AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Yamaha BD-A1010 Universal Player (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1351534-yamaha-bd-a1010-universal-player.html)

oppopioneer 08-02-2011 07:17 PM

If you want a Blu-ray player capable of playing SACD and/or DVD-A through its multi-channel analog outputs, you're kind of limited to Oppo and Cambridge Audio (at a higher price point). Well, here's another choice....

Yamaha announces the new BD-A1010 universal player

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

AtDaBeach 08-03-2011 11:06 AM

Nice. Any idea what the Video chip is, or who it is made by? (Marvell?)

AtDaBeach 08-04-2011 05:05 PM

Got one on order.

swansong86 08-08-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

Got one on order.

What's it like?

AtDaBeach 08-08-2011 05:57 AM

Not shipped yet

Starting to wonder if it is even in stock yet.

winston9332 08-08-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

Nice. Any idea what the Video chip is, or who it is made by? (Marvell?)

probably a mediatek chip like the a1000 and 667.

AtDaBeach 08-08-2011 01:52 PM

I think so. Someone in the A1000 thread turned me on to it.

AtDaBeach 08-11-2011 07:04 AM

Should start shipping end of this week, beginning of next.

AtDaBeach 08-11-2011 11:38 AM

Just got another emailed update, the ship time is now in Sept, so Im cancelling.

The new pioneer elite is interesting.

TuenMuner 10-13-2011 06:06 PM

I believe A1010 is now in stock in US, I'm still waiting for one up here in Canada, although I don't think they're going to release it, so I'm planning to import one from US.

Did you guys buy one already?

chadje 10-14-2011 12:12 PM

I am interested in picking one up, but may get the Oppo 93 as I can't see if the Yamaha has any crossover settings for the analog 7.1 outs. I looked through their manual online and it doesn't say anything about it. If anybody owns one and can shed some light it would be appreciated. Thanks.

wrxman 11-11-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadje View Post

I am interested in picking one up, but may get the Oppo 93 as I can't see if the Yamaha has any crossover settings for the analog 7.1 outs. I looked through their manual online and it doesn't say anything about it. If anybody owns one and can shed some light it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Has anyone seen reviews for this player? I can find spec sheets but no articles of it being tested or is this thing that new?

Thanks!

wrxman 11-14-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman View Post

Has anyone seen reviews for this player? I can find spec sheets but no articles of it being tested or is this thing that new?

Thanks!

Anyone, anyone?

Kal Rubinson 11-14-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Anyone, anyone?

Google links to this:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-50

wrxman 11-14-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Google links to this:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-50

Great, Thank you!

Big C 11-26-2011 12:13 PM

When HDMI Audio is set to PCM, while playing the multi-channel area of an SACD, is the sampling frequency 88.2 KHz or 176.4 KHz? I would prefer an answer from someone who has hands-on experience.

TuenMuner 11-26-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

When HDMI Audio is set to PCM, while playing the multi-channel area of an SACD, is the sampling frequency 88.2 KHz or 176.4 KHz? I would prefer an answer from someone who has hands-on experience.

I may get one by next weekend, I will try to give you an update, Pioneer fan.

Big C 11-26-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

I may get one by next weekend, I will try to give you an update, Pioneer fan.

I am returning my new Pioneer Elite BDP-53FD because it has the potential of kidnapping my discs. As much as I love their PQLS, the change it provides isn't drastic enough to tolerate certain things. The Oppos either output DSD or PCM at 88.2 KHz. The Sonys have been said to output DSD or PCM at 176.4 KHz, but don't support DVD-AUDIO. The Yamaha BD-A1010 has been said to output DSD or PCM at 176.4 KHz, even though the official documentation doesn't give how SACD is decoded. B&H Photo Video has a holiday returns policy until January 18. I'm not sure when I'll be getting mine. I was getting conflicting reports on stock from the search results til placing the order. If I get mine first, I guess I'll be the guinniepig. If it says 88.2 on my receiver, I'll return it and try the Sony BDP-NS780. If the Sony says 88.2, then I'll return it and get the Oppo. Do I sound like I know what I'm doing?

drSeehas 11-27-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

You know
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21220664

Big C 11-27-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

You know
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21220664

That's proof enough for me. Can't wait!

drSeehas 11-27-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

That's proof enough for me. Can't wait!

The BD-A1010 is just a rebadged and cheaper BD-A1000.

Big C 11-27-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

The BD-A1010 is just a rebadged and cheaper BD-A1000.

Besides the extra HDMI output, what else is the BD-A1010 lacking in comparison to the BD-A1000?

drSeehas 11-27-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Besides the extra HDMI output, what else is the BD-A1010 lacking in comparison to the BD-A1000?

???
Which extra HDMI output?
The BD-A1010 is lacking nothing.
It is a BD-A1000 named BD-A1010.

Big C 11-27-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

???
Which extra HDMI output?
The BD-A1010 is lacking nothing.
It is a BD-A1000 named BD-A1010.

I believe I got that from hometheaterreviews.com. After checking the BD-A1000 manual, I guess they screwed up, huh? Then the only differences would be later firmware and iPhone compatibility. Then I don't have to worry about missing out on the BD-A1000. So far, I'm already happy with my decision.

Big C 11-29-2011 05:36 AM

If this player converts DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz like the BD-A1000 did, it would beat the Oppo as a digital transport. Mine should arive today.

drSeehas 11-29-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

... it would beat the Oppo as a digital transport ...

