Opinions on the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 127 Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post

dreaux: Have you noticed a difference in PQ going from the 651 to the 751?
I'm maybe buying a 651 today, so any impressions would be appreciated

Should mention as well, the 651 has great picture controls, much more than the Denon 2012. You can set up PQ any way you want.
Although I found leaving all at 0 works better for me.

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
dreaux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 127 Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got my 751 hooked up last night so havent had chance to do much yet. Its odd getting used to setting speaker distances etc in the player when I've been used to doing everything in the amp.

Here's some unboxing photos to keep everyone going

Typical MA quality packing - following the Apple example...

Attachment 247319


Attachment 247320


Attachment 247321

4 sets Chord Cobra to hook up the analogue multi-channel outputs

Attachment 247322

Not quite organised in the rack but sitting comfortably under its 740C stable-mate. I have a Humax PVR just arrived to fit in here too so a bit of tidying up to do.

Attachment 247323

LOTS of connections. I'm using a Wireworld Chroma 6 for HDMI (switched to video only), 8 Chord Chroma analogue interconnects plus Ethernet. I also hooked up a spare set of Chord Chameleon Silver Plus to the dedicated stereo outputs.

Attachment 247324
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
damienbuckley is offline  
post #63 of 127 Old 05-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post


I believe there is no difference in PQ form the 751 to the 651, at least from what I have read. The real difference is the 751 analog audio outputs, and the 751 comes with a Wifi dongle. If you are using HDMI for video and audio there should be no noticeable difference. I am not expecting to see a difference in the PQ.

I am getting it today so I will know more and report back.

The first thing you will notice with the 651 is the incredible audio quality.
I sent back my Denon 2012 to exchange for the 751. Denon had a beautiful picture but not AQ of a Cambridge.

Sorry to hear you were the guinea pig but pleased to hear you tried and swapped out the 2012 as it reaffirms my decision to go with the 751
damienbuckley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 127 Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post


Yes I think so. I just exchanged my 651 to the 751BD. Looking to use the analog outputs this time, although the HDMI sounding very nice.

Not a lot of activity on this thread is there.

I think its about to get a LOT busier... I received my 751 last night. Also using the analogue outputs. I see a lot of settings/setup-discussion going on here hahahaha.
damienbuckley is offline  
post #65 of 127 Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post


Yes I think so. I just exchanged my 651 to the 751BD. Looking to use the analog outputs this time, although the HDMI sounding very nice.

Not a lot of activity on this thread is there.

Sorry I didnt answer this - I didnt bother with the multi-region player in the end. I opted to spend a bit more on the analogue interconnects - I got a GREAT deal on soe, Chord Cobra - I'd been looking at Chord Crimson but these are a fair step-up and at not much more momey.

I dont buy a lot of BluRays - just my favourites and a couple music concert discs, plus I noticed that for one we are in the same region as Europe & UK and also a lot of BD's arent region-coded anyways.
damienbuckley is offline  
post #66 of 127 Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

I think its about to get a LOT busier... I received my 751 last night. Also using the analogue outputs. I see a lot of settings/setup-discussion going on here hahahaha.

Are you going analog for Blu-ray viewing? Maybe you can explain to me the advantage of using analog. I did finally go with the 751BD and got it today.

I admit I am somewhat new to the audio part of Blu-ray players but I thought the reason people went to the analog was to pick up a richness that is not found with digital sound. That the 'audiophiles' prefered analog.
Perhaps I misunderstood what all the fuss was about with analog listening.

If HDMI is as rich and pure I will go with that. I heard the 751BD over HDMI and the sound was much deeper and better than on a Denon 2012 I was listening to.

The Cambridge 751BD claims let the 751 do the decoding...its better than most AVR's.

I have a mid range AVR ...a Yamaha AX800. For blu-ray viewing should i go with HDMI or analog audio?

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
dreaux is offline  
post #67 of 127 Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post


Are you going analog for Blu-ray viewing? Maybe you can explain to me the advantage of using analog. I did finally go with the 751BD and got it today.

I admit I am somewhat new to the audio part of Blu-ray players but I thought the reason people went to the analog was to pick up a richness that is not found with digital sound. That the 'audiophiles' prefered analog.
Perhaps I misunderstood what all the fuss was about with analog listening.

If HDMI is as rich and pure I will go with that. I heard the 751BD over HDMI and the sound was much deeper and better than on a Denon 2012 I was listening to.

The Cambridge 751BD claims let the 751 do the decoding...its better than most AVR's.

