Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 948 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1513Likes

post #28411 of 28715 Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by vld View Post
Equipment involved: BDP-93 and OLED65E7P

Issue: No audio from any disc.
I run an Oppo 93 through an old Marantz NR1601 as hub and audio provider and then into an LG 55C6 OLED and have no issue with audio or video. I can't get Atmos or DTS:X with that AVR, but it doesn't matter to my lead ears (and I'm in transition and using Dolby Headphone output from the AVR anyway and it's perfectly adequate so I may keep the simpler system).

I have Deep Colour disabled in the OLED for that HDMI port as Bluray and lower media is only 8 bit and there's not much point upscaling colour depth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28412 of 28715 Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just noticed a problem today. Have my 93EU connected to Marantz SR6010 and then to LG Oled E6. I recently got a Pan 4k player and that is connected in the same way. For watching in 4K I set the LG Colour Gamut to WIDE. I have today attempted to watch a blu ray using the Oppo but found there was a picture but no sound. Before picture settled down there was a pink screen. This also happened in between viewing trailers. I assumed this was because I had forgotten to change the Colour Gamut on the tv. Did this and "applied to all inputs" but it made no difference. Is there something I'm missing?
post #28413 of 28715 Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fixed. Just read post 28397. Thanks Bob!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28414 of 28715 Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Just to make life more interesting, they sometimes sell HDDs with a hybrid/proprietary MBR formatting that also doesn't work on the Oppo. Usually you see that on 2TB and larger drives.

In Win-7, open manage - disc management. You must "delete the volume", not just a re-format. Once done you can "create a new volume" and one of the first steps will be choosing MBR vs GPT.
Hello again, RD. Happy belated New Year to you.

Well, I went ahead and bought an "older model" of WD My Passport and my OPPO 93 still doesn't like it. It shows the USB icon in the top right corner, but will not recognize what is on it. The main OPPO screen just sits there (no menu).

So I went ahead and deleted the volume using Disc Management, but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to "create a new volume" because my computer no longer recognizes the drive, even though the light from the My Passport is lit.

Any advice? (RD or anyone.)

Thanks,
Eddie
post #28415 of 28715 Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKasica View Post
Hello again, RD. Happy belated New Year to you.

Well, I went ahead and bought an "older model" of WD My Passport and my OPPO 93 still doesn't like it. It shows the USB icon in the top right corner, but will not recognize what is on it. The main OPPO screen just sits there (no menu).

So I went ahead and deleted the volume using Disc Management, but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to "create a new volume" because my computer no longer recognizes the drive, even though the light from the My Passport is lit.

Any advice? (RD or anyone.)

Thanks,
Eddie
If the drive does not show in disc management as "un-allocated space", then its probably a dead drive. Try rebooting the PC with the drive attached.
post #28416 of 28715 Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
If the drive does not show in disc management as "un-allocated space", then its probably a dead drive. Try rebooting the PC with the drive attached.
Yo, RD.

I talked to Mr. Google and found a YT vid that showed me my goof. I was looking for a standard LETTER: drive within disc management, when of course one had yet to be assigned. The My Passport was there waiting, but under a simple Disc #5 (or something like that). Went ahead with your guidance and dontcha know it was the damn MBR/GPT issue! Changed it to MBR, formatted, and now the OPPO loves it. :-)

Thanks very much!

Eddie
wmcclain likes this.
post #28417 of 28715 Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vld View Post
I am having issues with my BDP-93, and for the first time, I'll be [email protected]#$%! if I can figure it out!

Equipment involved: BDP-93 and OLED65E7P

Issue: No audio from any disc.

I have tried several HDMI cables from the BDP-93 to the LG OLED. I have tried resetting the factory defaults of the OPPO and afterwards tried each of the settings under the Audio Format Setup/HDMI Audio setting (Auto, LPCM and Bitstream), still no audio out. I then hooked the BDP-93 up to a Sony LED and low and behold audio!

Additionally, I have a Marantz AV8802A that this blu-ray player was hooked up to before with a Panny Plasma and never had issues. Now in a new house and new OLED display, I have no audio from the BDP-93, even when using two HDMI cables, one going to the OLED for video, and the second going to the AV8802a for audio!

For grins and giggles, I pulled out my OPPO BDP-95 and hooked it up in all of the configurations above, and no audio is produced from it as well!

