Yamaha BD-A1010 Universal Player - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #331 of 357 Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A huge Thank you Bleasel. In holidays, i was trying precisely this morning to send ether commands to my bd player and i found your message. Wonderful, it works perfectly !!!!!!!

Mr Kludge, the problem i s the same for both IOS and android and my wife's android phone works now perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 357 Old 08-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a wireless adapter for this?
post #333 of 357 Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Is there a wireless adapter for this?
Ya, here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wirel...gaming+adapter

Any of theses will do the trick. I have an olden Netgear and also a Linksys but they are both a/b/g only and lack n and haven't had them in operation for about 2.5 year now. No specific adapter from Yamaha that I am aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 357 Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Will any generic USB adapter work? I have a few netgear ones laying around...
post #335 of 357 Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Will any generic USB adapter work? I have a few netgear ones laying around...
I wondered that myself, but I do not have one to try. Why don't you give it a whirl and see what happens. Even though this unit has an USB port I doubt that the unit has the code and intelligence to deal with a USB dongle. I have't looked much into it since I intend/intended to just use one of my gaming adapters to use with this puppy, but I haven't had it on the "network" since I bough it. I haven't wanted to muck up my 2.4G wireless with a G device so I just haven't done it yet. Gaming adapters are plentiful now and cheep (compared to the $50-75 I had to shell out for the ones I have now years ago). Looks like they can be had for about the same or less than a decent dongle. My experience in the past with players, STBs, gaming consoles and the like is that there is usually just one or maybe two adapter options that work. Sometimes through the USB and others through another port etc. or even a card slot or such. However you should be able to get any Ethernet to WiFi adapter to work. Back in my old house I had an old Apple wireless network that I used for all my old devices including the gaming adapters. I used MAC level control on that network and it was a big pain and headache to set up since some of the gaming adapters do not have decent documentation or report what the MAC addresses are for the various ports. Once of the ones I have is auto learning and basically works out of the box if you are using "normal" security. I think they somehow hack the wireless network so it can pass traffic. Haven't looked much into the automatic features since I had to go right to the web and/pr telnet programming interfaces to do what I needed to do.

You could also use a laptop computer and use Internet sharing. I have done that a few times with various things. My son uses that for his Xbox through his Apple MacBook. I have a couple old Apple laptops around that I have used the feature on before. It's good for a firmware or software update here and there or maybe if you need BD live with just a movie here and there. Obviously you have to cable everything up and have the laptop on and connected for this to work, but it does and quite well once you get it all programmed correctly. Took me a while to get my sons laptop to play ball. I was programming in too may settings and like many things with Apple products they try to keep it ultra simple and that trips up us tweakers.
post #336 of 357 Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I use the AV Controller on an android; actually that should be androids as it is on an Acer A700, Nook HD+, Nexus 7, & Samsung Tab 2 7. Originally used only on the Tab 2 but then, just because.........

The AV Controller works both in stock tablet OS & custom rom (KitKat 4.4.4).
post #337 of 357 Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleasel View Post
I had the same problem. It appears that port 50100 is closed when it needs to be open.

Yamaha Support in Australia provided a solution.

1. You will need to copy the recovery firmware and copy the "UPG" folder to a USB flash file. (It must have no other file on the drive)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yl3zs2h7p..._A1010_rev.zip

2. Insert the USB Drive into the Player. On the Player select System>Upgrade> USB Storage

3. After finishing the update, the player will automatically reboot and display "This player requires the firmware update to the latest version"

4. Download the latest firmware officially released form the Yamaha website and copy the "UPG" folder (same name, but different file) to a USB flash file (it must also have no other file on the drive). Don't get the player to download the file.

5. Insert the USB flash drive in the player and again select System>Upgrade> USB Storage

6. The Player will reboot when finished, and hopefully all works. (It did for me, and I had firmware version 1.7712 before and after this process)
THANK YOU!! Will do after doc appt.