No.
The Yamahas have no "source direct". The OPPOs do.

glangford 11-29-2011 06:44 AM

One other advantage of the Oppo over the Yamaha is HDCD decoding. I don't see it as an option for the Yamaha. Not truly universal.I have a lot of HDCDs where I'd like to get the full 20 bit decoding.

drSeehas 11-29-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

One other advantage of the Oppo over the Yamaha is HDCD decoding. I don't see it as an option for the Yamaha. Not truly universal.https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/editp...ost&p=21273553 I have a lot of HDCDs where I'd like to get the full 20 bit decoding.

Do you still connect your player analog to your AVR?
Otherwise a decoder in the player is useless.
I have also a lot of HDCDs and an AVR with integrated HDCD decoder, so...

Oh, by the way: Your link doesn't work.

glangford 11-29-2011 10:44 AM

I have a Denon 3311ci, so it doesn't have a HDCD decoder. I use hdmi from an oppo bdp-83, letting the Oppo decode.

Most AVRs do not have HDCD decoding, at least Denon. You have to get to their upper echelon AVRs for that feature. I also use the stereo analog outs to a headphone amp which also requires that the player do the decoding.

drSeehas 11-29-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

I have a Denon 3311ci, so it doesn't have a HDCD decoder. I use hdmi from an oppo bdp-83, letting the Oppo decode.

If you use a HDMI connection HDCDs won't be decoded in the player.
Again: You can hear decoded by the player only with analog connections.

mpstuff 11-29-2011 11:44 AM

Does this player output DSD through the 2 channel analog outputs or does it convert to PCM? Is it better to use the higher upsampling via PCM or keep SACD in the DSD realm? Thanks for your responses.

Mike

glangford 11-29-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

If you use a HDMI connection HDCDs won't be decoded in the player.
Again: You can hear decoded by the player only with analog connections.

My understanding is that you can have the oppo decode and transfer to the denon as a 44.1khz/20 bit LPCM feed, similar to it sending a 88.1khz/24 bit feed for sacd.

glangford 11-29-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstuff View Post

Does this player output DSD through the 2 channel analog outputs or does it convert to PCM? Is it better to use the higher upsampling via PCM or keep SACD in the DSD realm? Thanks for your responses.

Mike

It does neither. It puts out an analog signal. The player will internally decode and send it to the DAC then to the analog outs.

drSeehas 11-29-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstuff View Post

Does this player output DSD through the 2 channel analog outputs ...

Yes, but converted to analog and not as DSD of course.

Quote:

... or does it convert to PCM?

Yes, if you want it. But not through the analog outputs of course.

drSeehas 11-29-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

... you can have the oppo decode [HDCD] and transfer to the denon as a 44.1khz/20 bit LPCM feed, ...

Do you have any proof for your claim?
The OPPO would be the first player on earth doing this.
Where in the menu do you switch to this behavior? For AVRs with built-in HDCD decoders the player has to output undecoded of course. How will the player know, what to do?

glangford 11-29-2011 05:54 PM

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20177005

Read about three or posts around this one.

drSeehas 11-29-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20177005

Read about three or posts around this one.

Thank you very much!
These OPPO players a damn good...

glangford 11-30-2011 03:18 AM

That was my only point, that the yamaha was missing one feature to be a truly universal player. Does that make it a bad player, heck no, for 399 its a great deal. Doing SACD at 176.1khz is fantastic. It has 7.1 plus the stereo 2.0 analogs. Oppo dropped the 2.0 ouputs on the newer 93. If I needed another player it would sure be tempting as I need the 2.0s for my headphone rig. Given my growing SACD collection, I'd have to wonder if the extra 100 dollars for the oppo is worth the extra 4 bits I get from some CDS.

Big C 11-30-2011 07:01 AM

love the cosmetics. With the tray at the center lower half of the player, it actually reminds me of the Pioneer Elite DV-58AV. The same thing holds true for the power cord. I love the front panel display. It's nice to see a color other than amber on a component for a change! Due to my sight impairment, running through the setup menu is a little bit of an eye strain, but I successfuly got through it. I had trouble making anything out in the speaker settings, but being that I use HDMI, I don't think that should matter, even when HDMI output is set to PCM for all sources, including SACD. Yet I performed the factory reset just to be sure I didn't screw anything up by trying to play around in the speaker menu, and have never touched it again since. I then connected it to the internet using the Pioneer AS-WL300 USB-powered wifi bridge. Finally, I loaded my SACD edition of "Celine Dion: A Decade of Song." After the bad luck I've been having, I was almost certain that my receiver was downsampling PCM sources above 96 KHz. However, to my surprise, my luck changed and my receiver stated that the BD-A1010 was indeed converting the DSD track to PCM at 176.4 KHz! I don't think I've ever screamed so loudly in the morning before! I hope to watch movies on it soon. My Pioneer BDP-23FD has source direct. While I found it convenient, I can survive without it. I just go into the display menu and change the resolution back and forth, based on whether I'm playing a DVD or Blu-ray. Considering how good the player is, I don't mind having to do that. It would be cool if Pioneer rebadges this player and adds PQLS to it. Then you'd have a winner!

drSeehas 11-30-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

... Does that make it a bad player,

It depends.
I have a lot of HDCDs. BUT I have an AVR with built-in HDCD decoder. But these AVRs are very rare. So, if you don't have an AVR with built-in HDCD decoder, the Yamaha is a bad player.
Quote:

... for 399 its a great deal.

