Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 831 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10213Likes

post #24901 of 25806 Old 11-23-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Cool Oppo Customer Service

My Oppo 103 stopped playing a Netflix BR at the 45 minute mark and was totally unresponsive in trying to reload said disc with the Home Menu indicating that there was no disc present. Finished watching that BR on another player. Called Oppo the next day who suggested that I get a lens cleaner for the laser and Netflix would no longer connect (that was solved by cancelling Netflix and then re-installing the Network connection). Got the lens cleaner and it also wouldn’t load at which point I called Oppo again. Got an RMA and paid a flat $99 to fix the out of warranty 103. Sent it via UPS on a Wednesday late and Oppo received the unit on Friday, repaired it on Friday (after checking out the unit), and then shipped it out the same day. Got it back via Fedex on Monday morning. The problem with the 103 was that the loader no longer functioned and was replaced. Everything was reset to how it would come out of the factory, as well as any update when it came to firmware. That unit had been set to code 2 for my remote. By default it had been reset to code 1. Good thing that I had a 93 that was set to code 1 so that I could reset the 103 to code 2 by using the remote for the 93. No doubt there is a way around this problem via another call to Oppo, but that wasn't needed. Can’t beat Oppo for customer service and that has always been true.
fgsouza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24902 of 25806 Old 11-23-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question on the 103D and ARC.

I have a Panasonic Viera and the toslink output jack is broken...will not hold the cable.

Is there a way to connect the VT60 to my 103D via the hdmi2 port of the tv which supports ARC, to the oppo amd have the oppo output a digital signal from either the optical or coaxial digital out to my preamp?
post #24903 of 25806 Old 11-26-2017, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
To tag onto the Win 10 discussion, after none of the above solutions worked (nor those in the 203 thread), I was able to solve my problem by turning my router into the Master Browser for my network. I have an ASUS router and installed the custom Merlin firmware (super easy to do, zero problems). With that firmware I made my router the Master Browser (which in addition to the SMB 1.0 issues, seems to be another major issue with the latest builds of Win 10, even for computer-to-computer networking).

I know this particular solution only works for those who own ASUS routers, but hopefully those of you with other routers can also find a way. (If you have more than one computer on the network at all times, you can make that the Master Browser and it should fix the OPPO's problems as well.)
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24904 of 25806 Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by i6pwr View Post
Question on the 103D and ARC.

I have a Panasonic Viera and the toslink output jack is broken...will not hold the cable.

Is there a way to connect the VT60 to my 103D via the hdmi2 port of the tv which supports ARC, to the oppo amd have the oppo output a digital signal from either the optical or coaxial digital out to my preamp?
Yes... Provided the Panasonic TV has its VIERA Link option enabled, and your HDMI lead supports ARC if you select the Oppo's 'ARC: HDMI Out 1' option, the Oppo will receive audio from your TV that can be passed to an amp or pre-amp

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #24905 of 25806 Old 11-26-2017, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Yes... Provided the Panasonic TV has its VIERA Link option enabled, and your HDMI lead supports ARC if you select the Oppo's 'ARC: HDMI Out 1' option, the Oppo will receive audio from your TV that can be passed to an amp or pre-amp
So to be clear, I can output the digital signal from the 103d through the coaxial digital output?

Does the 103d need to receive the signal through the hdmi1 out or the HDMI input?

Sorry this sounds so basic but I wasn't able to make it work.
post #24906 of 25806 Old 11-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5837 Post(s)
Liked: 8327
Quote:
Originally Posted by i6pwr View Post
So to be clear, I can output the digital signal from the 103d through the coaxial digital output?

Does the 103d need to receive the signal through the hdmi1 out or the HDMI input?

Sorry this sounds so basic but I wasn't able to make it work.
HDMI ARC sends audio from the TV back to the OPPO on the HDMI cable that normally sends video TO the TV. So you would use the HDMI 1 *OUTPUT* socket on the OPPO to achieve ARC audio INPUT from the TV. Confused yet?

You need to use the Input button (upper right on the Remote) to select that you want the OPPO to listen to that ARC audio coming in from the TV. Any audio played this way will be available on all the audio outs of the OPPO, including its Coax digital output. HDMI specifications for ARC audio limit it to the same sort of audio that can be carried by Optical/Coax (S/PDIF) cabling. For example, you won't get lossless Bitstreams like DTS-HD MA or DolbyTrueHD coming in to the OPPO over that ARC audio connection.

