Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 955 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1513Likes

post #28621 of 28715 Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
The bottom line is whether ISO support is still required.
If you have a vast collection of titles in ISO format, there's no question whether ISO support is required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28622 of 28715 Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
Understood. Thanks!

Perhaps I should have made my sentence clearer:
"Unfortunately, my centre speaker is blocking the *transmitter to the active 3D glasses on the TV* and *because of that* I *can't* watch movies in 3D any more." That's why I was asking if I could watch a 3D-only disc as 2D, via some on-the-fly conversion process by the player and/or TV. There are numerous 3D blu-rays that do not give the menu option of 2D playback. If the conversion is done externally, by the player or TV, does this have a detrimental effect on the picture quality?

Thanks
3D releases are supposed to have video parameters that are considerably boosted. Such as contrast and color. This compensates for the 50% loss of luminence when displaying 3D. You can watch it in 2D, which amounts to just watching the frames for one eye, but it may not look as the filmmaker intended. A properly mastered movie should have separate discs for 2D and 3D for this reason, or at least separate files on the disc for the 2 versions. So its better to watch whatever is offered for 2D viewing.
post #28623 of 28715 Old 12-20-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If you have a vast collection of titles in ISO format, there's no question whether ISO support is required.
It's also easy to convert ISO to folder/files structure, albeit time consuming, although I'm sure it could be automated with a batch script. However, I could understand those with a vast collection not wanting to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28624 of 28715 Old 12-20-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
3D releases are supposed to have video parameters that are considerably boosted. Such as contrast and color. This compensates for the 50% loss of luminence when displaying 3D. You can watch it in 2D, which amounts to just watching the frames for one eye, but it may not look as the filmmaker intended. A properly mastered movie should have separate discs for 2D and 3D for this reason, or at least separate files on the disc for the 2 versions. So its better to watch whatever is offered for 2D viewing.
I have always thought it better to leave the compensation for 3D up to the display device, so that it is consistent across titles: there are still many 3D titles that allow 2D or 3D play from the one disc and I don't believe it is possible to have two separate versions on that disc with different luminance and colour values as the second eye view for 3D already takes up an extra 50% of the disc space used for 2D. It could probably be done now with UHD discs encoded as 3D.

I agree that the studios should have consistently released separate Bluray discs for 2D and 3D to enable different characteristics, but that boat has already sailed.

I think the next iteration of 3D should be glassless using a similar principle to Ultra-D, whereby a powerful processor calculates 3D on the fly from hints in the source material (which can include existing 2D and 3D titles) and thus extend the useful lifespan of the excellent Oppo players. It would be an ideal application for 8K displays which otherwise won't look much better than existing 4K displays.
post #28625 of 28715 Old 12-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I hope this post is allowed... Owned the 93 for years but now I want to upgrade to a 4K player. Since the next generation Oppo is discontinued, I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a player that I would be happy with. I usually stick to the top end model & prefer a Sony but don't know where to start. Just bought a new Samsung 82" so I want the best (within reason).
Any help would be appreciated as I don't know of any forum members & would trust more than most of you guys.
Happy New Year & I will be keeping my 93 ISO for obvious reasons.
post #28626 of 28715 Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I hope this post is allowed... Owned the 93 for years but now I want to upgrade to a 4K player. Since the next generation Oppo is discontinued, I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a player that I would be happy with. I usually stick to the top end model & prefer a Sony but don't know where to start. Just bought a new Samsung 82" so I want the best (within reason).
Any help would be appreciated as I don't know of any forum members & would trust more than most of you guys.
This is best discussed in the help me choose a player thread, but I think the general consensus is that the Panasonic players are the best alternative to Oppo at this time.
htwaits and Geezer like this.
post #28627 of 28715 Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I went with the Panasonic DP-UB820 and the picture/clarity presentation is amazing on my PQ65, have no regrets and also it does amazing upscaling of the standard Blu-Rays.
I am also keeping my Oppo-93 for its music capabilities not the Video, the latter belongs to the 820.
Geezer likes this.

