Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 949 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1513Likes

post #28441 of 28715 Old 03-25-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by randhat View Post
I've had the 93 since it first came out and have been pleased with it's performance. Recently however I bought a new TV (LG OLED C7) and added a new receiver (Anthem MRX-520). The receiver is setup with only two sources (DirecTV and my Blu-ray player). Sound and video is fine for DirectTV but on the Blu-ray I am not getting any audio when all three components are connected (TV, receiver and BDP-93) However, if I turn off the TV then I get sound. I talked to support staff from Anthem, LG, and Oppo and made no progress toward a solution. I have an older Samsung Blu-ray player that was in storage. I replaced the Oppo with it and the Samsung works perfectly. Any ideas why the Oppo is having problems with handling audio and video in my setup?

Now that I have isolated the issue to the Oppo player I think I will revisit this issue with Oppo again see they will be more helpful. I was curious though to see if any other owners out there have seen this issue. I have read through most of this thread and see that there have been reports of audio issues but I don't recall seeing one just like mine. BTW, I do have the most current version of firmware.

Thanks
Randy
Tell the Oppo support person that you want the firmware that fixes the HDCP 2.2 bug. He should know what you mean. There are a couple other reports of this in this thread not far back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28442 of 28715 Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sounds like this is a known issue. I am surprised that the Oppo tech support person would not have mentioned this to me. Also sounds like this firmware fix is something different than their "official" firmware release....which is what I have. I truly appreciate your input rdgrimes but is odd that I should have to tell Oppo what I need them to do to fix a problem I am having. At the time I talked to Oppo I had not isolated the player as the culprit. I have since sent them an email explaining how the problem was resolved when I replaced the BDP-93 with another player. Hopefully they will give me the information I need to obtain the firmware fix.

Thanks again for your help.

Randy
post #28443 of 28715 Old 03-25-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by randhat View Post
Sounds like this is a known issue. I am surprised that the Oppo tech support person would not have mentioned this to me. Also sounds like this firmware fix is something different than their "official" firmware release....which is what I have. I truly appreciate your input rdgrimes but is odd that I should have to tell Oppo what I need them to do to fix a problem I am having. At the time I talked to Oppo I had not isolated the player as the culprit. I have since sent them an email explaining how the problem was resolved when I replaced the BDP-93 with another player. Hopefully they will give me the information I need to obtain the firmware fix.

Thanks again for your help.

Randy
The link to (what I suspect is) this firmware was posted Jan 31st, so just scroll up and see if it may be what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28444 of 28715 Old 03-25-2018, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, thank you that is exactly what I needed. I did the firmware upgrade and now everything is working fine. Thank you all for your help. I'm a little disappointed in the Oppo support though...
post #28445 of 28715 Old 03-26-2018, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Perhaps try a different conversion software like eac3to and see if it makes any difference.

If you are combining different files into a single file, there could be discontinuities that the software decoder handles better than the Oppo decoder.

IIRC eac3to "corrects" audio discontinuities when joining m2ts files, so perhaps it will do the same for the files you are processing.

FLAC was a late support for the Oppo 93 I think, so it may still have bugs that weren't ironed out.

You could still keep FLAC in mkv, but replace the video with a small black video of the same length (Avisynth is good for this) and then make use of the mkv chapters as song separators for easy access.
Thanks. I will try this. I should mention that at least one of the glitches occurs a few seconds into the first track, so I am not sure discontinuities is the issue. Also, as I said it only happens in one or two albums I have converted. But I will try to downsample the mkv to mkv, instead of flac, just to test. As I mentioned, simply feeding the 192kHz/24bit 5.1 flac resulted in continuous stutter throughout the album, so I had to downsample to 96kHz/24bit.

By the way, I use ffmpeg to convert mkv to flac. Perhaps this causes problems. Do you know if channel mapping remains faithful to the original during this conversion? I certainly don't want any remapping to happen by mistake.
I do the final downsampling with sox, going from the high-rez flac to a lower-rez flac.
post #28446 of 28715 Old 03-26-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
I do the final downsampling with sox, going from the high-rez flac to a lower-rez flac.
The Oppo never has handled mkv perfectly because the studios don't want to encourage copyright infringement.

192kHz/24bit 6 channel is pushing the envelope: have you tried bitstreaming instead of LPCM conversion to see if your AVR handles decoding better than the Oppo?

I'm not sure about mapping, although I do recall that LPCM is mapped differently to compressed audio in Bluray, which causes some confusion when converting between them for storage in a Bluray structure.

An alternative that not many try is to convert the original source into a Bluray structure, retaining the original compressed audio, which is better handled by the Oppo and can have chapters embedded with a continuous file for easier selection.

Eac3to I believe will downsample and convert with a single command. It also tests the file for integrity IIRC.