And for $100 more the OPPO is a great deal: Even if you don't have HDCDs you get 2 HDMI outputs with the OPPO. Important if your AVR doesn't support 3D.
Quote:

Doing SACD at 176.1khz is fantastic.

Again: It depends.
I have a receiver with built-in DSD decoder, so no need for in player converting to PCM.
Quote:

It has 7.1 plus the stereo 2.0 analogs. Oppo dropped the 2.0 ouputs on the newer 93.

I have for many years now no need for mc analog outputs.
Quote:

... I'd have to wonder if the extra 100 dollars for the oppo is worth the extra 4 bits I get from some CDS.

If the HDCDs use Peak extent and/or gain, it is worth the extra $100.

glangford 11-30-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

It depends.
I have a lot of HDCDs. BUT I have an AVR with built-in HDCD decoder. But these AVRs are very rare. So, if you don't have an AVR with built-in HDCD decoder, the Yamaha is a bad player.

And for $100 more the OPPO is a great deal: Even if you don't have HDCDs you get 2 HDMI outputs with the OPPO. Important if your AVR doesn't support 3D.

I have a receiver with built-in DSD decoder, so no need for in player converting to PCM.

I have for many years now no need for mc analog outputs.

If the HDCDs use Peak extent and/or gain, it is worth the extra $100.

For someone like myself who doesn't do 3d, has a reciever that doesn't decode DSD or HDCD, and needs the two channel analog outs for a dedicated headphone rig, it may be a good thing. I have to step up to the bdp-95 at 999 for having an dedicated two channel output.

drSeehas 11-30-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

For someone like myself who doesn't do 3d, has a reciever that doesn't decode DSD or HDCD, ...

... needs a player which decodes DSD and HDCD to PCM.
Quote:

... and needs the two channel analog outs for a dedicated headphone rig, it may be a good thing. I have to step up to the bdp-95 at 999 for having an dedicated two channel output.

Why do you need in these days, where everything is connected by HDMI, a dedicated two channel output? Aren't the FL and FR analog outputs from the mc outputs of the bdp-93 enough? I try to understand you.

TuenMuner 12-01-2011 07:23 PM

I can now confirm that multi channel DSD to PCM 176.4kHz works on A1010, I just got the unit earlier today.

citrus 12-01-2011 07:39 PM

"Universal player"....DON'T exist.

To be a "true" universal player, the player must play both blu-ray & HD dvds. Also the player must play VCD, SVCD & DVD-RAM; none of the players do so.

Also the player must play all audio available formats from all sources without any sampling khz limitations; of course the player must also play stuff on SD cards.

So, please no more crap regarding "universal" player arguements/"specifications".

Kal Rubinson 12-01-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post

"Universal player"....DON'T exist.

To be a "true" universal player, the player must play both blu-ray & HD dvds.

How about LPs?

Big C 12-02-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

How about LPs?

And LDs? LOL! I think it's a waste/waist* of time defining a universal player. You need to ask yourself what media, formats, and methods of playing them you think you'll be using at one point or another. If you're not into SACDs, but into HDCDs, then get the Oppo. If you're not into DVD-A, then get the Sony. If you're into BD, DVD-A, and SACD, then get this Yamaha. Btw, I've been loving my new 1010 for the past few days. I hope it holds up for a while and that there are no inherent defects with the mechanism, or crap like that.

*Due to my visual impairment and not reading as much since I graduated high school, and relying on verbal output, my spelling is suffering a little bit. I understand that it leaves an impression and I will try my best to do what I can do to get it straightened out.

grizzified 12-02-2011 09:51 AM

The Lip Sync (audio delay) only works over HDMI, not the 7.1 analog outputs. I talked with Yamaha support and had them confirm this.

grizzified 12-02-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadje View Post

Speaker settings:
Size: Large or Small
Trim: dB 0 to -12
Delay: .5 to 10 meters

drSeehas 12-02-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

... If you're into BD, DVD-A, and SACD, then get this Yamaha ...

Why not Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, OPPO?

wrxman 12-02-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Why not Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, OPPO?

I have been debating between this Yamaha and the Oppo.

I feel like Pioneer has lost their edge with the Sharp merger. I had a bad experience with a Marantz product so I am developing a bias.

Big C 12-05-2011 04:55 AM

Does anyone know of a way to make this player multi-region for DVD, Blu-ray, or both? Procedures that have worked for the BD-S667, BD-S671, and BD-A1000 would probibly work on this model as well.

smartieroadie 12-05-2011 02:32 PM

Hi.

What was the procedure for the BD-S667? The MENU, 8520 then select doesn't work on mine.

TuenMuner 12-05-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know of a way to make this player multi-region for DVD, Blu-ray, or both? Procedures that have worked for the BD-S667, BD-S671, and BD-A1000 would probibly work on this model as well.

I would love to know the code. I have more than a few region 2 DVDs from Japan, currently I can only watch those DVDs on my back-up JVC XV-BP1 and the Japanese XBox 360.

wrxman 12-05-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

I would love to know the code. I have more than a few region 2 DVDs from Japan, currently I can only watch those DVDs on my back-up JVC XV-BP1 and the Japanese XBox 360.

