Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 932 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1513Likes

post #27931 of 28733 Old 03-19-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It could be the laser has gone bad, but I would try opening the box and cleaning the laser head.

I also recommend contacting OPPO support. They are always helpful and it costs nothing to ask.

-Bill
I will do that to see if that helps

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27932 of 28733 Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OPPO Support often monitors email on weekends.

-Bill
Thanks. I give that a try

Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #27933 of 28733 Old 03-19-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
^ Even if you did have to send in the player for repair, I believe their flatrate repair service is something like $79 (including shipping).
So if it did need repaired, it might be worth it to do that and then sell it for more, or delegate it to a bedroom or something.

So first, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the player.
Even though you initially had good playback with current firmware, if the fw is out of date,
an install of newer firmware could solve the issue if the issue is related to residual errors in the software.

As others have suggested, first pull the power cable for a while, then before you plug the power back in press the power button
on the front of the player, then after that plug it back in and turn on the player.
If it's still not working, and even if you do have the latest firmware installed, you can try loading the most recent firmware
again with a USB flash drive. Just put the firmware file that is available on Oppo's website on the root drive of the USB stick,
then insert the stick in the front USB socket of the player.
If the firmware is not immediately found, you can then go into the menu of the player and force the player to find the firmware.

After all of that, and if the firmware install does not fix the player, you can try removing the top of the player
and then removing the top of the disc drive case and gently cleaning the laser with a q-tip and alcohol.
This is a pretty easy procedure to do, but if you are not comfortable with opening up the player,
then just let Oppo support know what you have tried and ask them what it would cost to repair it.
Again their repair service is usually very reasonable, and for their BD players will almost always keep the resale value
of the player higher than what the repair cost is, and everyone is usually quite happy with their service when they have to have it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27934 of 28733 Old 03-19-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If it hasn't been tried yet, give the player a full power cycle by disconnecting the power cable for 10 minutes or so. Otherwise, I'll echo the suggestions to call Oppo.
I did try but as I mentioned only for a few seconds.

I tried as you suggested for 10 minutes.

Plugged the player in, put in a Blu, closed the tray and the disc started playing. Shut everything down and turned everything back on, the disc loaded and played again.

It loaded slow by played.

I'll keep the cheap Blu player that I purchase as a fill in just in case the Oppo fails again.

Tomorrow, I will open it up and do some cleaning.

THANKS Everyone for all your inputs.

gsr and Paul.R.S like this.

post #27935 of 28733 Old 03-19-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Even if you did have to send in the player for repair, I believe their flatrate repair service is something like $79 (including shipping).
So if it did need repaired, it might be worth it to do that and then sell it for more, or delegate it to a bedroom or something.

So first, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the player.
Even though you initially had good playback with current firmware, if the fw is out of date,
an install of newer firmware could solve the issue if the issue is related to residual errors in the software.

As others have suggested, first pull the power cable for a while, then before you plug the power back in press the power button
on the front of the player, then after that plug it back in and turn on the player.
If it's still not working, and even if you do have the latest firmware installed, you can try loading the most recent firmware
again with a USB flash drive. Just put the firmware file that is available on Oppo's website on the root drive of the USB stick,
then insert the stick in the front USB socket of the player.
If the firmware is not immediately found, you can then go into the menu of the player and force the player to find the firmware.

After all of that, and if the firmware install does not fix the player, you can try removing the top of the player
and then removing the top of the disc drive case and gently cleaning the laser with a q-tip and alcohol.
This is a pretty easy procedure to do, but if you are not comfortable with opening up the player,
then just let Oppo support know what you have tried and ask them what it would cost to repair it.
Again their repair service is usually very reasonable, and for their BD players will almost always keep the resale value
of the player higher than what the repair cost is, and everyone is usually quite happy with their service when they have to have it done.

Smarty-Pants

Great thoughts.

I will be doing as you suggest line by line.

Thanks

post #27936 of 28733 Old 03-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Glad you got your problem solved, Jim.

Re OPPO's statement "We plan on having a new player released sometime in mid-to-late 2016, however, that will meet the new UHD specifications."

