Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 861 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10233Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #25801 of 25885 Old 11-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
645824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Just a note that I've jumped ship from my Oppo 103D to the Panasonic UB9000 simply to get 4K functionality. Also, I have 7.1 powered speakers, and I had driven them directly with the 103D. As a consequence, I had to buy a receiver (Denon X3600H) -- the UB9000 does have a volume button on its remote, but it doesn't control the analog volume. The analog volume is menu controllable, but my wife vetoed going click-click-click in the UB9000 menu just to change the volume.

My Oppo 103D was an ideal box and I'm very sad to see it go. Since it still works great, I'll be putting it on eBay for folks who need that functionality.

Bye to all...

Scott
645824 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25802 of 25885 Old 11-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Senior Member
 
sschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
I've owned my 103 since the beginning (also have Philips BDP7501 for 4K BR); love it and mostly use it for its sonic qualities, i.e., CD's, network FLAC files, etc;also streaming MKV files. I also own an OPPO Sonica DAC.

Just wondering if anybody could give me suggestions on what BR player to replace the 103 with (when its time, hopefully not for awhile) going forward, that would replicate the sonic qualities of the 103 and would also have quality 4K performance.
I replaced my Oppo 103D a few months ago with a Panasonic UB820. You can ask questions on the UB820 owners' thread below.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...rice-talk.html
sschen is offline  
post #25803 of 25885 Old 11-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-ray Player Need Answers

I am in the USA, New York City. Recently bought a Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-ray Player off ebay from a reputable guy. It was listed as a multi region player, but the manual says it only plays region 1 and A. I can't get it To play DVD's or Blu-Rays from any region other than the USA. I have many disc from Europe Region 2 or B.
It was manufactured in August 2013.
The model number is B242U01333944488
Can anyone tell me if this model is multi regioin or not?
I tried a few tricks to convert the player by pressing on the remote Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer Mute and/or Pure Audio and so far that didn't do anything unless I am doing it wrong.
There was also a site that said to press 9210 on the set up screen, but that didn't make a new set up screen pop up so you can enter "0" to permanently change the region code.
Any guidance is helpful.
David Bartolomi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25804 of 25885 Old 11-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Oppo players usually needed a modification to be region free. Some dealers made the mod prior to sale, while others offered a simple kit to do it yourself. Are you sure the unit you have had the mod applied?
Steve P. is offline  
post #25805 of 25885 Old 11-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,308
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5851 Post(s)
Liked: 8362
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bartolomi View Post
I am in the USA, New York City. Recently bought a Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-ray Player off ebay from a reputable guy. It was listed as a multi region player, but the manual says it only plays region 1 and A. I can't get it To play DVD's or Blu-Rays from any region other than the USA. I have many disc from Europe Region 2 or B.
It was manufactured in August 2013.
The model number is B242U01333944488
Can anyone tell me if this model is multi regioin or not?
I tried a few tricks to convert the player by pressing on the remote Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer Mute and/or Pure Audio and so far that didn't do anything unless I am doing it wrong.
There was also a site that said to press 9210 on the set up screen, but that didn't make a new set up screen pop up so you can enter "0" to permanently change the region code.
Any guidance is helpful.
The player itself is not multi-region, which is why the Manual says what it does. But several different 3rd party companies have sold hardware mods which MAKE the player multi-region. A player sold on eBay as multi-region presumably comes with one of these 3rd party hardware mods installed.

It should ALSO have come with instructions telling you how to use that! I.e., you have to tell the mod installed in the player which Region you want it to use at the moment for Blu-ray discs.

If you didn't get instructions for the region-free mod installed in the player, I suggest you go back to the seller and ask for them. Or to at least have him tell you whose mod was installed in the player. There are only a few choices. If you can find that out, folks here using the same mod can help you with how to use it.

