Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 950 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1513Likes

post #28471 of 28715 Old 04-25-2018, 11:30 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I said it was a Netflix disc not a file. Original. I don't make copies

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Send it back to Netflix as unplayable. It's a Lionsgate problem.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.

Last edited by htwaits; 04-25-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28472 of 28715 Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I just got this on my TV screen. Never seen this before. ISO fw. What caused it? Disc is from Netflix. The Commuter from Lionsgate.
Spoiler!

Do you have BD Live access turned on? If so, try turning it off and see what happens. I'm wondering why it's giving you a "copyright restrictions" error message instead of just an unrecognized/unplayable disc message.
post #28473 of 28715 Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5782 Post(s)
Liked: 8252
Quote:
I just got this on my TV screen. Never seen this before. ISO fw. What caused it? Disc is from Netflix. The Commuter from Lionsgate.

Remove the disc, Erase Persistent Storage, turn the player Off and back On again, and try the disc again.

If the problem persists, try getting a replacement disc from Netflix. Netflix frequently stocks “Rental Special” versions of discs instead of the Retail versions, and those have a history of being poorly made.

It is also possible, but less likely, that the ISO-capable firmware you have in the OPPO is too old to play this disc. Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support to see if they have any history on this disc.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28474 of 28715 Old 04-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Remove the disc, Erase Persistent Storage, turn the player Off and back On again, and try the disc again.

If the problem persists, try getting a replacement disc from Netflix. Netflix frequently stocks “Rental Special” versions of discs instead of the Retail versions, and those have a history of being poorly made.

It is also possible, but less likely, that the ISO-capable firmware you have in the OPPO is too old to play this disc. Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support to see if they have any history on this disc.
—Bob
I followed your advice. Got it to play but had to start at 2nd chapter, past the error 5min mark. I did notice sound dropouts throughout the movie but I attribute that to this being an Atmos enhanced soundtrack as I have experienced this before. This reminded me of that copy protection cinemavision (?) even though the 93 is void of it.
post #28475 of 28715 Old 04-26-2018, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
I followed your advice. Got it to play but had to start at 2nd chapter, past the error 5min mark. I did notice sound dropouts throughout the movie but I attribute that to this being an Atmos enhanced soundtrack as I have experienced this before. This reminded me of that copy protection cinemavision (?) even though the 93 is void of it.
Cinevia.

Geezer, does the disc surface look pretty good? Maybe the data from the "this disc is legal and everything" section has a scratch over it?

Optical discs read from the center outward, the opposite of LPs, so the inner most ring would be where to look.
post #28476 of 28715 Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to watch a 3D Blu-ray as 2D, using the Oppo 93 and a Panasonic (3D) TV? Unfortunately, my centre speaker is blocking the 3D sensor and I don't watch movies in 3D any more. Also, if it is indeed possible, will it be detrimental to the picture quality, if the 3D movie is played back that way?
Sorry if this has been answered here, before.
post #28477 of 28715 Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to watch a 3D Blu-ray as 2D, using the Oppo 93 and a Panasonic (3D) TV? Unfortunately, my centre speaker is blocking the 3D sensor and I don't watch movies in 3D any more. Also, if it is indeed possible, will it be detrimental to the picture quality, if the 3D movie is played back that way?
You can not force 3D content to play as 2D. Some, but by no means all, 3D discs include the option to play as 2D -- often by just sending out one "eye view". But if the disc doesn't support this itself, the player can not make it happen.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28478 of 28715 Old 05-29-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
Adding to what Bob said: 3D movies are mastered for absolute maximum image luminence. Simply forcing it to 2D will retain the image settings meant for 3D and it can be pretty wonky looking. A 3D movie that's properly mastered should include a separate disc for 2D viewing, or at lease use a different title in the disc navigation that serves up different files.
post #28479 of 28715 Old 06-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but can the BDP-93 read DSD 2.8MHz and DSD 5.6MHz files from a thumbdrive connected via USB? I heard that it cannot do it via ethernet, but wanted to verify via thumbdrive/USB

Thanks!