I think "mid-to-late 2016" will translate to spring 2017. Here's hoping it's another universal but I think that SoC is going to be a tall order for whatever vendor. I'm not complaining: It's going to be a lot longer before I can afford the size 4k OLED display I want.
post #27937 of 28733 Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibrok View Post
Hi Captain,

I haven't had any trouble with other modern discs such as SPECTRE either. It must have something to do with the way Shout! Factory authors their discs, as I tried ripping Southern Comfort to ISO with anydvd some time ago and it still wouldn't play. I have not yet tried ripping these newest discs though.

edit: I've seen some reports on various forums that people with older Sony players also have trouble with Shout Factory blus.
Gidday Kaibrok,

Another suggestion for you is to be online and then have Anydvdhd running in the background and then just load each troublesome bluray disc so that perhaps your computer's background cached database of anydvd can be updated to the current online titles redfox database. Because ever since the changeover from slysoft server there may be some gaps in titles, worth a try. Cheers..
post #27938 of 28733 Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The BDP-93 has dedicated HW for standard DVD upconverting. A couple of questions:

1. Is the same HW used for MKV playback from a NAS as is used for DVD disks?
2. Has anyone compared the picture quality of DVD MKV playback of the BDP-93 with an Android KODI box like the Amazon Fire TV? The MKV's were made with Makemkv, and no transcoding was done.

Thanks

Last edited by Dave_O; 03-21-2016 at 11:26 AM.
post #27939 of 28733 Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5830 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
^ Yes it is the same video processing for up-scaling of media files (attached or via network) as for SD-DVD discs.
--Bob
Dave_O likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #27940 of 28733 Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Atmos is the clue. It uses complex seamless branching which the -93 cannot Bistream properly. Changing to LPCM should eliminate the dropouts, but you lose the Atmos.

-Bill
My dad had talked to an Onkyo customer rep and they instructed him to switch the Oppo bd93 from LPCM to bitstream in order for the Dolby Atmos light to turn on the Onkyo TX-RZ900. I find it weird that the LPCM uncompressed feed cannot be decoded to process Atmos.
post #27941 of 28733 Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard400 View Post
My dad had talked to an Onkyo customer rep and they instructed him to switch the Oppo bd93 from LPCM to bitstream in order for the Dolby Atmos light to turn on the Onkyo TX-RZ900. I find it weird that the LPCM uncompressed feed cannot be decoded to process Atmos.
LPCM does not include the ATMOS metadata so it makes complete sense that LPCM does not result in ATMOS on the Onkyo. This isn't some matrix encode/decode system like Dolby ProLogic so there is nothing to decode if it is not bitstream. Unfortunately the seamless branching can kill an enjoyable ATMOS experience as the 93 cannot handle it. I'm in the same boat as you. I need to get a new Blu-Ray player to enjoy all titles with seamless branching that have ATMOS or just live with dropouts or go to ATMOS-less LPCM.
post #27942 of 28733 Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post
LPCM does not include the ATMOS metadata so it makes complete sense that LPCM does not result in ATMOS on the Onkyo. This isn't some matrix encode/decode system like Dolby ProLogic so there is nothing to decode if it is not bitstream. Unfortunately the seamless branching can kill an enjoyable ATMOS experience as the 93 cannot handle it. I'm in the same boat as you. I need to get a new Blu-Ray player to enjoy all titles with seamless branching that have ATMOS or just live with dropouts or go to ATMOS-less LPCM.
Well, that sucks. Might be a good time to decide on a new blu ray player that supports 4K. The Oppo BDP93 has been fantastic running new movies and even mkv files from the internet. Might be best to wait for a player supporting DTS:X.
post #27943 of 28733 Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard400 View Post
Well, that sucks. Might be a good time to decide on a new blu ray player that supports 4K. The Oppo BDP93 has been fantastic running new movies and even mkv files from the internet. Might be best to wait for a player supporting DTS:X.
I'm waiting to see what Oppo does, but that is going to take awhile. Late this year we should have at least an idea of what will happen. I'm not buying the Samsung 4K Blu-Ray player.
post #27944 of 28733 Old 03-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Seeking some advice:

I have the Oppo93. I want to get my 65inch ZT60 professionally ISF calibrated.

Will not having my ZT calibrated with the latest and greatest blu-ray player such as the 103D impact the quality of the panel calibration? Or if get it calibrated today with the Oppo93 and the 113D comes out, will I need a new calibration done?

Thanks everyone.
post #27945 of 28733 Old 03-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Seeking some advice:

Will not having my ZT calibrated with the latest and greatest blu-ray player such as the 103D impact the quality of the panel calibration?
No. Any of the professional calibrators that have been active here will use generated signals to do a basic calibration, and then check the results with known source material. Check the link at the bottom of my post for customer reports on the results of having their sets calibrated.
Quote:
Or if get it calibrated today with the Oppo93 and the 113D comes out, will I need a new calibration done?

