Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 806 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10200Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24151 of 25715 Old 12-13-2016, 03:57 PM
Member
 
hdcrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Oppo Freezes

This has happened rarely b4. Maybe 1x/year since I got my Oppo BDP-103 (5-2013)
I tried to play BD but, Oppo says no disc despite a BD loaded in tray. Could not open disc tray despite manually pressing power off on Unit or pressing eject! I did still see home page on screen & go through settings. Finally, I held power button long time (15-20 seconds?) & then eject button & success! Ejected disc!

Tried Oppo again & it works.Hours later I try to play the BD. TV screen froze on Oppo Logo & LCD on unit froze on Hello!
I shut down via hold power button & got it working again. Watched BD, no issues. Left BD in tray to watch special features another day.

2 days later, I tried to resume playing special features & again Oppo froze! TV screen froze on Oppo Logo & LCD froze on Hello! Again held power button long time till shut Oppo off & then press power button & turned Oppo on & it worked again. This happened a few more times. At least every other time I tried. Had to press & hold power & then start again & eject & then close tray & OK again.

I called Oppo & was told to try disconnecting USB network cable from back.
(I have that cable running to higher shelf & holding WiFi Dongle)
See if that fixes the problem, if not, try factory reset.

So, far I have tested daily for 5-6 days & Oppo is working fine.

I’m thinking of plugging back in the USB to reestablish WiFi Network connection.

If I plug into WiFi again & it remains fixed, what was the issue? If it happens again?
Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!
hdcrack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24152 of 25715 Old 12-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
bigdogaxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
When my 103 does that, I simply disconnect power, push On/Off button, then reconnect power. It take me about 20-30 seconds to access the rear of my AV closet, then walk around to the front. It doesn't happen as often because I changed the ready state from quick start


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
bigdogaxis is offline  
post #24153 of 25715 Old 12-13-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
My 103 occasionally stops responding to anything (either on the remote or the iPhone app) except the front-panel power button. It only occurs when I'm streaming files from the PC over WiFi. It seems to happen when I'm cycling through a number of songs and listening to each file only for a brief period.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24154 of 25715 Old 12-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Member
 
hdcrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
When my 103 does that, I simply disconnect power, push On/Off button, then reconnect power. It take me about 20-30 seconds to access the rear of my AV closet, then walk around to the front. It doesn't happen as often because I changed the ready state from quick start
How often does your 103 freeze up?

Mine is set to rapid start.
hdcrack is offline  
post #24155 of 25715 Old 12-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
bigdogaxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Hard to say as I do not use it daily, more like 2-3 times a week


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
bigdogaxis is offline  
post #24156 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
One thing I don't like about the Oppo remote control is that it feels nearly identical when it is held pointing the wrong direction (pointing toward yourself rather than the disc player). More than a few times I've grabbed the unit in the dark and hit the "light" button only to have the unit shut-off because I actually hit the power button. Nothing puts a greater damper on watching film than having playback abruptly stop and then take literally minutes to get back to the spot you were at. Anyone else ever do that?

The remote should be designed in such a way that the orientation is easy to differentiate solely by touch. And the power and light buttons probably should not be placed in such a way that it is easy to mistake them.
meli is offline  
post #24157 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
One thing I don't like about the Oppo remote control is that it feels nearly identical when it is held pointing the wrong direction (pointing toward yourself rather than the disc player). More than a few times I've grabbed the unit in the dark and hit the "light" button only to have the unit shut-off because I actually hit the power button. Nothing puts a greater damper on watching film than having playback abruptly stop and then take literally minutes to get back to the spot you were at. Anyone else ever do that?

The remote should be designed in such a way that the orientation is easy to differentiate solely by touch. And the power and light buttons probably should not be placed in such a way that it is easy to mistake them.
If you hold it upside down, the letters are upside down.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Mongo171 is offline  
post #24158 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
If you hold it upside down, the letters are upside down.
Oh. Let me hit the light button so I can see if the letters are upside down. Crap. I just hit the power button.
gsr, pbarach and Mongo171 like this.
meli is offline  
post #24159 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,187
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5769 Post(s)
Liked: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Oh. Let me hit the light button so I can see if the letters are upside down. Crap. I just hit the power button.
There is a notch across the back of the remote intended as a positioning guide. If you hold the remote with that notch resting on your forefinger, your thumb is automatically positioned near the Enter button.

Now, if you do that, it is obvious which way is Front on the remote, because the batteries are in the Back of the remote, and so that end will be weighted into your palm. If you are holding it the wrong way round -- batteries away from your wrist -- the weight of the batteries will cause it to tip out of your hand. Probably landing on the cat.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #24160 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
There is a notch across the back of the remote intended as a positioning guide. If you hold the remote with that notch resting on your forefinger, your thumb is automatically positioned near the Enter button.