Many TVs implement ARC on top of HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable). That's why the suggestion that you have to turn on the Viera Link stuff in the TV (which is their marketing name for HDMI CEC). You may also need to turn it on in the OPPO (see Setup > Device Setup).

Be aware that the HDMI specifications for HDMI CEC and HDMI ARC are deliberately loose so that makers can implement their own proprietary solutions. This means incompatibility issues abound between equipment from different companies. If it works, consider yourself lucky. For example, if you get the audio going, you may discover there are problems caused by having to leave the HDMI CEC stuff turned on -- such as unexpected shifts of input selections.
--Bob
fgsouza likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #24907 of 25806 Old 11-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The OPPO 10x players can not play or pass through ANY content which is already 4K. They can Up-Scale lower resolution content to 4K output, but can not play anything that is already 4K. This includes the HDMI Inputs.
--Bob
I just purchased an LG OLED C7 and wondering if anyone is using the upscaling feature on the Oppo and what the results are like? I am debating wether to upgrade to the new 203.

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
post #24908 of 25806 Old 11-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Video quality on HDMI input of Oppo BDP-103 is lacking

I have a Roku plugged in to an HDMI input of my Oppo BDP-103. Using Netflix as a source, I recently did a comparison of the video quality between the Roku>HDMI input and streaming directly through the Netflix app that is included with the Oppo. There is a fairly notable difference in the video image quality between the two. I was using several scenes from Star Wars Rogue One and it is almost like comparing a 720p stream to a 1080p stream. This was especially evident in scenes with motion, where you would get jaggies and juddering in the Roku stream, where the internal streaming app is smooth as silk.

Would anyone have ideas about what could account for this?

Any input is much appreciated!
fgsouza likes this.
post #24909 of 25806 Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5837 Post(s)
Liked: 8327
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra View Post
I have a Roku plugged in to an HDMI input of my Oppo BDP-103. Using Netflix as a source, I recently did a comparison of the video quality between the Roku>HDMI input and streaming directly through the Netflix app that is included with the Oppo. There is a fairly notable difference in the video image quality between the two. I was using several scenes from Star Wars Rogue One and it is almost like comparing a 720p stream to a 1080p stream. This was especially evident in scenes with motion, where you would get jaggies and juddering in the Roku stream, where the internal streaming app is smooth as silk.

While playing the Roku stuff into HDMI Input, press Info button on the OPPO remote. The top line will show you what's coming in from the Roku. It may very well BE 720p.
--Bob
fgsouza likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #24910 of 25806 Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
While playing the Roku stuff into HDMI Input, press Info button on the OPPO remote. The top line will show you what's coming in from the Roku. It may very well BE 720p.
--Bob
A recent firmware update from Roku reset the resolution of the device from 1080p to 720p; check your Roku system settings to see if this happened to you.
fgsouza likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #24911 of 25806 Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
A recent firmware update from Roku reset the resolution of the device from 1080p to 720p; check your Roku system settings to see if this happened to you.
How recent are we talking? Like within the past couple weeks? I bought the latest generation Roku Ultra when it came out about a month ago.
post #24912 of 25806 Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I have had this issue with my Roku streaming stick for quite awhile now. Does anyone know if Roku is going to fix the issue?

Media Room System: Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Streaming Stick+, Emotiva XMC-1 Processor (5.2 Setup), Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 Amp, (4) GoldenEar Aon 2 Speakers, (1) GoldenEar SuperCenter X, (2) SVS SB-1000 Subs, Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote, and Furman Elite-15 PFi Power Conditioner
Computer Audio System: AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC, AudioQuest JitterBug, Audeze LCD-X Headphones, and Audiofly AF180 In-Ear Monitors
post #24913 of 25806 Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa247 View Post
I have had this issue with my Roku streaming stick for quite awhile now. Does anyone know if Roku is going to fix the issue?
Did you check the system settings on your Roku to make sure it's set to 1080p? If it isn't, chaning that setting to 1080p seems to "stick."

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #24914 of 25806 Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskang View Post
How recent are we talking? Like within the past couple weeks? I bought the latest generation Roku Ultra when it came out about a month ago.
Maybe within the last month? I know there was a major firmware update pushed out recently. Roku devices automatically install the updates without telling you. So check the Roklu system settings and make sure the video resolution is set to 1080p.

post #24915 of 25806 Old 11-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Did you check the system settings on your Roku to make sure it's set to 1080p? If it isn't, chaning that setting to 1080p seems to "stick."
Yes, my setting is 1080p and I even tried a factory reset. I talked to Oppo about it and they said that they thought Roku fixed the issue. I also make sure the firmware is always up to date, which hasn't fixed my issue so far either.