Thanks everyone.
You wrote 103D and then 113D. The calibration won't be changed by the 103D. You can use controls on the 103D to create the impression that the image is sharper. I assume that 113D was a typo or the expected model number for the next generation OPPO. I wouldn't go to that generation player if I was pairing it with a 1080p plasma based on what I know now about 4K UHD TV.
Edllguy likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #27946 of 28733 Old 03-25-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Seeking some advice:

Will not having my ZT calibrated with the latest and greatest blu-ray player such as the 103D impact the quality of the panel calibration? Or if get it calibrated today with the Oppo93 and the 113D comes out, will I need a new calibration done?
I had my own Panny 65VT50 calibrated in 2013 by D-Nice, who I cannot tout highly enough. Results were sheer perfection.

But since I had a 103 and knew I was going to be using it to watch everything THROUGH, I had D-Nice perform the calibration using the front HDMI input of the 103. In other words, unlike with the 93 which has no external HDMI inputs, the 103 product family has a front and rear HDMI INPUT (e.g. for use feeding the HDMI output of your DirectTV DVR or cable company DVR to the external HDMI input of the 103). This allows utilizing all of the audio/video processing capabilities of the 103 to be applied not only to discs and streaming apps, but also to these external HDMI input sources. This accomplishes beautiful upconvert/cleanup of 720p/1080i HDTV input to 1080p output for feeding to your display. Results viewing HDTV this way are terrific.

Anyway, since this is exactly what I planned to do (feeding my TWC/LA DVR HDMI-output to the 103 external HDMI input) I asked D-Nice to feed his calibration signal generator HDMI output through the front HDMI input of the 103 rather than connecting it directly to the 65VT50. Whatever impact if any (small or zero or whatever) the 103 might have on the video output fed via HDMI output through my AVR and on to the 65VT50, I wanted his calibration to include that impact... whatever it might be, minimal or not. That's is how I watch everything, discs, Netflix streaming, externally provided HDTV source... through the 103. So that's a device I wanted to be included in his calibration.

If you had a 103 for the calibration, and intended to use the 103 the way I do... i.e. for EVERYTHING... I'd strongly suggest you do your calibration the same way, i.e. running through the external HDMI input of the 103.

(note: I don't know if D-Nice visits Canada, but I know he's still in the business of performing ISF calibrations. Just this week I arranged for him to perform a calibration for a friend in Naples FL who has an 85" Sony XBR-950B 4K. If you'd like his contact info please PM me and I'll provide it to you.)
linger63 likes this.
post #27947 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
OPPO Support often monitors email on weekends.

-Bill
Yes they do, when I recently had a problem with my 93 I sent them a query on a Friday night and they got right back to as I had apparently phrased my question poorly. We straightened it out over the weekend, so I sent my unit in for repair. They confirmed the problem, fixed it, and got it back to me super fast. Got to love Oppo!

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #27948 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5329 Post(s)
Liked: 3841
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
No.
I agree. Back in the day when we used analog connections (such as 1080i component) there might have been valid reasons to need a secondary calibration just because you change your disc player but now that we use a digital connection (HDMI) the differences between one Oppo BD player's HDMI out and another should be minimal and in all likelihood imperceptible. People who claim otherwise should be dismissed unless they can show evidence based science under blind conditions proving that the improvements they claim aren't simply due to expectation bias. Such people should be easy to spot: they tend to be the same sort of people who think properly functioning HDMI cords vary the image quality from brand to brand, model to model. [They don't.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #27949 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I had my own Panny 65VT50 calibrated in 2013 by D-Nice, who I cannot tout highly enough. Results were sheer perfection.

But since I had a 103 and knew I was going to be using it to watch everything THROUGH, I had D-Nice perform the calibration using the front HDMI input of the 103. In other words, unlike with the 93 which has no external HDMI inputs, the 103 product family has a front and rear HDMI INPUT (e.g. for use feeding the HDMI output of your DirectTV DVR or cable company DVR to the external HDMI input of the 103). This allows utilizing all of the audio/video processing capabilities of the 103 to be applied not only to discs and streaming apps, but also to these external HDMI input sources. This accomplishes beautiful upconvert/cleanup of 720p/1080i HDTV input to 1080p output for feeding to your display. Results viewing HDTV this way are terrific.

