Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 837 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10201Likes

post #25081 of 25731 Old 03-25-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Sounds like your streamer is the culprit.
--Bob
Hi Bob.

I did another test today and think I stumbled onto something.

I connected a laptop to the Oppo via HDMI and played some music files (they played fine).

In the laptop’s power settings, I had it set to never go to sleep, but forgot to change the setting for when the screen turns off (it was set to 5 minutes). Sure enough, as soon as the screen turned off, the audio cut off. As soon as I woke the screen back up, audio resumed.

This makes sense given this quote from an earlier post of yours:

Quote:
...(HDMI Audio is carried inside an HDMI Video signal — always. So the video settings affect what’s going on in the HDMI audio path.)
—Bob

Jim Salk said this in a response to my post on AC:
Quote:
What you are seeing on your TV is the StreamPlayer login after booting up. If you hook up a keyboard, you can actually log into the StreamPlayer using your TV as a monitor. Of course, there is no need to do so unless you are doing maintenance on the OS. But this is normal. And after some period of inactivity (not logging in), the screen will go blank and/or the cursor will stop flashing. This also is normal behavior....

So if I’m right, the streamer is shutting off the video signal at the ~9.5 minute mark (consistent with what I’m seeing on the TV), and as such, the audio gets cut as well. Rebooting the streaming activates it’s video signal again, hence audio works again as well, until video is cut again due to the streamer’s perceived “inactivity”.

I shared this information with Jim Salk. Hopefully, he can change a setting in the streamer to prevent he video signal from turning off.

What do you think? Am I on the right track here?

Last edited by Saturn94; 03-25-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25082 of 25731 Old 03-26-2018, 03:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
So if I’m right, the streamer is shutting off the video signal at the ~9.5 minute mark (consistent with what I’m seeing on the TV), and as such, the audio gets cut as well. Rebooting the streaming activates it’s video signal again, hence audio works again as well, until video is cut again due to the streamer’s perceived “inactivity”.

I shared this information with Jim Salk. Hopefully, he can change a setting in the streamer to prevent he video signal from turning off.

What do you think? Am I on the right track here?
Yes, that would be consistent with the behavior you're seeing.
post #25083 of 25731 Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good news....Jim Salk emailed to me a command code I could enter into the Salkstream’s programming that stopped the Salkstream from putting its video signal into screensaver/sleep mode. So far tonight I’ve been playing multichannel music through the Oppo for about 1.5hrs with no interruptions. And this is with the original high speed HDMI cable I was using (the new one I ordered hasn’t arrived yet).

There’s only little nagging issue I have left playing through the Oppo (it doesn’t happen playing direct to my ore/pro). When selecting a different album, a fraction of a second of the first track gets chopped off. Subsequent tracks don’t do this. Not a huge deal, but a little annoying. Are there any tweaks in the Oppo or in Roon I can make to improve this?
gsr likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25084 of 25731 Old 03-27-2018, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Are there any tweaks in the Oppo or in Roon I can make to improve this?
Nature of the Oppo beast. Tweak is to rewind to the beginning and it will/should play from the beginning.
post #25085 of 25731 Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Nature of the Oppo beast. Tweak is to rewind to the beginning and it will/should play from the beginning.
Thanks.

That’s what I suspected. I did notice “rewinding” back to the beginning worked.
post #25086 of 25731 Old 03-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Newbie to the Oppo tribe here. Looking for recommendations of PC software with which to stream audio and video files to my BDP-103. Thanks in advance.
post #25087 of 25731 Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post
Newbie to the Oppo tribe here. Looking for recommendations of PC software with which to stream audio and video files to my BDP-103. Thanks in advance.
The 103 offers direct file sharing support. So if you are able to set up file sharing on your network then there's no need for any additional software.
post #25088 of 25731 Old 03-29-2018, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Just-so-you-know... If your PC is running Windows 10 you can 'push' media files to your Oppo using the PC's 'Cast to device' feature.

But if you're thinking of playing your media files on other 'smart' devices in the future, it might be time to consider getting yourself an NAS.

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #25089 of 25731 Old 03-30-2018, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Not having any luck trying to to use my PC as a DLNA server. I can find the folders, in this case, two hard drives in my PC; 1 with audio files the other with videos and movies, but whenever i try opening them, a user name and password is requested. Going over settings to see what is up...
post #25090 of 25731 Old 03-30-2018, 04:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Not having any luck trying to to use my PC as a DLNA server. I can find the folders, in this case, two hard drives in my PC; 1 with audio files the other with videos and movies, but whenever i try opening them, a user name and password is requested. Going over settings to see what is up...
That sounds like SMB rather than DLNA.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #25091 of 25731 Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That sounds like SMB rather than DLNA.