Any suggestions and or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!
Funny you should say this- But here is what I am experiencing

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this predicament I am in. For starters my equipment is as follows. Sony X93C UHD TV, Yamaha RXA-3070, Oppo 93, Optoma Projector. Now the issue is the Oppo 93 is hooked up to my RX-A3070 via HDMI. The chain goes like this
Oppo HDMI 1 Out----------------------> HDMI 5 on Receivers end. Now the issue is I get a picture but no sound when I am trying to watch a movie on my Sony TV. Now if I turn on the projector I change to HDMI Out 2 on the Receiver I get sound and Picture. HDMI out 1+2 --- No sound. HDMI 1 Out --- No Sound. I am at my wits end trying to get this to work and am failing miserably. I have tried different combinations even using HDMI 2 out of the Oppo and still the same. Even tried direct connection to the TV with Oppo HDMI 2 going out to the receiver for sound and I am not getting anything.
Does anyone know why this occurring. Before anyone says anything the OPPO is setup to Bitstream. Also I have been told this is a known issue by a dealer who managed to fix it but cant recall how. Your help will be much appreciated.

I think you Vld have somewhat they same issue as I have. I also have emailed Oppo waiting for a response and I also pasted the same on the Yamaha 3070 forum, as there has to be a fix for this as was stated by a Yamaha dealer. The problem is he cant remember what he did.
Now I can go out a buy a Oppo UHD player but what's to say this doesn't occur on that player. My Panasonic UHD player has been flawless and no issues. For what its worth I also am waiting for a response from Oppo.

Last edited by CSPerera; 01-31-2018 at 02:01 PM.
post #28418 of 28715 Old 01-31-2018, 02:21 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
^
It does sound like the issue that I ran into.

I did get my issue resolved by resetting all components to defaults, unhooking everything and powering down all components for around 12 hours. Then I added only the BDP-95 to the TV using the BDP-95's HDMI #2 output. After I verified that working, I them moved the Oppo HDMI out to my pre/pro and then the pre/pro out to the OLED. Everything seemed fine so then I added my UDP-203 and rest of my equipment. Haven't had much of an issue since.

Oppo support did indicate that they have a beta firmware for the BDP-95 that will fix the issue. It is not available to download from the Oppo web site.
post #28419 of 28715 Old 01-31-2018, 06:30 PM

Just so people will no mine is the ISO Firmware. Oh well maybe the question is answered. I dont think I will ever know.

Try downloading and installing the latest firmware release (http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP0...X_85-0106B.zip) for your player if you have the North American firmware installed on your player. If you have a receiver that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, then you need this upgraded firmware to address the player not being able to recognize the EDID fields for audio with your receiver.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

post #28420 of 28715 Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Try downloading and installing the latest firmware release (http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP0...X_85-0106B.zip) for your player if you have the North American firmware installed on your player. If you have a receiver that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, then you need this upgraded firmware to address the player not being able to recognize the EDID fields for audio with your receiver.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]

Just tested this Beta firmware tonight and I can confirm that it does fix the no sound issue that i was having when passing through my 4k yamaha receiver to my 4k oled tv.
CSPerera likes this.
post #28421 of 28715 Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't know if this has been answered before. Whenever I play back multichannel music via a USB-connected drive on my BDP-93, it skips a small fraction of the first track. It's like it starts reading the file but the stream is not ready to be sent to the receiver or something. It only happens with multichannel music and I have had the same problem with multichannel SACDs. With stereo music or SACDs it starts playing from the beginning, without skipping. I have set the output to PCM and I think my processor also expects PCM as a priority. I should note that, if during the playback of the first track I skip to the beginning, if starts playing it normally without the skip. It only skips if the playback starts from scratch, not when I rewind. Is it related to some buffering process?

My connections: USB drive -> Oppo -> HDMI -> surround processor -> amp
post #28422 of 28715 Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
I don't know if this has been answered before. Whenever I play back multichannel music via a USB-connected drive on my BDP-93, it skips a small fraction of the first track. It's like it starts reading the file but the stream is not ready to be sent to the receiver or something. It only happens with multichannel music and I have had the same problem with multichannel SACDs. With stereo music or SACDs it starts playing from the beginning, without skipping. I have set the output to PCM and I think my processor also expects PCM as a priority. I should note that, if during the playback of the first track I skip to the beginning, if starts playing it normally without the skip. It only skips if the playback starts from scratch, not when I rewind. Is it related to some buffering process?