I have a mid range AVR ...a Yamaha AX800. For blu-ray viewing should i go with HDMI or analog audio?

Definitely go analogue. Either way, you are decoding digital data on the disc (BluRay/CD etc) to analogue audio. What you hear will be determined by the quality and nature of this conversion. I think the comparison to analogue audio you're confused with is with that of true analogue source material such as vinyl rather than CD etc which stores audio digitally. A lot of people do prefer this sound but the discussion is not really relevant when we are discussing BluRay etc as this is all-digital media.

The difference between HDMI/analogue on your player is that if you send audio to the receiver by HDMI, the receiver will do the digital to analogue conversion. If you use the analogue outputs, the player (751) does the D-A conversion and sends the analogue audio to the receiver for amplification.

The main features of the the 751 are the Wolfson Digital to Analogue converters and also the Sharc upsampling DSP. The 751 upsamples the data (all channels) prior to D-A conversion.

I am able to do a fairly direct comparison as my receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90 - has the same series of Wolfson DAC's as the 751 and also my 740C cd player. The main difference is that whereas my CD player upsamples the audio to 24bit, 382kHz prior to DA conversion, the amp does not. If I switch between digital and analogue connections with my CD player, the difference is quite significant - it sounds a lot larger with a better soundstage. Bass is also lower and cleaner. Although I havent had much chance to experiment yet, a couple disc spins last night gave me a lot better sound than my current Panasonic BluRay/PVR combo which I have connected just HDMI.

With your AVR, you should have an improvement as the Burr Brown DAC's in the Yamaha arent on the same level as the Wolfsons in the 751. I'm pretty sure the Denon 2012 also has Burr Brown DAC's but as discussed it would depend how it was set up as to whether you were listening to the player's DAC's or the receivers...

Once I've got the 751 set up properly and had chance to do some extended listening I'll report back.

If you werent going analogue (ie just HDMI & letting your receiver decode) you may as well get the 651 as the results would be much the same.

Hope this helps
damienbuckley is offline  
post #68 of 127 Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just another point - if you're mot sure or unconvinced, swap between audio over HDMI and analogue and see what you prefer.
damienbuckley is offline  
post #69 of 127 Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Definitely go analogue. Either way, you are decoding digital data on the disc (BluRay/CD etc) to analogue audio. What you hear will be determined by the quality and nature of this conversion. I think the comparison to analogue audio you're confused with is with that of true analogue source material such as vinyl rather than CD etc which stores audio digitally. A lot of people do prefer this sound but the discussion is not really relevant when we are discussing BluRay etc as this is all-digital media.

The difference between HDMI/analogue on your player is that if you send audio to the receiver by HDMI, the receiver will do the digital to analogue conversion. If you use the analogue outputs, the player (751) does the D-A conversion and sends the analogue audio to the receiver for amplification.

The main features of the the 751 are the Wolfson Digital to Analogue converters and also the Sharc upsampling DSP. The 751 upsamples the data (all channels) prior to D-A conversion.

I am able to do a fairly direct comparison as my receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90 - has the same series of Wolfson DAC's as the 751 and also my 740C cd player. The main difference is that whereas my CD player upsamples the audio to 24bit, 382kHz prior to DA conversion, the amp does not. If I switch between digital and analogue connections with my CD player, the difference is quite significant - it sounds a lot larger with a better soundstage. Bass is also lower and cleaner. Although I havent had much chance to experiment yet, a couple disc spins last night gave me a lot better sound than my current Panasonic BluRay/PVR combo which I have connected just HDMI.

With your AVR, you should have an improvement as the Burr Brown DAC's in the Yamaha arent on the same level as the Wolfsons in the 751. I'm pretty sure the Denon 2012 also has Burr Brown DAC's but as discussed it would depend how it was set up as to whether you were listening to the player's DAC's or the receivers...

Once I've got the 751 set up properly and had chance to do some extended listening I'll report back.

If you werent going analogue (ie just HDMI & letting your receiver decode) you may as well get the 651 as the results would be much the same.

Hope this helps

Thanks much for those insights. I see I have much to learn on the audio side of this. I did get the 751 to go analog so I will try it and see how it sounds.

Can you recommend some good audio cables or does that make a difference?

If I go analog will my Yamaha let it(audio from the 751) pass through without effecting the sound quality? Is it like a source direct mode where as you say the AVR is just an amp? Just trying to understand the process.

Don't have any audio RCA cables yet so can't do the ear test until I buy some.