-------------------

A weirder possibility is that you bought a player with hacked firmware. If so, all bets are off as to how it works.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #25806 of 25885 Old 11-12-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,920
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
T
A weirder possibility is that you bought a player with hacked firmware. If so, all bets are off as to how it works.
--Bob
Most likely a 103 with the hacked firmware will require a USB drive with special secret stuff be inserted prior to powering on the player. Without that it just acts like normal firmware.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #25807 of 25885 Old 11-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
I've owned my 103 since the beginning (also have Philips BDP7501 for 4K BR); love it and mostly use it for its sonic qualities, i.e., CD's, network FLAC files, etc;also streaming MKV files. I also own an OPPO Sonica DAC.

Just wondering if anybody could give me suggestions on what BR player to replace the 103 with (when its time, hopefully not for awhile) going forward, that would replicate the sonic qualities of the 103 and would also have quality 4K performance.
Just a thought, but maybe you want to think about the next player a little differently?

Why try to replace the sonic qualities of the 103? Why not keep the 103 as your high res / high quality audio player and just look to add a 4k player for movies?

There are few 4k players out there that will play SACD or DVD-A at all, let alone as well as the 103.

Then you'd be able to look at much cheaper 4k players that do great video without worrying about SACD and DVD-A playback at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #25808 of 25885 Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
jmacari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Just a thought, but maybe you want to think about the next player a little differently?

Why try to replace the sonic qualities of the 103? Why not keep the 103 as your high res / high quality audio player and just look to add a 4k player for movies?

There are few 4k players out there that will play SACD or DVD-A at all, let alone as well as the 103.

Then you'd be able to look at much cheaper 4k players that do great video without worrying about SACD and DVD-A playback at all.

Just my 2 cents.
….As I said in my original post, I already own a very capable 4K BR player....Phillips BDP 7501......

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
jmacari is offline  
post #25809 of 25885 Old 11-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
….As I said in my original post, I already own a very capable 4K BR player....Phillips BDP 7501......
Yeah, saw that. I meant that I'd be looking to replace the Phillips with a 4k player that does Dolby Vision and HDR10+ and not worrying about whether or not it played a SACD as well, like the Sony x700 or x800.

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #25810 of 25885 Old 11-21-2019, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
RIppolito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Yeah, saw that. I meant that I'd be looking to replace the Phillips with a 4k player that does Dolby Vision and HDR10+ and not worrying about whether or not it played a SACD as well, like the Sony x700 or x800.
I have the Sony x800, and it plays SACDs fine.

Have you ever considered ripping your SACDS (stereo or multichannel), storing the files on a computer or server, and playing them over your network? That way, you remove the reliance on having a SACD- capable player. It can be done using the 103...
Ron
ckronengold likes this.
RIppolito is offline  
post #25811 of 25885 Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
web based UI?

Didn't see anything in the manual, but thought someone might know a trick.

Is there any way to access the Oppo's controls over a network other than using the app? If I'm sitting at my desk, I'd much rather load a web page than pick up my phone or table to use the app.

My marantz has a good web UI. Way more stable than their app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marantz2.png
Views:	44
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	2644046   Click image for larger version

Name:	marantz1.png
Views:	39
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2644048  

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #25812 of 25885 Old 11-22-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,920
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Is there any way to access the Oppo's controls over a network other than using the app?
There is not. IP control is available if you have an automation system.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #25813 of 25885 Old 11-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There is not. IP control is available if you have an automation system.
Bummer. But thanks for the quick reply, @rdgrimes .

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #25814 of 25885 Old 11-22-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,920
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Bummer. But thanks for the quick reply, @rdgrimes .
Its not clear exactly what you wish to do with it. But consider one of the programmable universal remotes like a Harmony Elite. That will work in the next room because it uses an IR blaster in the Hub unit and wifi communication to the Hub.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #25815 of 25885 Old 11-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Its not clear exactly what you wish to do with it. But consider one of the programmable universal remotes like a Harmony Elite. That will work in the next room because it uses an IR blaster in the Hub unit and wifi communication to the Hub.
Yup. Got one of those, and I have it set up with Google assistant, so "Fire up the jukebox" gets my Oppo turned on and the Marantz set to the right input. But from there, I still need to use the Oppo Media Control app to choose music files on the NAS.