Now what happened to the "print" option that used to be available?
post #338 of 357 Old 09-11-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A few nights ago, I was using my VSX-32 to play an SACD on my BDP-52FD converted to PCM so I could take advantage of PQLS. Last night, I started bitstreaming everything to my SC-81. SD DVDs with Dolby Digital were playing fine. However, I seem to be getting skips and audio dropouts when bitstreaming anything hi-res, whether Blu-ray movie audio or pure DSD. I'm starting to think that Pioneer A/V receivers and MediaTek Blu-ray players don't get along when bitstreaming because the last time I bitstreamed something to my VSX-32 with the Yamaha BD-A1010, I got the same issue in the same spot of the movie. I think Pioneer and MediaTek need to start working together so this could be straightened out. One of the reasons I shelled out $1k for the SC-81 was for jitterless bitstreams and to cut down on HDMI bandwidth. I made the mistake a few years ago of giving up on the BDP-52FD, when it turned out to be the best universal player solution for me afterall. I'm not giving up on the SC-81. I really think that once Pioneer and MediaTek colaberate on this and get it straightened out, this issue might come to a good closing.
post #339 of 357 Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I found a new BD-A1010 to replace a new 1040 and all I can say is the 1010 blows the 1040 away in performance!

Army Rangers lead the way!
post #340 of 357 Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
I found a new BD-A1010 to replace a new 1040 and all I can say is the 1010 blows the 1040 away in performance!
As it should be.

One question for those who still use the Yamaha smartphone app, is the app still working well with the A1010? Or is it totally useless? I have yet to connect my A1010 to internet so any help would be great.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/XBR55X900E
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F
post #341 of 357 Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post
As it should be.

One question for those who still use the Yamaha smartphone app, is the app still working well with the A1010? Or is it totally useless? I have yet to connect my A1010 to internet so any help would be great.
Personally I don't have it connected to my network.

Army Rangers lead the way!
post #342 of 357 Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried watching Bohemian Rhapsody, delivered from Netflix, but it would not work. I suspected that the problem was with my BD player but I had Netflix send a second copy to try. It did not work either. The error message that I get is the dreaded, "unknown disk" message.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can try?

Or is it time to retire the BD-A1010 and find a more modern version that will play "modern" BD's?
post #343 of 357 Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post
I tried watching Bohemian Rhapsody, delivered from Netflix, but it would not work. I suspected that the problem was with my BD player but I had Netflix send a second copy to try. It did not work either. The error message that I get is the dreaded, "unknown disk" message.

Or is it time to retire the BD-A1010 and find a more modern version that will play "modern" BD's?
Wow! First post in over 3 years. I have mine in storage, sort of. It's being saved for my stereo only room. Anyhow I also own the move in question except it is the UHD but I think it came with the BD as well. Will have to find it in the stacks. I will try to test it this weekend if I remember.

Have you tried other recent Fox releases? They are famous for changing their keys every year or so. All of the movies released in the past couple years on Fox won't play in my Samsung combo HD/BD player. Might be tough to get Yammy to do an update at this point but technically they would have to if forced. Since it's probably a Fox key code change they should support that. Once I verify one of us can reach out to them and see what they say about firmware updates. Which are you on? I might not be on the latest. Oh and that is another point. I assume you have updated it to the latest code. If you have not please do and try again. Also a factory/cold start might help but I forgot how that is performed on this unit.
post #344 of 357 Old 05-04-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No problems here. Running 1.7712 which is the latest code from way back turkey dayish 2013 nearly 6 years ago...eeek!
I was going to try Bad Times at the Royale but my 4k set is missing the BD (I buy many disc 2nd hand) so it's not a set anymore unless you count the DC. I didn't bother trying the many 4k sets of older re-transfered movies like Alien and Predator since Fox has a tendency to only include the old BD masters in those sets.

Here is my advise. Verify/re-flash the latest code. Do a factory and/or cold start if you can figure out how to do it on this beast. You might have to hunt around for that. Clear persistent memory as you may have a saved BD state file that is hosing you. The factory/cold should delete that but many players will still preserve it. Disconnect it from the internet and anything else like a flash drive or anything else connected to the USB. The reason is BD live doing odd things.