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
dreaux is offline  
post #70 of 127 Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Depends on your budget for cables. I was going to get Chord Crimson which are a reasonable price yet highly regarded but my dealer offered me a great price on some Chord Cobra she had in stock so I got those. Cambridge Audio naturally recommend their own cables but I've never seen them in Australia.

You should put your amp into Analogue Direct or Pure mode or whatever similar setting you have - sorry, I'm not familiar with it.
damienbuckley is offline  
post #71 of 127 Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just on the cables - asking whether or not they make a difference is an age-old master debate I'm not getting into. In my setup I've definitely benefited from investing in quality cables so in my opinion, its definitely worth it, yes. Of course with 4 sets to buy, I didnt go as upmarket as I have for say 2 channel connections. Its a compromise but I got lucky with the Chord Cobra which are a good mid-range cable and match in well as I have Chord speaker cable too.
damienbuckley is offline  
post #72 of 127 Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Depends on your budget for cables. I was going to get Chord Crimson which are a reasonable price yet highly regarded but my dealer offered me a great price on some Chord Cobra she had in stock so I got those. Cambridge Audio naturally recommend their own cables but I've never seen them in Australia.

You should put your amp into Analogue Direct or Pure mode or whatever similar setting you have - sorry, I'm not familiar with it.

Got it, thanks. I ordered some cables from Crutchfield.
Anxious to try analog out.

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
dreaux is offline  
post #73 of 127 Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Newbie
 
Cambridge_Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there- good to see people getting on well with the 751BD.

The general consensus in the office is that for DVD-A and SACD material in particular is that unless your AV Receiver has seriously good audio decoding, we generally advocate the analogue connections for multichannel audio. DSD decoding is a bit of dark art and while there are some exceptional products out there, the 751 can keep pace with most products at or near the price.

Film material is a slightly different case because there is a stronger argument that this is what AV Receivers are really built to do. On a personal level, I generally let the AV amp handle my DTS-Master HD and legacy film audio formats. As ever, it never hurts to experiment.
Regards
Cambridge Audio
Cambridge_Audio is offline  
post #74 of 127 Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge_Audio View Post

Hello there- good to see people getting on well with the 751BD.

The general consensus in the office is that for DVD-A and SACD material in particular is that unless your AV Receiver has seriously good audio decoding, we generally advocate the analogue connections for multichannel audio. DSD decoding is a bit of dark art and while there are some exceptional products out there, the 751 can keep pace with most products at or near the price.

Film material is a slightly different case because there is a stronger argument that this is what AV Receivers are really built to do. On a personal level, I generally let the AV amp handle my DTS-Master HD and legacy film audio formats. As ever, it never hurts to experiment.
Regards
Cambridge Audio

Good to have you here.

Thanks for info. I am going to experiment and see what I like best.

Is it my imagination or does the 751BD have better PQ than the 651?
I had a 651 and have since upgraded to the 751BD and it looks as if the PQ is better. But on the specs of the two, both appear to have the same chips.

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
dreaux is offline  
post #75 of 127 Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
fuzzybk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does the 751BD downgrade DSD to PCM for SACD via the analog outputs? My ARCAM DV139 does this but it still sounds pretty good.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers - BLUESOUND Node
fuzzybk is offline  
post #76 of 127 Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It has to decimate (not itself a downgrade) to PCM because the Wolfson 8740 DACs aren't DSD capable.

CA: DSD > PCM 88.2kHz > upsampled 192kHz

Arcam (and Sony): DSD > PCM 176.4kHz
MUCH better way than down- and upsampled and 176.4 is a whole integer multiple of 44.1 so it's simpler and less artefact prone

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
post #77 of 127 Old 05-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
fuzzybk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks Killian.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers - BLUESOUND Node
fuzzybk is offline  
post #78 of 127 Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Member
 
smaragd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any CA 751BD users here who upgraded from an Oppo BDP83?
I'm using analog outputs from the Oppo BDP-83 into the analog ins on a Marantz SR7005.
Seriously considering upgrading to the CA 751BD for the sake of further improving the analog audio quality...
smaragd is offline  
post #79 of 127 Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Been living with the 751 for a couple weeks now and really enjoying it. I've had the chance to listen to a couple SACD's & a DVD-A (Brothers in Arms Anniversary Ed, Claire Martin - He Never Mentioned Love & The Beatles 'Love' album) I've had a while but never been able to play and the sound is superb, really enjoyable.

I watched Aliens on Friday from the BluRay anthology and the sound was staggering. I watched Alien prior to getting the 751 and that was great but there is a definite step-up in sound over my previous player and letting the amp handle the sound. I have a Pioneer LX90 which is no slouch I can tell you but running the 751 into the multi-channel analogue inputs has revealed greater detail, a bigger soundstage and an all-round more engaging experience.

