Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 961 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1530Likes

post #28801 of 28812 Old 06-07-2020, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a BDP-93 manufactured in 11-2010, before the device was officially released. It is running the very first firmware release, BDP-93x 33-1216. Obviously, it will run ISO files. Is there any interest in such a device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28802 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I decided to update the firmware on my BDP-93 (it has been unused since I got my 203) so I hooked it up to another TV to update to the most recent version. Quickly realized that the WiFi is not internal, and had to go find the dongle. Updated to most recent version. Now, after powering on, the Oppo Blu-ray Disc background screen (prior to the check for a disc) flashes from the usual black to green twice. It's not a full green screen but rather has the Oppo and Blu-ray Disc logos on it. Just the background color changes. I don't recall ever seeing this before - what is this? It also looks like I should have investigated firmware versions as I realize I just nixed some unofficial ISO support. A feature I have never used, but perhaps might need at some point?

I pulled out my second 93, and it also has the two green blinks. So I guess it's not exclusive to this one player. The second 93 was actually still new, never opened. Kept as a backup. I opened for the first time just now. I bought it when it was announced that component output at 1080p was being removed on future models. After the 203 purchase, I ended up with buyer's remorse for this unused extra, figuring it was a waste of money in the end. Presently, I am okay with it as I ended up deciding around the time Oppo left the market I'd run a 93 alongside the 203 as to save wear and tear on the 203.

Last edited by Brian81; 07-03-2020 at 09:32 AM.
post #28803 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
What is this?
When the HDMI handshake is being established (takes a second or two) there is sometimes a momentary greenish screen with some combinations of gear. As long as it goes away there's nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28804 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3420
Quote:
I decided to update the firmware on my BDP-93 to the most recent version. Now, during powerup, the Oppo Blu-ray Disc background screen (prior to the check for a disc) flashes from the usual black to green twice. It's not a full green screen but rather has the Oppo and Blu-ray Disc logos on it. Just the background color changes. I don't recall it doing this ever before. What is this? It also looks like I should have investigated firmware versions. I think I just nixed some unofficial ISO support.
Well yes, you probably lost ISO support if you had it before.

When the player boots up it starts in RGB output and then switches to whatever you have selected in video setup. There's handshakes involved as well. Green screen results when the display is expecting one type input but receiving another. A display that correctly handles RGB vs YCbCr inputs will hot have an issue with this. Many displays do not handle it well. Anyways, as long as it winds up being correct its not a problem.
post #28805 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I made some updates to my posting, for the two of you who have already responded. I appreciate the responses. If you want to re-read the updated post and have other feedback it would be appreciated. So despite the loss of ISO support, did I gain anything beyond what I probably had? The freshly opened 93 (see updated prior post) has firmware update 0917, which is what I think the one I just updated had, before. Better off leaving this one at 0917 or would I be better off updating it as well (and to which version)?

Last edited by Brian81; 07-03-2020 at 10:05 AM.
post #28806 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3420
Quote:
I made some updates to my posting, for the two of you who have already responded. I appreciate the responses. If you want to re-read the updated post and have other feedback it would be appreciated. So despite the loss of ISO support, did I gain anything beyond what I probably had? The freshly opened 93 (see updated prior post) has firmware update 0917, which is what I think the one I just updated had, before. Better off leaving this one at 0917 or would I be better off updating it as well (and to which version)?
There's no compelling reason to update unless you are chasing a specific issue.
The 93/95 series sometimes have issues when connected to newer HDCP-2.2 or HDMI-2 type gear, which calls for a newer firmware to fix those issues. Reading back a ways in this thread will illuminate that discussion.

ISO support is a big deal for some folks, so keeping that function might add some value.
post #28807 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 11:21 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
ISO file support appeared in firmware 50-0608 and was removed in firmware 64-0119. It looks like your FW is in that range (57). See the opening post.

I think you should sell your 93, highlighting the ISO capability, it was highly sought after.

Your 203 already has the capability of playing back BDMV full disc, Menu based backups, of both UHD and BR. It sounds like you don’t value SMB/NFS Network file playback here, so never going to value the 93 ISO playback of BR only.

