Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 851 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10201Likes

post #25501 of 25731 Old 11-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo BDP-103 "Unknown Disc" errors

I recently purchased an Oppo BDP-103 in excellent cosmetic condition, (with all accessories - even the original bag and box - so I assume it was well cared for) and I am getting "Unknown Disc" errors for most blu-rays and some DVDs. Sometimes I can get a disc to play if I open and close the drawer quite a few times. Sometimes a disc will play right away, and then if I turn off the unit and turn it back at a later time I will get unknown disc again. The firmware appears to be the latest version (BDP10X-83-1226). I have no problem playing the same discs in a Samsung BD-JM63C. I tried spraying compressed air through the open tray per online suggestions. When that didn't work I removed the unit cover and sprayed the optical reader with compressed air. That didn't work either.

I contacted Oppo support and they said I need to send it in for repair. Since it's out a warranty it will cost me $99 + $40 shipping.

I have owned my cheap Samsung for years without any problems. In fact, I've never had a blu-ray/DVD player that wouldn't play discs. I purchased the Oppo for many reasons, one being their supposed "legendary" build quality, but now I'm not so sure. What if Oppo fixes it and a year or two later I have the same problem again? The Oppo player is only 4 years old (built in September 2014) and was supposedly used in an office environment for training purposes. As I said, cosmetically it's like new. I have concerns with a player at this price and with such a high reputation for quality needing repairs so soon.

Any suggestions on a cause and/or fix? Could it be a faulty install of the firmware update? (it was already updated when I purchased it) I would prefer not to pay Oppo for something I can fix myself.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25502 of 25731 Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMann View Post
Any suggestions on a cause and/or fix? Could it be a faulty install of the firmware update? (it was already updated when I purchased it) I would prefer not to pay Oppo for something I can fix myself.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Gene
The cause is in the optical unit (laser). It either needs cleaning or replacing. Cleaning should be done by opening the drive unit itself and swabbing the lasers (2) with a swab just damp with alcohol. Blowing on it might not be enough. If you have questions, Oppo support can give you more detailed instructions on opening that thing.Its really only about a 15 min job.
fgsouza likes this.
post #25503 of 25731 Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The cause is in the optical unit (laser). It either needs cleaning or replacing. Cleaning should be done by opening the drive unit itself and swabbing the lasers (2) with a swab just damp with alcohol. Blowing on it might not be enough. If you have questions, Oppo support can give you more detailed instructions on opening that thing.Its really only about a 15 min job.

Thanks for the reply, rdgrimes. I forgot to mention that I did wipe it with a Q-tip and alcohol when I opened it up to spray the compressed air. So I guess after 4 years it already needs an expensive part. I was hoping to save a few bucks and avoid the hassle and cost of shipping by fixing it myself, but it seems Oppo does not sell parts for DIY repairs. I found some for sale on Ebay but I'm hesitant to purchase one because it's likely a chinese made knock-off. So I guess I'll have to pay Oppo to fix it or be stuck with an expensive cd-only player.

I know Oppo players get a lot of praise from their owners, but not from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25504 of 25731 Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, rdgrimes. I forgot to mention that I did wipe it with a Q-tip and alcohol when I opened it up to spray the compressed air. So I guess after 4 years it already needs an expensive part. I was hoping to save a few bucks and avoid the hassle and cost of shipping by fixing it myself, but it seems Oppo does not sell parts for DIY repairs. I found some for sale on Ebay but I'm hesitant to purchase one because it's likely a chinese made knock-off. So I guess I'll have to pay Oppo to fix it or be stuck with an expensive cd-only player.