Media Room System: Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Streaming Stick+, Emotiva XMC-1 Processor (5.2 Setup), Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 Amp, (4) GoldenEar Aon 2 Speakers, (1) GoldenEar SuperCenter X, (2) SVS SB-1000 Subs, Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote, and Furman Elite-15 PFi Power Conditioner
Computer Audio System: AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC, AudioQuest JitterBug, Audeze LCD-X Headphones, and Audiofly AF180 In-Ear Monitors
post #24916 of 25806 Old 11-29-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Never noticed any issues while streaming Prime through a Roku 3 hooked up to the 103. Seemed to be similar PQ as when direct to my old receiver (no audio though, thus the hookup to the 103 to handle the Dolby Digital Plus audio). (And it always seemed to be running 1080p whenever I checked it.)

Now also running that Roku 3 direct with new receiver. Still 1080p. Also was running Roku Premiere+ on my 1080p only system, PQ is still fine, though at least for one app there are video anomalies that I don't get with the same app running on the Roku 3 (which is why I just added it back to my system). (Prime I've run a few times with the Premiere+ and don't recall similar anomalies, but haven't had the time to get back to Prime and see if it does the same or not. Could just be a (going) bad Premiere+ box...)
post #24917 of 25806 Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I have verified that the display setting is at 1080p and have also viewed the on-screen information regarding the input which tells me it is 1080. I also did a little more comparing before watching a movie with my wife and it is quite notable. My wife agreed with this. It does have the appearance of 720p...esp. with all the motion jaggies. Interestingly, the lack of detail is very pronounced when viewing the Netflix menu - which is busy with a lot of text.

This is a Roku 3 hard wired via Ethernet cable.

I have a Roku 4 hooked up to another TV. I am going to pull that out to compare.
post #24918 of 25806 Old 11-29-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have verified that the display setting is at 1080p and have also viewed the on-screen information regarding the input which tells me it is 1080. I also did a little more comparing before watching a movie with my wife and it is quite notable. My wife agreed with this. It does have the appearance of 720p...esp. with all the motion jaggies. Interestingly, the lack of detail is very pronounced when viewing the Netflix menu - which is busy with a lot of text.

This is a Roku 3 hard wired via Ethernet cable.

I have a Roku 4 hooked up to another TV. I am going to pull that out to compare.
Again, I don't know if this is your problem, but when my Roku was plugged into the Oppo's USB slot, the result was a herky-jerky picture when the Oppo was set to convert everything to 24 fps; with that setting turned off, the picture was fine.

post #24919 of 25806 Old 12-01-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't know if this is your problem, but when my Roku was plugged into the Oppo's USB slot, the result was a herky-jerky picture when the Oppo was set to convert everything to 24 fps; with that setting turned off, the picture was fine.
I gave this a try and it did not have much effect. Plugging the Roku straight into my projector did seem to resolve the issue though. Although I still feel that the image quality is inferior to the image directly from the Oppo, it seemed to resolve the motion issues. I saw this bit of info in doing some research which, I believe, comes straight from Roku support:
The Roku app use HLS or Adaptive Streaming, which is a protocol that detects your bandwidth and CPU capacity in real time, and adjusts the quality of a video stream accordingly.
This means that Roku will automatically chose the best video resolution, depending on your internet connection.
If your video looks blurry, is slow or has very low resolution, please reset your internet connection, get the Roku device device closer to your wireless modem, and try again
post #24920 of 25806 Old 12-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Is your Roku wired or wireless?

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #24921 of 25806 Old 12-02-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Dolby Atmos / DTS-X

Gents, can the BDP-103 bitstream Dolby Atmos or DTS-X? If I have a full 1:1 rip of a bluray with Dolby Atmos sound playing through the OPPO from my NAS, can my Marantz SR7011 receive the bitstream sound and decode it properly?
post #24922 of 25806 Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Any way to get the Oppo Media Control app to scroll long file names?

Right now it just cuts off the file name after X number of characters, can't find a way to see the whole file name. Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks!
fgsouza likes this.
post #24923 of 25806 Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post
Gents, can the BDP-103 bitstream Dolby Atmos or DTS-X? If I have a full 1:1 rip of a bluray with Dolby Atmos sound playing through the OPPO from my NAS, can my Marantz SR7011 receive the bitstream sound and decode it properly?
Yes it is indeed possible.