With the Marantz UI, I can browse my NAS for files and have them played back on the receiver's media player. But I've always had problems with it, and the Oppo is better at playing a wider array of file types (DSD 5.1 being the biggest obstacle for the Marantz).

So thats a bit hard to do with the remote without getting up from my desk, turning on a monitor / screen to navigate the media library with the Oppo.

Still looking for a good solution for telling a device which locally stored file to play using Google Assistant. GA is really set up to get audio from the cloud music providers. I hear that Plex can do it somehow, but I haven't been able to find clear directions on what needs to be set up. Plus, music files being stored in NAS/music/HighRes/Artist/Album is a pretty steep ask, I think, for Google to find.

But thats what I'm trying to do.

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #25816 of 25885 Old 11-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
App question

Probably something simply I'm overlooking, but is there a way to use the media controller app to play an entire album rather than one track?

I have .m3u playlist files in my folders, but they don't show up when browsing. I'm not seeing anything at the "album" level, and certainly not seeing anything on the "file" level.

What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oppo.png
Views:	23
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	2646264  

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #25817 of 25885 Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Member
 
CalJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Probably something simply I'm overlooking, but is there a way to use the media controller app to play an entire album rather than one track?

I have .m3u playlist files in my folders, but they don't show up when browsing. I'm not seeing anything at the "album" level, and certainly not seeing anything on the "file" level.

What am I missing?
Might be a problem/setting with your NAS/source? The typical DLNA structure, including playlists, shows up fine in the app for me. The app works pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-083338b.png
Views:	15
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2648448  
CalJake is offline  
post #25818 of 25885 Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
Might be a problem/setting with your NAS/source? The typical DLNA structure, including playlists, shows up fine in the app for me. The app works pretty well.
I should probably check the "playlist" folder. I had always assumed that was for custom playlists or something, and not just the playlists that were sitting in my album folders.

Thanks for the kick in the head that I clearly needed.

Happy holidays!

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #25819 of 25885 Old 12-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Member
 
johnnywyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After replacing the DLP chip on my 61" Samsung I decided to re-calibrate. I also decided to run the audio tests and re-balance the 5.1 speakers. The Harman Kardon AVR 520 does not have HDMI so I run the audio through the analog outputs on the OPPO 103 to the AVR inputs. As I understand it the OPPO does all of the processing and the AVR simply amplifies the signal and sends it out to the speakers. Before I decided to re-balance the audio everything worked fine.

In the speaker configuration on the OPPO I set the fronts, center, and surrounds to small. I set the sub as on. The downmix is set to 5.1. I am still trying to get a grasp on understanding crossover frequencies and I have read in numerous places that a standard setting is at 80Hz. Running the pink noise tests, all speakers except for the sub respond and I can easily adjust their trim as necessary.

From the sub all I get is a barely audible signal; ran the Hz test as well and nothing. I tried changing the crossover and volume settings on the sub but it made no difference. I tried different RCA cables but no difference either. Yesterday I took the sub to a home theater store to have it tested and it worked fine. The only difference is that they tested it with a phone going into the two RCA inputs on the sub while I just use the left RCA input for LFE as usual. Today I am going to buy a new RCA cable to truly eliminate the cable as the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to set up speaker configuration in the AVR as well? I understood that the AVR setting would not matter when running analog.

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub

Last edited by johnnywyoming; 12-04-2019 at 11:16 AM.
johnnywyoming is offline  
post #25820 of 25885 Old 12-04-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,920
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywyoming View Post
After replacing the DLP chip on my 61" Samsung I decided to re-calibrate. I also decided to run the audio tests and re-balance the 5.1 speakers. The Harman Kardon AVR 520 does not have HDMI so I run the audio through the analog outputs on the OPPO 103 to the AVR inputs. As I understand it the OPPO does all of the processing and the AVR simply amplifies the signal and sends it out to the speakers. Before I decided to re-balance the audio everything worked fine.

