Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #3811 of 3977 Old 12-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As far as I know, there are only four buttons on the player, On/Off, Eject, Play, and Stop. It seems impossible to reach the menu on the TV-screen without the remote.

I have salty sea nearby, and that is not so good I think! My old analog stereo receiver lost its sound because of that damp/salt, I believe. I took off the top and sprayed the parts with some universal oil lubricant for the purpose, and it helped! I don't have that oil now, but that will be a coming option to try for my s790.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
AFAIK the s790 "reset" procedures are... 1 unplug the unit for a minute or 2, do a reset in the menu.

For your ir remote issue although, I might lean towards removing the top and seeing if the ir receiver in the unit itself has come "unglued". You mentioned damp... Damp is bad for gear.

BTW, when the remote is not functional does the unit respond to the soft buttons on the player itself? If it does, then my first assumption may be the real culprit.

Doug k
Yes, the soft buttons on the player work. Do you mean that you assume then that the real culprit is that I must do a reset?

It is really a pitty that the player can't be fully controlled from the player itself. Depending on the remote for most functions, obviously makes it very vulnerable!

I am too tired to deal with the problem right now, or to even think
of the fact that I can't play my Blu-Rays anymore.

Tonight I am going to watch one of my DVDs that luckily can be started by just pressing Stop and then Play. A fine old science fiction movie, This Island Earth, and it upscales great on this player too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3977 Old 12-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriers View Post
As far as I know, there are only four buttons on the player, On/Off, Eject, Play, and Stop. It seems impossible to reach the menu on the TV-screen without the remote.

I have salty sea nearby, and that is not so good I think! My old analog stereo receiver lost its sound because of that damp/salt, I believe. I took off the top and sprayed the parts with some universal oil lubricant for the purpose, and it helped! I don't have that oil now, but that will be a coming option to try for my s790.

Yes, the soft buttons on the player work. Do you mean that you assume then that the real culprit is that I must do a reset?

It is really a pitty that the player can't be fully controlled from the player itself. Depending on the remote for most functions, obviously makes it very vulnerable!

Tonight I am going to watch one of my DVDs that luckily can be started by just pressing Stop and then Play. A fine old science fiction movie, This Island Earth, and it upscales great on this player too!
That is a classic film!
Just for grins... Did you check your remote with your camera while you pressed the Menu button? Or was it another button like power? If so, check the menu button to be sure you have an ir signal with it. If not, try any universal remote coded to Sony bd players.

My real hunch us the ir receiver in the player has detached and can no longer see the remotes signal.

Otherwise, a new interociter may be required 😁

OH and on the remote you should use the "home" button for entry to the setup menu.

Last edited by ltd76gold; 12-12-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #3813 of 3977 Old 12-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Yep, all the right buttons on the remote give IR signals.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of buying an interocitor. There was one for sale on Ebay, but it cost about 3 billion dollars. And when I asked the guy if he could possibly cut down on the price, he told me it burned up! God what a moron!

I haven't moved, or hardly touched the player, so it's hard to imagine why anything in it should have fallen apart so suddenly. But I guess I will have to remove the top. And hope I will be able to identify which part is the IR receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 3977 Old 12-12-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
They used to be about 25 cents at Radio Shack.
post #3815 of 3977 Old 12-12-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
They used to be about 25 cents at Radio Shack.
Page ten owners manual.

Right side front to the left of the IR logo. About 7cm from right front corner and yes for less a few bucks, one can be had.... If Radio Shack is still in business 😕
Terriers likes this.
post #3816 of 3977 Old 12-12-2015, 06:13 PM

Obviously most Radio Shacks are gone. But there are plenty of places online to get components.

I'm not convinced that's the problem.
Terriers likes this.
post #3817 of 3977 Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Obviously most Radio Shacks are gone. But there are plenty of places online to get components.

I'm not convinced that's the problem.
Same here but the process of elimination must start somewhere.

The op stated that it did work for a bit, then he moved the player and it failed again. I have seen similar issues with older gear but you are right... It could just be a failed connection which may be problematic to find easily
Terriers likes this.
post #3818 of 3977 Old 12-13-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Hi Terriers, on several occasions when this happen I just use the remote app on my phone (never reset or pull the power plug). Then next time using the player everything is fine (can go through discs or apps) with no problem.
Terriers likes this.
post #3819 of 3977 Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 AM

I have not used the player for a few days. Meanwhile the weather has become warmer and dryer. Have had difficulties getting up the heat indoors. So today, with more pleasant climate indoors, I decided to try the remote and player, and my gutfeeling told me that it would work now. And it does!!!
So I believe the problems I have had with the player not responding to the remote, over last period of time, must be related to temperature/humidity.

Thank you for all support.

