Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 859 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10205Likes

post #25741 of 25759 Old 09-03-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Bob, pepar, fmalczewski,

thanks for all your feedback to my question. @fmalczewski : it seems you are correct - the seller does not ship to Europe as per auction regulations. I sent a PM though to confirm that there is truly no way to make this possible. The price is really fair and the feedback is clearly positive.

@Bob : I tried your suggestion with a different room & wall power socket, as well as disconnecting HDMI and choosing different cables. Didn't make a difference unfortunately. The network idea does not apply - the player cannot be flooded with network requests since it never was connected to my network in the first place!

Best,
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25742 of 25759 Old 09-04-2019, 04:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathCollector View Post
Hi Bob, pepar, fmalczewski,

thanks for all your feedback to my question. @fmalczewski : it seems you are correct - the seller does not ship to Europe as per auction regulations. I sent a PM though to confirm that there is truly no way to make this possible. The price is really fair and the feedback is clearly positive.

@Bob : I tried your suggestion with a different room & wall power socket, as well as disconnecting HDMI and choosing different cables. Didn't make a difference unfortunately. The network idea does not apply - the player cannot be flooded with network requests since it never was connected to my network in the first place!

Best,
Dom
In that case, you have exhausted the things the things you can do yourself and the player will need service.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #25743 of 25759 Old 09-04-2019, 05:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Hi Bob,

I have been around a while and always nod in agreement when reading your pithy posts. This one though has me scratching my head, so I am here seeking higher enlightenment. What "wall power issue" could cause a lockup?

For even higher enlightenment, what on a network would flood the player with requests during bootup, and requests for what?

Jeff
The usual problem with wall power is low voltage. This most commonly happens when folks are using a power conditioner which can’t handle the total draw of everything connected to it. Power amps and Subs can exhibit high draw for example when they come out of standby.

Some networking devices want the world to know they are there and are way too insistent about it. This seems to be most common with network accessible printers for some reason. During power up, the player is trying to wake up its own networking and can get sidetracked by a flood of broadcasts like this.
—Bob
pepar and jskang like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25744 of 25759 Old 09-07-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi Bob!

Do you have a suggestion for my problem?

I have a Oppo 103 which was originally connected through the main hdmi output.
But for some reason I got no sound from CD’s or SACD’s. Later I have learned that SACD is not possible
using the main output.
I have it setup using bitstream, and movies with Dolby and DTS tracks work fine. Also DVD Audio works.
But not CD’s..

The same settings works dandy with the second output. No difference when changing dual/single output
settings. I have also tried turning on internal decoding, still no CD sound.

Note that this used to work, something happend with the latest firmware or the one before it.

TV: Sony KD-65ZD9 BLURAY: Pioneer UDP-LX800 PREPRO: Emotiva RMC-1 11ch AMP: Emotiva XPA-11 gen3 Network streamer: Pioneer N-70AE Speakers: Front SVS Ultra Tower Center SVS Ultra Center Surround (4 speakers) Dynavoice Definition DX-5 Height (4 speakers top) SVS Prime Elevation Subwoofer (2 subwoofers) XTZ SUB 12.17 Edge
post #25745 of 25759 Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo bdp-103 Plays media files then stops

My OPPO BDP-103 Bluray player had been working perfectly well for years reading the media files from my network Storage Drive. Only yesterday it found that it now plays the movie file only for a few seconds and stops or starts playing the next file available on the folder again for few seconds.
This is something new. Can anyone help? Did something change in my settings or the media player has been corrupted?
post #25746 of 25759 Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqbal Shaikh View Post
My OPPO BDP-103 Bluray player had been working perfectly well for years reading the media files from my network Storage Drive. Only yesterday it found that it now plays the movie file only for a few seconds and stops or starts playing the next file available on the folder again for few seconds...
Is this with new movies or with all your old movies too?

More detailed information about your network gear and set-up would be useful...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #25747 of 25759 Old 09-09-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3826 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
My OPPO BDP-103 Bluray player had been working perfectly well for years reading the media files from my network Storage Drive. Only yesterday it found that it now plays the movie file only for a few seconds and stops or starts playing the next file available on the folder again for few seconds.
This is something new. Can anyone help? Did something change in my settings or the media player has been corrupted?
How is the Oppo connected to your network? Sounds a bit like you have a network issue. Be sure the Oppo is set to "Energy Efficient" standby mode and reboot.
post #25748 of 25759 Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's doing this even to movie files which it played well.

My OPPO is connected hardwired to the network through a switch. It streams Netflix well, YouTube as well.
Same ethernet cable when connected to PS3 it reads and plays the same files which the OPPO didn't. It previously did for last 5 years. I think some settings got tampered

Where do I check if it's set to Energy Efficient mode?

Last edited by teachsac; 09-10-2019 at 09:05 PM.
post #25749 of 25759 Old 09-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thumbs up

Quote:
Where do I check if it's set to Energy Efficient mode?
Under Device Setup-Standby Mode [ Energy Efficient | Quick Start ]

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #25750 of 25759 Old 09-14-2019, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi,

I purchased a 103 on eBay and it should arrive soon. The seller noted that it had some kind of firmware that makes the unit region free.

Is that a potential source of problems with the unit? If so, can it be unhacked?