Denon AVR- X4200W, Boston A7200 Amp,
SVS MTS-01, SVS MCS-01 , Polk FXi50 Surrounds, SVS 20-39plus (2)
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DP-UB820P-K, Apple 4K TV
Vizio PQ65-F1
My DVD Collection
post #28628 of 28715 Old 12-30-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteran View Post
I went with the Panasonic DP-UB820 and the picture/clarity presentation is amazing on my PQ65, have no regrets and also it does amazing upscaling of the standard Blu-Rays.
I am also keeping my Oppo-93 for its music capabilities not the Video, the latter belongs to the 820.
Well I just ordered the Sony UBPX1000ES. It will be here Monday.
post #28629 of 28715 Old 12-30-2018, 04:32 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Well I just ordered the Sony UBPX1000ES. It will be here Monday.
Best wishes with the Sony. But I'm left a bit puzzled why someone would ask for advice, get the same answer from 2 people, and then go with a completely different option...
post #28630 of 28715 Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Best wishes with the Sony. But I'm left a bit puzzled why someone would ask for advice, get the same answer from 2 people, and then go with a completely different option...
Don't want to get in too much detail as I was already redirected to another forum, but I spent hours reading the reviews on the 2 & chose the Sony. It fits my needs better. Thanks.
post #28631 of 28715 Old 12-31-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Don't want to get in too much detail as I was already redirected to another forum, but I spent hours reading the reviews on the 2 & chose the Sony. It fits my needs better. Thanks.
Extra bonus the Sony fits perfectly on top of the Oppo. Now I am overwhelmed with choices as I have a large collection of DVD Audio discs and Super audio CD. I also stream from my NAS. Better to have too many choices than not enough? Happy New Year

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_205146_1546318913290.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	2503642  

Last edited by Geezer; 12-31-2018 at 09:02 PM.
post #28632 of 28715 Old 01-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Hey All -

Just moved to a new home, and connected my BDP-93 to my Marantz 8802A via HDMI. I noticed something that is new behavior, and did not occur previously. Blu-Rays produce video, but no audio over HDMI. The behavior repeated when I switched inputs. It went away when I connected an optical cable between the Oppo and the Marantz. Can someone tell me what is probably going on here, and is it the Oppo or how my Marantz processor's input is configured?

What else should I try to narrow down what's going on here?
post #28633 of 28715 Old 01-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post
Hey All -

Just moved to a new home, and connected my BDP-93 to my Marantz 8802A via HDMI. I noticed something that is new behavior, and did not occur previously. Blu-Rays produce video, but no audio over HDMI. The behavior repeated when I switched inputs. It went away when I connected an optical cable between the Oppo and the Marantz. Can someone tell me what is probably going on here, and is it the Oppo or how my Marantz processor's input is configured?

Eiger--

My first suggestion would be to try another cable. Perhaps something happened to it in your move?
post #28634 of 28715 Old 01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Hey All -

There is a link below that will take you to an Oppo firmware update for your BDP-93 that will fix your no-audio problem. I had the same problem several months back and this is what Oppo provided me for the fix.

"If you recently upgraded your receiver to one that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, then you will need to upgrade your player's firmware. This firmware can be downloaded off of our website, and then extracted to a FAT formatted USB drive.

download.oppodigital.com/BDP0903/BDP9X_85-0106B.zip

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4

Last edited by LCSeminole; 01-01-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #28635 of 28715 Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Hey All -

Read back a couple pages in this thread, about the HDCP-2.2 issue with the 93. The linked firmware will get you going again but you will lose ISO support if you were using that.
post #28636 of 28715 Old 01-02-2019, 02:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just moved to a new home, and connected my BDP-93 to my Marantz 8802A via HDMI. Blu-Rays produce video, but no audio over HDMI.
If it was all working previously and you haven't changed the display, then is it possible you accidentally connected the wrong HDMI output from the Oppo? There are 2 HDMI outputs with different characteristics and easy to confuse them if you haven't had to use them in a while.
post #28637 of 28715 Old 01-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If it was all working previously and you haven't changed the display, then is it possible you accidentally connected the wrong HDMI output from the Oppo? There are 2 HDMI outputs with different characteristics and easy to confuse them if you haven't had to use them in a while.
Quote:
Read back a couple pages in this thread, about the HDCP-2.2 issue with the 93. The linked firmware will get you going again but you will lose ISO support if you were using that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
There is a link below that will take you to an Oppo firmware update for your BDP-93 that will fix your no-audio problem. I had the same problem several months back and this is what Oppo provided me for the fix.

"If you recently upgraded your receiver to one that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, then you will need to upgrade your player's firmware. This firmware can be downloaded off of our website, and then extracted to a FAT formatted USB drive.

download.oppodigital.com/BDP0903/BDP9X_85-0106B.zip

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

Great feedback guys. Any of these are possible reasons I'm having issues. Yes, going to make sure I'm connected to the correct HDMI out as well!My firmware is likely pretty old.
post #28638 of 28715 Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Coyote Waits

Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
That only blocks downgrading from official firmware. You can always go back to the previous official firmware from a beta.

But when I downloaded this new firmware and tried to install it via USB the 93 declared it to be corrupt - after two download attempts, I gave up.

I did notice that unlike the prior official upgrade, which had three files in the UPG folder, this one only had two.
Quote:
Its been a few years since this was discussed ad nauseum. The process for reverse flashing the 93 is widely available. But the bottom line still remains: if you need ISO support do not flash the new firmware.
I recently configured our system to use the OPPO 203 and HDMI IN to process steams from Xfinity Cable, Roku 3, and the OPPO 93 for ISO files. I have almost all of our shinny discs in ISO files. Basically everything worked with our Denon 3312 CI.

