Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #3961 of 3969 Old 05-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhash View Post
It is a bit finicky, I have had trouble in the past with Amazon app freezing up. More concern to me lately has been the unit locking up while playing blu ray disks after a while. It also must be unplugged to unlock it. It has some age on it but it has not been used that much. Hope it lasts a while longer until the 4K players are cheaper.
I can't remember the last time mine had trouble with a disc, but I play mostly DVDs.

Talking about the Amazon app, I've never had any trouble with launching and basic usage, but very recently the behavior of the "More Like This on Prime" and "More Like This" buttons has changed. For the worse:

It used to work like this: If you were in a subgenre movie and you hit "More Like This on Prime", you'd get a list of other movies in the same subgenre. E.G. if you were in Friday the 13th, you'd get a list of other slasher movies, mostly '80s, and mostly American-made. Same for conspiracy movies, same for Eurocrime movies, and just about any category you could think of. Very useful those on a subgenre kick.

It now works like this: When you hit "More Like This on Prime", you get a list of 32 Amazon Prime orginals, leading off with The Man in the High Castle and ending with Goliath.

Has Amazon's "More Like This on Prime" gotten borked for anybody else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 3969 Old 07-27-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool M13.R.0497 for sony bdp-s790 us/canada player

Could someone please provide a link for M13.R497 for the us/anada Sony BDP-S790 player

Regards Mark
post #3963 of 3969 Old 07-27-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktherob2019 View Post
Could someone please provide a link for M13.R497 for the us/anada Sony BDP-S790 player

Regards Mark
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0010159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3964 of 3969 Old 08-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
my Sony bdp s380 and s-480 both play SACD-R copies but my S790 doesn't has anyone here got one to do this?

Mar
post #3965 of 3969 Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktherob2017 View Post
my Sony bdp s380 and s-480 both play SACD-R copies but my S790 doesn't has anyone here got one to do this?

Mar

On page 5 of the S790 operating manual:
"This product uses Cinavia ..."

Saw no mention of Cinavia in the S480's. Think that's your explanation.
post #3966 of 3969 Old 08-12-2019, 03:59 AM

The end is nigh

I've gotten this message on launch of the Amazon App a few times now, starting about - guessing - a week or two ago.

Quote:
This service will no longer be available on this device starting 9-26-19
Some quick digging suggests a major service upgrade is going to effect the the Old and the Non-Android.
post #3967 of 3969 Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B.M. View Post
The end is nigh

I've gotten this message on launch of the Amazon App a few times now, starting about - guessing - a week or two ago.

Some quick digging suggests a major service upgrade is going to effect the the Old and the Non-Android.
Amazon is no longer supporting its apps on Sony and some Panasonic devices. Guess they want everyone to buy Firesticks. That said, Amazon is offering $25 credit toward purchase of Firestick. Amazon forums are aware of this but Amazon isn't making it easy to collect. I had to be on chat with Amazon about 30 minutes and literally 5 different reps before I got a supervisor that knew what I was talking about. They emailed me a link with a code that I used for the credit. I got the newest Firestick available for $40 minus $25. $15 not a bad deal. Hope this helps! Troy
AVfile likes this.
post #3968 of 3969 Old 08-13-2019, 09:45 PM

Yeah, here's a piece with the Sony situation, from https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1564653600,

Quote:
Non-Android Sony TVs

Before Google’s Android, Sony TVs were running a linux-based platform that offered access to a handful of apps. As the company switched its attention to Android, this platform started losing apps and features. The YouTube app has already been removed and as of September 26, 2019, the Amazon Prime Video app will stop working. Amazon explains that it is "upgrading its service" but neglects to comment on the technical details.
2013 was the year Sony started transitioning from the Opera platform to the Android platform. And unfortunately, the S790 -- even the 2nd year 2013 version I have -- is an Opera device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhash View Post
Guess they want everyone to buy Firesticks. That said, Amazon is offering $25 credit toward purchase of Firestick.
I was hoping to limp into 2020 and be able to check out the CES new player announcements in January, or, see how the Playstation 5 turns out later.

But a stop-gap for Amazon streaming is needed, and the Firestick won't cut it. I need an ethernet connection and an optical audio out. I'd love to just get the topline Roku, but no optical there

Amazon streaming stop-gap suggestions welcome, but in the meantime I'm saving for when the Panasonic or one of the Sony optical-equipped blu-ray players goes in for a deal.
post #3969 of 3969 Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
I just sold 2 Fire TV boxes on eBay that had optical and Ethernet. Search for "2nd generation". Or you can get a more recent model BD play whose apps still work for around $40. Just be aware that Sony players favor coax rather than optical. So be prepared to get a coax to optical converter as well, about $12.

I am curious why hardwired ethernet is required in your case. I've had many, many streaming devices over the years and wifi has always been more than adequate. If you have no wifi, a cheap repeater is a good investment. I paid $10 for my last Moca adapter with built in wifi. Several of those give me strong wifi in every room of all 3 stories of my house.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page