Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 838 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10211Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #25111 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
NCCaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitslop View Post
I've had my BDP-103 for 5 years now, and still love it; the analog outputs have made the decision to keep my older amplifier (which I still love too!) around, despite its lack of HDMI inputs.

So it is with sadness that I read about Oppo Digital's exit from manufacturing new products: Farewell

Thanks Oppo for the fantastic hardware, firmware, and support!
Wow! I have also had my BDP-103 for about 4 years now. Considering the future lack of supply....maybe I better invest in a UDP-203...

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
NCCaniac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25112 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Member
 
Mark.Leiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have had my 103D about 3 years now, but up until this weekend the rest of my equipment kept me from projecting an image to the Oppo's full potential. Now I have my sparkling new EPSON 5040ub projector and Onkyo TX-R870 receiver installed I was ready to see what all the fuss was about. So I had everything up and running and I popped in my the TRON: Legacy 3D Blu ray and to my disappointment I got a message saying my DVD player was not compatible with the 3D disc? Well at that point I was tired and after having my furniture in my garage the last 6 weeks, I just wanted to watch a movie. So I watched it in 2D. The picture was amazing. First time I've experience UHD on a 120" screen.

But my question is; Is there something I need to do to get the Oppo to read a 3D disc? Shouldn't it read it automatically?

Thanks all.
Mark.Leiter is offline  
post #25113 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 07:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,535
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked: 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
I have had my 103D about 3 years now, but up until this weekend the rest of my equipment kept me from projecting an image to the Oppo's full potential. Now I have my sparkling new EPSON 5040ub projector and Onkyo TX-R870 receiver installed I was ready to see what all the fuss was about. So I had everything up and running and I popped in my the TRON: Legacy 3D Blu ray and to my disappointment I got a message saying my DVD player was not compatible with the 3D disc? Well at that point I was tired and after having my furniture in my garage the last 6 weeks, I just wanted to watch a movie. So I watched it in 2D. The picture was amazing. First time I've experience UHD on a 120" screen.

But my question is; Is there something I need to do to get the Oppo to read a 3D disc? Shouldn't it read it automatically?

Thanks all.
It should be automatic, but sounds like the player and TV disagree on that. The receiver may be confusing things.

Try Video Setup -> 3D Output = "Forced". Any luck?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25114 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,717
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
But my question is; Is there something I need to do to get the Oppo to read a 3D disc? Shouldn't it read it automatically?

Thanks all.
Everything in the HDMI chain must support 3D and handshake correctly.
Make sure you have a good quality HDMI cable connecting the player to the AVR and the AVR to display. All else fails you can set the Oppo to force 3D output.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #25115 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ralarcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Wow! I have also had my BDP-103 for about 4 years now. Considering the future lack of supply....maybe I better invest in a UDP-203...
Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG will be happy to step up to the niche OPPO has filled, and to a great extent they already have, at a better price. Thus the reason OPPO is not competitive, any longer. I say this as an OPPO owner, mind you.

Cheers
Ralarcon is offline  
post #25116 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Member
 
Mark.Leiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Everything in the HDMI chain must support 3D and handshake correctly.
Make sure you have a good quality HDMI cable connecting the player to the AVR and the AVR to display. All else fails you can set the Oppo to force 3D output.
Thanks for the quick replies.

The cables have been installed a few years but they are good quality. The printing on the cables themselves says: Type: CL2 Shielded 24AWG/13C+22AWG/2C. I believe type 2 cables are good enough to pass a 4K image. Though the one running from the projector to the receiver is quite long, about 35 feet or so. I can do some more checking around when I get home from work.
Mark.Leiter is offline  
post #25117 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,979
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4590 Post(s)
Liked: 2666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG will be happy to step up to the niche OPPO has filled, and to a great extent they already have, at a better price. Thus the reason OPPO is not competitive, any longer. I say this as an OPPO owner, mind you.