Anyway, does this particular player have a problem with the remote, that is documented and common? Or is it just as good as other players?

post #3820 of 3977 Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread

My remote works well.
I do have a problem with the power button LED on top of the player though. It never lights up like the eject and play buttons do. Really annoying in the dark.
Is this normal? I don't think mine ever lit up since I bought it, so I'm not sure.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #3821 of 3977 Old 12-19-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
My remote works well.
I do have a problem with the power button LED on top of the player though. It never lights up like the eject and play buttons do. Really annoying in the dark.
Is this normal? I don't think mine ever lit up since I bought it, so I'm not sure.
Nope, never lights up. You can't find it when you want it. But go to move the unit over an inch or raise it to clean under it -- and you touch it every time.
AVfile likes this.

Phil
post #3822 of 3977 Old 12-20-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
My remote works well.
I think that is normal. Mine is the same. It is difficult to find it spot on with the finger. So I just put my three middle fingers over that corner of the player.
AVfile likes this.

Last edited by Terriers; 12-21-2015 at 02:45 AM.
post #3823 of 3977 Old 12-21-2015, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Avery ¼" colour dots are my friend. Placed on that 790 blind spot I can see immediately or feel for it in the dark. I use them on the rear inputs of my equipment as well.
AVfile likes this.
post #3824 of 3977 Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trouble playing videos from front USB--choppy, freezing.

I wonder if anyone else is having this issue. I load up flash drives with various video files of varying codecs/containers. I'm aware of what won't play on the S790, so it's not the "file is corrupt or unsupported" issue. The Sony will recognize and play back all of these videos but, regardless of the codec or container (as far I can tell), if the video is HD (1080p) then at some point it is almost guaranteed to freeze up, rendering the unit inoperable until I physically unplug it.
I have 5 brands of USB flash drives, some are formatted Fat32, some are NTSF, but regardless of the brand, formatting, or whether I use the front or rear USB port, the issues occur.

Also, after a firmware update quite a long while ago, mkv files became really iffy. Once in a great while, an mkv file will play without issue (including the ability to seek forward and reverse), but 90% of the time the file will either play for just a few moments before skipping to the next file or will freeze up the unit. And with those files, if I try to fast forward that will immediately cause it to skip to the next file.

I've had the player since 2012 and the issues haven't gotten any better or worse since then (aside from the mkv problem).
If anyone has experienced these issues, have you found a solution?
I'm guessing this particular player just has problems playing files from USB which, unfortunately, was one of the features I was really looking forward to with a Blu-Ray player.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading to the least expensive Oppo player, with the hope that its file support trumps the Sony.
post #3825 of 3977 Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trouble playing videos from front USB--choppy, freezing.

I wonder if anyone else is having this issue. I load up flash drives with various video files of varying codecs/containers. I'm aware of what won't play on the S790, so it's not the "file is corrupt or unsupported" issue. The Sony will recognize and play back all of these videos but, regardless of the codec or container (as far I can tell), if the video is HD (1080p) then at some point it is almost guaranteed to freeze up, rendering the unit inoperable until I physically unplug it.
I have 5 brands of USB flash drives, some are formatted Fat32, some are NTSF, but regardless of the brand, formatting, or whether I use the front or rear USB port, the issues occur.

Also, after a firmware update quite a long while ago, mkv files became really iffy. Once in a great while, an mkv file will play without issue (including the ability to seek forward and reverse), but 90% of the time the file will either play for just a few moments before skipping to the next file or will freeze up the unit. And with those files, if I try to fast forward that will immediately cause it to skip to the next file.

I've had the player since 2012 and the issues haven't gotten any better or worse since then (aside from the mkv problem).
If anyone has experienced these issues, have you found a solution?
I'm guessing this particular player just has problems playing files from USB which, unfortunately, was one of the features I was really looking forward to with a Blu-Ray player.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading to the least expensive Oppo player, with the hope that its file support trumps the Sony.
post #3826 of 3977 Old 01-04-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Anyway, does this particular player have a problem with the remote, that is documented and common? Or is it just as good as other players?

It's a "known" problem, in that a number of people have seen it. It was worse with earlier firmware (see my early review and update on B&H), may have gone away after a few FW updates, but is definitely there now.

The problem affects IR remote control operation, apparently regardless of what you're playing. I have seen it with:

- A wide range of blu rays
- DVDs
- Online content (e.g. Netflix), though I use the payer for this much any more given superior solutions elsewhere today

The symptoms are:

- Initially, remote works fine
- After some period of time (or after certain internal/external events affect the player, actual trigger unknown), the remote stops working
- This affects all remote functions -- power, media transport, everything
- The behavior is the same for all remotes once in this state (e.g. factory original, various universal remotes)
- Otherwise the player is fine -- top buttons work, and any active playback can continue

What I have found out:

- Turning off Quick Start mode in System Settings is a good idea. This won't prevent the problem, but if it does occur, turning the player off (on top), waiting for around 15 seconds, and turning it on will see the remote work again, at least for a while. This can be useful to get you back to the right spot in a movie, for example.
- If Quick Start is on, you may have to leave the player off for some time in order for it to allow the remote to work again for any reasonable period of time.
- It doesn't appear that using the IR IN jack (aka Control S jack) on the rear helps with the problem. My specific test setup is a 3.5mm stereo cable between the 790's IR IN jack and a Sony 1060 receiver's IR OUT jack, with the 1060 definitely receiving all incoming IR.