I am not sure I understand why you blame Oppo for you purchasing a used BDP-103 with a dodgy drive unit. Your earlier post did not say if the unit you purchased worked flawlessly from purchase and then later began to malfunction. All you said was it was cosmetically perfect but you were having disk read issues. Those of us that praise Oppo do so out of the value of what we got out of purchasing a product that worked and has given good service. When you buy used with no warranty, caveat emptor. You have no way of knowing how many "miles" the previous owner put on the unit to guess whether the drive unit failed earlier than it should have or not.
fgsouza likes this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #25505 of 25731 Old 11-15-2018, 11:30 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
^ Yeah, regardless of the exterior cosmetic condition, there's no way to know how much use the player has had or what abuse if may have had. If it was just purchased and isn't working as advertised, the obvious thing to do is to give the seller the option of taking it back or covering (or possibly splitting) the repair cost.
fgsouza likes this.
post #25506 of 25731 Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Oppo's flat-rate repair for out of warranty units is more than fair, and the service is unmatched. They will turn it around for you in one day, and you will have essentially a new player.

Quit blaming Oppo. Those optical units are used in a WIDE variety of players, in fact ALL players use Sony made opticals. News flash: some of them fail.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #25507 of 25731 Old 11-15-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Well, of course not, because you've had hardware problems. I can't recall seeing an excessive number reports of hardware problems on this forum. No product has 100% perfect performance for every unit they sell--my impression is that Oppo products are quite reliable. Based on my experience with the 103, they are 100% reliable, but that is an n=1 sample.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #25508 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 274
so today I was playing some SACD discs and all of the sudden the audio cut off. I took the disc out and played again and it played for about a minute and then the audio cut off again.
I thought maybe the cable, but no. tried another input on receiver. same. Blu-ray audio and regular cds still play, but no audio from any SACD.

Any thoughts on why. can't believe - this player has been rock solid and to replace with another SACD player is not something I was hoping to do right now.

Last edited by thetman; 11-16-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #25509 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
so today I was playing some SACD discs and all of the sudden the audio cut off. I took the disc out and played again and it played for about a minute and then the audio cut off again.
I thought maybe the cable, but no. tried another input on receiver. same. Blu-ray audio and regular cds still play, but no audio from any SACD.

Any thoughts on why. can't believe - this player has been rock solid and to replace with another SACD player is not something I was hoping to do right now.
Oppo support is only an email away.

What happens on an SACD if you toggle back and forth between DSD output and PCM? What about DVD playback?
post #25510 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oppo support is only an email away.

What happens on an SACD if you toggle back and forth between DSD output and PCM? What about DVD playback?
haven't tried that yet- trying to do the latest firmware via usb but I keep getting an error message no firmware found. tried two different drives. nothing.

update: found a long ethernet cable and completed the latest firmware update. I'll try out some SACD discs to see if any audio dropouts occur.
As for you other question I have SACD playback on Auto- never had issues before in this setting. should I change it?

Last edited by thetman; 11-16-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #25511 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I am not sure I understand why you blame Oppo for you purchasing a used BDP-103 with a dodgy drive unit. Your earlier post did not say if the unit you purchased worked flawlessly from purchase and then later began to malfunction. All you said was it was cosmetically perfect but you were having disk read issues. Those of us that praise Oppo do so out of the value of what we got out of purchasing a product that worked and has given good service. When you buy used with no warranty, caveat emptor. You have no way of knowing how many "miles" the previous owner put on the unit to guess whether the drive unit failed earlier than it should have or not.
AMEN, I'm with you one hundred percent.
post #25512 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I have SACD playback on Auto- never had issues before in this setting. should I change it?
Absolutely try it on DSD and PCM to see what happens. I'm half thinking your problem is at the other end of the HDMI cable.
post #25513 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely try it on DSD and PCM to see what happens. I'm half thinking your problem is at the other end of the HDMI cable.
well the HDMI able is brand new Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed cable. when you mean the other end- do you mean the receiver?
Update was successful via ethernet. Okay I replayed the disc that I was originally playing when the audio stopped ( mobile fidelity sacd breakfast in America). This time no audio dropouts. Also played a multichannel said ( sly-family stone GH) again seems fine. maybe it was the firmware? Time will tell. hopefully end of problem

question- what will setting it on DSD or PCM do instead of Auto. Less buggy? Audio performance?
post #25514 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
question- what will setting it on DSD or PCM do instead of Auto. Less buggy? Audio performance?
Auto gives the decision to the AVR at the other end. Using explicit DSD or PCM avoids issues related to bad handshakes.
post #25515 of 25731 Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Auto gives the decision to the AVR at the other end. Using explicit DSD or PCM avoids issues related to bad handshakes.
good to know thanks. I'll keep an eye on it and try out those settings if problem arises again. seems weird after all this time that Auto setting would start to act up. thanks again
post #25516 of 25731 Old 12-01-2018, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Unfortunately we do not have this specific wireless adapter anymore, but you can use one of the following on Amazon.com as they are compatible with the player:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC6T7KB/

