Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 865 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10258Likes

post #25921 of 25940 Old 04-13-2020, 01:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2118 Post(s)
Liked: 2663
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Lets be precise here, folks. The 103 will upscale any 1080p video read from inserted Blu-rays to 4K. The upscaler does not process video inputted via HDMI.
If we're going to be precise, let's not mislead folks... It's NOT limited to only upscaling 1080p from inserted discs. It should upscale any supported input video (disc, streamed media, etc) to 4K when the output resolution is set to 4K. I have never tested it myself, but I don't recall hearing about any limitations on upscaling content from the HDMI inputs either.

Where's BobP???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25922 of 25940 Old 04-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just re read the manual for my 103, specifically HDMI CEC - and whether I could use the Fire TV Cube Gen2 with it :-)

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/revie...tv-cube-review

before I buy it for my mum, can anyone confirm that it works OK using it on a table in front of the sofa, but the HDMI cable will need to be about 12 feet long, to connect into the back of our 103

Manual says
=======================
HDMI CEC: Allows you to set the HDMI Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) mode.
CEC is anoptional HDMI feature that enables convenient remote control and automatic setup of consumerelectronics over the HDMI connection. The remote control function allows you to use a single remote handset to operate multiple devices connected via HDMI.

For example, you may use the TV remote to control playback of the Blu-ray Disc player. The automatic setup function can automatically turn onthe TV and change to the proper input when you start playing a disc in the Blu-ray Disc player.

It can also turn off the player automatically when you turn off the TV. The implementation and compatibilityof this feature varies by device manufacturer. Each may only implement part of the features or add their own proprietary functions. The manufacturer-specific implementation of the HDMI CEC function is often given a proprietary name of "...Link" or "...Sync".

The BDP-103 provides three HDMI CEC function modes for each of its HDMI outputs:

HDMI 1 – HDMI CEC is enabled on HDMI 1 output. Use this mode if your other devices arecompatible with the player.
HDMI 1 (Limited) – HDMI CEC is enabled on HDMI 1 output, but the BDP-103 will only respond to playback control commands. It will not respond or issue power on/off and input selection commands. Use this mode if you do not want the automatic setup function to turn on/off your devices.

HDMI 2 – HDMI CEC is enabled on HDMI 2 output (similar to HDMI 1)
HDMI 2 (Limited) – HDMI CEC is enabled on HDMI 2 output, but the BDP-103 will only respond to playback control commands.

Off (default) – HDMI CEC feature is turned off on both HDMI output terminals. The player will not respond to HDMI CEC commands from other devices, nor will it setup other devices automatically
==============================
post #25923 of 25940 Old 04-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 5910 Post(s)
Liked: 8463
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If we're going to be precise, let's not mislead folks... It's NOT limited to only upscaling 1080p from inserted discs. It should upscale any supported input video (disc, streamed media, etc) to 4K when the output resolution is set to 4K. I have never tested it myself, but I don't recall hearing about any limitations on upscaling content from the HDMI inputs either.

Where's BobP???
Any content the player can play can be upscaled to 4K output, regardless of the way you play that content.

There are 2 Gotchas here:

First, you may have to disable 4K HDR as an allowed input format on your TV to get the HDMI handshake to work. Of course the player does not put out 4K as HDR so you don’t need this, but enabling those formats in the TV complicates the handshake, likely resulting in a failed handshake. How you do this depends on the TV. For example, LG TVs call this the “Deep Color” setting and it is enabled or disabled per HDMI Input socket in the General settings.

Second, the player will not output 4K at 60Hz. So if you are playing content that would normally go out as 60Hz, you will get 1080P/60 Hz output. 4K/30 Hz will usually work.

That said, there’s likely no good reason to have the player do the upscaling to 4K. Send 1080p or 1080i to the TV and let the TV do it unless you KNOW your TV screws this up.

NOTE: The player can not play any content at all which is ALREADY 4K. Not even still pictures.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25924 of 25940 Old 04-14-2020, 04:55 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2118 Post(s)
Liked: 2663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Any content the player can play can be upscaled to 4K output, regardless of the way you play that content.