Does everything else in your collection (especially Fox titles and recent ones) play? If so the Netflix version of the disc might be a rental only version. Over the years I have seen some rental versions of movies not play in some of my players where the fully released version did or vice. versa. A notable example is the movie Splice. The rental will not play but the real release does. Different startup junk in the rentals sometimes kills them. Another is THIR13EN Ghosts where the US release that is part of a double set with House of Wax (the so-so make) will not play (HoW does) but the UK release plays. That one is WB if I remember right. This or not having the latest code (or a munged install) are the only "likely" causes of your trouble. There is a remote chance that your loader is failing. I once had a Lionsgate film Wallace and Grommet brand new kill a loader in a Sammy combo player. The disc was extremely shiny and caused an odd issue where the player would no longer play many of my Lionsgate discs (or if I remember right all of them). I know it sounds odd but it happened. I still have the loader in storage and have tried it in other players over the years and it still has issues, but only with LG releases. Can't be an oddity with loader code since before playing the disc all my LG discs played fine. Might be coincidence but I don't believe in that.

Take a look at the disc. My set has a black label and groove LP looking label for the UHD and a purple label and groves for the BD. Is the disc you were sent maybe UHD by mistake? I found it hard to read the discs even in bright light. I almost put the UHD in the Yammy. I also noticed that the BD disc is gold on the play side where most of my discs are silver and many are very thin and you can see light through them. This disc is solid gold and no light leaking. Another remote possibility would be two bad discs. Are they dirty, scratched or been resurfaced? I still have a indy rental shop near me and they often resurface discs that have come back scratched or dirty. That can quickly kill discs from playing in some or all players. BDs were never intended to be resurfaced hence the anti-scratch coating on them and UHD. resurfacing is obvious the disc will often have polish or oil residue left over, a not as shiny and slick surface that easily scratches or other issues.

Just a few things to try and consider. I wish you luck my friend. I am yet to rent many of the recent Fox BDs from the big red box so when I do I will try to remember to give them a whirl in the Yammy. I canceled my NF disc plan many moons ago so that is as close as I can get.
post #345 of 357 Old 05-04-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
No problems here. Running 1.7712 which is the latest code from way back turkey dayish 2013 nearly 6 years ago...eeek!
I was going to try Bad Times at the Royale but my 4k set is missing the BD (I buy many disc 2nd hand) so it's not a set anymore unless you count the DC. I didn't bother trying the many 4k sets of older re-transfered movies like Alien and Predator since Fox has a tendency to only include the old BD masters in those sets.

Here is my advise. Verify/re-flash the latest code. Do a factory and/or cold start if you can figure out how to do it on this beast. You might have to hunt around for that. Clear persistent memory as you may have a saved BD state file that is hosing you. The factory/cold should delete that but many players will still preserve it. Disconnect it from the internet and anything else like a flash drive or anything else connected to the USB. The reason is BD live doing odd things.

Does everything else in your collection (especially Fox titles and recent ones) play? If so the Netflix version of the disc might be a rental only version. Over the years I have seen some rental versions of movies not play in some of my players where the fully released version did or vice. versa. A notable example is the movie Splice. The rental will not play but the real release does. Different startup junk in the rentals sometimes kills them. Another is THIR13EN Ghosts where the US release that is part of a double set with House of Wax (the so-so make) will not play (HoW does) but the UK release plays. That one is WB if I remember right. This or not having the latest code (or a munged install) are the only "likely" causes of your trouble. There is a remote chance that your loader is failing. I once had a Lionsgate film Wallace and Grommet brand new kill a loader in a Sammy combo player. The disc was extremely shiny and caused an odd issue where the player would no longer play many of my Lionsgate discs (or if I remember right all of them). I know it sounds odd but it happened. I still have the loader in storage and have tried it in other players over the years and it still has issues, but only with LG releases. Can't be an oddity with loader code since before playing the disc all my LG discs played fine. Might be coincidence but I don't believe in that.

Take a look at the disc. My set has a black label and groove LP looking label for the UHD and a purple label and groves for the BD. Is the disc you were sent maybe UHD by mistake? I found it hard to read the discs even in bright light. I almost put the UHD in the Yammy. I also noticed that the BD disc is gold on the play side where most of my discs are silver and many are very thin and you can see light through them. This disc is solid gold and no light leaking. Another remote possibility would be two bad discs. Are they dirty, scratched or been resurfaced? I still have a indy rental shop near me and they often resurface discs that have come back scratched or dirty. That can quickly kill discs from playing in some or all players. BDs were never intended to be resurfaced hence the anti-scratch coating on them and UHD. resurfacing is obvious the disc will often have polish or oil residue left over, a not as shiny and slick surface that easily scratches or other issues.