Now, if you do that, it is obvious which way is Front on the remote, because the batteries are in the Back of the remote, and so that end will be weighted into your palm. If you are holding it the wrong way round -- batteries away from your wrist -- the weight of the batteries will cause it to tip out of your hand. Probably landing on the cat.
--Bob
When you hold the unit facing the wrong direction, with the notch resting on your forefinger, your thumb is positioned near the Enter button. It's the same if you're holding it the wrong or correct direction. So that leaves solely the weight of the batteries to differentiate. I think that's too subtle. After the second cocktail it's pretty much useless.
meli is offline  
post #24161 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,482
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
One thing I don't like about the Oppo remote control is that it feels nearly identical when it is held pointing the wrong direction (pointing toward yourself rather than the disc player). More than a few times I've grabbed the unit in the dark and hit the "light" button only to have the unit shut-off because I actually hit the power button. Nothing puts a greater damper on watching film than having playback abruptly stop and then take literally minutes to get back to the spot you were at. Anyone else ever do that?

The remote should be designed in such a way that the orientation is easy to differentiate solely by touch. And the power and light buttons probably should not be placed in such a way that it is easy to mistake them.
That happens to me all of the time!!! Drives me crazy! The last time it happened I almost threw it against the wall.
meli likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #24162 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I think the light button should be a different size and shape from the power button. Maybe a rectangular bar (like the Netflix button) at the bottom of the remote and centered.

What would be even cooler, if the light button was grooved and spelled out the word "OPPO". Put it at the bottom of the remote in place of the printed name.

Last edited by meli; 12-16-2016 at 07:28 PM.
meli is offline  
post #24163 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,187
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5769 Post(s)
Liked: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
When you hold the unit facing the wrong direction, with the notch resting on your forefinger, your thumb is positioned near the Enter button. It's the same if you're holding it the wrong or correct direction. So that leaves solely the weight of the batteries to differentiate. I think that's too subtle. After the second cocktail it's pretty much useless.
Nah! About the third time you have to pick it up off the floor, you'll realize it was the wrong way around to begin with.

Anyway, if you hold it the wrong way around, but with that notch in place on your forefinger, your thumb is NOT at the Enter button. It's between Up Arrow and the front of the remote.

By the way, there's another, differently shaped notch at the top of the battery compartment. That too is a guide. Put that on your forefinger and your thumb is positioned at the Play button.

These two notches are different in feel, and can also be used to confirm, by touch, that you are holding the remote the right way around. For example, if you are holding the remote the wrong way around, but have the long notch on your forefinger, there IS NO 2nd notch towards your palm. It is in the other direction -- towards the battery compartment. I.e., the end you are about to drop on your toe.

---------------------------------

Or get a new OPPO UDP-203. It has a motion sensitive remote -- no need to press a button to get it to light up.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #24164 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,482
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Nah! About the third time you have to pick it up off the floor, you'll realize it was the wrong way around to begin with.

Anyway, if you hold it the wrong way around, but with that notch in place on your forefinger, your thumb is NOT at the Enter button. It's between Up Arrow and the front of the remote.

By the way, there's another, differently shaped notch at the top of the battery compartment. That too is a guide. Put that on your forefinger and your thumb is positioned at the Play button.

These two notches are different in feel, and can also be used to confirm, by touch, that you are holding the remote the right way around. For example, if you are holding the remote the wrong way around, but have the long notch on your forefinger, there IS NO 2nd notch towards your palm. It is in the other direction -- towards the battery compartment. I.e., the end you are about to drop on your toe.

---------------------------------

Or get a new OPPO UDP-203. It has a motion sensitive remote -- no need to press a button to get it to light up.

--Bob
Hopefully it isn't as sensitive as the denon 4520 remote. It lights up when the bass hits during a movie, or when someone walks by.
raynist is offline  
post #24165 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
....if you hold it the wrong way around, but with that notch in place on your forefinger, your thumb is NOT at the Enter button. It's between Up Arrow and the front of the remote.
Maybe because I have big hands. But I have the remote right here, when I'm holding it correctly my thumb indeed goes right to the Enter button. If I hold it the wrong direction, my thumb goes between the Enter button and the up arrow. I don't think that's a distinct enough difference. The biggest difference is that when I'm holding it incorrectly the corner of the remote hits the palm of my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
By the way, there's another, differently shaped notch at the top of the battery compartment. That too is a guide. Put that on your forefinger and your thumb is positioned at the Play button
True. But again, I think it's not enough. It requires too much thought. If I was designing an airplane, I wouldn't make the button to lower the wheels the same size and shape as the button that turns off the engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Or get a new OPPO UDP-203. It has a motion sensitive remote -- no need to press a button to get it to light up.
--Bob
I like that solution!
meli is offline  
post #24166 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 92
when streaming a movie from a hard drive, selected from the home > network menu, pressing pause returns me to the home menu instead of pausing the movie - is this normal behavior for the oppo? i would like the movie to simply pause, with the image still displayed...
aeneas01 is online now  
post #24167 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 07:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,323
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
when streaming a movie from a hard drive, selected from the home > network menu, pressing pause returns me to the home menu instead of pausing the movie - is this normal behavior for the oppo? i would like the movie to simply pause, with the image still displayed...
No, that's not normal.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #24168 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No, that's not normal.