-Bill
For the time being, i'll continue to use my Logitech Squeezebox........
post #25092 of 25731 Old 03-30-2018, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
If you install Twonky ($20 for the license) on your PC as a DLNA server, it has the ability to push files to a renderer like the 103.

However, I prefer to use my Android phone as the controller, with Twonky as the file server and BubbleUPnP Server - which is free - acting as an intermediary making the Twonky library available remotely from your phone over the net with Android BubbleUPnP ($5 at the Google Play Store) and when your phone is on your wifi network, that same Android app can push music and movies from your PC to the 103 and any other renderers you have.

I set BubbleUPnP to send all files at full resolution locally but as 128k mp3s over the net to my phone when listening remotely, to avoid running up my phone bill.

You can use the FooUPnP plugin for Foobar2000 (both also free - the total software cost for my setup is thus $25) as both a file server syndicated by BubbleUPnP Server and as a client/renderer/controller like the android app - so I run that as a client on my upstairs PC, with its sound card plugged into my hifi, letting me play music in bed using my phone as the controller, and on my laptop to listen to music from home when traveling. In the car, I run a cord from the phone's earphone jack into my car stereo's line input!

The advantages of Twonky over FooUPnP as the file server are that Twonky shows you embedded album art while browsing as well as while playing, while FooUPnP only shows it while playing, and Twonky can be set to auto update its index when you add new stuff, while FooUPnP has to be manually updated, including closing and reopening Foobar2000.

Both Android BubbleUPnP and FooUPnP (which are written by the same programmer as the BubbleUPnP Server) let you do word searches through your files' tags to find half-remembered things.

I first set all this up under Windows 7 - and it survived a direct upgrade to Windows 10 without a hiccup.

My 103 can't play gaplessly, but it can play 5.1 surround FLACs pushed to it this way.

For gapless play, I push instead to my Yamaha RX-A1030 as a gapless renderer thanks to BubbleUPnP Server (Yamaha doesn't even call it a renderer at all). The only shortcoming is that over DLNA, the Yamaha plays my 5.1 surround FLACs as stereo. I console myself that there is very little gapless surround material.

In my apartment upstairs from my theater, I push instead to the copy of fooUPnP in foobar2000 running on that PC, with its sound card's output plugged into my hifi. The OpenHome standard as implemented by the BubbleUPnP Server even lets me move play to another renderer and contintue from the same point in my source file. Of all my renderers, omly the Oppo can't play gaplessly, but it's also the only one that can play in surround over the network.

Last edited by Philnick; 03-31-2018 at 04:48 AM.
post #25093 of 25731 Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

I just installed Universal Media Server and will play around with it when i'm not so tired. It makes sense that there is a problem with SMB. I have a couple of old Netgear EVA9150 Digital Entertainer Elite media player/NAS units. Their software is a SMB based media server that worked until Windows 8 was introduced and no longer afterwards...I do not have an AVR..I'm a basic 2 channel stereo guy and will try to to get the Oppo to play my music files in place of the SZqueezebox.
post #25094 of 25731 Old 03-31-2018, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
I just installed Universal Media Server and will play around with it when i'm not so tired. It makes sense that there is a problem with SMB. I have a couple of old Netgear EVA9150 Digital Entertainer Elite media player/NAS units. Their software is a SMB based media server that worked until Windows 8 was introduced and no longer afterwards...I do not have an AVR..I'm a basic 2 channel stereo guy and will try to to get the Oppo to play my music files in place of the SZqueezebox.
I use oShare (free DLNA server) with my Oppo 103; it works perfectly with the 103, my Oppo Sonica Dac, and all other networkable equipment for video, music, etc. I am using with Windows 7, but should work with Win10
scott_bernstein likes this.