Just a few things to try and consider. I wish you luck my friend. I am yet to rent many of the recent Fox BDs from the big red box so when I do I will try to remember to give them a whirl in the Yammy. I canceled my NF disc plan many moons ago so that is as close as I can get.
Thanks for the advice. Will give it a shot and see if I can make it work. I feel like it has something to do with the memory.
post #346 of 357 Old 05-04-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Will give it a shot and see if I can make it work. I feel like it has something to do with the memory.
I looked up a bunch of info on this player. The only resets that are allowed are in the system menu reset to defaults which puts everything to factory except for the security setting (password to enforce child controls). There is also a reset/format local memory which seems to only deal with USB sticks used for BD-Live. The only reset procedure is to unplug it for 10 seconds and plug it back in. There are also old posts mentioning other problems but not quite what you are experiencing; AV controller not working and settings munged. There is a firmware recovery procedure that you use to reset the player. There are posts with links to a couple different versions of that. I have two on my laptop but not sure which you would use. One is dated in '12 and another in '13. the '13 folder includes a couple firmwares. I think you can use the procedure to revert the firmware back and it resets the player then you can roll forward with a clean box. Kinda brute force but I don't think Yammy envisioned having issues that would require a persistent memory wipe, cold start or factory reset?

You might want to go back and read the old posts. I did see that the latest pasted is still in the DropBox listed. It would be worth a try if a reset of settings after a power plug does not work. I still think this is a disc issue, either rental version or just bad discs. I have seen it before. If all your other discs work fine then that is the likely problem. If I think about it next time I'm getting movies from the box I will grab that disc and see if I have issues.

Perhaps someone that is still out there thet has done the recovery procedure can help you further. If I remember right there was a way to get it on the Yammy site. Not sure where I got mine. I tend to download fixes when I hear that there might be problems or future problems and I kinda remember having to do this way back when to resolve a screen aspect problem?
post #347 of 357 Old 05-04-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
I looked up a bunch of info on this player. The only resets that are allowed are in the system menu reset to defaults which puts everything to factory except for the security setting (password to enforce child controls). There is also a reset/format local memory which seems to only deal with USB sticks used for BD-Live. The only reset procedure is to unplug it for 10 seconds and plug it back in. There are also old posts mentioning other problems but not quite what you are experiencing; AV controller not working and settings munged. There is a firmware recovery procedure that you use to reset the player. There are posts with links to a couple different versions of that. I have two on my laptop but not sure which you would use. One is dated in '12 and another in '13. the '13 folder includes a couple firmwares. I think you can use the procedure to revert the firmware back and it resets the player then you can roll forward with a clean box. Kinda brute force but I don't think Yammy envisioned having issues that would require a persistent memory wipe, cold start or factory reset?

You might want to go back and read the old posts. I did see that the latest pasted is still in the DropBox listed. It would be worth a try if a reset of settings after a power plug does not work. I still think this is a disc issue, either rental version or just bad discs. I have seen it before. If all your other discs work fine then that is the likely problem. If I think about it next time I'm getting movies from the box I will grab that disc and see if I have issues.

Perhaps someone that is still out there thet has done the recovery procedure can help you further. If I remember right there was a way to get it on the Yammy site. Not sure where I got mine. I tend to download fixes when I hear that there might be problems or future problems and I kinda remember having to do this way back when to resolve a screen aspect problem?
Old age :-( I forgot all the stuff about the recovery firmware. if you look back a page or two you will see some posts and a dropbox link to the latest/last recovery firmware. Basically you put it on your stick like you would any other update. You run it and then re-load the latest firmware. Each recovery fw is specific to that release and I think there is only one for the last two releases. So ensure that you are on the latest fw, download that update, flash then re-flash with the update on the Yammy site. This is of course if you can't get anything else to work. The process of the recovery and update should completely wipe anything that is giving you trouble. Persistent memory and settings should be wiped by the recovery. I think that is what is meant by it. Then I think the player probably a fw that is not fully functional then needs to be updated again. Old age again so I'm not sure if I have followed this before or just downloaded just in case of problems. Mine has been trouble free, but it hasn't seen much use.
post #348 of 357 Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Update.

I finally got to mess around with the Yammy. Still no luck. I did confirm that my firmware was 1.7712. Here are the steps I took based on the recent suggested postings.