Good evening,

Do you mind sharing an opinion on your new Yamaha or you still need more time?

Your input would be appreciated!

Thx
wrxman

TuenMuner 12-05-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Good evening,

Do you mind sharing an opinion on your new Yamaha or you still need more time?

Your input would be appreciated!

Thx
wrxman

I have yet to try a DVD on my 1010 so I can't comment on that yet, but the BDs look great. Load time is above average(on par with my XV-BD1). The sound is very good with Pure Direct on for both BD and multi-channel SACD.(I have a CD-S1000 to handle 2-channel SACDs) Nice build quality considering the price tag, but the remote is rather crappy, the play/stop buttons, or I should say most of the buttons are way too tiny.

I don't plan to connect it with internet so I will let other owners to comment on the netflix/youtube functions.

Last but not least, a pic of my A1010:

Big C 12-06-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartieroadie View Post

Hi.

What was the procedure for the BD-S667? The MENU, 8520 then select doesn't work on mine.

I ment if anyone found a successful procedure for the other three models, because of their similar user interface, it would probibly work on this one.

Frenshprince 12-06-2011 07:22 AM

I just got the A1010 today.
Tried it quickly, and none of my AVCHD folder worked, while they're ok on the pioneer LX55.

Also, when there is a disc in the drive, there is a shrill noise very audible.
Quite annoying.

Big C 12-06-2011 09:14 AM

So far, the only little bug I've experienced with the 1010 is that when you have the network access enabled, you have to wait between thirty and sixty seconds at power-up before the player becomes responsive to remote or front panel commands. No biggie.

Frenshprince 12-06-2011 09:32 AM

So you didn't meet any of the issue I mentionned ?

Big C 12-06-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenshprince View Post

So you didn't meet any of the issue I mentionned ?

I only use store-bought discs and plan on netflix streaming. I rarely rip and reencode because I don't have the time, although when I do, I love the fact that I figured out how to name the files so things play in the order I want them played in. I am glad that the 1010 can play WAVs because I'd be able to have hours of uncompressed CD quality music when I have time to burn certain compilations onto a DVD+RDL.

citrus 12-06-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

I just got the A1010 today.
Tried it quickly, and none of my AVCHD folder worked, while they're ok on the pioneer LX55.

Also, when there is a disc in the drive, there is a shrill noise very audible.
Quite annoying.

I've the A1000 & no shrill noise.

How did you rip the video? There is no problem with h.264 in mkv container for my 2 files; the audio was mistakenly set to be ac3/ffmeg; will do a pass-thru from now on. Used handbrake to do the ripping.

Haven't had time to do the videos since I'm still in the process of putting the audio CDs to the hard drive.

Frenshprince 12-06-2011 07:33 PM

Thanks for your answer.

about the sound issue, it could be my player only.
I should try a second A1010 tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Beside, I tried many 23.976 files in MKV and M2TS, and none of them worked at 24p. Always in 60p.

On reviews you can read that 24hz m2ts work perfectly on the s1067.
I guess the A1010 software is still in beta

Frenshprince 12-07-2011 09:33 AM

Hi there,

I put an AVCHD folder here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V49OG2JG

If someone can do the test on his A1000 or A1010.

You just have to unzip the file, and copy the folder "AVCHD" to the root of your USB Hdd or Key.
Then, on the yamaha, go to the "Home media menu" and click on AVCHD.
If it works, it means that only european models have this issue.

Thank you for your help

citrus 12-07-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Hi there,

I put an AVCHD folder here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V49OG2JG

If someone can do the test on his A1000 or A1010.

You just have to unzip the file, and copy the folder "AVCHD" to the root of your USB Hdd or Key.
Then, on the yamaha, go to the "Home media menu" and click on AVCHD.
If it works, it means that only european models have this issue.

Thank you for your help

Placing the AVCHD folder in the root of the usb drive, locks up the player when trying to drill down the folder; had to unplug.

However, if I just copied the m2ts file to my own video subdirectory, the a1000 plays the video without problems.

Most likely, the problem is how your hard drive/nas handle/set up the media sever or dlna. My usb hdd is connected to a netgear router & I still haven't gotten how to get into the root directory even if the drive is mapped in win7. I've found that strange things happen when creating a root folder as my dlna already has some root folder names that will conflict; e.g. the player sees a folder, Picture, but I don't see it in the root.

I created a Video folder but had to change it to videos as is became a "NULL" folder!

My guess is that the AVCHD may be "native" to the DLNA or player. Suggest just copy/move the m2ts to a generic folder name & try playing it.

DLNA & readyshare is new to me & still learning! I find I am not able to delete my mistakes in the ripping of music to a wrong name, so far.

Frenshprince 12-07-2011 06:02 PM

Thanks for your help
Quote:
Placing the AVCHD folder in the root of the usb drive, locks up the player when trying to drill down the folder; had to unplug.

Ok, so US models are concerned too.

Quote:
However, if I just copied the m2ts file to my own video subdirectory, the a1000 plays the video without problems.

Yes, you can play directly m2ts, but you lose all the advantages of AVCHD structure.
Meaning, multiple audio and subtitles, Mainmenu, etc...

AVCHD structure is like a Mini-bluray.

And that works on every player I've used, except this Yamaha.
What a step-back

citrus 12-07-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your help

Ok, so US models are concerned too.