Possibilities:

- It's firmware, not hardware (at least not directly), given how completely fine all non-remote aspects of operation are.
- Heat could be a factor, though given the above I think it may be an indirect one. In my setup, a DVDO Quick6, which gets warm, is currently on top of the player.
- I thought there was a correlation with having a USB drive inserted (and thus having memory for blu ray functions available), but I have yet to fully test this. Seems unlikely given that it affects DVD and online content also, but who knows what the firmware is doing.
- The behavior is just what you'd expect from a switched Sony Command Mode (where IR commands are prefixed to allow multiple identical units to be used in the same room), I have been unable to find anything that shows how to swap the player to another mode (unlike other Sony devices, which have a clear procedure).

I'm willing to try stuff out if anyone has ideas.
post #3827 of 3977 Old 01-04-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoLingo View Post

I'm willing to try stuff out if anyone has ideas.
I bought my player day ZERO - Pre-ordered it. I have
no idea how long ago that was.

I have never had an IR problem with it.
post #3828 of 3977 Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I don't think any of this has to do with USB. I have the same problems streaming mkv files via Universal Media Server (using customized renderer for this player).

Here's some things that help though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
The Sony will recognize and play back all of these videos but, regardless of the codec or container (as far I can tell), if the video is HD (1080p) then at some point it is almost guaranteed to freeze up, rendering the unit inoperable until I physically unplug it.
I find the longer the video, the more likely it will freeze. I think it may be a memory leak of some sort since I find if I stop (not pause) the video and start it again (it resumes from where I left off) every 30 minutes or so, it dramatically reduces the chance of the player crashing... not 100% but much more manageable.

Quote:
Once in a great while, an mkv file will play without issue (including the ability to seek forward and reverse), but 90% of the time the file will either play for just a few moments before skipping to the next file or will freeze up the unit. And with those files, if I try to fast forward that will immediately cause it to skip to the next file.
This is completely fixable by running all your mkv files through MKVToolNix.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

Set the Preferences for Merge -> Default values -> Default additional command line options:

--engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position

Then whenever you use Merge to remux the mkv file it will automatically apply the fixes that make the mkv files compatible with your player so you can always seek forward and reverse and not have it stop or skip. Even with this fix it doesn't solve your first crashing problem, so you still need to stop/start to mostly deal with that.
post #3829 of 3977 Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
it is almost guaranteed to freeze up, rendering the unit inoperable until I physically unplug it.
Also, you shouldn't need to unplug. You can place your finger on the power button and hold for about 10 seconds and it should shutdown. Wait until all lights are off and then you can power back up normally.
post #3830 of 3977 Old 01-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Hey all. I did a quick search and had no luck.

I just got a new Processor (Anthem AVM60) and for some reason the Sony wont pass audio to it via hdmi. Anyone have an issue like this at all??
Help!
post #3831 of 3977 Old 01-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

I just got a new Processor (Anthem AVM60) and for some reason the Sony wont pass audio to it via hdmi. Anyone have an issue like this at all??
Help!
post #3832 of 3977 Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Help!
Hmmm make sure DSD audio out is Off? Perhaps the AVR doesn't accept DSD.
post #3833 of 3977 Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 PM

Section 3.5 of the Anthem manual...

You have to assign in the setup the hdmi audio parameters and some of them you need to even add as only the first three are available from what I read.

Cool processor! Have fun!
post #3834 of 3977 Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Hmmm make sure DSD audio out is Off? Perhaps the AVR doesn't accept DSD.
Tried,not it ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Section 3.5 of the Anthem manual...

You have to assign in the setup the hdmi audio parameters and some of them you need to even add as only the first three are available from what I read.

Cool processor! Have fun!
Ill have fun once I get audio on my BD!!!!!

All assigned correctly...
post #3835 of 3977 Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 PM

Are other sources like cable/sat etc. Aok?
post #3836 of 3977 Old 01-15-2016, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Tried,not it ;(

Ill have fun once I get audio on my BD!!!!!

All assigned correctly...
Do you have Audio and video being passed over HDMI out 1 or are you splitting it so the Video goes over HDMI out 1 and audio over HDMI out 2?
post #3837 of 3977 Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

post #3838 of 3977 Old 01-17-2016, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Help!
Hi Lee Weber, is the BD player set to Bitstream? If so, try switching to PCM to let the 790 do the decoding to see if audio work.
post #3839 of 3977 Old 01-18-2016, 06:20 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Lee Weber, is the BD player set to Bitstream? If so, try switching to PCM to let the 790 do the decoding to see if audio work.
Tried both. So pissed at this point.
post #3840 of 3977 Old 01-18-2016, 06:28 AM

First thing I would to is turn off BD Mix and Deep Color on the player and keep bitstream on Auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page