Then I bought the Denon X3400H and a Roku Ultra. I've got that working too, but I hadn't tried the OPPO 93 through the new AVR. With it in a direct HDMI connection to the AVR or as an input to the 203's HDMI IN the OPPO 93 does "ON" and "OFF" and pretty much nothing else. I've tested it connected directly to the TV and it works normally for disks or for ISO.

It's as if the signal going to the AVR's HDMI input is killing the 93.

There isn't much reason to keep the 93 if I can't pass it through the 203 for scaling.

I would like to check out converting our current ISO files or the disks to something that will play on the 203, but I would do it only on an as needed basis each time I wanted to view something from our collection. Like ISO, an effective kill effort is always possible. I'm 85 now so an effective backup system may be time prohibitive.

The older AVR has only been out of the system for two days so that may be that's something else to explore. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #28639 of 28715 Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I recently configured our system to use the OPPO 203 and HDMI IN to process steams from Xfinity Cable, Roku 3, and the OPPO 93 for ISO files. I have almost all of our shinny discs in ISO files. Basically everything worked with our Denon 3312 CI.

Then I bought the Denon X3400H and a Roku Ultra. I've got that working too, but I hadn't tried the OPPO 93 through the new AVR. With it in a direct HDMI connection to the AVR or as an input to the 203's HDMI IN the OPPO 93 does "ON" and "OFF" and pretty much nothing else. I've tested it connected directly to the TV and it works normally for disks or for ISO.

It's as if the signal going to the AVR's HDMI input is killing the 93.

There isn't much reason to keep the 93 if I can't pass it through the 203 for scaling.
Set the Oppo 203's HDMI input for 1080p and Bob's yer uncle. DVD and BD ISO files are all good as long as you use the older firmware on the 93.
post #28640 of 28715 Old 01-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Updated firmware, we are now golden with sound back.

However, I am unable to send a DTS-MA signal on one of my movies however. Player is set to bitstream, so not sure what the issue is here.
post #28641 of 28715 Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Updated firmware, we are now golden with sound back.

However, I am unable to send a DTS-MA signal on one of my movies however. Player is set to bitstream, so not sure what the issue is here.
Just the one movie and it works for others? Have you checked to make sure it's the blu-ray and not the dvd? (It happens.)
post #28642 of 28715 Old 01-03-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Thumbs up Third time was the charm!

Downloaded the new beta for compatibility with newer HDMI inputs a third time, extracted it to my thumb drive, and this time the 93 installed it without complaint.

To quote Commander Peter Quincy Taggart of the NSEA Protector, "Never give up. Never surrender."

(Don't have it hitched up to a device that needs this upgrade, but you never know what the future will bring.)

PS The download still has only two files instead of the three in official public firmware, but that didn't interfere this time.

Last edited by Philnick; 01-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.
post #28643 of 28715 Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Set the Oppo 203's HDMI input for 1080p and Bob's yer uncle. DVD and BD ISO files are all good as long as you use the older firmware on the 93.
Thanks. That's what I was using before the Roku Ultra arrived. Do you happen to know if it's possible to come up with commands to do that on the go with a Harmony Elite activity?

If that isn't easy to do, I can think of another work around that would be simpler than changing the HDMI input manually. That would be going back to my original HDMI IN list of Xfinity, Roku 3 for non HDR streaming, and OPPO 93 for ISO DVD and Blu-ray. The Roku Ultra would go directly to the AVR for HDR streaming.

Thanks for the history of helping that this thread is famous for.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #28644 of 28715 Old 01-07-2019, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Then I bought the Denon X3400H and a Roku Ultra.
Backwards compatability of UHD equipment does not seem to be that great with the new HDMI and HDCP.

Sometimes I think that 1080p equipment should be retained as a system and UHD equipment added as a separate system, with audio extracted and sent to the primary AVR. It's messier though but should be functional if the AVR supports the audio codecs you want.

HDMI is an end-to-end protocol, so plugging an Oppo 93 into an Oppo 203 must still honour that convention through the HDMI chain and there are now 4 separate devices in the chain that need to coexist with an upgraded HDCP and HDMI protocol.

It's easy to convert an ISO file into its internal structure: simply mount the ISO and copy the contents of that "drive" to a named folder on another physical drive. The only problem is with 3D ISO, which creates a folder double the size of the ISO (but you can delete the movie m2ts file and its m2ts extension file and still play the folder as 3D, but not sure if 2D playback is retained). Alternatively, I think Winrar and makemkv might open ISO and save to folder/files. Additionally, it's possible to convert 3D to mkv with some software which retains the 3D structure but requires a player that understands it. There would undoubtedly be commandline versions that could be run in batch over a full drive.
post #28645 of 28715 Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:

Sometimes I think that 1080p equipment should be retained as a system and UHD equipment added as a separate system, with audio extracted and sent to the primary AVR. It's messier though but should be functional if the AVR supports the audio codecs you want.
Right now I have the OPPO 203 connected to the AVR's HDMI2 and the Roku Ultra connected to the AVR's HDMI3. As far as I can tell for HDR sources they are working fine. The HDMI chain for each of them is TV, AVR, OPPO 203 or TV, AVR, Roku Ultra.