"Reckon I get me some fried po'taters mmm hmmm"
post #28480 of 28715 Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer View Post
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but can the BDP-93 read DSD 2.8MHz and DSD 5.6MHz files from a thumbdrive connected via USB? I heard that it cannot do it via ethernet, but wanted to verify via thumbdrive/USB

Thanks!
Nope, it cannot. Hardware limitation. DSD64 only.
post #28481 of 28715 Old 06-04-2018, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Nope, it cannot. Hardware limitation. DSD64 only.
Thank you sir!

One last thing, if I do try to play the higher res DSD files, will it down convert them to regular DSD, or will it flat out not recognize or play them?
also,
Is it possible to burn DSD files to a dvd-R and have it play as an SACD, or does it not work that way?

Thanks again!

post #28482 of 28715 Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you sir!

One last thing, if I do try to play the higher res DSD files, will it down convert them to regular DSD, or will it flat out not recognize or play them?
also,
Is it possible to burn DSD files to a dvd-R and have it play as an SACD, or does it not work that way?

Thanks again!
It will ignore DSD128/256 files.

You can burn any media files to a DVD-Rom and the player will treat that as a data disc. The 93 also supports "SACD-R" format, which is a SACD ISO burned to a DVD. I don't know if its possible to create an SACD from scratch. Most folks just use a thumb drive for files.
post #28483 of 28715 Old 06-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It will ignore DSD128/256 files.

You can burn any media files to a DVD-Rom and the player will treat that as a data disc. The 93 also supports "SACD-R" format, which is a SACD ISO burned to a DVD. I don't know if its possible to create an SACD from scratch. Most folks just use a thumb drive for files.
Just for confirmation the BDP-93 can for sure play either from disc or off USB both 192/24 bit .wav and FLACC files, correct?

post #28484 of 28715 Old 06-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Just for confirmation the BDP-93 can for sure play either from disc or off USB both 192/24 bit .wav and FLACC files, correct?
Sure. Although if you're talking about SACD conversions it would be 24/88, which is also supported.
post #28485 of 28715 Old 06-10-2018, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mine just started having a similar problem, though it seems to handle Blu-Rays fine. I hadn't used it in about a year as I have the 203, but just got it out and put a DVD in getting the No Disc error. Then tried a CD and same thing. Then put a Blu-Ray in and it played that, then was able to play the other discs that previously failed. Had the problem again when I tried later, again fixed by playing a Blu-Ray. Will have to keep an eye on it; I've heard there may be something inside the disc drive itself that can be cleaned to fix this.
post #28486 of 28715 Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Vidiot View Post
Mine just started having a similar problem, though it seems to handle Blu-Rays fine. I hadn't used it in about a year as I have the 203, but just got it out and put a DVD in getting the No Disc error. Then tried a CD and same thing. Then put a Blu-Ray in and it played that, then was able to play the other discs that previously failed. Had the problem again when I tried later, again fixed by playing a Blu-Ray. Will have to keep an eye on it; I've heard there may be something inside the disc drive itself that can be cleaned to fix this.
There are two laser lenses in the player. The blue laser is used for Blu-ray. The red laser is used for DVD and CD.

It may be the lenses need cleaning. Or it could be a part of the hardware is failing.

Use the Email Us link on OPPO’s Support page for the player and they can explain your options. They also have reasonably priced flat rate service for players out of Warranty. They’ll clean it and replace anything that needs replacing.
—Bob

post #28487 of 28715 Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
There are two laser lenses in the player. The blue laser is used for Blu-ray. The red laser is used for DVD and CD.

It may be the lenses need cleaning. Or it could be a part of the hardware is failing.

