Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

post #4501 of 4531 Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
220 owner here, within the last 6 months I have noticed that the player doesn't always read the blue ray discs I burn on the 1st (or 2nd) try. I'll get a ka-thunk noise (slight grinding) and then 30 seconds later I get an error that the disc s unreadable. The unit instantly recognizes movie Blu-ray and DVD and cd discs instantly in boot up.

Now this very same disc will boots up perfectly in my Oppo 103D as well as my PS3. EVERY TIME, no errors. And the disc itself is perfectly clean with no scratches

I have cleaned the player with a cleaning disc and the symptom remains. (I have heard varying thoughts on the effectiveness of this anyways)
Eventually, the disc will be read by the player ...but its annoying.

I record and burn onto Blu-ray various sporting events, this has happened with multiple discs from multiple manufacturers /different spindles within the same manufacturer

Is it possible the discs I use for burning are "slipping" in the player's spinner? (this happened on my Panny DVD recorder in the past) - some discs are 'tackier' than others......

Hopefully I have "pre-trouble shooted" everything I could ahead of time to eliminate the obvious.

Is my unit on its last legs?
any hints or thoughts?

Last edited by billmich; 10-24-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4531 Old 10-18-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
What speed, compression are you burning the discs? When I've burned DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs in my Thinkpad, I found that ones burned at 8x or even 4x are harder to read than those I burn at 2.x speed ... so for discs I want to last and play reliably, I just start burning and exercise patience.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #4503 of 4531 Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

4x speed
4x discs

And they play perfectly on every other player

And they USED to play perfectly on here

Disc burning speed is not the issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4504 of 4531 Old 10-22-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
4x speed
4x discs

And they play perfectly on every other player

And they USED to play perfectly on here

Disc burning speed is not the issue
I appreciate your confidence, but I've experienced discs burned at 4x that my player had trouble with, then a disc (same content, same compression) burned at 2x started up and played without issue. Can also depend upon the burner, quality of disc. Mine were burned in one of three IBM Thinkpad MultiBurner drives.

Try it yourself, see if it helps. Best of luck.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #4505 of 4531 Old 10-23-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I appreciate your confidence, but I've experienced discs burned at 4x that my player had trouble with, then a disc (same content, same compression) burned at 2x started up and played without issue. Can also depend upon the burner, quality of disc. Mine were burned in one of three IBM Thinkpad MultiBurner drives.

Try it yourself, see if it helps. Best of luck.

tried it last night (2 x burning)...same issues present themselves, so I will rule out your suggestion as the cause

maybe this panny unit isnt as robust as others , or is starting to falter ever so slightly
ChromeJob likes this.
post #4506 of 4531 Old 10-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
tried it last night (2 x burning)...same issues present themselves, so I will rule out your suggestion as the cause

maybe this panny unit isnt as robust as others , or is starting to falter ever so slightly
You could also try a different brand of writeable media. Optical drives vary in their ability to support all the different styles of writeable disc media.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #4507 of 4531 Old 10-24-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You could also try a different brand of writeable media. Optical drives vary in their ability to support all the different styles of writeable disc media.
--Bob
and as I stated in my original post, this cuts across all media as I tried 3-4 different types (and I'm not going to be dropping $$$$ on multi-pack sets beyond what I have already tried) , unless you have a specific blank BD disc manufacturer that you recommend above all others.

In addition, this the type of media I prefer to use....it USED to work perfectly in my Panny player, and still does on every other player. (So we can eliminate THIS from the equation...as I tried to do in my original post)

Other ideas/speculation would be greatly appreciated
post #4508 of 4531 Old 10-24-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
In my experience, problems like this are related to wear on the hub and drive belts or dirty lens. I'd give all of the above a good cleaning with alcohol and possibly replace the belts if they're worn too much (I don't remember how many belts Panasonic has, if any).
billmich likes this.
post #4509 of 4531 Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
About 1 out of every 4 Netflix Bluray discs won't read in my 500. It's always seemed very sensitive, more skipping versus my newer cheaper players in other rooms but it seems even worse now, not reading many discs at all that other players have no problem with. Any ideas?
post #4510 of 4531 Old 11-16-2018, 06:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ First, Netflix rental discs are subject to a lot of abuse. Check the playing surface of the disc for scratches and gunk. It's not unusual to find a complete set of fingerprints and even a partial palm print. If you need to Clean The Disc, see my Blog post here:

Quick Tip: Suffering Individual Disc Playback Freezes? Clean The Disc!