When I ordered it I presumed that was no big deal, I don’t have any PAL discs anyway. But in doing a bit or searching I fear I may have made a mistake.

Thanks.
post #25751 of 25759 Old 09-14-2019, 04:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4610 Post(s)
Liked: 4445
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post
Hi,

I purchased a 103 on eBay and it should arrive soon. The seller noted that it had some kind of firmware that makes the unit region free.

Is that a potential source of problems with the unit? If so, can it be unhacked?

When I ordered it I presumed that was no big deal, I don’t have any PAL discs anyway. But in doing a bit or searching I fear I may have made a mistake.

Thanks.
The seller may be thinking of the free Superdisc mod that makes the player region free for DVDs but not Blu-ray. This has worked on all of the OPPO Blu-ray players and has been trouble free.

I don't know of a way to remove it, although in the past certain firmware updates have deactivated it so I needed to be applied again.

If he is talking about some other type of hacked firmware: unknown.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #25752 of 25759 Old 09-14-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The seller may be thinking of the free Superdisc mod that makes the player region free for DVDs but not Blu-ray. This has worked on all of the OPPO Blu-ray players and has been trouble free.

I don't know of a way to remove it, although in the past certain firmware updates have deactivated it so I needed to be applied again.

If he is talking about some other type of hacked firmware: unknown.

-Bill
I emailed the seller and it looks like he purchased some kind of a usb dongle that only works when plugged in. So I am hoping this won't be an issue at all.
post #25753 of 25759 Old 09-14-2019, 12:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4610 Post(s)
Liked: 4445
Quote:
I emailed the seller and it looks like he purchased some kind of a usb dongle that only works when plugged in. So I am hoping this won't be an issue at all.
That probably means you get region free Blu-ray playback as well: a good thing if you import discs.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #25754 of 25759 Old 09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3826 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
This all sounds like the hacked Chinese firmware that enables ISO playback, region free and disables Cinavia detection. 2 things to be aware of: The special firmware will not do any of that unless the USB drive is plugged in at boot-up, and you cannot update the firmware without losing it. I have that particular mod here but do not use it cause I find it buggy in my 103. YMMV but if you want to be rid of it just install an official Oppo firmware.
post #25755 of 25759 Old 09-15-2019, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
This all sounds like the hacked Chinese firmware that enables ISO playback, region free and disables Cinavia detection. 2 things to be aware of: The special firmware will not do any of that unless the USB drive is plugged in at boot-up, and you cannot update the firmware without losing it. I have that particular mod here but do not use it cause I find it buggy in my 103. YMMV but if you want to be rid of it just install an official Oppo firmware.
That is super helpful. Thank you.
post #25756 of 25759 Old 09-15-2019, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That probably means you get region free Blu-ray playback as well: a good thing if you import discs.

-Bill
Yes, he mentioned the region free in his ad posting and did not mention Cinavia and ISO playback. But those may come along for the ride. Actually he did not mention the dongle at all in the ad.

One thing that was not mentioned was how to enable any of this. Said something about pressing buttons on the remote but did not state which ones. So if anybody knows much about that it would be helpful. I am not even sure if those options matter to me but it would be nice to know.

I am really buying this primarily because apparently one can stream SACD signals to the 103 and from there to the Marantz receiver for native DSD playback. I like the idea of digital jukeboxes even though I have the silver media.
post #25757 of 25759 Old 09-15-2019, 06:45 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 917
When you get the unit you will be in a better position to figure out how it works. Right now this is mostly speculation, IMO.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #25758 of 25759 Old 09-20-2019, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi all,

My new (to me; it was used and purchased on ebay) 103 has arrived and is now located in the cabinet.

I have it connected via HDMI 2 to my Marantz which can handle SACD/DSD over HDMI natively.

I understand that the unit can also accept DSD files (both stereo and multichannel) over the LAN. I presume that is via DLNA. I will experiment with that soon.

I also understand it can convert DSD via DoP. I am not quite clear if that is transport independent; can the HTPC send the DSD via DoP via HDMI or only via USB, and can USB 2.0 handle this?

Thanks!

By the way the region free was from some kind of dongle; I have that disconnected as I suspect it will just get in the way.
post #25759 of 25759 Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Hi all,

My new (to me; it was used and purchased on ebay) 103 has arrived and is now located in the cabinet.

I have it connected via HDMI 2 to my Marantz which can handle SACD/DSD over HDMI natively.

I understand that the unit can also accept DSD files (both stereo and multichannel) over the LAN. I presume that is via DLNA. I will experiment with that soon.

I also understand it can convert DSD via DoP. I am not quite clear if that is transport independent; can the HTPC send the DSD via DoP via HDMI or only via USB, and can USB 2.0 handle this?
I don't know what DoP is, but the 103 can accept stereo and multichannel files (up to DSD64) over WiFi or Ethernet via DLNA, as well as from a flash drive or portable hard drive plugged into the player's USB port. How well the DSD files will play over a WiFi network depends on the throughput of your network. If my network is busy with other stuff, occasionally DSD files will stutter.

One shortcoming is that long file or folder titles via DLNA don't scroll. I use a cheap Kindle tablet and the Oppo Media Control app to see more of a long folder name.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page