Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 958 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1513Likes

post #28711 of 28719 Old 05-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
MBR partition and NTFS filesystem is the most workable combination for drives with the Oppo 93 (MBR and FAT32 for the Oppo 83).

I think you have forgotten the Oppo 93 is no speed demon when it comes to navigation, but it does its job generally without fuss for supported media.

Depending on what files you had on the 32GB, the Oppo only has a limited range of codec and container support.
Thanks IanD, that fixed it. Can't believe I've only got one 'portable' drive that's MBR but there you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28712 of 28719 Old 05-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I've piggy backed an old BDP-93 to my Oppo UDP-203 via HDMI.

Playing music videos (BD and DVD) from an attached HDD which I've formatted the way the BDP-93 likes it (MBR NTFS - thanks IanD). HDD is 2TB.

When I play movies with ATMOS track (and I've only got one - Roger Waters The Wall) I get drop outs in the audio. Same happens when I play the disc in the BDP-93.

Can the BDP-93 play ATMOS tracks and if so should it work in this setup: Oppo BDP-93>Oppo UDP-203>Denon AVR6300>LG OLED 65" B6

Also posted in UDP-203 thread.

Cheers
post #28713 of 28719 Old 05-26-2019, 05:08 PM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
I've piggy backed an old BDP-93 to my Oppo UDP-203 via HDMI.

Playing music videos (BD and DVD) from an attached HDD which I've formatted the way the BDP-93 likes it (MBR NTFS - thanks IanD). HDD is 2TB.

When I play movies with ATMOS track (and I've only got one - Roger Waters The Wall) I get drop outs in the audio. Same happens when I play the disc in the BDP-93.

Can the BDP-93 play ATMOS tracks and if so should it work in this setup: Oppo BDP-93>Oppo UDP-203>Denon AVR6300>LG OLED 65" B6

Also posted in UDP-203 thread.

Cheers
You may want to try other Atmos discs before assuming it is Atmos related. The 93 suffers from drop outs on audio with certain “audio complex branching”. It can play Atmos (if authored on the disc normally). I’ll assume the same disc worked ok in the 203....

Do a search on that phrase for more info....my memory is sketchy now (moved the 93 on).

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28714 of 28719 Old 05-26-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

Actually wmcclaim provided a solution before me: I just rephrased it, so thanks should go to him.

IIRC, the Oppo 93 can experience dropouts on bitstreamed lossless audio codecs if the title has complex seamless branching: this is fixed by outputting multichannel PCM from the Oppo instead of bitstream. Unfortunately, outputting PCM strips the metadata that Atmos uses, so it isn't a solution for titles where you want Atmos audio.

I believe the Oppo 103/5 doesn't have the issue and I would suspect the Oppo 203/5 also has the issue fixed.

The problem with daisychaining an Oppo 93 and an Oppo 203 is that the problem is with the Oppo 93 and will be propagated into the 203.

If you have an Atmos title in official disc format, I would suggest playing it on the Oppo 203 directly. All bets are off for playing files from USB drives via the Oppo 93.

A cynic might suggest that the Atmos issues play into the hands of the studios who have ensured great difficulty in playing what they see as copyright infringing files on later, more compatible players, leaving only the earlier players such as the 93 which coincidentally have issues with certain titles and thus playback problems: a catch-22 situation for the consumer wanting flexibility.

However, since the Atmos issue is related to complex seamless branching, a workaround would be to obtain a file that had seamless branching removed whilst still keeping the Atmos metadata: the Oppo 93 should have no problem with bitstreaming such a file (were it obtainable).

Last edited by IanD; 05-26-2019 at 11:41 PM.
post #28715 of 28719 Old 05-27-2019, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtblair View Post
Has anyone tried the DLNA features of the 93 regarding HD audio and full bit-rate mkv (20-40GB) files? The 83 would not bitstream any HD audio (TrueHD or DTS_MA) over DLNA.
The advantage of the BDP-93 is that it can do things like Noise Reduction. This is important for some Blu-ray titles which are older catalog releases which received no remastering. The "Tommy Boy" and "Home Alone" type releases will look better on the BDP-93 as you can remove some of the inherent noise in these poor releases.
post #28716 of 28719 Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok, had my OPPO 93 for a while and still have the ISO firmware on - just updated my receiver from a Marantz sr7008 to a sr6013 to get HDR 4k/60 and ATMOS and now it seems I'm having the HDCP hand shake issue that I see others have experienced. I really want to keep the ISO playback so I don't want to change the firmware just yet (I know the folder/files will still work) - so has any one actually used a HDfury device to circumvent the HDCP issues with HDCP 2.2 compliant devices? If so which one? I'm looking for the cheapest way to play my regular Blu-ray rips and discs. I dusted off my Pioneer bdp-150 that I purchased about 6 yrs ago as a backup ISO player that's still plays good but I like the OPPO better.

Thanks
jidleite
post #28717 of 28719 Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3799 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
Ok, had my OPPO 93 for a while and still have the ISO firmware on - just updated my receiver from a Marantz sr7008 to a sr6013 to get HDR 4k/60 and ATMOS and now it seems I'm having the HDCP hand shake issue that I see others have experienced. I really want to keep the ISO playback so I don't want to change the firmware just yet (I know the folder/files will still work) - so has any one actually used a HDfury device to circumvent the HDCP issues with HDCP 2.2 compliant devices? If so which one? I'm looking for the cheapest way to play my regular Blu-ray rips and discs. I dusted off my Pioneer bdp-150 that I purchased about 6 yrs ago as a backup ISO player that's still plays good but I like the OPPO better.

Thanks
jidleite
Have you searched this thread for HDFury? I thought it had been discussed as a possible solution. I just feed the 93 into my BDP-203, and that works.
post #28718 of 28719 Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Have you searched this thread for HDFury? I thought it had been discussed as a possible solution. I just feed the 93 into my BDP-203, and that works.

I call myself doing so but the last few days my brain has been in overload reading threads on setting up an Epson 5040ub, a ub820, the sr6013 and now this. I saw some mention of possibly trying a HDfury device but I don't recall anyone officially saying it actually works. I'll search again...

Thanks,
jidelite
post #28719 of 28719 Old 08-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post

Thanks
jidleite

I purchased a HDFury DR HDMI 4k and I can confirm that this has resolved all my HDCP 2.2 issues with sound.

jidelite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page