If the problem is actually in the player, the most likely reason is that the laser lens assembly which reads the disc has picked up some lint, or even an oily film from, say, cooking smoke. The best way to fix this involves opening up the player and optical drive so you can clean the lens with a Q-tip moistened with rubbing alcohol. But if the problem is just lint, it can often be addressed by squirting some clean compressed air into the open tray. Cans of such stuff are sold in camera stores for cleaning camera lenses.

If that doesn't fix it, the player likely needs service.
--Bob
ChromeJob likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #4511 of 4531 Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmafia View Post
About 1 out of every 4 Netflix Bluray discs won't read in my 500. It's always seemed very sensitive, more skipping versus my newer cheaper players in other rooms but it seems even worse now, not reading many discs at all that other players have no problem with. Any ideas?
Yup, I had the same problem. I got an LG player that was a lot less sensitive. I gave up on netflix discs when they went to regional distribution. My discs per month dropped from about 12 when they shipped locally to 8.
post #4512 of 4531 Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Yup, I had the same problem. I got an LG player that was a lot less sensitive. I gave up on netflix discs when they went to regional distribution. My discs per month dropped from about 12 when they shipped locally to 8.
This is the most sensitive player I've ever had. Even the slightest or smallest fingerprint or minor cosmetic surface scratch trips it up. I also hate the touch pad remote but have put up with it all for years. . I guess it's time to try a new player. I have kept my Netflix disc subscription because it seems like 90% of the movies I want are not available streaming.
post #4513 of 4531 Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ First, Netflix rental discs are subject to a lot of abuse. Check the playing surface of the disc for scratches and gunk. It's not unusual to find a complete set of fingerprints and even a partial palm print. If you need to Clean The Disc, see my Blog post here:

If the problem is actually in the player, the most likely reason is that the laser lens assembly which reads the disc has picked up some lint, or even an oily film from, say, cooking smoke. The best way to fix this involves opening up the player and optical drive so you can clean the lens with a Q-tip moistened with rubbing alcohol. But if the problem is just lint, it can often be addressed by squirting some clean compressed air into the open tray. Cans of such stuff are sold in camera stores for cleaning camera lenses.

If that doesn't fix it, the player likely needs service.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. This is the most sensitive player I've ever had. Even the slightest or smallest fingerprint or minor cosmetic surface scratch trips it up, so I am used to checking and cleaning the discs. Most of the netflix discs I get are new bluray releases and fortunately they are usually in great shape. Will try the inside cleaning.
post #4514 of 4531 Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 315
The Bluray Blues with Panasonic BDT500

Yes, I'm a user of the older Panasonic BDT500, and I confess that most bluray disks have looked no better than standard DVD on this device, and in most instances decidedly worse. They seem oversaturated and not at all pleasant to look at. What might cause this in settings? Thanks!
post #4515 of 4531 Old 01-18-2019, 07:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Yes, I'm a user of the older Panasonic BDT500, and I confess that most bluray disks have looked no better than standard DVD on this device, and in most instances decidedly worse. They seem oversaturated and not at all pleasant to look at. What might cause this in settings? Thanks!
The most likely reason is that the settings in your TV are incorrect. Modern TVs remember settings "per input", so you need to check the settings for the input you feeding from the player -- i.e., while playing content from the player. In addition, modern TVs often switch to using different settings for different styles of video input format. So you need to check the settings in the TV while playing a Blu-ray disc and sending 1080p video to the TV.

It is VERY common for TVs to ship with factory default settings which are not correct for best quality viewing. Rather, they are chosen to make the TV stand out in a wall of TVs in a store under garish store lighting conditions. These are the so-called Torch Mode settings, and you really do need to correct them. For example, your TV's default "picture mode" for that input may be something like "Vivid", "Dynamic", or "Scorch Your Eyeballs".

For more info on this, see my Blog post here:

Extinghishing Torch Mode Settings

--Bob
ChromeJob likes this.

post #4516 of 4531 Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure you're right, Bob, and appreciate your informed advice.

My second "confession", which will outrage those who live on the audio/video cutting edge, is that I'm outputting the Bluray feed into a retro Mitsubishi 65813, an HD CRT RPTV, which has a surprisingly good picture with deep blacks. (My next TV will be an emissive QLED or a Micro LED).

Given that, my TV is 1080i, and last night I noticed that the Panasonic HDMI output was set up for 1080P, which surprise me as I thought I had change that, so I changed it to the correct setting. Would you happen to know how to adjust the settings on the Mitsubishi DVI input, which is called Monlink?