Yes, you can play directly m2ts, but you lose all the advantages of AVCHD structure.
Meaning, multiple audio and subtitles, Mainmenu, etc...

AVCHD structure is like a Mini-bluray.

And that works on every player I've used, except this Yamaha.
What a step-back

The manual shows an AVCHD & Photo, but I don't know if that is from the dlna server or the player's interpretation. Neither folder is in the hard drive. Perhaps the AVCHD directory was expected to be in the server as well as Photo?

I also have a Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver. Looking at the DLNA selection, I see Music, Video & Pictures; Pictures don't exist on the hard drive. I checked the Pictures directory on the AVR & see various aspects that a pic can have, e.g. date taken. I know I didn't put the directories there.

The directory for my video on the hard drive is Videos, so where did the "Video" label come from in both the avr & player?

Is all this Yamaha's implementation of accessing DLNA or what the DLNA server passes to the devices?

Still trying to understand. Hindsight says I should have gotten a real NAS where I would be able to have some control on how DLNA is configured.

Regarding the AVCHD directory, it could be a "dup" like a problem I had with creating a "Video" directory. Or a bug that need to be reported to Yamaha for a fix.

I'm finding I think I need to reboot my router so that it forces a real rescan by its DLNA app.

Frenshprince 12-07-2011 09:44 PM

Concerning the BD-A1010, I'm done.

I'm sending it back to my reseller tomorrow.
Too many bugs I can't deal with.

Big C 12-08-2011 03:25 AM

I'm more into optical discs than external USB storage. So none of this stuff really applies to me. So as far as I'm concerned, the 1010 is a keeper.

I wonder if any Yamaha reps post here like walkamo from Pioneer posts here.

TuenMuner 12-08-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Concerning the BD-A1010, I'm done.

I'm sending it back to my reseller tomorrow.
Too many bugs I can't deal with.

If you need mkv/mt2s/bdmv/avi/avchd playback, look no further, get an Oppo.

Like Big C said, I'm more into the actual discs themselves.

Frenshprince 12-08-2011 04:30 AM

I only need AVCHD playback.
M2TS, AVI, and MKV are not important to me.

And I already have an Oppo 93, but don't really like the PQ.
I prefer the Pioneer 53FD one, and on top, the BD-a1010 one.

But what is really bother me, is that AVCHD playback is supposed to work
It's written on the datasheet, the manual, and on the Home Media Menu.

Big C 12-08-2011 04:42 AM

Quote:

Doesn't the Oppo BDP-93 use Marvell QDEO video processing? How can its picture quality not be as good as the other players you mentioned? Also, I don't think the 1010 uses anything except the MediaTek's onboard video processing, so how can its picture quality be better than the other two players? I find your diagnosis very strange! I'll have to investigate!

Big C 12-08-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

So far, the only little bug I've experienced with the 1010 is that when you have the network access enabled, you have to wait between thirty and sixty seconds at power-up before the player becomes responsive to remote or front panel commands. No biggie.

This player has a feature called "Network Control." If you leave it on, the player still expects an internet connection even when in STANDBY. The problem is that if you have a USB-powered wireless bridge connected to the player like I do, there is no power coming from the player's USB port when the player is in STANDBY. So when the player turns on, for some reason it is waiting to reestablish an internet connection. I discovered that the USB port on my Scientific Atlanta cable box is constently supplying power. So I then unplugged the 1010, reset and reconfigured my modem, routers, and bridges. Finally, once the bridge for this player was connected to the internet, I plugged my Yamaha back in and now when I turn it on, I have no problem. I hope I made myself clear incase anyone else is experiencing a similar problem.

citrus 12-08-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

This player has a feature called "Network Control." If you leave it on, the player still expects an internet connection even when in STANDBY. The problem is that if you have a USB-powered wireless bridge connected to the player like I do, there is no power coming from the player's USB port when the player is in STANDBY. So when the player turns on, for some reason it is waiting to reestablish an internet connection. I discovered that the USB port on my Scientific Atlanta cable box is constently supplying power. So I then unplugged the 1010, reset and reconfigured my modem, routers, and bridges. Finally, once the bridge for this player was connected to the internet, I plugged my Yamaha back in and now when I turn it on, I have no problem. I hope I made myself clear incase anyone else is experiencing a similar problem.

My "solution" was to just turn-off network control as the A1000 is hardwired. Decided to do so because when the player was turned off, it still showed up as an attached device on the router.

I didn't care for having something in the network controlling the player, especially for turning it on/off.

citrus 12-08-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

I'm more into music so the player doesn't do badly for me as the music files are in flac & can be played with the avr as being more convienent.

Any video I rip will be single files, I think as they are old stuff.

Big C 12-09-2011 09:44 AM

I chose this player over the Oppo because it definatly converts DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz, as opposed to the Oppo's 88.2 KHz. Once I solved the problem in which it froze during the first thirty to sixty seconds of power-on, I don't think I could be happier. Although I only had the player for ten days. So I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hmmm. Considering how good this player is, you'd think there would be more activity in this thread. This thread seems almost as quiet as a thread for a noname brand player!

citrus 12-09-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

I chose this player over the Oppo because it definatly converts DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz, as opposed to the Oppo's 88.2 KHz. Once I solved the problem in which it froze during the first thirty to sixty seconds of power-on, I don't think I could be happier. Although I only had the player for ten days. So I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hmmm. Considering how good this player is, you'd think there would be more activity in this thread. This thread seems almost as quiet as a thread for a noname brand player!

