Wired the whole way from both the Windows Server and the Oppo.

Is the DLNA server doing anything to the file? The PC its running on isn't a powerhouse, but I didn't think it needed to do anything to the file itself?

post #26844 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Yea. Wired the whole way from both the Windows Server and the Oppo.

Is the DLNA server doing anything to the file? The PC its running on isn't a powerhouse, but I didn't think it needed to do anything to the file itself?
oShare doesn't. Sometimes other DLNA servers try transcoding operations by default, which often need to be turned off.

If there is a bottleneck in the path it is probably the network. I recall something about gigabyte networks being hampered by non-gigabyte devices, of which the OPPO is one. There was a network setting, but I'm not recalling it now. Maybe someone else?

-Bill

post #26845 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
oShare doesn't. Sometimes other DLNA servers try transcoding operations by default, which often need to be turned off.

If there is a bottleneck in the path it is probably the network. I recall something about gigabyte networks being hampered by non-gigabyte devices, of which the OPPO is one. There was a network setting, but I'm not recalling it now. Maybe someone else?

-Bill
I'm a satisfied user of oShare on my many-year-old AMD desktop. In fact, I've heard that Oppo itself uses oShare for its in-house testing.

Many routers have a Quality of Service ("QOS") setting that lets you give certain devices priority on the network. I've set my ancient blue Linksys wifi g router to give priority on the network to my Oppo and my Roku (since they're connected to the same projector, I'd never be using both at once), but there's very little to that configuration. On some routers, that screen is a confusing maze.

For listening to my music away from home, I keep a second UPnP server running, the foo_upnp plugin for foobar2000. As my usual client on the move is my Android phone, I paid $5 for the Bubbleupnp client for the phone (the only part of this that costs anything) and I run the Bubbleupnp internet server to syndicate foo_upnp - which was written by the same programmer. The Bubbleupnp server is configured through a browser, like a router.

On the phone, I scroll down past all of the proffered tag sorting options to Folder at the bottom, which lets me use my cross-filed index tree, which I've described here before.

The nicest thing about this combo is the Bubbleupnp server can be told by its client to send music in CD resolution (44/16 PCM) if the phone is on WiFi, but to transcode music to mp3s when the phone is using the phone company's internet connection (I use 128k, since 96k isn't an option), to conserve bandwidth - and the client automatically tells the server to do the switch-over when the client sees which kind of connection it's using.

Also, by running foo_upnp in Foobar2000 as a client (it's both) on my laptop, I have access to my music library in CD resolution while traveling.

The phone client, and the desktop client, are capable of gapless playback, by the way - but that doesn't work if the player, like the Oppo, isn't.

-Phil

post #26846 of 28719 Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
I recently bought a pair of "4K Mastered" Blu-ray disks. They're standard 1080p disks that leave off any extra features so they can use less video compression and look very good as a result. They also say they come from 4K masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No, it's a proprietary Sony thing that only works on Sony Blu-ray players connected to Sony UHDTVs. Documentation about what exactly they've done is sketchy.
I've looked at the manual's description of the HDMI Color Space Options. It says that the Auto settings will choose 4:4:4 if the display supports that; and it also provides a fixed 4:4:4 setting, so it does not appear that only Sony Blu-ray players support 4:4:4, and following this thread's recommendations in its Settings Checklist, I've had my Oppo set to the fixed 4:4:4 choice since I first got it.

The question is whether my Panasonic PT-AE2000U projector supports 4:4:4. There is no explicit reference to color spaces in the projector's manual, but there is a reference to HDMI signal level that gives a choice between normal and extended "HDMI signal levels." I don't know exactly what that means.

It would be nice if the Info display on the Oppo would say what color space is in effect - then setting it to Auto would tell me what the display is capable of!

Last edited by Philnick; 06-12-2014 at 11:37 PM.
post #26847 of 28719 Old 06-13-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Playing files from HD

Guys: I finally transferred all my CDs to a hard drive and am a pretty happy camper. The songs (in flac) are in individual folders corresponding to the given CD. Is there a way to make the player to automatically continue to the next FOLDER after finishing playing all the songs in a previous folder? Right now it is stopping when all the songs in a folder are played. I don't think so but I thought I'd ask the experts. Can any other Oppo do that? Thanks.
post #26848 of 28719 Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtekmk2 View Post
Guys: I finally transferred all my CDs to a hard drive and am a pretty happy camper. The songs (in flac) are in individual folders corresponding to the given CD. Is there a way to make the player to automatically continue to the next FOLDER after finishing playing all the songs in a previous folder? Right now it is stopping when all the songs in a folder are played. I don't think so but I thought I'd ask the experts. Can any other Oppo do that? Thanks.
The browser has an All Music option which will flatten the folders and put all the files in a single pool, but I'm not remembering if it keeps them in folder order. Probably it just does an alpha sort of them all.