From the hinterlands of the Audio-Video world, thanks!
post #4517 of 4531 Old 01-18-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Download and burn a copy of the AVS HD 709 calibration disc. There are some guides for setting a TV properly online, but learning how to use this disc and running as many tests as you can will dial it in perfectly. THEN judge your player.

post #4518 of 4531 Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I'm sure you're right, Bob, and appreciate your informed advice.

My second "confession", which will outrage those who live on the audio/video cutting edge, is that I'm outputting the Bluray feed into a retro Mitsubishi 65813, an HD CRT RPTV, which has a surprisingly good picture with deep blacks. (My next TV will be an emissive QLED or a Micro LED).

Given that, my TV is 1080i, and last night I noticed that the Panasonic HDMI output was set up for 1080P, which surprise me as I thought I had change that, so I changed it to the correct setting. Would you happen to know how to adjust the settings on the Mitsubishi DVI input, which is called Monlink?

From the hinterlands of the Audio-Video world, thanks!
Typically a DVI Input will require RGB video format from the Source device (rather than YCbCr in any flavor), and probably also will not support 480i input from SD content.

The main gotcha with RGB format is that there are two flavors, and the choice between them is NOT made as part of the handshake when you establish the video connection. That is, this is a Manual choice, and it must be set to match in both the Source and the TV or you won't get the right picture.

This has to do with the data range for RGB and a mismatch will usually first be noticed in the near black details -- either a loss of near black details or near blacks appearing brighter gray than you'd expect. If you've had to make a significant adjustment in the Brightness setting in your TV, then that's also a sign of a mismatch.

Technically the setting you want for home theater use for RGB encodes "black" as the value 16 and "reference white" as the value 235. This rejoices in several names, including Studio RGB and RGB Video Level.

The choice you DON'T want encodes "black" as the value 0 and "reference white" as the value 254. This rejoices in names like Extended RGB or Enhanced RGB, which is a major source of confusion because, again, this is the choice you DON'T want.

As you can imagine, if the Source is sending black as 0 but the TV is expecting it to be 16 (or vice versa), things get screwed up.

Look for a setting in both the Source and the TV that has to do with "black levels" and which offers only TWO choices. Unfortunately there is no common name for the setting or even for the choices, so you may just have to experiment to find the right one. If you do NOT find such a setting, then odds are the Source or TV is set to only allow Studio RGB (the correct choice).

However, since your main complaint is color saturation, odds are the problem in your TV is its default setting for Picture Mode and/or Color saturation. Again, see my Blog post on Extinguishing Torch Mode settings.
--Bob

post #4519 of 4531 Old 01-26-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It turned out that the HDMI output within settings was set, as I mentioned before, to 1080P rather than to 1080I, where it needed to be for my TV. Luckily this was resolved before I watched The Bluray restored version of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World. The Criterion Bluray version is absolutely stunning, much better than the remastered standard DVD. It looks like you're watching it on the movie screen when it was released. Amazing.

From memory I think the setting in the Panasonic is YCbCr, though I could be wrong. I will check later. Should I change it to RGB? that At any rate, the picture is amazing, even on my retro T.V
post #4520 of 4531 Old 03-04-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My Panasonic BDT220 can play DVD-Audio, but how?

In my new venture into multichannel material (SACD and DVD-Audio) I am finding that DVD-Audio source (such as Tommy DVD Audio and Miles Davis Kind of Blue DVD Audio) can be played on my Blu-ray player. However, when I review the manual it says the following:

Discs that cannot be played in
this unit

Any other disc that is not specifically
supported or previously described.
≥ DVD-RAM
≥ Super Audio CD
≥ Photo CD
≥ DVD-Audio <--------------------------------------------------
≥ Video CD and Super Video CD
≥WMA discs
≥ All types of DivX discs
≥ PAL discs
≥ HD DVD
≥ BD-Video discs recorded at a rate of 50 fields/sec

So please tell me how is it that I am able to play these discs? Is it possible that at Print of this manual, the Firmware didnt allow it, but now does?

Here is a link to Tommy that I can play Tommy
post #4521 of 4531 Old 03-05-2019, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Most DVD-A discs have a regular DVD version on other side of the disc. That version uses regular DD or DTS 5.1 audio instead of DVD-Audio.
post #4522 of 4531 Old 03-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent0071 View Post
I can't find anything in search. All of a sudden I have a PIP type box showing on every blu ray I play. It is a grey translucent box that says, " This control panel can be displayed via OPTION". I can't get rid of it and its driving me nuts. The option button does nothing on the remote. Exit and PIP button do nothing as well. It is persistent even if I shut off or reset the player. Regular TV is fine on my GT50. It is only while playing blu rays on my 220. Help!