Cheers
I'm also a 103 and 203 owner but one thing I didn't like about the 203 was the lack of streaming services. I don't know if this caused the downfall but I had heard from an Oppo representative that the streaming services were not interested in participating in the new 203 at launch. Don't know why this is but maybe it has something to do with $$$ going to either side?
Ralarcon likes this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #25118 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Member
 
jskang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitslop View Post
I've had my BDP-103 for 5 years now, and still love it; the analog outputs have made the decision to keep my older amplifier (which I still love too!) around, despite its lack of HDMI inputs.

So it is with sadness that I read about Oppo Digital's exit from manufacturing new products: Farewell

Thanks Oppo for the fantastic hardware, firmware, and support!
Dang! I was hoping this was some sort of cruel April Fool's Day joke. Guess not.

Now I'm seriously wondering if I need to pick up a 203, too.
jskang is offline  
post #25119 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,535
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked: 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
Thanks for the quick replies.

The cables have been installed a few years but they are good quality. The printing on the cables themselves says: Type: CL2 Shielded 24AWG/13C+22AWG/2C. I believe type 2 cables are good enough to pass a 4K image. Though the one running from the projector to the receiver is quite long, about 35 feet or so. I can do some more checking around when I get home from work.
The most valuable diagnostic would be to temporarily relocate the player to near the projector and connect it directly with a short cable.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #25120 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Mark.Leiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The most valuable diagnostic would be to temporarily relocate the player to near the projector and connect it directly with a short cable.

-Bill
That would be difficult as my projector is mounted on a small shelf near the ceiling. But perhaps I can bring the projector down on the table temporarily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180128_125942.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2384418  
Mark.Leiter is offline  
post #25121 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ralarcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I'm also a 103 and 203 owner but one thing I didn't like about the 203 was the lack of streaming services. I don't know if this caused the downfall but I had heard from an Oppo representative that the streaming services were not interested in participating in the new 203 at launch. Don't know why this is but maybe it has something to do with $$$ going to either side?
Yes, I think that was a sign that everything was not well. When they decided that it was not possible to pay the licensing fees of the streaming applications and staying profitable with each deck at the same price point.

Cheers
Ralarcon is offline  
post #25122 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,276
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5832 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
That would be difficult as my projector is mounted on a small shelf near the ceiling. But perhaps I can bring the projector down on the table temporarily.
It will probably be easier to temporarily put the player on a stand or step ladder so that the 6-foot cable OPPO provides with the player will reach from the player to the projector.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #25123 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
NCCaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG will be happy to step up to the niche OPPO has filled, and to a great extent they already have, at a better price. Thus the reason OPPO is not competitive, any longer. I say this as an OPPO owner, mind you.

Cheers
Better price, perhaps, but not the build quality. There is a reason there is a price difference between, say, a Sony receiver and an Anthem receiver. Same with the Oppo and the mass-consumer brand players.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
NCCaniac is offline  
post #25124 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ralarcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Better price, perhaps, but not the build quality. There is a reason there is a price difference between, say, a Sony receiver and an Anthem receiver. Same with the Oppo and the mass-consumer brand players.
The "build quality" of the high end Sony and Panasonic decks, easily rival anything OPPO has built.

Cheers
fgsouza likes this.
Ralarcon is offline  
post #25125 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,369
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
The "build quality" of the high end Sony and Panasonic decks, easily rival anything OPPO has built.

Cheers
Not interested unless they play sacd and dvd-audio. Do they? Region-free capability is mandatory also.

(My first few generation Panasonic BD players were okay, but I pretty easily wore them out or let's rather say that they didn't last very long as they were not all that robust.)

(Edit: Guess not.)

Last edited by fmalczewski; 04-04-2018 at 08:35 AM.
fmalczewski is offline  
post #25126 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG will be happy to step up to the niche OPPO has filled, and to a great extent they already have, at a better price. Thus the reason OPPO is not competitive, any longer. I say this as an OPPO owner, mind you.