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017N6KI8W/

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

So i'm looking for a new wi-fi adaptor as my original Oppo one appears to be fried, the ones listed above appear to be no longer available, any suggestions for alternatives please?
post #25517 of 25731 Old 12-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy brit View Post
So i'm looking for a new wi-fi adaptor as my original Oppo one appears to be fried, the ones listed above appear to be no longer available, any suggestions for alternatives please?
Bear in mind that the 103/105 wifi adapters are somewhat limited in bandwidth. Here they seem to hit a wall at about 54Mbps. Not enough for 1080p with lossless high-res audio. But if you REALLY want one, THIS is identical.

There are lots and lots of gizmos like this around that will do the job. I use one that is in "client mode" so its not broadcasting. It connects to the Oppo by Ethernet and provides abundant bandwidth. I have it rigged so its only powered on when the Oppo is on.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #25518 of 25731 Old 12-01-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Bear in mind that the 103/105 wifi adapters are somewhat limited in bandwidth. Here they seem to hit a wall at about 54Mbps. Not enough for 1080p with lossless high-res audio. But if you REALLY want one, THIS is identical.

There are lots and lots of gizmos like this around that will do the job. I use one that is in "client mode" so its not broadcasting. It connects to the Oppo by Ethernet and provides abundant bandwidth. I have it rigged so its only powered on when the Oppo is on.
A range extender with ethernet, perfect!
Thank you
post #25519 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy brit View Post
A range extender with ethernet, perfect!
Thank you
Ethernet-over-powerline range extenders like this one are very much subject to the copper wiring infrastructure inside your home. They really depend upon a "continuous" copper line feed going from the source gizmo to the target gizmo, which is often not the case.

Frequently copper lines go through a circuit breaker box or are somehow otherwise "broken", so that there's not a single line going from the wall socket in the network/router "source" location to the wall socket in the target "client" location. It can also be affected by the types of wall sockets used, and whether there is a grounding pin, etc. So performance for this type of technology is not really 100% guaranteed to provide the claimed spec performance shown on the carton.

But if it works in your situation, it's a great essentially no-cost solution to providing wired/wireless internet access to a remote location where you need it, without having to run ethernet cables. I used this ethernet-over-powerline method in my cousin's home, going from one end of the house in the "office" to the other end of the house in the "family room", just through wall power sockets. It kind of worked pretty well. But in the end after a year of intermittent performance they decided to hire someone to run a true long CAT6 cable connecting the two locations around the outside of the house instead, which of course provided flawless gigabit delivery to the "full 811 wireless access point (WAP)" I installed in the family room which now provided flawless wired/wireless capability to the remote region.

Yet one more technology solution to the problem of somehow delivering wired/wireless ethernet to one or more remote locations when ethernet cable is not directly available is ethernet-over-coax. It makes use of existing old (RG59) or new (RG6) coaxial cable runs throughout the rooms of the house which are used to deliver "old fashioned TV/cable/satellite" service. Ethernet-over-coax gizmos like this NH-310C unit from Netsys (just like with ethernet-over-powerline you need a pair (or more!), one at the source side and one (or more!) at each destination location) work absolutely 100% super reliably... if you have a coax cable run, even with splitters. Can be used over distances of up to 4000 feet including with coax splitters installed along the way, and provides 2x100Mbps wired ethernet RJ45 channel ports at ether end via the long coax cable in between the pair of gizmos.