For such a high price, the Oppo didn't do pcm at 176.4; maybe they decided to go the apple way & overcharge for their products.

The Yamaha players are hard to find & for a long time the Yamaha online said they didn't have any in stock.

However, the lack of activity may be more like the products for the "high end" & high priced audio players; e.g. Cambridge Audio, McIntosh, Krell(?), Integra, etc.

marcusj50 12-09-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post

For such a high price, the Oppo didn't do pcm at 176.4; maybe they decided to go the apple way & overcharge for their products.

The Yamaha players are hard to find & for a long time the Yamaha online said they didn't have any in stock.

However, the lack of activity may be more like the products for the "high end" & high priced audio players; e.g. Cambridge Audio, McIntosh, Krell(?), Integra, etc.

Does anyone know why these are so hard to find? Newegg doesn't offer and Amazon always says they are sold out.

grizzified 12-09-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post

Does anyone know why these are so hard to find? Newegg doesn't offer and Amazon always says they are sold out.

Got mine from ABT...currently in stock

TuenMuner 12-11-2011 12:54 PM

Just saw this post in the UD7006 thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21307641

The interface on the UD7006 looks shocking similar to BD-A1010. So I would say the Yamaha is heavily related to the Denon/Marantz twins. From what I heard, the Denon twins are made by Inkel...Sherwood's parent company.

Big C 12-13-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Just saw this post in the UD7006 thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21307641

The interface on the UD7006 looks shocking similar to BD-A1010. So I would say the Yamaha is heavily related to the Denon/Marantz twins. From what I heard, the Denon twins are made by Inkel...Sherwood's parent company.

After your last post, I was actually hoping that the method of making the UD7006 multi-region would apply to this Yamaha. However, that requires a firmware swap. Considering that the players use different firmware, it doesn't look like the answer.

joerod 12-14-2011 10:01 PM

Think I will check one of these out this weekend.

tcfish19 12-15-2011 02:09 PM

I've got one coming next week. I'm hoping it's as good as advertised.

Big C 12-16-2011 05:36 AM

Out of Yamaha's four MediaTek players, the only one which doesn't have the De-interlacing options of Auto/Film/Video is the BD-S667. I'm wondering if this is a feature of the MediaTek chipset, or if Yamaha chose Anchor Bay, Marvell, or someone like that for video processing. You'd think that if additional video processing was used, such a feature would be listed. The only thing that's got me wondering is that someone here posted that the BD-A1010 has better picture quality than the Oppo BDP-93 and Pioneer BDP-53FD/LX55. How can that be if the Oppo and Pioneer use the Marvell QDeo video processing?

wrxman 12-16-2011 02:57 PM

My new BD-A1010 will be arriving on Monday! I will be pulling the Pioneer 51FD out of the platform.

joerod 12-16-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 View Post

I've got one coming next week. I'm hoping it's as good as advertised.

Same here.

wrxman 12-22-2011 09:24 AM

I have been test driving my BD-1010A this week and I like the performance.

Bluerays and DVD's are performing well with no issue. SACD - DSD works flawlessly to my Pioneer Elite Receiver via HDMI.

Pros: It pretty much plays everything well. The DAC's for analog outs is fairly neutral across the spectrum, which I like . The bass / LFE seems to be a bit stronger compared to other players. The Internet connection is nice to have.

Cons: Buttons, display, and face plate on the unit look cheap. The remote also feels cheap (I think this is where Yamaha cut costs). The Internet Menu and selections feels very "Beta" release and rushed into production. Hopefully more options and polish will be available to interact with Youtube, etc. A firmware update to support Pandora would also be nice.

For me overall, the important stuff is audio and video performance with disc's in hand as opposed to streaming, I like it so far!

If this one starts to bomb out over time like my Pioneer 51FD, then I guess I will try Oppo next!

Thanks!

Big C 12-23-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

I have been test driving my BD-1010A this week and I like the performance.

Bluerays and DVD's are performing well with no issue. SACD - DSD works flawlessly to my Pioneer Elite Receiver via HDMI.

Pros: It pretty much plays everything well. The DAC's for analog outs is fairly neutral across the spectrum, which I like . The bass / LFE seems to be a bit stronger compared to other players. The Internet connection is nice to have.

Cons: Buttons, display, and face plate on the unit look cheap. The remote also feels cheap (I think this is where Yamaha cut costs). The Internet Menu and selections feels very "Beta" release and rushed into production. Hopefully more options and polish will be available to interact with Youtube, etc. A firmware update to support Pandora would also be nice.

For me overall, the important stuff is audio and video performance with disc's in hand as opposed to streaming, I like it so far!

If this one starts to bomb out over time like my Pioneer 51FD, then I guess I will try Oppo next!

Thanks!