Use the Email Us link on OPPO’s Support page for the player and they can explain your options. They also have reasonably priced flat rate service for players out of Warranty. They’ll clean it and replace anything that needs replacing.
—Bob
I'll have to devise a mental trick to remember the color of the laser used for Blu-ray

- Rich
gsr and geeman503 like this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #28488 of 28715 Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I'll have to devise a mental trick to remember the color of the laser used for Blu-ray

- Rich
Well, CDs are Red Book, so that helps. I don't know about the other one.

-Bill
RichB and gsr like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #28489 of 28715 Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a question regarding the IR sensor input (3.5mm jack) on the back of my BDP-95. I assume it is the same as a 93 so I'm posting here so maybe I can get a wider audience.

I have a Luxman TP-117 which has a "serial remote output" 3.5mm jack on the back of it. It appears to just pass through the remote codes to a Luxman CDP as when I taught a remote to take over for the TP-117's original remote, the CD player control codes were the same off the TP-117's remote and the CDP's remote. However it will not control the BDP-95 even when using the Oppo's original remote. There is some kind of signal being passed over the cable, but the Oppo is not recognizing it.

I could conceivably use an IR blaster, if I could find one that would be compatible with the TP-117, but I'd prefer to keep it neater if possible.

Does anyone know the specifications of what kind of signal the "IR Input" jack is looking for?

I'm asking because there was a comment made on the JP1 forums when I asked about this "The IR in jack on the Oppo is wired in a somewhat non-standard fashion. It is all to be found in the documentation." However I have not been able to find a BDP-9x service manual and I am not familiar with this kind of implementation at all so I don't know what is standard and what is not.

I really would like to use the BDP-95 with this preamp so I have SACD functionality and also my Luxman CD player is no longer functional. Using the remote sensor built into the BDP-95 is only an option so long as I do not want to use the Zone 2 functionality of the TP-117; and I just like making stuff work "right."
post #28490 of 28715 Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
I have a question regarding the IR sensor input (3.5mm jack) on the back of my BDP-95. I assume it is the same as a 93 so I'm posting here so maybe I can get a wider audience.
Page 22 of the PDF manual.
post #28491 of 28715 Old 06-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Page 22 of the PDF manual.
I saw that but am wondering if the reason it's not working with the Luxman is a protocol issue or an amplitude issue. Any idea what the amplitude of the Oppo IR remote receiver's output would be?
post #28492 of 28715 Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I saw that but am wondering if the reason it's not working with the Luxman is a protocol issue or an amplitude issue. Any idea what the amplitude of the Oppo IR remote receiver's output would be?
Make sure that your stereo 1/8" plug is wired correct according to the manual. Otherwise just email Oppo Support and they can help.
post #28493 of 28715 Old 06-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I have a question regarding the IR sensor input (3.5mm jack) on the back of my BDP-95. ."
In a nutshell I suspect the Luxman uses its own, brand specific protocol and the Oppo uses "pass along whatever IR flash pulse is received by a generic IR eye and processing brain system". Since they won't play together nicely you need to buy an outboard system which (hopefully) talks to both. Example of a basic package to get you started. [I suspect a direct 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug connection from this brain to the Oppo will work however talking to the Luxman may require an IR emitter affixed to its front panel and keep in mind the Luxman only receives commands from this system it does not send commands.]
post #28494 of 28715 Old 06-11-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
In a nutshell I suspect the Luxman uses its own, brand specific protocol and the Oppo uses "pass along whatever IR flash pulse is received by a generic IR eye and processing brain system". Since they won't play together nicely you need to buy an outboard system which (hopefully) talks to both. Example of a basic package to get you started. [I suspect a direct 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug connection from this brain to the Oppo will work however talking to the Luxman may require an IR emitter affixed to its front panel and keep in mind the Luxman only receives commands from this system it does not send commands.]
Actually the TP-117 does have the facility to run an IR repeater, but it's not the kind we'd use today, it uses an F-connector and it's a box, not a little stick on bug. Am wondering if it would be easy enough to just buy an IR repeater, try it in the 3.5mm jack, and if that doesn't work, splice on an F-connector and try it on that connection. (or maybe make an F connector to 3.5mm cord and that might work?) I do have one of the accessory Luxman branded IR receivers but not the repeater.