I know this is an very old discussion. However I will post my findings about this issue as it might help others losing time:

VIERA link options are enabled in my case (Panasonic TX-40 EXW & Panasonic UB404). When you are in a movie's DVD menu and you start playback with your (Panasonic) TV remote control by hitting the 'OK' button the mentioned panel/field is shown during the whole movie. Whereas when you start playback with your (Panasonic) UHD player's remote control the panel/field doesn't show.

I haven't tested so far if the panel/field also shows up when you start your movie by hitting the PLAY button on TV's remote control (many Panasonic TV remote controls have the most needed playback-buttons at the bottom).

When you started your movie by hitting 'OK' button of your TV's remote control, you can sometimes hide the annoying field/panel by hitting 'Exit' or 'Return' on the same remote control.

In my eyes this is an annoying bug or useless option (who needs it??). I have reported it to Panasonic. However they don't seem to be interested in resolving this issue or they don't regard it as an issue. This is sad. There would be many possible solutions:

- remove this useless option
- add an option so that you can disable this "feature"
- keep this "feature" but adding a timer so that the field/panel automatically hides after e.g. 5 seconds

Just my 2 cents
post #4523 of 4531 Old 03-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are all of these panasonic players really sensitive when it comes to reading discs, or just the bdt-220? Would it still be worth picking up a bdt-320 for less than $50 for 1080p bd ?
post #4524 of 4531 Old 03-31-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread

I have a 500, no sensitivity problems.
These are really good players. Probably the last generation before build quality started dropping.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #4525 of 4531 Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 78
BDT 220 for music

I´m retiring my faithful 220 from home theater duties, due to new 4K player. However, I´m putting up a new music setup and don´t have a CD player. Could the 220 be suitable for this task? I have a very good Peachtree Pre and Amp separates and KEF LS50 speakers.

Anyone has experienced with 2 channel music with this player? I don´t wanna spend on a fancy CD player since I mostly listen to vinyl and His Res files, but will do if the 220 is lacking. Any feedback is deeply appreciated.
post #4526 of 4531 Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
I´m retiring my faithful 220 from home theater duties, due to new 4K player. However, I´m putting up a new music setup and don´t have a CD player. Could the 220 be suitable for this task? I have a very good Peachtree Pre and Amp separates and KEF LS50 speakers.

Anyone has experienced with 2 channel music with this player? I don´t wanna spend on a fancy CD player since I mostly listen to vinyl and His Res files, but will do if the 220 is lacking. Any feedback is deeply appreciated.
I play CDs on my model all the time. I believe it autostarts music CD without requiring a display. (I actually still have my Yamaha DVD player hooked up for a couple of handy features, incl. zoom in, but mostly to play a CD without losing my spot on the BDT player while it's sleeping.)

post #4527 of 4531 Old 04-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I play CDs on my model all the time. I believe it autostarts music CD without requiring a display. (I actually still have my Yamaha DVD player hooked up for a couple of handy features, incl. zoom in, but mostly to play a CD without losing my spot on the BDT player while it's sleeping.)
Your model is also the BDT 220?
post #4528 of 4531 Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Your model is also the BDT 220?
BDT215 as per my signature.

post #4529 of 4531 Old 08-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Surprise!

I just received an online firmware update for my DMP-BDT320. It updated from 1.63 to 1.67. This was unexpected since the unit is quite old and the most recent update was way back in 2013. I still use this as my main Blu-ray player and it has always worked excellently on all discs.

I only found one online reference to this update (link below). It says it happened on July 31st and that it is for playability of Blu-ray discs. I'm in the USA and have a USA unit and it did update. I never had any playability problems with over 900 discs, though some in this thread have mentioned having some issues. This update is for DMP-BDT120/220/221/320/500.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com...t220_euro.html
rjhseven, AVfile and ChromeJob like this.
post #4530 of 4531 Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Velva View Post
Surprise!

I just received an online firmware update for my DMP-BDT320. It updated from 1.63 to 1.67. This was unexpected since the unit is quite old and the most recent update was way back in 2013. I still use this as my main Blu-ray player and it has always worked excellently on all discs.

I only found one online reference to this update (link below). It says it happened on July 31st and that it is for playability of Blu-ray discs. I'm in the USA and have a USA unit and it did update. I never had any playability problems with over 900 discs, though some in this thread have mentioned having some issues. This update is for DMP-BDT120/220/221/320/500.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com...t220_euro.html
Good to know - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray dvd player , Panasonic , panasonic 220 , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , purple , receiver , tint , touchpad remote control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page