Cash in, I say.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #28808 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There's no compelling reason to update unless you are chasing a specific issue.
The 93/95 series sometimes have issues when connected to newer HDCP-2.2 or HDMI-2 type gear, which calls for a newer firmware to fix those issues. Reading back a ways in this thread will illuminate that discussion.

ISO support is a big deal for some folks, so keeping that function might add some value.

Thanks. I will leave the backup at the original firmware, but am currently on the official site downloading both the zip and iso files for the latest version in case I ever decide to update it. I also noticed that I can change some numbers in the address and the links were active.
post #28809 of 28812 Old 07-03-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
ISO file support appeared in firmware 50-0608 and was removed in firmware 64-0119. It looks like your FW is in that range (57). See the opening post.

I think you should sell your 93, highlighting the ISO capability, it was highly sought after.

Your 203 already has the capability of playing back BDMV full disc, Menu based backups, of both UHD and BR. It sounds like you don’t value SMB/NFS Network file playback here, so never going to value the 93 ISO playback of BR only.

Cash in, I say.

Hi, I have leaned towards the idea of keeping the 93s for standard BD and DVD playback to cut down on usage of the 203. I started messing around with the 93s as my 203 needs to be sent in for repair. Not the same format, but I never bought into the disc killing a player stories until a infrequently used Toshiba HD-A2 no longer plays DVDs properly (skips around disc) after trying to access an easter egg on a defective disc where the player locked up. The HD DVD playback is still perfect on that player. After this, I am paranoid. As far as cashing in goes, a now 'new but open box' to check the boot up screen and firmware version player for sale? Looks like the 93s sell for around $250. Half of what I believe I paid back in 2010?
post #28810 of 28812 Old 07-09-2020, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a new problem :

I have a trusty Oppo 93 as my Blu-ray player connected by HDMI 4K cable to my Blu-ray port on a Marantz SR 7013 receiver.
After at least a year of perfect performance I suddenly lost audio.
The video momentarily displayed a pink screen and then video without audio.
I made sure all firmware was updated , and powered down and disconnected all devices..
I bought a new 6ft 4K compatibe HDMI cable.
I restored both components to original firmware , and then updated to the most up to date firmware.
Repowered all devices.
Absolutely no joy.
When I connect the OPPO to my old Sony receiver and a flat panel Vizio it works fine.

Any suggestions?

( BTW: A YEAR ago my Sony Playstation 4 stopped working with the Marantz. I even sent the receiver in to have it looked at: They said its the Playstation, you fool. It now works fine, which to me means it was their firmware after all. )

Marantz SR7013
Sony STR5200ES
Epson 5050UB
OPPO Blu-ray
Apple 4K TV
post #28811 of 28812 Old 07-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 5937 Post(s)
Liked: 8508
^ If your Marantz just got a firmware update, it's possible they changed their HDMI implementation to enable some of the newer HDMI protocols.

If so, you'll need a special firmware update in the OPPO so that it doesn't get confused by what the Marantz is now trying to do. Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #28812 of 28812 Old 07-09-2020, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ If your Marantz just got a firmware update, it's possible they changed their HDMI implementation to enable some of the newer HDMI protocols.

If so, you'll need a special firmware update in the OPPO so that it doesn't get confused by what the Marantz is now trying to do. Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support.
--Bob

Agreed. OPPO sent me a link for new firmware that's not on their website, BDP9X-85-0106B.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Marantz AV7704, Epson 5050UB, Stewart Firehawk 16x9 82"; Marantz Amplifiers: MM7025, MM7055; Paradigm Speakers: Premier 800F (R/L), Premier 600C, ADP-370 (SS), Monitor v.4 (RB, LB), PW2100 v.2, Hsu sub VTF-2 Mk5; Power Condition: Adcom ACE 315 & 515, Tripplite HT7300PC & HTRL15UPS; Other Sources: OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer CLD-D606 & DVL-919, JVC HR-S9600U; Cable: Redmere Elite HDMI, Monster Mi.2S, Kimber Kable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page