In the speaker configuration on the OPPO I set the fronts, center, and surrounds to small. I set the sub as on. The downmix is set to 5.1. I am still trying to get a grasp on understanding crossover frequencies and I have read in numerous places that a standard setting is at 80Hz. Running the pink noise tests, all speakers except for the sub respond and I can easily adjust their trim as necessary.

From the sub all I get is a barely audible signal; ran the Hz test as well and nothing. I tried changing the crossover and volume settings on the sub but it made no difference. I tried different RCA cables but no difference either. Yesterday I took the sub to a home theater store to have it tested and it worked fine. The only difference is that they tested it with a phone going into the two RCA inputs on the sub while I just use the left RCA input for LFE as usual. Today I am going to buy a new RCA cable to truly eliminate the cable as the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to set up speaker configuration in the AVR as well? I understood that the AVR setting would not matter when running analog.
Check in at the dedicated forum for that AVR. Odds are fair that it does not provide the required 10db boost for the sub channel on the multichannel analog inputs. Also, when the Oppo is mixing audio from the main channels to the sub channel it will attenuate the sub channel 15 db instead of the usual 10db. All this is to avoid clipping the sub channel.

So, you need to find a way to boost the sub channel in the AVR by 15db. Cranking up the sub's own gain knob might be the best option. That assumes you don't use any other inputs to the AVR besides the Oppo.

If you boost the level of the sub channel 15db in the Oppo itself, clipping will almost certainly result.
Your shortest route to joy might be a new HDMI AVR.
johnnywyoming likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #25821 of 25885 Old 12-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Member
 
johnnywyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Check in at the dedicated forum for that AVR. Odds are fair that it does not provide the required 10db boost for the sub channel on the multichannel analog inputs. Also, when the Oppo is mixing audio from the main channels to the sub channel it will attenuate the sub channel 15 db instead of the usual 10db. All this is to avoid clipping the sub channel.

So, you need to find a way to boost the sub channel in the AVR by 15db. Cranking up the sub's own gain knob might be the best option. That assumes you don't use any other inputs to the AVR besides the Oppo.

If you boost the level of the sub channel 15db in the Oppo itself, clipping will almost certainly result.
Your shortest route to joy might be a new HDMI AVR.
Will check on the 520 thread. I have an e-mail into HK asking if it boosts the sub or not. If not the cable (and the sub tests fine) then it must be a configuration problem as it worked before I tried to re-calibrate the audio... more tinkering to do!

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
johnnywyoming is offline  
post #25822 of 25885 Old 12-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Member
 
johnnywyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you rdgrimes for your advice and time. In the end it turned out to be a bad cable. What are the chances of two out of the three I tried being bad! Plugged in the new cable and the sub fired up.

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
johnnywyoming is offline  
post #25823 of 25885 Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,920
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywyoming View Post
Thank you rdgrimes for your advice and time. In the end it turned out to be a bad cable. What are the chances of two out of the three I tried being bad! Plugged in the new cable and the sub fired up.
Great. But you still need a new AVR.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #25824 of 25885 Old 12-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo suddenly weird

Can someone help me with some ideas why my Opponent 103D suddenly doesn't want to play MKCV files from an external SSD drive? I have never had a problem with these before, now I am getting a message that the player "doesn't support this resolution". The files say 2160p. Have I found something that the Oppo won't swallow? Would a 203 process these? Thanks in advance.
JeffJersey is offline  
post #25825 of 25885 Old 12-16-2019, 04:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,405
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJersey View Post
Can someone help me with some ideas why my Opponent 103D suddenly doesn't want to play MKCV files from an external SSD drive? I have never had a problem with these before, now I am getting a message that the player "doesn't support this resolution". The files say 2160p. Have I found something that the Oppo won't swallow? Would a 203 process these? Thanks in advance.
The BDP-103 can't play 4K content. Yes, a UDP-203 would most likely play those files, assuming there aren't other issues with them.
KC-Technerd likes this.
gsr is offline  
post #25826 of 25885 Old 12-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The BDP-103 can't play 4K content. Yes, a UDP-203 would most likely play those files, assuming there aren't other issues with them.
That's what I was suspecting...I am still watching video on my lovely 10+ year old Panasonic plasma, so no 4K TV for me until this beauty gives up the ghost. Thanks for your help.
JeffJersey is offline  
post #25827 of 25885 Old 12-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Eddie E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey Shore
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Oppo 103, No disk