Cheers
Can you direct me to another player that handles CD, SACD, DVD, Blu-Ray, and also will stream stereo and Mch audio files over WiFi up to DSD64, and which costs the same or less as a new 103 did, or as a 203 does now? Also, it has to play digital files from a USB thumb drive or USB hard drive.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #25127 of 25785 Old 04-03-2018, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ralarcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Can you direct me to another player that handles CD, SACD, DVD, Blu-Ray, and also will stream stereo and Mch audio files over WiFi up to DSD64, and which costs the same or less as a new 103 did, or as a 203 does now? Also, it has to play digital files from a USB thumb drive or USB hard drive.
Yes, Sony UBP X800.

Cheers
Ralarcon is offline  
post #25128 of 25785 Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Yes, Sony UBP X800.

Cheers
The Sony manual for this unit lists the various audio file types it can handle, but there are footnotes for most of the filetypes saying that they won't play over a home wifi network. So will this unit stream hi-res FLAC, WAV, and stereo/MCh DSD64 files from a server or PC on a home network??

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #25129 of 25785 Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ralarcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
The Sony manual for this unit lists the various audio file types it can handle, but there are footnotes for most of the filetypes saying that they won't play over a home wifi network. So will this unit stream hi-res FLAC, WAV, and stereo/MCh DSD64 files from a server or PC on a home network??
I know it will do Wav. for sure I've streamed the files. Do not know about the other two. Refurbished decks are going for almost free. Buy one give it a shot, it will do everything else, plus 4K with HDR.

Cheers
Ralarcon is offline  
post #25130 of 25785 Old 04-05-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
The Sony manual for this unit lists the various audio file types it can handle, but there are footnotes for most of the filetypes saying that they won't play over a home wifi network. So will this unit stream hi-res FLAC, WAV, and stereo/MCh DSD64 files from a server or PC on a home network??
How about asking your questions over in the Sony UBP X800 topic...
gsr, Ralarcon and pbarach like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #25131 of 25785 Old 04-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Member
 
Mark.Leiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
That would be difficult as my projector is mounted on a small shelf near the ceiling. But perhaps I can bring the projector down on the table temporarily.
Well I nailed down what the problem was. Turns out that I had the 3D function turned off in the settings. This hardens back to the first rule of system diagnostics. If a human is involved, check to be sure they are not screwing it up. LOL

Anyways,

Last night I tried out both a 3D disc I have (TRON: Legacy) and tried using Oppos 2d to 3D up-conversion function. I have to say I was really not impressed. The 3D glasses seemed to have problems syncing correctly with the TRON movie. One lens would be noticeably darker than the other and there would be a flicker effect in one of the lens that seemed to come and go.

Then I tried the 2D to 3D function on my copy of Star Trek 2 Blu-Ray. While it did work, it made the picture so dark it was almost unwatchable. It was so dark I lost the WOW factor of having a 4k projector. I would rather have the higher resolution than the simulated 3D.

That's about as far as I got, I may see about setting the projector to a brighter setting and see if that helps, but unless it does I don't see me using the 3D functionality that much at all.
Mark.Leiter is offline  
post #25132 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,369
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
That's about as far as I got, I may see about setting the projector to a brighter setting and see if that helps, but unless it does I don't see me using the 3D functionality that much at all.
3D benefits from brighter settings. My Panasonic plasma cranks the brightness way high (maybe even maxed out) when 3D is active and usually that's just about enough.

Also I started to turn the lights off altogether, which helps a bit more yet. Still get a little flicker from time to time but otherwise usually ok, and usually after a little bit I seem to adjust to the flicker and don't hardly even notice it.

Plus also, I haven't tried it myself, but fake 2D to 3D seems like something to not really judge 3D by. Get a real 3D blu-ray disc.
fmalczewski is offline  
post #25133 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Draden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Plus also, I haven't tried it myself, but fake 2D to 3D seems like something to not really judge 3D by. Get a real 3D blu-ray disc.
I tried the 2D to 3D conversion and was not impressed at all. I agree with the above poster, get a real 3D disc and go from there. 3D is still my preferred way to watch Avatar, Pacific Rim, and Star Wars The Force Awakens. It is a very immersive way to watch if properly setup, meaning not too big a screen as to maximize the brightness. My screen is 98” diagonal so in the projector world that is considered small.
Draden1 is offline  
post #25134 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
645824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
Yes, Sony UBP X800.