Anyway, since this is exactly what I planned to do (feeding my TWC/LA DVR HDMI-output to the 103 external HDMI input) I asked D-Nice to feed his calibration signal generator HDMI output through the front HDMI input of the 103 rather than connecting it directly to the 65VT50. Whatever impact if any (small or zero or whatever) the 103 might have on the video output fed via HDMI output through my AVR and on to the 65VT50, I wanted his calibration to include that impact... whatever it might be, minimal or not. That's is how I watch everything, discs, Netflix streaming, externally provided HDTV source... through the 103. So that's a device I wanted to be included in his calibration.

If you had a 103 for the calibration, and intended to use the 103 the way I do... i.e. for EVERYTHING... I'd strongly suggest you do your calibration the same way, i.e. running through the external HDMI input of the 103.

(note: I don't know if D-Nice visits Canada, but I know he's still in the business of performing ISF calibrations. Just this week I arranged for him to perform a calibration for a friend in Naples FL who has an 85" Sony XBR-950B 4K. If you'd like his contact info please PM me and I'll provide it to you.)

DSperber,

Great stuff!!

Did the EXACT same thing when I recently got my KRP 500M recalibrated after 7 years.

I made the ISF Calibrator go through my OPPO 105 and ALSO made him do a DIRECT calibration of the screen for comparison.

His gear consisted of (among other things) a $15K Quantum Data signal generator, a Klein Colorimeter and Calman 5 software

If you own a deck with HDMI input(s) why would you EVER calibrate your Display to a $15K signal generator which gets taken away as soon as the job is done!!!!

BTW.........as expected...........the calibration through my OPPO 105 required more "correction" as the accuracy of the $15K signal generator was superior.........DOH!!!!!!!!!

And also...........as expected........PQ is back to absolutely SUPERB!!!!!!!

Last edited by linger63; 03-30-2016 at 10:52 AM.
post #27950 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
BTW.........as expected...........the calibration through my OPPO 105 required more "correction" as the accuracy of the $15K signal generator was superior.........DOH!!!!!!!!!

And also...........as expected........PQ is back to absolutely SUPERB!!!!!!!

There's that word "expected", as in expectation bias.
---

Personally, I'd be upset if passing a pristine HDMI signal through my Oppo as an intermediate step on its way to my video monitor caused such a large adulteration to the image that the video monitor had to be readjusted compared to using the same signal directly to the monitor's HDMI input, but that's me.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-30-2016 at 10:51 AM.
post #27951 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
---

Personally, I'd be upset if passing a pristine HDMI signal through my Oppo as an intermediate step on its way to my video monitor caused such a large adulteration to the image that the video monitor had to be readjusted compared to using the same signal directly to the monitor's HDMI input, but that's me.

I just don't know how to answer a post like this.
post #27952 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
---

If the HDMI Input to the OPPO is YCbCr 4:4:4 at, say 1080i/60 (as from Cable HDTV), the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO are all at the Factory Default (0) values, and the output of the OPPO is, say 1080p/60 also at YCbCr 4:4:4, then their SHOULD be no need to alter the calibration of the display. However, the display may do something different -- even WRONG -- with 1080i/60 input vs. 1080p/60 input, and if that's not correctable in the normal setup settings in the display, then adjustments may be needed.

Also, if the display has been previously calibrated for some other input video format (e.g, RGB) then adjustments may be needed, although these would be THE SAME if that Cable TV video was sent directly to the TV. Again, there SHOULDN'T be a difference between RGB to the display and YCbCr 4:4:4 to the display, but displays can be funky that way.

So the question would have to be how the signal generator was set and what unusual stuff the display does, umm, differently, if some other video format is sent to it?
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #27953 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear that in this scenario which would upset me, the OPPO was not being used to purposefully mess with the various picture adjustments nor video format/resolution.

If, for example, your TV set has too few inputs the concept of piggybacking on to the TV through the BD player's input might have some value to some people, however if it fundamentally mucks up the pristine incoming signal so severally that the video monitor has to be fundamentally recalibrated compared to when it sees that pristine signal directly, then this piggyback feature is not for me.

It's also a shame that, as far as I can tell by reading the manual, the OPPO 103 is incapable of applying a different set of adjustments to the incoming HDMI port than what it does for general disc playback. You are forced to use the exact same values for both. [Many TVs, even some cheap ones, allow for different settings per input and/or incoming format/resolution. But this convenience would be lost using the OPPO's piggyback input feature.] It doesn't seem like it would've been that hard to implement a different set of instructions considering it does have two distinctly different sets of picture adjustments for its two HDMI outputs.