This past month I decided to finally go 4K . I purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray Player, Sony X950G 4k TV and Denon AVR-X3500HE3 receiver. I had planned to keep my Oppo for the disk formats that I can't play on the Panasonic. I have owned my Oppo for over 7 years and it never gave me a bit of trouble. Sure enough, after buying all that new stuff the Oppo decided to act up. When I put a disk in, it doesn't matter what kind, I get a "no disk" error message. I used one of those disk cleaners, but I don't think it is even spinning. The USB port and all of the apps work fine. It's only the disk drive that is non-functional. I have a few SACD and DVD-Audio disk that I can't play. I don't know if it would be worth having the Oppo repaired to be able to play them. I started to buy a Sony that plays those formats, but on the Sony you have to manually turn on DV when you think or know you are watching DV. Anything else is above my budget. Maybe I'll just sell the Oppo as is and move on. Any suggestions? Thanks
Eddie E is offline  
post #25828 of 25885 Old 12-18-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie E View Post
This past month I decided to finally go 4K . I purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray Player, Sony X950G 4k TV and Denon AVR-X3500HE3 receiver. I had planned to keep my Oppo for the disk formats that I can't play on the Panasonic. I have owned my Oppo for over 7 years and it never gave me a bit of trouble. Sure enough, after buying all that new stuff the Oppo decided to act up. When I put a disk in, it doesn't matter what kind, I get a "no disk" error message. I used one of those disk cleaners, but I don't think it is even spinning. The USB port and all of the apps work fine. It's only the disk drive that is non-functional. I have a few SACD and DVD-Audio disk that I can't play. I don't know if it would be worth having the Oppo repaired to be able to play them. I started to buy a Sony that plays those formats, but on the Sony you have to manually turn on DV when you think or know you are watching DV. Anything else is above my budget. Maybe I'll just sell the Oppo as is and move on. Any suggestions? Thanks
I would consider getting it repaired, even if you want to resell.
Eddie E likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #25829 of 25885 Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,920
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie E View Post
This past month I decided to finally go 4K . I purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray Player, Sony X950G 4k TV and Denon AVR-X3500HE3 receiver. I had planned to keep my Oppo for the disk formats that I can't play on the Panasonic. I have owned my Oppo for over 7 years and it never gave me a bit of trouble. Sure enough, after buying all that new stuff the Oppo decided to act up. When I put a disk in, it doesn't matter what kind, I get a "no disk" error message. I used one of those disk cleaners, but I don't think it is even spinning. The USB port and all of the apps work fine. It's only the disk drive that is non-functional. I have a few SACD and DVD-Audio disk that I can't play. I don't know if it would be worth having the Oppo repaired to be able to play them. I started to buy a Sony that plays those formats, but on the Sony you have to manually turn on DV when you think or know you are watching DV. Anything else is above my budget. Maybe I'll just sell the Oppo as is and move on. Any suggestions? Thanks
Cleaning the lasers by hand would be my first step. But it sounds like it needs to go to the hospital. https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx?CatID=1
Eddie E likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #25830 of 25885 Old 12-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Eddie E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey Shore
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
I would consider getting it repaired, even if you want to resell.
Great suggestion. I just used the link provided by rdgrimes for repair request. If it's reasonable I'll have it fixed.
Mike_WI likes this.
Eddie E is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off