-Bill
hmm.... selecting the stop button should return user to the home menu tho, right? at least that's what happens with my remote, both stop and pause do the same thing, but rev/prev/next, etc. work as expected...
aeneas01 is online now  
post #24169 of 25715 Old 12-16-2016, 07:52 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,187
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5769 Post(s)
Liked: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
hmm.... selecting the stop button should return user to the home menu tho, right? at least that's what happens with my remote, both stop and pause do the same thing, but rev/prev/next, etc. work as expected...
Pause should pause the movie. Stop should return you to the list in the Network menu media file browser where you selected to play the file in the first place.

I'm assuming you are using the normal OPPO remote. If not, try that one instead of whatever programmable remote you are using.

If it fails this way with the normal OPPO remote, first thing you should try is putting fresh batteries in your remote. Check to be sure you have both of them put in the right way around. If it still fails, call or email OPPO Tech Support for further diagnostic help.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #24170 of 25715 Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,596
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4291 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
One thing I don't like about the Oppo remote control is that it feels nearly identical when it is held pointing the wrong direction (pointing toward yourself rather than the disc player). More than a few times I've grabbed the unit in the dark and hit the "light" button only to have the unit shut-off because I actually hit the power button. Nothing puts a greater damper on watching film than having playback abruptly stop and then take literally minutes to get back to the spot you were at. Anyone else ever do that?

The remote should be designed in such a way that the orientation is easy to differentiate solely by touch. And the power and light buttons probably should not be placed in such a way that it is easy to mistake them.
My suggestion, it's called Harmony.

lujan
507 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #24171 of 25715 Old 12-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
My suggestion, it's called Harmony.
I agree with you. I suggest Oppo look at the Harmony and tweak their remote control.

Oppo does a good job constantly looking for ways to improve their software. There's no reason they shouldn't also look for ways too improve their user interface. During the next redesign, it would be relatively simple to differentiate the light button from the power button.

If I was designing an airplane, I wouldn't make the button to lower the wheels the same size and shape as the button that turns off the engines. (I like that one. I couldn't resist reusing it.)

Last edited by meli; 12-17-2016 at 09:31 AM.
meli is offline  
post #24172 of 25715 Old 12-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,187
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5769 Post(s)
Liked: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I agree with you. I suggest Oppo look at the Harmony and tweak their remote control.

Oppo does a good job constantly looking for ways to improve their software. There's no reason they shouldn't also look for ways too improve their user interface. During the next redesign, it would be relatively simple to differentiate the light button from the power button.

If I was designing an airplane, I wouldn't make the button to lower the wheels the same size and shape as the button that turns off the engines.
You probably shouldn't be watching Blu-ray movies while flying that plane. They'll distract your from which button to press to lower the wheels or turn off the engine.

As mentioned, the Next Design bypasses the whole problem -- the remote for the 203 is motion sensitive: No need to press a button to get it to light up.
--Bob
meli likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #24173 of 25715 Old 12-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
As mentioned, the Next Design bypasses the whole problem -- the remote for the 203 is motion sensitive: No need to press a button to get it to light up.
--Bob
I wonder if that redesign will trickle down to the other models, or remain exclusive to the flagship model?