1 - I unplugged the unit for at least thirty minutes and unplugged the ethernet cord.
2 - Left internet unplugged and plugged power back in. Still got the same error.
3 - Used the recovery file from the flash drive. Confirmed that the firmware was an earlier version.
4 - I used a different flash drive to update the firmware back to 1.7712 again per the instructions in this forum.
5 - I left the ethernet unplugged for this. I also plugged it back in, rebooted and tried it again.

I tried several different discs. With the BlueRays, the player attempts to read them twice and both times makes a fairly loud vibrating noise that doesn't sound good at all. Then it gives me the first error that I mentioned, "unknown disk". When I try to play DVD's I don't even get that, it just says "no disc" and it does not sound like the player is making an attempt to read it (no loud vibrating noise). I tried several different BD's and DVD's from different years and studios. Nothing works. It's not the discs because they work fine on my home PC.

I thought it might just be dust inside the player causing it not to read the discs correctly so I sprayed around in there as best I could with compressed air in a can and still nothing.

Time to give up and find a new player?

Any other ideas to try? I'm not understanding why it was working up until a few weeks ago and now nothing.
post #349 of 357 Old 05-24-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update.

I finally got to mess around with the Yammy. Still no luck. I did confirm that my firmware was 1.7712. Here are the steps I took based on the recent suggested postings.

1 - I unplugged the unit for at least thirty minutes and unplugged the ethernet cord.
2 - Left internet unplugged and plugged power back in. Still got the same error.
3 - Used the recovery file from the flash drive. Confirmed that the firmware was an earlier version.
4 - I used a different flash drive to update the firmware back to 1.7712 again per the instructions in this forum.
5 - I left the ethernet unplugged for this. I also plugged it back in, rebooted and tried it again.

I tried several different discs. With the BlueRays, the player attempts to read them twice and both times makes a fairly loud vibrating noise that doesn't sound good at all. Then it gives me the first error that I mentioned, "unknown disk". When I try to play DVD's I don't even get that, it just says "no disc" and it does not sound like the player is making an attempt to read it (no loud vibrating noise). I tried several different BD's and DVD's from different years and studios. Nothing works. It's not the discs because they work fine on my home PC.

I thought it might just be dust inside the player causing it not to read the discs correctly so I sprayed around in there as best I could with compressed air in a can and still nothing.

Time to give up and find a new player?

Any other ideas to try? I'm not understanding why it was working up until a few weeks ago and now nothing.
There are still a few things you can try. It's either something simple or drastic. Since your tray is ejecting I don't think it is a broken belt but it still might be. I haven't torn into one of these but ones I have are belt for the drawer and direct drive for the motor. You can try some lens cleaners. I have one that has tiny little paint brush like things. It's kinda brute force but I often have to use it on my Tosh A35 HD player. You could also open it up and also open up the loader and clean it with either foam or ultra clean lint free swabs and some freon TF or very high proof alcohol. While in there lube the rails and reading mechanism. If you can figure out if it is the drive or the laser head of the player that is having issues that will point you to a solution. I have often been able to revive things with a good cleaning and/or lube job. Lithum grease would probably be the best things to use. Weather tube or spray on would be determined by the design of the loader.

Unfortunately the most likely problem at this point is a failed loader. Happens all the time with this high end optical technology. No one knows when or why but eventually they just fail.

I you are opening it up a good blow out, cleaning and insuring that all cables and connections are good and tight could revive it also.

Depending on what loader you have you may be able to find a cheep on on eBay or even from a parts house or even buy a Yammy that has other issues and rob the drive/loader. I've done that countless times on the Sammy combo player. The combos are way more problematic since they are universal and have one laser for CD/DVD/HD-DVD (the red) and another (the blue) for BDs. But finding a BD loader for the Yammy should not be that hard as long as it is common and not custom. I would doubt that Yammy with their low volume would do a custom drive but this player also does SACD and DVD-Audio. It might be a Sony drive. I will check and let you know.
post #350 of 357 Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the help so far. I removed the cover to see what is happening. Here are three links to videos of what happens when I 1- power up, 2- insert a DVD and 3- insert a Blue Ray. I dont know what to make of the response for each scenario but all three are consistant with what happened with the cover on.