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-30-2016 at 03:51 PM.
post #27954 of 28733 Old 03-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Although the OPPO does not automatically switch per input, it offers three user-settable configurations for the Picture Adjustment controls. So if you want to use something different for the HDMI Input you can manually switch to your desired, pre-established, Picture Adjustment configuration.

Press and Hold the Setup button on the remote as a short-cut to get to the Picture Adjustment settings. With the Mode line highlighted at the top of the list, use Left/Right Arrow to choose the collection of settings you want to switch to.
--Bob

post #27955 of 28733 Old 04-03-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 174
OPPO BD-93 plays sound for every language but English?

I have owned the OPPO since new. Saturday it played "Mad Max: Fury Road" flawlessly through a Denon 4311ci built in 2011. Sunday it played every language but English through a Marantz 7702mh2 built in 2016. It will play the previews and menus in English but when the movie starts there is picture but no sound - in English. In French, etc. it plays all the way through the way it should.

What the heck is gong on? I've never encountered anything like this. I tested the movie "Mud". Same thing. Anybody have any ideas
post #27956 of 28733 Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post
I have owned the OPPO since new. Saturday it played "Mad Max: Fury Road" flawlessly through a Denon 4311ci built in 2011. Sunday it played every language but English through a Marantz 7702mh2 built in 2016. It will play the previews and menus in English but when the movie starts there is picture but no sound - in English. In French, etc. it plays all the way through the way it should.

What the heck is gong on? I've never encountered anything like this. I tested the movie "Mud". Same thing. Anybody have any ideas
That's going to be down to the AVR not accepting HD audio. (alternate language audio is generally legacy DD).
You can try setting the player to output LPCM instead of bitstream as a work-around.
post #27957 of 28733 Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Thanks rdgrimes. The Marantz is a state of the art preamp which plays all of the current formats. It's got the latest everything.

http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...tId=AV7702mkII

BTW, it play's okay in LPCM.
post #27958 of 28733 Old 04-05-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
[QUOTE=Glashub;42957610]Thanks rdgrimes. The Marantz is a state of the art preamp which plays all of the current formats. It's got the latest everything.

Does it have the latest software upgrade? Website indicates one in March.
post #27959 of 28733 Old 04-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question

Hi folks,
My BDP-93 has been nothing short of spectacular since I set it up a few years ago, running the last available ISO capable FW and have rarely run into any issues. Alas, my luck has run out it seems...

I powered up the unit over the weekend and the front panel display responds, showing the 'Oppo' text and my display shows the 'Oppo' splash screen, however it will not load any discs, no longer recognizes the attached media/usb drives and will not respond to any input requests (selections from remote, selections from front panel buttons, etc.) other than the power off (remote or front panel), it almost seems to enter a 'zombie' state shortly after going through the startup process. I hear the optical drive spin up the disc when one is inserted, but it never fully loads. I've tried a few BDs and DVDs but no difference, also tested with disc removed, it will not load to USB or streaming media page as usual. Other than the power button and the eject button immediately after startup, the unit will not respond at all.

I've disconnected the USB drives, removed the wifi adapter and unplugged the unit for several minutes, then tested again with no success. I have not removed all cables and performed the same test, but that will pretty much be the last resort. I've scoured the FAQs here and exhausted my Google Fu efforts, so if there are any suggestions, I'm more than willing to give them a shot. Thanks in advance... -TD

Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-7 | Yamaha CX-A5000 | Mitsubishi WD-73742 | Epson 5040UB
Boston Acoustics VS 336s, VS 325c, Emotiva ERD-1s (x2) | 15" TC-2000 DIY Sub
Dish Hopper with Sling | Oppo BDP-93 | AppleTV v4 | Roku Ultra
post #27960 of 28733 Old 04-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Give OPPO Tech Support a call. They offer reasonably priced, flat rate service for players out of Warranty.

Do try the test you planned to do with ALL cables disconnected. A faulty HDMI connection, for example, can screw up power in the unit and cause problems. Test with only the power cord connected and see what happens based on the front panel display alone. It is also wise to take the unit to a different room (different wall power circuit), just in case there's a wall power quality issue at its normal location.
--Bob
tomd51 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page