I actually use two of these today in my own home, because I never ran an ethernet cable to my family room during construction, and it is today impossible to accomplish. However I did run a coax cable for what in those days was standard to service a "cable box" for TV in that room. Today I use one NH-310CH at the coax outlet in the family room, connected to a source NH-310C located in the network closet area where all my coax runs terminate as well as where an ethernet cable to my main router is available. I have a coax splitter in the famly room from which a second coax cable run then goes over through the ceiling to my kitchen (where again, I never had installed ethernet originally), and where I placed a third NH-310C. Works great, and through two WAPs in both the family room and kitchen I now have wired/wireless 10/100 service throughout all the rooms which are too far away from the main WiFi router to otherwise receive acceptable wireless service that way.
post #25520 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
That Netgear device posted above is not a MoCA device, it's just a simple extender/access point that uses the AC outlet for power, not for the transmission of Ethernet data.

I've used a couple of these at various times around my property in both AP mode and extender mode and they've been pretty reliable. As my OPPO is hard-wired I've never used one for that purpose though. By the way, you can find them at a much lower cost at the big auction site, I got mine for less than half of that price listed in the link.

Last edited by Keenan; 12-02-2018 at 10:18 AM.
post #25521 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 134
When playing flac. files on a DVD disc, my 203 sometimes does not clear info from a previously loaded disc completely. After playing a disc and then playing another, an image from the previous disc is shown. Not only that but if I click on the image, the song from the previous disc will actually play. I've contacted OPPO and was asked to reset to factory settings but it happened again. Also the representative from OPPO said that this is not possible even though I sent him/her a picture of the occurence. Has anyone else had this happen? I've cleared out stored information also but that did not help.

Last edited by jbug; 12-02-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #25522 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
When playing flac. files on a DVD disc, my 203 sometimes does not clear info from a previously loaded disc completely. After playing a disc and then playing another, an image from the previous disc is shown on. Not only that but if I click on the image, the song from the previous disc will actually play. I've contacted OPPO and was asked to reset to factory settings but it happened again. Also the representative from OPPO said that this is not possible even though I sent him/her a picture of the occurence. Has anyone else had this happen? I've cleared out stored information also but that did not help.
I'm a bit confused about what you're playing. Media files on a data DVD? What "images" are shown from a data DVD?

Have you tried playing the files from a USB stick?
post #25523 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm a bit confused about what you're playing. Media files on a data DVD? What "images" are shown from a data DVD?

Have you tried playing the files from a USB stick?

Flac. files on DVD RW with album cover images. I prefer disc and thanks.
post #25524 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Flac. files on DVD RW with album cover images.
Are the images embedded in the files or separate?
Have you tried a USB stick?
post #25525 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Flac. files on DVD RW with album cover images. I prefer disc and thanks.
DVD~RW's eh??!!

It's much easier and quicker to play and store Flac files via a USB connected HDD. You can place thousands of them onto say, a USB powered 2TB (2.5") HDD
jbug likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #25526 of 25731 Old 12-02-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
DVD~RW's eh??!!

It's much easier and quicker to play and store Flac files via a USB connected HDD. You can place thousands of them onto say, a USB powered 2TB (2.5") HDD

I'm open for that. Still, I'd like to know what the problem was with my disc. I never had that problem with my 103. Hopefully, OPPO will be helpful.
post #25527 of 25731 Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are the images embedded in the files or separate?
Have you tried a USB stick?

There is a seperate folder for images
post #25528 of 25731 Old 12-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
There is a seperate folder for images
Well you lost me then, never heard of that. I always have them embedded into the files.

Sounds like your player is somehow caching the image and thinks its the same disc when you insert the next one.
post #25529 of 25731 Old 12-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Lots of helpful info.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
More helpful info......
Thanks for the info both.
I picked up a basic TP-Link dual range extender with ethernet for CAN$40.
It blows away the performance of the original Oppo wifi adapter, the signal strength appears to be much better, and Netflix is so much faster.
Plus I have better overall strength wi-fi around the house (router is in the basement, cinema setup is on the middle floor)
post #25530 of 25731 Old 12-03-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well you lost me then, never heard of that. I always have them embedded into the files.

Sounds like your player is somehow caching the image and thinks its the same disc when you insert the next one.

The artwork is in a separate Adobe file. These are downloads from HD Tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page