I bought Adele, Live at the Royal Albert Hall on BluRay a month or so ago and watched it with my old player and throughly enjoyed it but playing it again through the 751 was great, al,ost like going from an average to an audiophile CD player in terms of the difference; really crisp vocals, more detail and separation of instruments. If you enjoy music and want to give your system a work-out, particularly a music-focussed player like the 751 I can hoghly recommend this disc.

I havent tried it with straight CD yet as I already have a 740C so CD playing wasnt the main priority for buying the 751. I'll definitely be looking around for more SACD and audio BluRay from now on.

I auditioned the 651 a while ago and wasnt impressed enough to buy it, thankfully given the 751's arrival. Picture on bothnplayers is excellent but the 751 is in an entirely different league for audio when running through its analogue outputs,
damienbuckley is offline  
post #80 of 127 Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Been living with the 751 for a couple weeks now and really enjoying it. I've had the chance to listen to a couple SACD's & a DVD-A (Brothers in Arms Anniversary Ed, Claire Martin - He Never Mentioned Love & The Beatles 'Love' album) I've had a while but never been able to play and the sound is superb, really enjoyable.
I watched Aliens on Friday from the BluRay anthology and the sound was staggering. I watched Alien prior to getting the 751 and that was great but there is a definite step-up in sound over my previous player and letting the amp handle the sound. I have a Pioneer LX90 which is no slouch I can tell you but running the 751 into the multi-channel analogue inputs has revealed greater detail, a bigger soundstage and an all-round more engaging experience.
I bought Adele, Live at the Royal Albert Hall on BluRay a month or so ago and watched it with my old player and throughly enjoyed it but playing it again through the 751 was great, al,ost like going from an average to an audiophile CD player in terms of the difference; really crisp vocals, more detail and separation of instruments. If you enjoy music and want to give your system a work-out, particularly a music-focussed player like the 751 I can hoghly recommend this disc.
I havent tried it with straight CD yet as I already have a 740C so CD playing wasnt the main priority for buying the 751. I'll definitely be looking around for more SACD and audio BluRay from now on.
I auditioned the 651 a while ago and wasnt impressed enough to buy it, thankfully given the 751's arrival. Picture on bothnplayers is excellent but the 751 is in an entirely different league for audio when running through its analogue outputs,

You prefered the analog audio over the HDMI audio on the Aliens Blu-ray? Were you doing 7.1 or 5.1?

I was under the impression that for Home Theater, Blu-ray DVD viewing HDMI was a better choice. Perhaps not I see.

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
dreaux is offline  
post #81 of 127 Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The sound was better over analogue. Whether or not something is going to be better over HDMI or from the players analogue outputs isnt something you can apply a general rule to. If your players audio decoding is superior to your amp's then ok, if not, use HD,I & let your amp do the work. IMO few people are going to buy the 751 to use sound over HDMI. If you aren't going to use the analogue outputs on the 751 you ,ay as well buy the 651 and sabe the money.

I have a 7.1 setup. I'm not sure whether the Aliens BluRay is 5.1 or 7.1
damienbuckley is offline  
post #82 of 127 Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

The sound was better over analogue. Whether or not something is going to be better over HDMI or from the players analogue outputs isnt something you can apply a general rule to. If your players audio decoding is superior to your amp's then ok, if not, use HD,I & let your amp do the work. IMO few people are going to buy the 751 to use sound over HDMI. If you aren't going to use the analogue outputs on the 751 you ,ay as well buy the 651 and sabe the money.
I have a 7.1 setup. I'm not sure whether the Aliens BluRay is 5.1 or 7.1

Yes I thought so. I bought the 751 to do analog with my AVR, a Yamaha RX-A810 only to find it does not have multi analog 7.1 inputs. Well that clearly was an oversight on my part to assume. So I really haven't had a chance to try out the analog.
I am in the process of selling my Yamaha and have bought the Onkyo TX-NR3009 which was marked down in price.
Hope to get it today and set it up. It can be used where the Onkyo does not do any processing just the 751. I have been using HDMI over the past few years and the analog option is new to me.

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
dreaux is offline  
post #83 of 127 Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Member
 
kpodolski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been thinking about buying the 751BD but one thing is clawing at the back of my brain.