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #25095 of 25731 Old 03-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
With Windows:
Open Control Panel
Select Programs
Select Turn Windows Features On and Off
Scroll down to SMB 1.0 file sharing support
Click on the + symbol
Make sure all 3 boxes are checked
Click OK.
It should work now

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #25096 of 25731 Old 03-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

I looked at that. The box is/was ticked. There is no '+' symbol with mine for the subset of features in my version of Windows. I am using Windows 8.1 Enterprise (which in itself could be the problem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
With Windows:
Open Control Panel
Select Programs
Select Turn Windows Features On and Off
Scroll down to SMB 1.0 file sharing support
Click on the + symbol
Make sure all 3 boxes are checked
Click OK.
It should work now
post #25097 of 25731 Old 03-31-2018, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I looked at that. The box is/was ticked. There is no '+' symbol with mine for the subset of features in my version of Windows. I am using Windows 8.1 Enterprise (which in itself could be the problem).
I have 3 Win10s and one Win 8 and they are all Home versions. I did not realize that there would be a difference. I was having this issue and I had to check the server box but I just clean installed all three of my Win10 machines and now it works even with the server box unchecked. Mine got hosed from the January updates that had the patch for the CPUs. My old machine was running a older dual core AMD chip and needed a special patch.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #25098 of 25731 Old 03-31-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
If you install Twonky ($20 for the license) on your PC as a DLNA server, it has the ability to push files to a renderer like the 103.
Any PC running Windows 10 is able to 'push' most media file formats to the Oppo (or other 'smart' devices) via UPnP using the 'Cast to device' function.

And if you enable the in-built UPnP media server on your Windows computer, the Oppo will be able to access media files stored within your 'Music', 'Pictures' and 'Videos' folders.... No payment required

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 03-31-2018 at 10:26 AM.
post #25099 of 25731 Old 03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
This is probably an issue with some of the Windows 10 file-sharing settings. If you get it working, remember what you did because sometimes WIndows updates will change these settings. There are probably similar steps to follow if you've got Win 7 or 8.

First, have you turned on sharing for your Music library? Once you've done that, try these steps.

Go to Settings, then choose Network and Internet. Click "sharing options." Under "Private (current profile), click "Turn on file and printer sharing."
Under "Guest or Public," also turn on file and printer sharing.

Scroll down to All Networks and click the down arrow to open some more items below. Scroll all the way down and select "turn off password-protected sharing." Turn off the 103, reboot your computer. When the computer is up, turn on the 103 and you should be able to access your music files without a password. If you don't feel like having the TV on, you can use the Oppo Media Control app on an iOS device, Android phone or tablet, or Amazon Fire HD tablet to see the file titles on your PC and play them. The portable device must be on the same WiFi network as the 103.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #25100 of 25731 Old 04-01-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Any PC running Windows 10 is able to 'push' most media file formats to the Oppo (or other 'smart' devices) via UPnP using the 'Cast to device' function.

And if you enable the in-built UPnP media server on your Windows computer, the Oppo will be able to access media files stored within your 'Music', 'Pictures' and 'Videos' folders.... No payment required
Even if you go with Win 10 as your media file server instead of Twonky, it's still a good idea to install the free BubbleUPnP Server to be able to access your media remotely over the net with a PC running the free fooUPnP.

To also (1) access your media remotely with your phone and (2) use it as a WiFi controller to direct media to your renderers requires the princely sum of $5 for Android BubbleUPnP - and (3) which can also temporarily link your media into a friend's DLNA setup when on their WiFi network.

I like Twonky as a file server because I can see album artwork while browsing - if Win 10's server allows that, more power to you!

post #25101 of 25731 Old 04-01-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To also (1) access your media remotely with your phone and (2) use it as a WiFi controller to direct media to your renderers requires the princely sum of $5 for Android BubbleUPnP - and (3) which can also temporarily link your media into a friend's DLNA setup when on their WiFi network.
If you download and install the Oppo 'Media Control' app on your phone/tablet you can use it to find/access media files stored within your 'Music', 'Pictures' and 'Videos' folders on your Windows PC and any other device that stores your media files.

Whilst payware apps might offer more flexibility, if you don't need such flexibility there's no need to buy them...

post #25102 of 25731 Old 04-01-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you don't see the value in playing your music while away from home from your phone's headphone jack (with the ability to find half-remembered things by searching for text strings in your tags), or (while on your LAN's WiFi) directing play to any of your renderers and controlling play all with one app, or playing your collection through a friend's DLNA setup by temporarily linking in your server with your phone while on their WiFi, then I guess $5 is too much to pay (as a one-time fee) for Android BubbleUPnP (BubbleUPnP Server and fooUPnP are free).