There are 2 Gotchas here:

First, you may have to disable 4K HDR as an allowed input format on your TV to get the HDMI handshake to work. Of course the player does not put out 4K as HDR so you don’t need this, but enabling those formats in the TV complicates the handshake, likely resulting in a failed handshake. How you do this depends on the TV. For example, LG TVs call this the “Deep Color” setting and it is enabled or disabled per HDMI Input socket in the General settings.

Second, the player will not output 4K at 60Hz. So if you are playing content that would normally go out as 60Hz, you will get 1080P/60 Hz output. 4K/30 Hz will usually work.
Thanks Bob - that's what I thought I remembered.

Quote:
That said, there’s likely no good reason to have the player do the upscaling to 4K. Send 1080p or 1080i to the TV and let the TV do it unless you KNOW your TV screws this up.
Agreed - the upscaling in the BDP-10x players is pretty old at this point, so most recent TV's will probably do it at least as well.
post #25925 of 25940 Old 04-22-2020, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
help please

I just picked up an Oppo 103. I have a Sony ubpX700 and thought that if I just take out the HDMI cable from the sony and put it into the Oppo HDMI out it would work. When I did that. I have no audio and my screen seems to be very purple. I tried a movie and still had a purple haze over the screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The movie didnt have any volume either. Thank you
post #25926 of 25940 Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Hi @Ken Cornell ,

Please refer to the following post and replies: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post59482724

Cheers
Ken Cornell likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #25927 of 25940 Old 04-22-2020, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cornell View Post
I just picked up an Oppo 103. I have a Sony ubpX700 and thought that if I just take out the HDMI cable from the sony and put it into the Oppo HDMI out it would work. When I did that. I have no audio and my screen seems to be very purple. I tried a movie and still had a purple haze over the screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The movie didnt have any volume either. Thank you
Might be that you need to do a factory reset, so that you can start from scratch.

And that might be problematic because of some previous settings installed by the previous owner, if he/she didn't reset to factory before delivering th 103 to you. Specifically there might be a video output resolution issue, that is incompatible with your Sony.

Try this (it may or may not help):

When the player is on, insert a standard Blu-ray disc into the machine, and once it appears as though the machine is playing it (even if you don’t have video output) take the OPPO remote and press the Resolution button (bottom left corner) until you see the word DIRECT appear on the front panel display of the 103. This will force 1080p/24 output, and if you get video output at that point, you can go into the Setup Menu and reset the player to factory defaults under Device Setup to see if you can get it working properly again.
post #25928 of 25940 Old 04-22-2020, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm noticing some glitchiness with the picture when I have BOTH HDMI outs connected and am viewing the HDMI in (a Roku Ultra).

Here's my set up: Roku ultra --> back HDMI of Oppo . Oppo --->Marantz 7701 preamp for 2 inputs (one I use as a way to play music with the Roku on TV). I have the Roku going through the Oppo to get Darbee. From the marantz it goes to a sony projector. When I first turn this on the picture doesn't stay and theres snow a disconnect and reconnect. If I unplug and replug the HDMI for the 2ndary outpt of the Oppo everything works.

Why does this happen? I've tried it with different HDMI cables and with different sources connected to the HDMI in of the oppo.
post #25929 of 25940 Old 04-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Might be that you need to do a factory reset, so that you can start from scratch.

And that might be problematic because of some previous settings installed by the previous owner, if he/she didn't reset to factory before delivering th 103 to you. Specifically there might be a video output resolution issue, that is incompatible with your Sony.

Try this (it may or may not help):

When the player is on, insert a standard Blu-ray disc into the machine, and once it appears as though the machine is playing it (even if you don’t have video output) take the OPPO remote and press the Resolution button (bottom left corner) until you see the word DIRECT appear on the front panel display of the 103. This will force 1080p/24 output, and if you get video output at that point, you can go into the Setup Menu and reset the player to factory defaults under Device Setup to see if you can get it working properly again.
Was able to do a factory reset. Did get the purple haze to go away with the set up menu. Y R Y video. I forget the exact lettering. But thank you to you both. Now Im still not getting any audio coming out. The sony is not part of the equation. Im going oppo to my onkyo 656 rec to the TV. Thank you No audio only
post #25930 of 25940 Old 04-25-2020, 10:39 AM

One other thing I notice is that when I do go to play a cd. On the top left corner of the screen I see a red circle with a line through it. Not sure why I cant get the audio. Has to be a setting I am missing. Thanks you.
post #25931 of 25940 Old 04-26-2020, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
One other thing I notice is that when I do go to play a cd. On the top left corner of the screen I see a red circle with a line through it. Not sure why I cant get the audio. Has to be a setting I am missing. Thanks you.
Are you saying that the red circle with a line through it in the upper-left corner of the screen is simply on, all the time, when you have a CD inserted? Or only when you push a button on the remote (and if so, which button do you push that makes that circle/line appear)?