My connections: USB drive -> Oppo -> HDMI -> surround processor -> amp

It will likely be the HDMI handshake....other than using the Analogue outputs to prove, I can’t suggest a work around.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #28423 of 28715 Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
It will likely be the HDMI handshake....other than using the Analogue outputs to prove, I can’t suggest a work around.
Thanks. I guess I could try the analogue outs, although it would be a fuss, given how far the player is from the processor. However, why does the handshake delay affect only multichannel audio? Why does it not produce a skip for stereo tracks? Is the handshake more complicated for multichannel music?
post #28424 of 28715 Old 02-20-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joez7700 View Post

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]

Just tested this Beta firmware tonight and I can confirm that it does fix the no sound issue that i was having when passing through my 4k yamaha receiver to my 4k oled tv.
Yep I have installed the Firmware as well and I can attest that it solves all the Issues. If you have a current Yamaha receiver and you are having issues with Sound and also Color Space issues then this firmware solves the lot.
post #28425 of 28715 Old 02-25-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Lightbulb

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I just updated my firmware and the player has not turned itself off yet. It has been a very long time. I hesitate to turn it off manually as I understand this could potentially disable the machine. Any tips?
post #28426 of 28715 Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before. I just updated my firmware and the player has not turned itself off yet. It has been a very long time. I hesitate to turn it off manually as I understand this could potentially disable the machine. Any tips?
What's it say on the front panel?

You've got to pull the plug eventually.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #28427 of 28715 Old 02-25-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
what's it say on the front panel?

You've got to pull the plug eventually.

-bill
Thanks, Bill! It says in all caps:
"ldr ok"
post #28428 of 28715 Old 02-25-2018, 03:52 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post
"ldr ok"
Well, that's cryptic. I say pull the plug and try again.

You might contact OPPO support if you want a second opinion. They'll help you even if the player is out of warranty.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #28429 of 28715 Old 02-25-2018, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Well, that's cryptic. I say pull the plug and try again.

You might contact OPPO support if you want a second opinion. They'll help you even if the player is out of warranty.

-Bill
Thanks again! I will just wait until tomorrow when I can call Oppo. If anyone else has had this happen and can offer anything conclusive in the interim, jump right in.

UPDATE: Tech support at OPPO told me to unplug the player then plug it back in and power it back up. Everything's fine now.

Last edited by GeorgeAB; 03-03-2018 at 06:54 AM.
post #28430 of 28715 Old 03-03-2018, 06:41 AM

Liked: 11
I have a BDP93 with firmware BDP9XAU-74-0908. It plays Blu-ray folders from a USB stick which I find very useful. What I mean by that: I can export my home videos from Adobe Encore directly to a Blu-ray folder on a USB stick, instead of having to burn the same video to a disk.

If I update the firmware, I have read that I will lose the ability to play ISO files, which I have never done anyway (and I'm not sure what that really means).

But… will I still be able to play Blu-ray folders if I upgrade the firmware?
post #28431 of 28715 Old 03-03-2018, 06:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyburns View Post
I have a BDP93 with firmware BDP9XAU-74-0908. It plays Blu-ray folders from a USB stick which I find very useful. What I mean by that: I can export my home videos from Adobe Encore directly to a Blu-ray folder on a USB stick, instead of having to burn the same video to a disk.

If I update the firmware, I have read that I will lose the ability to play ISO files, which I have never done anyway (and I'm not sure what that really means).

But… will I still be able to play Blu-ray folders if I upgrade the firmware?
You can see the ISO status in the FAQ, linked in my signature.

According to my notes BDMV was never officially supported but it did work and was not removed after ISO was turned on then off again.

-Bill

post #28432 of 28715 Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 AM

That's very interesting, Bill.

Looks like I've been wasting a lot of time for the last 4 years trying to find a BDP93 on eBay with old firmware, so that I have a backup BDP93 for playing Blu-ray folders.

So, all BDP93s can play Blu-ray folders, independent of the firmware version?

Is anyone willing to test a Blu-ray folder for me? A 10-second folder, 7MB, can be downloaded here.
post #28433 of 28715 Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyburns View Post
That's very interesting, Bill.

Looks like I've been wasting a lot of time for the last 4 years trying to find a BDP93 on eBay with old firmware, so that I have a backup BDP93 for playing Blu-ray folders.

So, all BDP93s can play Blu-ray folders, independent of the firmware version?

Is anyone willing to test a Blu-ray folder for me? A 10-second folder, 7MB, can be downloaded here.
All the Oppo BD models can play BDMV folders, including the newer 203/205 models. Always have. The 103/105 models might require a AVCHD trick, but it shouldn't be a problem there either.
post #28434 of 28715 Old 03-03-2018, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. The next reasonably-priced BDP93 that comes up on eBay Australia will be mine
Jacob305 likes this.
post #28435 of 28715 Old 03-08-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All the Oppo BD models can play BDMV folders, including the newer 203/205 models.
Even the Oppo 83 can play BDMV folders, but only in FAT32 format, which requires reformatting the BDMV files.