Power up https://youtu.be/PJWTD_OuANg

Insert DVD https://youtu.be/ujmlKOLRfBM

Insert BD https://youtu.be/CYrbxPWGgEU

Any thoughts?
post #351 of 357 Old 06-01-2019, 05:57 AM

Just wanted to give this one more bump to see if anyone had any other ideas of what I could try to get the BD-A1010 up and functioning properly again.

To recap:

Errors I am getting:
- I tried several different discs, Blue Ray and DVD, and nothing will work.
- With the BlueRays, the player attempts to read them twice and both times makes a fairly loud vibrating noise that doesn't sound good at all. Then it gives me the first error that I mentioned, "unknown disk".
- When I try to play DVD's I don't even get that, it just says "no disc" and it does not sound like the player is making an attempt to read it (no loud vibrating noise).
- I tried several different BD's and DVD's from different years and studios. Nothing works. It's not the discs because they work fine on my home PC.

I removed the cover of the player and the loader to blast both cabinets out with a can of compressed air. While in there I took video of the player's behavior which matches what I describe above when the covers are on:

Power up

Insert DVD

Insert BD

Attempts I've made to correct based on advice from this forum:

Any last thoughts before I pitch it and buy a new player? Are there more functions or features that I could disable to find out if they are causing the errors?
post #352 of 357 Old 06-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8318
^ This could be any of several hardware failures. All of which would require service to fix. The most likely is that the laser head assembly has simply failed.

There’s one last thing you can try yourself: Open the unit up again until you can see the two laser lenses on the laser head — the part that moves radially under the disc. Gently clean both laser lenses using a Q-tip barely moistened with rubbing alcohol.

—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #353 of 357 Old 10-18-2019, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, first post here

I know this is a pretty old thread but wanted to see if I can get some help with this unit. I was given multiple DVD audio and sacds so picked up this unit to give them a listen

When using a DVD audio discs it works great, get full 5.1 surround and sounds very good. However, when I insert a a sacd it doesn't recognize it and only plays it as a CD in 2 Channel. For some reason it's just reading the CD layer and not the sacd, even though I have the settings to multi-channel for sacd priority. The sacd/cd toggle switch on the remote does not do anything when I push it.

I'm playing this through an HDMI and have everything set to PCM. I even updated the firmware to the most current.

Would it be possible for this unit to just not read sacds anymore but work with everything else? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
post #354 of 357 Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Maku1970:

I am not sure if this will be useful, but......I have a 1020 and there is a button on the remote to switch between CD and SACD.......I only use mine for DVDA, and BDA, so not sure how this actually works or defaults to. There is also a setting for SACD output...should be in the same menu area as the priority (2.0 / 5.1) setting. If it is set to analog, it only plays 2ch SACD and supposedly shuts off the HDMI for 5.1 channel.......

Again, I do not use it for SACD, so am not sure how the settings work and this is for a 1020.......but, you never know. It may gave you a starting point.

Cheers,
phannon
post #355 of 357 Old 10-19-2019, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the reply but my problem seems to be that when I insert an sacd it immediately just recognizes it as a regular cd. The sacd light does not come on and only plays in 2 channel no mater the settings I change in setup. Can't figure it out, must be just defective
post #356 of 357 Old 10-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Maku1970:

I had my 1020 turned on to play a BD-A this morning, so I checked on the use of SACD. When an SACD is inserted, the display shows a small cd and the main display reads SACD. When the tray is open and I press the CD / SACD button on the remote, the main display changes from SACD to CD. When the hybrid disc is inserted it reads CD... If you have that button on the remote, see if the display changes when the button is cycled through the 2 options. Have you tried unplugging the player to see if it is a processor glitch.....like that does not happen!!

If there is no joy......and my observations may not apply anyway as it is for a 1020........you probably have a dead or dying laser. That happened to me years ago on a SONY 999.......pop in an SACD......only read as a CD. Though it may have played as SACD when a non hybrid SACD was inserted....like an SHM SACD or some early SONY discs.

Hope this info is of some use.....good luck.....

Cheers,
phannon
post #357 of 357 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

Again, thank you for the response. I did try the SACD/CD toggle button on my remote, but not with the tray open as you suggest. At work now and we'll try when I get home, keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Bd A1010bl Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Yamaha Rx A1000 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page