I tried looking at the TP-117 schematics (on HFE) and it looks like the F-connector is taken directly from the IR inputs of the built in sensor and the F-cnnectors for the auxiliary IR receiver inputs, through a couple op-amps, so that may work better. The 3.5mm jack looks like it goes through a chip so that may be why that's not working.

I just wish I knew what the Oppo was looking for, besides "signal on tip"
post #28495 of 28715 Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

I tried to plug a 3TB external hard drive into the BDP-93's USB port, but the home button shows like nothing's connected. I can put the same hard drive on my router via it's USB connection and the Oppo then sees it on the network. I prefer to have the HD connected directly to the Oppo since I get playback issues when connected to the router. Anyone know if a way around this? BTW...The USB works fine with a thumb drive. Does this have to do with the file system type? I think thumb drives are typically FAT, while externals are NTFS, but not sure if that is the the issue and could be re-formatted to a FAT file system or not...

Thanks

post #28496 of 28715 Old 06-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I tried to plug a 3TB external hard drive into the BDP-93's USB port, but the home button shows like nothing's connected. I can put the same hard drive on my router via it's USB connection and the Oppo then sees it on the network. I prefer to have the HD connected directly to the Oppo since I get playback issues when connected to the router. Anyone know if a way around this? BTW...The USB works fine with a thumb drive. Does this have to do with the file system type? I think thumb drives are typically FAT, while externals are NTFS, but not sure if that is the the issue and could be re-formatted to a FAT file system or not...

Thanks
Both the method of Partitioning the drive and the file system formatted onto the Partition you are using are important.

If you've been using that Hard Drive on a Mac, it is likely Partitioned and Formatted for the Mac file system, which the 93 does not support.

Re-partition the drive using the older style MBR (Master Boot Record) Partitioning method. That supports only up to 2TB per Partition, so you will need at least two Partitions on the drive (which will look like separate disk drives). Then try Formatting those as NTFS. (FAT will limit your max file size too much.)

See Bill's FAQ for the 93 for more details:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html

--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-24-2018 at 10:18 AM.
post #28497 of 28715 Old 06-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I tried to plug a 3TB external hard drive into the BDP-93's USB port,
I'm pretty sure there is a 2TB limit. My WD 4TB Passports don't work but my 2TB one does on my 93.

All are single partition NTFS.
post #28498 of 28715 Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Re-partition the drive using the older style MBR (Master Boot Record) Partitioning method. That supports only up to 2TB per Partition, so you will need at least two Partitions on the drive (which will look like separate disk drives). Then try Formatting those as NTFS. (FAT will limit your max file size too much.)
Bob, must correct this I'm afraid.

MBR partitioning supports a maximum usable drive size of 2TB, as well as a maximum partition size of 2TB. No matter what size partition you allocate and no matter whether you allocate more than one, MBR does not support all of the space available on a drive larger than 2TB using MBR. Anything allocated over 2TB will simply not be usable.

Only GPT partitioning supports drives and partitions larger than 2TB. I don't know if the 93 supports GPT, but theoretically you would have to partition using GPT if you wanted to utilze a drive > 2TB.
post #28499 of 28715 Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

MBR partitioning supports a maximum usable drive size of 2TB, as well as a maximum partition size of 2TB. No matter what size partition you allocate and no matter whether you allocate more than one, MBR does not support all of the space available on a drive larger than 2TB using MBR. Anything allocated over 2TB will simply not be usable.

Only GPT partitioning supports drives and partitions larger than 2TB. I don't know if the 93 supports GPT, but theoretically you would have to partition using GPT if you wanted to utilze a drive > 2TB.

The 93 does not support GPT, only MBR. 2TB is the limit for the 93.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
post #28500 of 28715 Old 06-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Yes, thanks. 2TB limit on the 93.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page