It is possible that your original extraction process resulted in corruption: I recall when transfering large files with USB under XP it was prone to corrupting the data a little and extracting audio from CD could be suspect.
post #28447 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, looking at a used BDP 93 that is local. He was the original owner and has done all firmware updates and has minimal use. He indicates that it has never had an issue in the time he's had it.

My question is: is this still a relevant player comparing to the newer models of other brands, not of Oppo's own.
post #28448 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack48080 View Post
Hello all, looking at a used BDP 93 that is local. He was the original owner and has done all firmware updates and has minimal use. He indicates that it has never had an issue in the time he's had it.

My question is: is this still a relevant player comparing to the newer models of other brands, not of Oppo's own.
"Relevance" is a subjective calculus. What's the price? Are you interested in 4K UHD BD? This player doesn't play those. Are you interested in 3D and/or SA-CD and/or DVD-A? Are analog outputs important to you? If not on any of that, there are likely less expensive choices.

In any event, I'd get the player serial number, call OPPO and verify/confirm with them what the provenance of the player is before buying.
post #28449 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
"Relevance" is a subjective calculus. What's the price? Are you interested in 4K UHD BD? This player doesn't play those. Are you interested in 3D and/or SA-CD and/or DVD-A? Are analog outputs important to you? If not on any of that, there are likely less expensive choices.

In any event, I'd get the player serial number, call OPPO and verify/confirm with them what the provenance of the player is before buying.
I currently have an Epson 5030UB and 3D is important. Having the ability to play High Quality CD's is a plus. Everything I've heard indicates this is an awesome player. He's selling it for $250. Since he's local, I don't have the fear of shipping and having something shake loose or worse....Dropped!
post #28450 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I currently have an Epson 5030UB and 3D is important. Having the ability to play High Quality CD's is a plus. Everything I've heard indicates this is an awesome player. He's selling it for $250. Since he's local, I don't have the fear of shipping and having something shake loose or worse....Dropped!
You didn't speak to the analog (audio) connectivity issue and I'll assume that everything else I asked about is not so important to you. $250 is an attractive price but that perspective is contingent upon the recent OPPO announcement that they're not making BD players going forward (notwithstanding this latest prevarication/passive-aggressiveness wherein the company is vaguely intimating they will make more 205s to be available this fall). What I mean by that is, absent that announcement, one might speculate that OPPOs on the used market might fall in price (bearing in mind that that largely has not happened since I bought and sold my 93) because some folks feel BD players are less attractive now than, oh, five years ago because of the growth of streaming.

You have a PJ so a quality BD player putting out great PQ is more important than for most. But of course, part of the debate that's raging right now on these and other pages is whether you're getting that great of improvements in PQ compared to less expensive options.

Is your setup CIH? For you, I'd think that things like moveable subtitles is huge. You can't do that with most major brands.

But having said THAT, since you've got a PJ you're better situated than most to take best advantage of 4K UHD BD with HDR . . . so why not "man up" and get a 203 now while you still can? But there is some streaming on the 93; none on the 203.

A very nice ideal if it's in good condition . . . but what if you think you'll embrace 4K in 18 months? LOL. I guess you could always sells the 93 . . . but will 203s be available then . . .?

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 04-09-2018 at 02:20 PM.
post #28451 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked: 8258
^ The OPPO Digital web site now states that more 205 players WILL arrive around June.

There’s a notification sign up list.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28452 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
That's a bit more than average resale at places like eBay. At that price you should get the entire "new" kit, with the original box and bag, remote, cables, etc.
But if all you want is to spin movies and CDs, there are cheaper options.
Paul.R.S likes this.
post #28453 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Coyote Waits

Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The OPPO Digital web site now states that more 205 players WILL arrive around June.

There’s a notification sign up list.
—Bob
Bob, for the past several years, pre Blu-ray, you've been a great help to me. Now you've got me in deep do do.

I'm a happy 93 (ISO capable) owner with a nice 1080p 60" Kuro TV, but I went to Oppo Digital looking for their notification sign up list just encase.

I started at the 203's product page. At one point the page notified me that the 203 was out of stock. One more click and I was presented with an order page. I filled it out, clicked a couple more times and received an email confirming my order. My order???!!!

I checked back ten minutes later and my order was now "Approved. Ready for Fulfillment." I just got back from picking it up in Menlo Park, and I've hidden it under my desk.

What are you going to tell my wife? I never did find the notification sign up list.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #28454 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Bob, for the past several years, pre Blu-ray, you've been a great help to me. Now you've got me in deep do do.

I'm a happy 93 (ISO capable) owner with a nice 1080p 60" Kuro TV, but I went to Oppo Digital looking for their notification sign up list just encase.