Last edited by meli; 12-17-2016 at 09:30 AM.
meli is offline  
post #24174 of 25715 Old 12-17-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3752 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I wonder if that redesign will trickle down to the other models, or remain exclusive to the flagship model?
The remotes are all interchangeable, save for a few specific buttons. So when they make the 203 remote available to purchase you can get one and use it with any Oppo.
meli likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #24175 of 25715 Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,126
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
^ It's interesting to see how different remotes are designed for different gear. Most of them leave something to be desired.
with some obviously being worse than others. One of the worst I have used is for the Roku players. The remote is just horrible
to try and use in the dark. I have used the Oppo remotes for years, and like them a lot. Of all the thousands of times I have picked
it up and used it, I don't recall ever pressing the wring button from holding it upside down. I think I have picked it up upside down,
but then realized it and flipped it around before pressing buttons.
With another remote I have, the light button glows in the dark, so it's very easy to find that button in a dark room to press and light up
the whole remote when necessary.
Might be cool to try and incorporate a light button on the bottom of a remote, so you know where it always is and can easily press it when
necessary or not press it if you choose.
I also really like the motion sensing light of the new UDP-203 remote. I can see how some people wouldn't want it to always light up though.
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #24176 of 25715 Old 12-18-2016, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ It's interesting to see how different remotes are designed for different gear. Most of them leave something to be desired.
with some obviously being worse than others. One of the worst I have used is for the Roku players.
Agreed. It stays in a box somewhere. I use the Harmony One in its place.
leemathre and Jacob305 like this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is online now  
post #24177 of 25715 Old 12-18-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filmnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I just upgraded from an 83 to a 103 and I'm trying to decide if I want to use the HDMI output and let my Onkyo receiver do the audio processing and D/A conversion, or if I should use the MC analog outputs on the Oppo and utilize the processing there.

The Oppo's DAC is the Cirrus CS4382A -> Data sheet
The Onkyo's DAC is the Cirrus CS4385 -> Data sheet

So the Onkyo's DAC appears to be slightly more capable, based on the specs. I doubt I would hear a difference, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best audio possible. The Onkyo has Audyssey EQ, but I don't use it on digital inputs anyway. I think that's the only feature I would give up if I do the signal processing in the Oppo.

One other comment. The Onkyo came out in 2009 with the 4385 DAC, whereas the 103 was introduced 3 years later with the previous, 4382a DAC. I would have thought the Oppo would have the more updated DAC.

Your thoughts? Likely to be a toss-up?

filmnut
filmnut is offline  
post #24178 of 25715 Old 12-18-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3752 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmnut View Post
I just upgraded from an 83 to a 103 and I'm trying to decide if I want to use the HDMI output and let my Onkyo receiver do the audio processing and D/A conversion, or if I should use the MC analog outputs on the Oppo and utilize the processing there.

The Oppo's DAC is the Cirrus CS4382A -> Data sheet
The Onkyo's DAC is the Cirrus CS4385 -> Data sheet

So the Onkyo's DAC appears to be slightly more capable, based on the specs. I doubt I would hear a difference, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best audio possible. The Onkyo has Audyssey EQ, but I don't use it on digital inputs anyway. I think that's the only feature I would give up if I do the signal processing in the Oppo.

One other comment. The Onkyo came out in 2009 with the 4385 DAC, whereas the 103 was introduced 3 years later with the previous, 4382a DAC. I would have thought the Oppo would have the more updated DAC.

Your thoughts? Likely to be a toss-up?
Using multi-channel analog connects will eliminate any DSP, bass management, EQ and the like. Does that seem like a good trade-off?
rdgrimes is offline  
post #24179 of 25715 Old 12-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,187
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5769 Post(s)
Liked: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmnut View Post
I just upgraded from an 83 to a 103 and I'm trying to decide if I want to use the HDMI output and let my Onkyo receiver do the audio processing and D/A conversion, or if I should use the MC analog outputs on the Oppo and utilize the processing there.

The Oppo's DAC is the Cirrus CS4382A -> Data sheet
The Onkyo's DAC is the Cirrus CS4385 -> Data sheet

So the Onkyo's DAC appears to be slightly more capable, based on the specs. I doubt I would hear a difference, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best audio possible. The Onkyo has Audyssey EQ, but I don't use it on digital inputs anyway. I think that's the only feature I would give up if I do the signal processing in the Oppo.

One other comment. The Onkyo came out in 2009 with the 4385 DAC, whereas the 103 was introduced 3 years later with the previous, 4382a DAC. I would have thought the Oppo would have the more updated DAC.

Your thoughts? Likely to be a toss-up?
Use HDMI audio to the Onkyo.

The Analog audio configuration MIGHT be better, but it's a lot harder to set up correctly.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #24180 of 25715 Old 12-18-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filmnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Using multi-channel analog connects will eliminate any DSP, bass management, EQ and the like. Does that seem like a good trade-off?
The only tradeoff would be the loss of Audyssey EQ and the ability to apply a matrix surround mode (e.g., PLII or Neo:6) to a 2-channel source in the AVR. I don't use those features. The Oppo has all the speaker config and bass management onboard, and even has a lot more choices for crossover frequency than the Onkyo. So the only question for me is which one would provide better audio. Just trying to get thoughts on that. My guess is I probably won't hear a difference.
calidoc75 likes this.

filmnut
filmnut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off