Alternatively, hard links are supported on NTFS devices. It would be a manual effort to set up, but it is persistent and you could arrange your files and folders however you like.

See Are hard links supported on NTFS volumes?

-Bill

post #26849 of 28719 Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I've looked at the manual's description of the HDMI Color Space Options. It says that the Auto settings will choose 4:4:4 if the display supports that; and it also provides a fixed 4:4:4 setting, so it does not appear that only Sony Blu-ray players support 4:4:4, and following this thread's recommendations in its Settings Checklist, I've had my Oppo set to the fixed 4:4:4 choice since I first got it.

The question is whether my Panasonic PT-AE2000U projector supports 4:4:4. There is no explicit reference to color spaces in the projector's manual, but there is a reference to HDMI signal level that gives a choice between normal and extended "HDMI signal levels." I don't know exactly what that means.

It would be nice if the Info display on the Oppo would say what color space is in effect - then setting it to Auto would tell me what the display is capable of!
The 10x players add the ability to see what's going out on the HDMI outputs. The 9x players do not have that.

What Sony is doing with those fake "4K™" discs is a bit complicated. (They are of course no more than 1080p on disc, as is true of ALL Blu-ray discs.) They are using the xvYCC color space, which is a kludge built on top of YCbCr 4:4:4. It requires support in both the player and the display. The OPPO does not support it and so even if you have a Sony display you won't see any difference from "normal". Basically it allows encoding of a range of colors outside the normal color gamut.

xvYCC is not likely to achieve any further support anywhere as it is expected to be replaced by TRUE wide color gamut encoding in upcoming 4K content standards. I.e., xvYCC is already on the way out. Go to Wikipedia and read up on REC 2020 if you are curious.

(xvYCC encoding is separate from "Deep Color" -- i.e., more than 24 bits per pixel. REC 2020 encoding on the other hand assumes more than 24 bits per pixel encoding, and so it is part and parcel with "Deep Color".)

The YCbCr 4:4:4 Color Space is the default Color Space for connection between two HDMI devices. And so yes, the OPPO supports it.
--Bob
bruceames likes this.

post #26850 of 28719 Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The 10x players add the ability to see what's going out on the HDMI outputs. The 9x players do not have that.

What Sony is doing with those fake "4K™" discs is a bit complicated. (They are of course no more than 1080p on disc, as is true of ALL Blu-ray discs.) They are using the xvYCC color space, which is a kludge built on top of YCbCr 4:4:4. It requires support in both the player and the display. The OPPO does not support it and so even if you have a Sony display you won't see any difference from "normal". Basically it allows encoding of a range of colors outside the normal color gamut.

xvYCC is not likely to achieve any further support anywhere as it is expected to be replaced by TRUE wide color gamut encoding in upcoming 4K content standards. I.e., xvYCC is already on the way out. Go to Wikipedia and read up on REC 2020 if you are curious.

(xvYCC encoding is separate from "Deep Color" -- i.e., more than 24 bits per pixel. REC 2020 encoding on the other hand assumes more than 24 bits per pixel encoding, and so it is part and parcel with "Deep Color".)

The YCbCr 4:4:4 Color Space is the default Color Space for connection between two HDMI devices. And so yes, the OPPO supports it.
--Bob
Bob -

While I'm not about to spend big bucks on them, I was able to pick up two used disks from Amazon Warehouse for about $12 apiece: the original Ghostbusters, which I only had on DVD, and the second Toby Maguire Spider-Man film (the one with Doc Ock).

The "4K Mastered" Ghostbusters was the same price as the standard Blu-ray of that film. It didn't have any of the extra features, which would have required a second disk, since the appeal of the 4K Mastered disks is that less video compression is used. I was particularly influenced by some commenter on line who pointed out that there was much less DNR and EE than on the standard issue. It looks like an old film, like it should.

The Spider-Man film does look better than the original Blu-ray release in the trilogy set - particularly in what background characters look like - more detailed, and the color gradations are smoother. This is with my 93 set to 4:4:4 as always, directly feeding my old Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p LCD projector over HDMI (I run 5.1 analog audio since my old AVR has no HDMI inputs or outputs).

I wouldn't pay $40 for one of these disks, but for the price of a regular Blu-ray "used" (the Spidey flick was actually still shrink-wrapped; one corner of the shiny cardbord sleeve that gets thrown away anyway was a little crushed, but it was otherwise pristine.

I wouldn't call them "fake." They're the same idea as the old SuperBit DVDs, which also sacrificed extras to use less video compression and thus gave a better image. It's the same kind of difference for video as the difference between DD and DD+: still not lossless, but less lossy.

- Phil

Last edited by Philnick; 06-13-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page