I started at the 203's product page. At one point the page notified me that the 203 was out of stock. One more click and I was presented with an order page. I filled it out, clicked a couple more times and received an email confirming my order. My order???!!!

I checked back ten minutes later and my order was now "Approved. Ready for Fulfillment." I just got back from picking it up in Menlo Park, and I've hidden it under my desk.

What are you going to tell my wife? I never did find the notification sign up list.
The Notification Sign-up List is here:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...lastbatch.aspx

I suggest you hide the 203 until your 205 arrives. Explaining 2 players should be be no more difficult than explaining 1.
--Bob
rpitz and mickboy like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28455 of 28715 Old 04-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Notification Sign-up List is here:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...lastbatch.aspx

I suggest you hide the 203 until your 205 arrives. Explaining 2 players should be be no more difficult than explaining 1.
--Bob
Great idea but she knows that my hearing does not justify owning a 205. All's good. I'm taking her to dinner.
gsr likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #28456 of 28715 Old 04-17-2018, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OMG Is there any confirmation that oppo is ceasing production?
https://oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
post #28457 of 28715 Old 04-17-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Plenty.
post #28458 of 28715 Old 04-17-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Wouldn't a page on their website stating as such be confirmation enough?
RichB, gsr, BGLeduc and 1 others like this.
post #28459 of 28715 Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 PM

I didn't see anything here, the only forum I read so I needed confirmation.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
post #28460 of 28715 Old 04-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

The Wake is being held here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...-not-joke.html

--Bob
BGLeduc likes this.

post #28461 of 28715 Old 04-17-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

Yes, but you posted a link to Oppo's announcement page. Straight from the company's mouth. I would think that should be better confirmation than some random person posting on an enthusiasts' forum.
post #28462 of 28715 Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Yes, but you posted a link to Oppo's announcement page. Straight from the company's mouth. I would think that should be better confirmation than some random person posting on an enthusiasts' forum.
I thought it was a bad April fools joke at first since it was dated close. Just a bit shocked as I have 2 units I use daily. One is an ISO streamer and I'm never going to get that replaced. Sad

post #28463 of 28715 Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
I thought it was a bad April fools joke at first since it was dated close. Just a bit shocked as I have 2 units I use daily. One is an ISO streamer and I'm never going to get that replaced. Sad

Yup, there is general consternation over it, but it is true. They are stopping any new products but will continue to support existing ones. For more info, I'd go to that thread.

The news caused me to move up my expected UHD upgrade to at least get a new 203 while they last - it arrived yesterday.
post #28464 of 28715 Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One is an ISO streamer and I'm never going to get that replaced.
ISO capability is not absolutely essential, there are ways around it to still make use of a non-ISO Oppo, albeit with extra effort.

Other players (mainly HTPC) are now also approaching Oppo functionality and quality, so although you won't be able to replace an Oppo ISO streamer with the identical product, the functionality can be replaced.
post #28465 of 28715 Old 04-20-2018, 05:45 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
ISO capability is not absolutely essential, there are ways around it to still make use of a non-ISO Oppo, albeit with extra effort.
You are correct, but it makes 3D blu-ray so much easier!
post #28466 of 28715 Old 04-20-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vld View Post
You are correct, but it makes 3D blu-ray so much easier!
If you mean streaming 3D Bluray, then yes, however direct playback from a <=2TB USB drive will work just as well with a 3D Bluray folder/file structure as an ISO and by deleting the main movie 2D file and it's extension, overall size is similar to that of an ISO (but potentially loses 2D playback).
post #28467 of 28715 Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
If you mean streaming 3D Bluray, then yes, however direct playback from a <=2TB USB drive will work just as well with a 3D Bluray folder/file structure as an ISO and by deleting the main movie 2D file and it's extension, overall size is similar to that of an ISO (but potentially loses 2D playback).
And again, I stated easier, as in you don't have to do any of that.
post #28468 of 28715 Old 04-25-2018, 08:14 PM

I just got this on my TV screen. Never seen this before. ISO fw. What caused it? Disc is from Netflix. The Commuter from Lionsgate.

post #28469 of 28715 Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
I just got this on my TV screen. Never seen this before. ISO fw. What caused it? Disc is from Netflix. The Commuter from Lionsgate.
If you were playing an ISO copy of the Netflix disk then your software failed to remove all of LionsGate's copy protection. This is the wrong thread for this topic.

Click here for threads where you can discuss your problem in detail.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 04-25-2018 at 11:33 PM.
post #28470 of 28715 Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
If you were playing an ISO copy of the Netflix disk then your software failed to remove all of LionGate's copy protection. This is the wrong thread for this topic.

Click here for threads where you can discuss your problem in detail.
I said it was a Netflix disc not a file. Original. I don't make copies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page