Which Elite receiver do you have? If it doesn't use DSD-capable DACs, then if playing SACD via HDMI, you should set the Yamaha's SACD output via HDMI to PCM. When playing multi-channel areas of SACDs, Elite receivers from 2009 to the present convert DSD to PCM at 88.2 KHz. However, if you tell the Yamaha to do the DSD-to-PCM conversion via HDMI, it will do it at 176.4 KHz.

wrxman 12-23-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Which Elite receiver do you have? If it doesn't use DSD-capable DACs, then if playing SACD via HDMI, you should set the Yamaha's SACD output via HDMI to PCM. When playing multi-channel areas of SACDs, Elite receivers from 2009 to the present convert DSD to PCM at 88.2 KHz. However, if you tell the Yamaha to do the DSD-to-PCM conversion via HDMI, it will do it at 176.4 KHz.

I have an Elite VSX-03. I have been very pleased with it.

Big C 12-23-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

I have an Elite VSX-03. I have been very pleased with it.

Check what kind of DAC it has. I have a feeling that it would be either Burr-Brown PCM17XX or Wolfson WM8XXXX. See if you can find that info. To make matters easier, while the Yamaha is playing the multi-channel area of an SACD with SACD Output set to DSD, press the STATUS button on the VSX-03 remote. If it says FS 88.2 KHz, then set the Yamaha's SACD output to PCM. Then your VSX-03 should say FS 176.4 KHz, and you'll get better SACD playback.

wrxman 12-23-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Check what kind of DAC it has. I have a feeling that it would be either Burr-Brown PCM17XX or Wolfson WM8XXXX. See if you can find that info. To make matters easier, while the Yamaha is playing the multi-channel area of an SACD with SACD Output set to DSD, press the STATUS button on the VSX-03 remote. If it says FS 88.2 KHz, then set the Yamaha's SACD output to PCM. Then your VSX-03 should say FS 176.4 KHz, and you'll get better SACD playback.

192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8728 DAC

Big C 12-23-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8728 DAC

After seeing the specs on that DAC, you really should use the Yamaha's multi-channel analog section if your receiver has the inputs for it and doesn't apply any analog-to-PCM conversion. My receiver, the VSX-32, uses Burr-Brown PCM1691 DAC, which is better than the WM8728. While the Yamaha's built-in DAC is better than the DACs in your receiver and mine, my receiver doesn't have multi-channel analog input. So SACD output set to PCM at 176.4 KHz via HDMI is going to be the best I can get. Because you can use the AKM DAC in the Yamaha, you might be a little bit better off than me. Congradulations on that one!

wrxman 12-23-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

After seeing the specs on that DAC, you really should use the Yamaha's multi-channel analog section if your receiver has the inputs for it and doesn't apply any analog-to-PCM conversion. My receiver, the VSX-32, uses Burr-Brown PCM1691 DAC, which is better than the WM8728. While the Yamaha's built-in DAC is better than the DACs in your receiver and mine, my receiver doesn't have multi-channel analog input. So SACD output set to PCM at 176.4 KHz via HDMI is going to be the best I can get. Because you can use the AKM DAC in the Yamaha, you might be a little bit better off than me. Congradulations on that one!

lol... I hear ya. I really hate my BDP-51 started to fail, it had multiple Wolfson WM8740 DAC's. It could only play redbook CD's (well, Blueray and DVD-V too) but it was a phenomenal CD transport. I have the BDP-51 listed on Audigon now .

The best I have been able to obtain out the VSX03 is 88.2khz when the Yamaha is sending PCM. Yes, I have the multi-analog inputs on the VSX03, but I think I will stick to DSD over HDMI for simplicity. My hearing is not the best, getting too old and fired too many shotguns as a kid . My wife is a novice sound engineer for live stage productions and her hearing is much better than mine; I have auditioned several setups for her with the Yamaha and she likes the sound of the DSD arrangement. She was able to hear faults in the piano tuning on various recordings...so if she can do that, I am very happy with the quality!

TuenMuner 12-23-2011 02:10 PM

I have yet to give A1010's analog section a run, since I have a standalone CD player already.

May be I should try it out someday.

Big C 12-23-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

lol... I hear ya. I really hate my BDP-51 started to fail, it had multiple Wolfson WM8740 DAC's. It could only play redbook CD's (well, Blueray and DVD-V too) but it was a phenomenal CD transport. I have the BDP-51 listed on Audigon now .

The best I have been able to obtain out the VSX03 is 88.2khz when the Yamaha is sending PCM. Yes, I have the multi-analog inputs on the VSX03, but I think I will stick to DSD over HDMI for simplicity. My hearing is not the best, getting too old and fired too many shotguns as a kid . My wife is a novice sound engineer for live stage productions and her hearing is much better than mine; I have auditioned several setups for her with the Yamaha and she likes the sound of the DSD arrangement. She was able to hear faults in the piano tuning on various recordings...so if she can do that, I am very happy with the quality!

Wait. Did you say even when the Yamaha sends SACD as PCM, your VSX-03 says FS 88.2 KHz? If that was me, I would have a hard time accepting that especially after being told that the player can convert DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz. Does your VSX-03 have a PURE DIRECT mode? Try turning that on and check the FS value. If it says 176.4 KHz, then that means that the VSX-03 cannot apply processing such as Phase Control, MCACC, downmixing, and bass management without lowering the FS value. My surround speakers aren't directly behind me. They're towards the rere left of my listening position. I'm sure there is a way to electronicly correct that, but I'd rather keep a higher FS value for better tone quality. Regarding the settings on the BD-A1010: Are you aware of the SACD Output submenu in the AUDIO page? Particularly, under HDMI, the choices of DSD or PCM? If set to PCM, maybe you should set all the speakers to LARGE and the subwoofer to ENABLE. I don't know why, but it bugs me that you're not able to obtain the 176.4 KHz FS value I'm obtaining, and I'd like to see if I could solve the problem.