According to Cambridge, "The 751BD uses 5 separate Wolfson WM8740 D/A converters, to ensure that every audio channel is decoded in the highest possible quality". I'm curious about the DAC assignment. Being a 7.1 plus 2ch unit, which channels get how many DAC's? Do the 2ch outs use more DAC's in 2ch mode when not using the mutli-channel out?
kpodolski is offline  
post #84 of 127 Old 06-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
damienbuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 751 has dedicated 2ch ouputs which I imagine would use one DAC per channel when operating that way. As for 7.1 I doubt splitting two DAC's for 4 rear channels makes a great deal of difference. I think most receivers work this way too.
damienbuckley is offline  
post #85 of 127 Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
No, one channel of each DAC for each discrete output channel.
Resons:
1. Don't think it's possible to have a 2CH DAC for 4 discrete channels.
2. CA never claims otherwise for the 751 whereas they do clearly for the CDPs.
3. No separate audio specs for the dedicated stereo outputs are published to show they are different or superior.
4. A review with pictures of the internals doesn't reveal (as far as one can tell) more than one DAC for the stereo output.

I know of no player/receiver in which DAC channels can be dynamically assigned and shared (manually or automatically) depending on number of active channels.

The only differences in the dedicated stereo outputs that I can tell are:
1. gold plated connectors;
2. no BM.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
post #86 of 127 Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Member
 
kpodolski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review, Kilian. I missed that one.

According to the reviewer, there was no audio output from SACD/DVD-A if the HDMI cable was not connected to a display. Does anyone have experience with this? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using this as a music player only without having to have the display tuned on?
kpodolski is offline  
post #87 of 127 Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Newbie
 
dond2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new to computer audio. I recently got a refurbished 751bd (at a decently reduced price from Richer Sounds, the sole CA supplier in uk, via their ebay outlet) and I'm using it purely as a 'universal' audio source so far. I'm very pleased with its handling of CDs and SACDs in my mid-fi setup and I have begun to download hi-res audio files from Linn and other sites. To date I've burned these to DVD-A discs but now I want to try to send them wirelessly to the 751 which connects perfectly to my home network via the supplied dongle. According to http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/2011/06/cambridge-audio-751bd-blu-ray-universal.html

Using the supplied wireless dongle and any UpNP server, (PC w/Media 7, Apple with Twonky, EyE Connect, or NAS Drive) you can stream your entire music library into the Azur 751BD using exclusive Anagram Q5 up-sampling to get REAL 24-bit native performance without any wires.

My first problem is that the 751 only seems to recognise my wife's Windows computer on the 'my network' screen of the home page and not my Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) laptop where all my music files are stored. I think I've read somewhere that the software in the 751 is Linux based so, if true, that is ironic. Or I may (not for the first time) have missed something important. I have contacted CA Support but, as yet, not had a suggested solution. Has anyone out there had the same problem and found a solution?
dond2 is offline  
post #88 of 127 Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,674
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3051
^^^
You must have a DNLA server running on a PC for the player to see it. Windows Media Player offers a crude DNLA function that sometimes works, sometimes not. Consult the various appropriate threads in the streaming forum for topics related to DNLA software, but Servio and Twonky are popular.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #89 of 127 Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
dond2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

^^^
You must have a DNLA server running on a PC for the player to see it. Windows Media Player offers a crude DNLA function that sometimes works, sometimes not. Consult the various appropriate threads in the streaming forum for topics related to DNLA software, but Servio and Twonky are popular.

Thanks for that advice. Today I installed Twonky on my linux laptop (via Wine for simpliciy of installation) and also on my wife's windows7 machine. Installation was straightforward and the ca751 'saw' both machines and was able to 'pull' music from them, using the controls on the 'my network' screen of the 751. But neither machine was able to 'push' successfully from Twonky. The Twonky 'settings' screen did say music was streaming but the sounds came through the laptop speakers and not the 751. Still it counts as progress.smile.gif

I'll follow up your suggestion and look in a different forum.
dond2 is offline  
post #90 of 127 Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,674
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond2 View Post


Thanks for that advice. Today I installed Twonky on my linux laptop (via Wine for simpliciy of installation) and also on my wife's windows7 machine. Installation was straightforward and the ca751 'saw' both machines and was able to 'pull' music from them, using the controls on the 'my network' screen of the 751. But neither machine was able to 'push' successfully from Twonky. The Twonky 'settings' screen did say music was streaming but the sounds came through the laptop speakers and not the 751. Still it counts as progress.smile.gif

I'll follow up your suggestion and look in a different forum.

You cannot "push" content to the player, only "pull" from the player.
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751bd 3d Compatible Universal Blu Ray Player Black , Blu Ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off