Personally, I found Oppo's media control app ugly and unwieldly - even when I could run it under Android 5 - and it won't even run on my Android 6 phone.

Last edited by Philnick; 04-01-2018 at 08:17 AM.
post #25103 of 25731 Old 04-02-2018, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks to all that are trying to help. To those that a saying to do this or that under windows 10, i am running Windows 8.1 Enterprise. I have Universal Media Server installed, but when it is open in windows, the Oppo does not show it in any settings pages thoug the Oppo does show up in network devices. Have tried to download BubbleUpnp and install several times,but it will not run on my PC for some reason. All firewall, malware and antivirus programs were disabled....May try Twonky next...i don't have the need to remotely access any PC files on any portable device so i will not use those features. I have looked at my router settings and nothing stands out as a problem and my network is wired...so i am completely stumped be cause Logitech Squeezebox is working on the network...
post #25104 of 25731 Old 04-02-2018, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks to all that are trying to help. To those that a saying to do this or that under windows 10, i am running Windows 8.1 Enterprise. I have Universal Media Server installed, but when it is open in windows, the Oppo does not show it in any settings pages thoug the Oppo does show up in network devices. Have tried to download BubbleUpnp and install several times,but it will not run on my PC for some reason. All firewall, malware and antivirus programs were disabled....May try Twonky next...i don't have the need to remotely access any PC files on any portable device so i will not use those features. I have looked at my router settings and nothing stands out as a problem and my network is wired...so i am completely stumped be cause Logitech Squeezebox is working on the network...
On the documentation page for BubbleUPnP, it says that the requirements for Java differ if you're running it as a service or as an individual user: as a service it requires 32 (not 64) bit Java 7 or 8, as an individual it can use either, and supports up to Java 9. The advantage of the service installation is that it doesn't require a login when the machine restarts. There are download links for either type of installation.

post #25105 of 25731 Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Tried both....

Quote:
On the documentation page for BubbleUPnP, it says that the requirements for Java differ if you're running it as a service or as an individual user: as a service it requires 32 (not 64) bit Java 7 or 8, as an individual it can use either, and supports up to Java 9. The advantage of the service installation is that it doesn't require a login when the machine restarts. There are download links for either type of installation.
post #25106 of 25731 Old 04-02-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The first thing to set up is a DLNA file server to make available your music and video files, whether it's the free fooUPnP component for foobar2000, Twonky, or Windows Media Player.

BubbleUPnP enhances the ones you're using, it doesn't do that itself.

Inside BubbleUPnP Server you select the DLNA file server that is hosting your music and video files- BubbleUPnP Server does not itself index and serve your media files but hosts all of your DLNA servers and makes them available over the net and your renderers - like the 103 -controllable via your phone. (All of the above are free except for Twonky.)

There are tabbed pages inside BubbleUPnP Server to select file servers (to expose them over the net for access by fooUPnP and Android BubbleUPnP) and renderers (like your 103), to make them into OpenHome renderers controllable by your Android BubbleUPnP, which costs $5.

To make things reachable over the net you have to set up a reliable dynamic web address - anyone who has set up remote control access to their machines knows about services like NoIP - and create a login and password combination inside BubbleUPnP for your remote devices to use.

Last edited by Philnick; 04-02-2018 at 07:54 PM.
post #25107 of 25731 Old 04-03-2018, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
If I wanted to order a spare remote for the 103 (regular, NOT Darbee), would the remote at the Oppo Store for the 203 work?
post #25108 of 25731 Old 04-03-2018, 06:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway1 View Post
If I wanted to order a spare remote for the 103 (regular, NOT Darbee), would the remote at the Oppo Store for the 203 work?
Yes. The code sets for all the OPPO Blu-ray players has been the same. And code set 1 was used on the DVD players.

There may be a button or two that don't apply to the 103, or are missing; I'd have to look.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #25109 of 25731 Old 04-03-2018, 06:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

^ You also might ask OPPO if they have any 103 remotes on hand.

-Bill

post #25110 of 25731 Old 04-03-2018, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So long, and thanks for all the players!

I've had my BDP-103 for 5 years now, and still love it; the analog outputs have made the decision to keep my older amplifier (which I still love too!) around, despite its lack of HDMI inputs.

So it is with sadness that I read about Oppo Digital's exit from manufacturing new products: Farewell

Thanks Oppo for the fantastic hardware, firmware, and support!
pashine, jskang and Paulidan XM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page