Cheers
None of the Sony's (UBP-X800, UBP-X700, UBP-X1000ES) offers the analog outputs that the Oppo 103 has. But the Panasonic DMP-UB900 does have 7.1 analog outputs.

Here is a comparison between the 203 and the ub900:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/op...0-which-better


This sentence up near the top sums it up:
but it’s the Oppo UDP-203 that pushes the boundaries of 4K performance even further – in fact, it outshines the Panasonic in every way.

I love my 103 Darby, and it is still going strong, but it is getting old and will fail at some point. The analog outputs were one thing that made it unique (I don't have a receiver, I have 7.1 powered speakers that connect directly to the 103). Ordinarily, I would have gotten a 203, but with Oppo stopping that makes that a much tougher call.


Why oh why Oppo are you abandoning the market.

Thanks,

Scott
fgsouza likes this.

Last edited by 645824; 04-07-2018 at 10:29 AM.
645824 is offline  
post #25135 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Since none of the Sony's (UBP-X800, UBP-X700, UBP-X1000ES) offers the analog outputs that the Oppo 103 has, can someone suggest an alternative to the Oppo with the analog outputs?

I love my 103 Darby, and it is still going strong, but it is getting old and will fail at some point. The analog outputs were one thing that made it unique (I don't have a receiver, I have 7.1 powered speakers that connect directly to the 103). Ordinarily, I would have gotten the new 20x series, but with Oppo stopping that makes that a much tougher call.

Thanks,

Scott
Panasonic DMP-UB900. So buy a 203 and if your 103D ever fails, then you have a replacement. The 103D and 203 may outlive you though. Full disclosure: I'm an Oppo fan.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman

Last edited by kokishin; 04-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.
kokishin is offline  
post #25136 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Since none of the Sony's (UBP-X800, UBP-X700, UBP-X1000ES) offers the analog outputs that the Oppo 103 has, can someone suggest an alternative to the Oppo with the analog outputs?
Somebody asked much the same question in this recent Need multi channel player, with analog outs topic...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #25137 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
645824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Somebody asked much the same question in this recent Need multi channel player, with analog outs topic...
Yes. And the recommendation from that thread is to get the Oppo. But now with Oppo leaving the market the discussion is vital. However, your point is well taken; perhaps there needs to be a separate "what to get now that Oppo is discontinuing" thread.


For me, I'm a little confused. Since the blu-ray disks are digital, and the disk reader is digital, and the HDMI output is digital, and the monitor/TV/projector is digital, then what difference does it make? Maybe the folks at Oppo asked the same hard question of themselves... And yet, there does seem to be a difference in the players (see my previous post for a link to a side-by-side comparison).

Thanks,

Scott
645824 is offline  
post #25138 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
For me, I'm a little confused. Since the blu-ray disks are digital, and the disk reader is digital, and the HDMI output is digital, and the monitor/TV/projector is digital, then what difference does it make? Maybe the folks at Oppo asked the same hard question of themselves... And yet, there does seem to be a difference in the players (see my previous post for a link to a side-by-side comparison).
A lot of us who listen to stereo and multi-channel music still have and prefer analogue amplifiers. Hence the need for disc spinners with analogue outputs...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #25139 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,977
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 926
I am an Oppo 83 user that has been looking for a 103 to which to push DSD with DLNA. I might still do that, but i might succumb to the science that shows I couldn’t hear the difference if JRiver converts it to PCM fed to my XMC-1. In which case, I would keep keepin’ on with the 83.

My vote is that it is fine that members come here asking what to buy instead of an Oppo ... or to be convinced to follow through on buying an Oppo. I won’t hesitate if I decide to push DSD.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
pepar is online now  
post #25140 of 25785 Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
645824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Why oh why Oppo are you abandoning the market.
Oppo's answer is that it is just based on revenue and the cost of maintaining a manufacturing facility https://www.avsforum.com/oppo-announc...-new-products/


Scott
645824 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off