Quote:
HDMI is an end-to-end protocol, so plugging an Oppo 93 into an Oppo 203 must still honour that convention through the HDMI chain and there are now 4 separate devices in the chain that need to coexist with an upgraded HDCP and HDMI protocol.
When viewing 1080P or lower source material the HDMI chains seem to be behaving in the following way when the OPPO 203 HDMI IN port is used.

1. TV, AVR, OPPO 203 HDMI IN, Switch 1, Cable Box
2. TV, AVR, OPPO 203 HDMI IN, Switch 2, Roku 3
3. TV, AVR, OPPO 203 HDMI IN, Switch 3, OPPO 93

The OPPO 203 has HDMI IN set to 1080p.

This may not be the way the end to end protocol actually works but I see it as three independent 1080p end to end strings. All the cables in this setup are Premium Certified with the magic label.

Quote:
It's easy to convert an ISO file into its internal structure: simply mount the ISO and copy the contents of that "drive" to a named folder on another physical drive.
Do you mean mount the drive containing an ISO file?

Quote:
The only problem is with 3D ISO, which creates a folder double the size of the ISO (but you can delete the movie m2ts file and its m2ts extension file and still play the folder as 3D, but not sure if 2D playback is retained).
I don't do 3D so can I ignore this problem?

Quote:
Alternatively, I think Winrar and makemkv might open ISO and save to folder/files.
Are Winrar and Makemkv available for download?

Quote:
Additionally, it's possible to convert 3D to mkv with some software which retains the 3D structure but requires a player that understands it. There would undoubtedly be command line versions that could be run in batch over a full drive.
Skipping 3D, I'm most likely to make new copies of my backup movies on a need to watch basis. So far there are very few of them that anyone but me wants to see again.

Thanks very much for the information. I hope I haven't misunderstood too much of it.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 01-07-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #28646 of 28715 Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Hi all,

Has anybody experienced specific discs not playing on their BDP-93?

Reason I ask is I bought the Mission Impossible collection on blu-ray a couple of weeks ago, and while trying to watch the third movie, it simply wouldn't load past the Paramount loading screen.
Popped the disc into my PS4 and it played fine.

First time I've seen the 93 not playing a disc of mine...

Thanks

P.S.: this is the movie collection I mentioned: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Missi...lu-ray/211427/

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #28647 of 28715 Old 01-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Hi all,

Has anybody experienced specific discs not playing on their BDP-93?

Reason I ask is I bought the Mission Impossible collection on blu-ray a couple of weeks ago, and while trying to watch the third movie, it simply wouldn't load past the Paramount loading screen.
Popped the disc into my PS4 and it played fine.

First time I've seen the 93 not playing a disc of mine...

Thanks

P.S.: this is the movie collection I mentioned: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Missi...lu-ray/211427/
Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support to see if they have history on that disc. You can use the Email Us link on OPPO's Support page for the player.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28648 of 28715 Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support to see if they have history on that disc. You can use the Email Us link on OPPO's Support page for the player.
--Bob
Agreed and also if the very first disc to exhibit a playback issue is a brand new release from Dec 2018 it would suggest there's something amiss with the disc, not the Oppo, although a firmware update may correct the issue.
post #28649 of 28715 Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Agreed and also if the very first disc to exhibit a playback issue is a brand new release from Dec 2018 it would suggest there's something amiss with the disc, not the Oppo, although a firmware update may correct the issue.
My 93 is running a ISO enabled firmware version and it's never failed to play a disk that wasn't needing to be cleaned or that was damaged via Netflix. I even bought a back up Sony Blu-ray player as backup. I finely put the Sony in my parts box.

It could be firmware but that would be low on my list. If OPPO has no record of trouble with that disk I would give it a good mild detergent bath and micro fiber wipe.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #28650 of 28715 Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
My 93 is running a ISO enabled firmware version and it's never failed to play a disk that wasn't needing to be cleaned or that was damaged via Netflix. I even bought a back up Sony Blu-ray player as backup. I finely put the Sony in my parts box.

It could be firmware but that would be low on my list. If OPPO has no record of trouble with that disk I would give it a good mild detergent bath and micro fiber wipe.
I have that movie waiting to be played from Netflix. I also have the old ISO FW & had only one unplayable disc in all this time. I will report back when I watch it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page