That being said... Some people have reported issues playing media files that contain Dolby TrueHD audio (with or without Atmos) when placed within the .mkv (Matroska) container. By contrast, there are no such issues when the same Dolby TrueHD audio (with or without Atmos) streams are placed within the .m2ts (transport) container.

Nice amp, by-the-way...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #24924 of 25806 Old 12-03-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
Any way to get the Oppo Media Control app to scroll long file names?

Right now it just cuts off the file name after X number of characters, can't find a way to see the whole file name. Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks!
No, it can't be done, and to me this is a serious shortcoming in the app. It has the same problem on my iPhone and a Fire tablet. I've emailed Oppo and suggested they fix this issue, but so far no response.
fgsouza likes this.

post #24925 of 25806 Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
No, it can't be done, and to me this is a serious shortcoming in the app. It has the same problem on my iPhone and a Fire tablet. I've emailed Oppo and suggested they fix this issue, but so far no response.
Thanks.
Guess I'll try and email them about it too...
post #24926 of 25806 Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry to be a pain in the ass guys but does anyone know if the 103 can bitstream Dolby Atmos and DTS-X to a capable receiver?
post #24927 of 25806 Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry to be a pain in the ass guys but does anyone know if the 103 can bitstream Dolby Atmos and DTS-X to a capable receiver?
As previously answered... Yes it is indeed possible.

That being said... Some people have reported issues playing media files that contain Dolby TrueHD audio (with or without Atmos) when placed within the .mkv (Matroska) container. By contrast, there are no such issues when the same Dolby TrueHD audio (with or without Atmos) streams are placed within the .m2ts (transport) container.

Cheers

post #24928 of 25806 Old 12-04-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Help 103D & ATMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
As previously answered... Yes it is indeed possible.

Cheers
What timing! I just setup Dolby ATMOS with 4 ceiling speakers and a new Denon AVR-X6400H. I'm using an Oppo 103D with the latest firmware. I learned the trick to turn on Audio/HDMI/bitstream, and it works, SORTA!?

With GOT, 6 year series, the menu at the beginning of each disc contains an audio setup. I select ATMOS - it works fine.

However, with Star Trek Beyond, the audio setup only contains DD5.1. The Oppo doesn't know anything about ATMOS, so it's audio output setting is only DD and DD5.1 also. It appears that the Oppo plays DD+Surround by default. I cannot seem to get the ATMOS stream. Any help appreciated.

I was planning to get a Panny 900 as part of a 4K upgrade, but it looks like I may have to do it sooner rather than later?!

Thanks

Spkrs: C B&W 801, L&R 802S3, DM602 surrounds & rears, 2-Velodyne ULD-15 subs; BDP: Oppo 103d PJ: SP-A800B Room: 23 x 16 x 8.6 acoustic sheet rock, flat black, Tube Traps (2), 12 sound panels
AVR: Yamaha RXV665, L/C/R driven by Marantz 200W monos STB: DirecTV HR44 PJ: SP-A800B Scr: STR-169120-WAB
post #24929 of 25806 Old 12-04-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by glabelle17 View Post
What timing! I just setup Dolby ATMOS with 4 ceiling speakers and a new Denon AVR-X6400H. I'm using an Oppo 103D with the latest firmware. I learned the trick to turn on Audio/HDMI/bitstream, and it works, SORTA!?

With GOT, 6 year series, the menu at the beginning of each disc contains an audio setup. I select ATMOS - it works fine.

However, with Star Trek Beyond, the audio setup only contains DD5.1. The Oppo doesn't know anything about ATMOS, so it's audio output setting is only DD and DD5.1 also. It appears that the Oppo plays DD+Surround by default. I cannot seem to get the ATMOS stream. Any help appreciated.

I was planning to get a Panny 900 as part of a 4K upgrade, but it looks like I may have to do it sooner rather than later?!

Thanks
Don't have "Star Trek Beyond" but ALL my Dolby Atmos (and DTS:X) Blu-ray discs play fine with my Oppo 103 and my Denon 6200. Check your disc menu audio settings again. Also, check your Denon audio settings.

From: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-T...lu-ray/145430/

"Star Trek Beyond" Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
French (Canada): Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1
fgsouza likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #24930 of 25806 Old 12-04-2017, 12:01 PM

BEAUTIFUL! Thanks guys. Time to install some ceiling speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page