It's also possible to play 3D titles in Oppo 93 and above via BDMV folders, but if you want the folder sizes to remain similar to the ISO file size, you have to delete the individual left eye and right eye extension m2ts files (generally the two largest files with one being about half the size of the other) and leave the ssif files and everything else. I don't think you can play 2D once you do that, but I'm not completely sure.
post #28436 of 28715 Old 03-16-2018, 03:42 PM

I have converted some multichannel music from mkv to flac, using ffmpeg. I wanted to be able to play multichannel albums gaplessly on my Oppo via USB. However, I've noticed that in some albums there are glitches during playback - like a short gap or a pop. These are very few but certainly noticeable. The flacs play perfectly on my laptop ;the glitches happen only during Oppo playback. I don't think it's because of the flac implementation , since for 99.99% of the album it's glitch free. I was planning to compare the playback to the original mkv but I would prefer it if the flac worked flawlessly, since the size is smaller and sometimes the Oppo does not translate the dts-hd stream properly. Has anyone had similar issues?
post #28437 of 28715 Old 03-16-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
The 93/95 series does not offer gapless play of music files at all.
The 103/105 series has gapless play of directly connected APE and WAV files but not FLAC files.
The 203/205 series expands that to include FLAC files.

None of them can play gaplessly over DLNA / UPnP networking.

I play stereo files gaplessly over DLNA/UPnP using my Yamaha RX-A1030, which will do that - but can't play multichannel material over DLNA/UPnP at all, except by knocking them back to stereo.

So I use my Yamaha to play stereo over my network and my 103 to play multichannel FLACs and I console myself with the knowledge that there's very little in the way of multichannel material that's gapless to start with!
shimonmor likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 03-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.
post #28438 of 28715 Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I have converted some multichannel music from mkv to flac, using ffmpeg. I wanted to be able to play multichannel albums gaplessly on my Oppo via USB. However, I've noticed that in some albums there are glitches during playback - like a short gap or a pop. These are very few but certainly noticeable. The flacs play perfectly on my laptop ;the glitches happen only during Oppo playback. I don't think it's because of the flac implementation , since for 99.99% of the album it's glitch free. I was planning to compare the playback to the original mkv but I would prefer it if the flac worked flawlessly, since the size is smaller and sometimes the Oppo does not translate the dts-hd stream properly. Has anyone had similar issues?
I forgot to mention explicitly: I convert the albums to flac as a single file, not as separate tracks, since I don't usually skip between tracks, anyway.
post #28439 of 28715 Old 03-25-2018, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps try a different conversion software like eac3to and see if it makes any difference.

If you are combining different files into a single file, there could be discontinuities that the software decoder handles better than the Oppo decoder.

IIRC eac3to "corrects" audio discontinuities when joining m2ts files, so perhaps it will do the same for the files you are processing.

FLAC was a late support for the Oppo 93 I think, so it may still have bugs that weren't ironed out.

You could still keep FLAC in mkv, but replace the video with a small black video of the same length (Avisynth is good for this) and then make use of the mkv chapters as song separators for easy access.

Last edited by IanD; 03-25-2018 at 02:24 AM.
post #28440 of 28715 Old 03-25-2018, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Odd problem involving the BDP-93

I've had the 93 since it first came out and have been pleased with it's performance. Recently however I bought a new TV (LG OLED C7) and added a new receiver (Anthem MRX-520). The receiver is setup with only two sources (DirecTV and my Blu-ray player). Sound and video is fine for DirectTV but on the Blu-ray I am not getting any audio when all three components are connected (TV, receiver and BDP-93) However, if I turn off the TV then I get sound. I talked to support staff from Anthem, LG, and Oppo and made no progress toward a solution. I have an older Samsung Blu-ray player that was in storage. I replaced the Oppo with it and the Samsung works perfectly. Any ideas why the Oppo is having problems with handling audio and video in my setup?

Now that I have isolated the issue to the Oppo player I think I will revisit this issue with Oppo again see they will be more helpful. I was curious though to see if any other owners out there have seen this issue. I have read through most of this thread and see that there have been reports of audio issues but I don't recall seeing one just like mine. BTW, I do have the most current version of firmware.

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page