wrxman 12-23-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Wait. Did you say even when the Yamaha sends SACD as PCM, your VSX-03 says FS 88.2 KHz? If that was me, I would have a hard time accepting that especially after being told that the player can convert DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz. Does your VSX-03 have a PURE DIRECT mode? Try turning that on and check the FS value. If it says 176.4 KHz, then that means that the VSX-03 cannot apply processing such as Phase Control, MCACC, downmixing, and bass management without lowering the FS value. My surround speakers aren't directly behind me. They're towards the rere left of my listening position. I'm sure there is a way to electronicly correct that, but I'd rather keep a higher FS value for better tone quality. Regarding the settings on the BD-A1010: Are you aware of the SACD Output submenu in the AUDIO page? Particularly, under HDMI, the choices of DSD or PCM? If set to PCM, maybe you should set all the speakers to LARGE and the subwoofer to ENABLE. I don't know why, but it bugs me that you're not able to obtain the 176.4 KHz FS value I'm obtaining, and I'd like to see if I could solve the problem.

I believe you are correct!..I switched the VSX03 to Pure Direct mode and it just displays PCM DIRECT on the screen now instead of 88.2 PCM. It doesn't list the frequency any more. Sounds very good but it sounded good before! The VSX-03 doesnt list the FS value during the Status cycle.

I use Pure Direct all the time on the analog inputs so I didnt really think about it with the HDMI hookup.

Thanks for your help!

Big C 12-24-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

I believe you are correct!..I switched the VSX03 to Pure Direct mode and it just displays PCM DIRECT on the screen now instead of 88.2 PCM. It doesn't list the frequency any more. Sounds very good but it sounded good before! The VSX-03 doesnt list the FS value during the Status cycle.

I use Pure Direct all the time on the analog inputs so I didnt really think about it with the HDMI hookup.

Thanks for your help!

But if your VSX-03 is not giving the FS value, how do you know that the 176.4 KHz PCM signal is being converted from digital directly to analog? Shouldn't it still be showing an FS value?

wrxman 12-24-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

But if your VSX-03 is not giving the FS value, how do you know that the 176.4 KHz PCM signal is being converted from digital directly to analog? Shouldn't it still be showing an FS value?

I went digging through VSX03 manual again. I found a very tiny footnote that stated PCM is supported over HDMI at the following frequencies: 32, 44.1, 88.2, and 96 kHz

Oh well, we tried... looks like I will have to upgrade the receiver (my wife will shoot me if I even suggest it ) ! Everything still sounds wonderful in the current arrangement.

I may have to start pondering the new Yamaha receivers to match up with the BD1010 .... hehe!

Thanks for your help!

citrus 12-24-2011 11:21 AM

Yamaha BD-A1010 & VCD?

Looking at Yamaha's very bad comparison table between the A1000 & A1010, aside from the fact that the A1010 is "just about all blank", I noticed that the VCD format was listed for the A1000. The manual doesn't say that the A1000 will play VCD disks.

Finally decided to try 1 of 4 VCDs I have & found that the A1000 does play it! Granted the resolution isn't as good as DVD, I'm unable to replace the 4 that I have.

Just curious if the A1010 will also play VCDs; if not, then perhaps that may be another reason for the price drop outside of the component out restrictions by the video industry.

Never heard of any blu-ray players capable of playing the VCD/SVCD type disks but I got one now!

Big C 12-24-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

I went digging through VSX03 manual again. I found a very tiny footnote that stated PCM is supported over HDMI at the following frequencies: 32, 44.1, 88.2, and 96 kHz

Oh well, we tried... looks like I will have to upgrade the receiver (my wife will shoot me if I even suggest it ) ! Everything still sounds wonderful in the current arrangement.

I may have to start pondering the new Yamaha receivers to match up with the BD1010 .... hehe!

Thanks for your help!

Try taking advantage of the Yamaha's DAC and connect it to your receiver via multi-channel analog. According to the written specs, the particular AKM multi-channel DAC in the 1010 is better than the particular Wolfsons in your VSX-03. Also, the AKM DAC in the Yamaha will accept pure DSD and according to the specs on the Yamaha's AKM DAC, there is no mention of the 50 KHz cutoff filter. So you might be able to reproduce tones up to 100 KHz during SACD playback. When DSD is converted to PCM at 176.4 KHz, you get a frequency response of up to 80 KHz, which is good if you're on a budget, yet you need to go the HDMI route like me. Once you have the player connected via both methods, do a side-by-side comparison and find out which one sounds better. According to the written specs on the DACs, I would think that you might get better results when connected via multi-channel analog. Try it and see. Play with it.

Stilly77 12-25-2011 03:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your help!

My Onkyo DV-SP506 can send 6 ch PCM over HDMI at 176.4.

My Pioneer VSX-01TXH receiver shows "PCM 176 Stereo" when the stereo layer of a SACD is played.

When switching to the multichannel layer, the VSX-01 displays "PCM 88.2" even though the Onkyo is sending a 176.4 signal.

Pure Direct does not display frequency.

My Yamaha RX-V765 does accept and display a 176.4 multichannel PCM signal being received with the same Onkyo player.