I run my 103 through my Yamaha AVR, with an HDMI connection used for video. I happen to have a 2-channel stereo speaker system (not high-end, but perfectly fine) and I prefer to have multi-channel audio (from discs or streaming) down-mixed to stereo in the 103 and then fed through my DBX 2-channel EQ for tone control, and then fed to the Yamaha AVR via 2-channel stereo analog input AUDIO1 for 2-channel stereo output to the speakers. So my "speaker configuration" in the 103 is to down-mix to 2-channel stereo, and then I feed the L/R analog preamp outputs of the 103 to the L/R analog inputs of my DBX EQ, etc.

Most importantly, the Yamaha AVR "input setup" for that HDMI input being received from the HDMI output of my 103 (for video only) is set to pick up its audio from that AUDIO1 L/R analog input of the AVR. That's the complete audio path, starting from the 103 going analog into the DBX EQ and then analog into the AVR. Of course I have to configure "input setup" for HDMI1 to indicate that audio is not also coming in via HDMI1 but instead is coming from the analog AUDIO1 input.

Although I don't do it, in theory I could actually feed the 2-channel audio from 2-channel CD source from the 103 through the same HDMI output that carries video (for other audio-video sources) and into the AVR, since it's only 2-channel audio and doesn't need any down-mixing to stereo by the 103 as multi-channel audio source would need to be. So in theory, I could change the AVR setup to specify HDMI1 for audio input (instead of AUDIO1), and this would also produce proper sound, if only for 2-channel audio CD source. However I would lose the ability to get tone control via my DBX EQ, since that is an analog device. Preferring to have tone control functionality for any source from the 103 (audio-video or just audio) I have opted for this audio via analog path rather than audio via HDMI.

Now when I'm playing a CD using this setup, everything works fine. I have sound. I can produce that "red circle with a line through it" in the upper-left corner if I push say the AUDIO button on the remote. That symbol indicates a non-functioning or inappropriate button, for whatever you're trying to do at the time. It's just not a button whose functionality is supported at the moment you press it (although it might be relevant in some other situation). It's not the "mute" symbol. It's the "inappropriate button pushed" symbol.

So again I ask, is that symbol just always on? Or only when you push some button on the remote, e.g. PLAY, or some other button?

Are you sure your AVR is properly configured for its audio input? Again, if you have HDMI going from 103 to AVR for video, you can also deliver audio from 103 to AVR on that same HDMI cable. Or, you can use an analog path instead if you have some reason to (as I do). But either way, the AVR must be configured to have its audio setup configured correctly corresponding to that HDMI video input. You're sure you've got that right? Do you have sound from 103 via your AVR for multi-channel BDMV or DVD discs, or streaming? Are you only not getting sound for audio CD?

Have you made any progress working on this yourself?
Ken Cornell likes this.

Last edited by DSperber; 04-26-2020 at 03:05 PM.
post #25932 of 25940 Old 04-27-2020, 02:49 PM

The red arrow on the top seems to be only if I hit the wrong button. I still get no audio. from cd or dvd or usb via usb front. I have hdmi one into dvd on the receiver. If I bypass rec and plug hdmi into the tv diredtly from the oppo I still have no sound. Ive done a factory reset no help and shut everything down and put back on with oppo delayed and still nothing. Would a firmware update help. Or would I lose some functions of the SACD player. Thank you
post #25933 of 25940 Old 04-27-2020, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I still get no audio. from cd or dvd or usb via usb front. I have hdmi one into dvd on the receiver. If I bypass rec and plug hdmi into the tv diredtly from the oppo I still have no sound.
You didn't mention it explicitly but you describe using only one HDMI cable going from the 103 to either your AVR or directly to your TV. You don't also have a second HDMI cable in use for HDMI2 output, do you?

The factory default setup when both HDMI1 and HDMI2 outputs are in use is "split A/V (recommended)". This specifically uses HDMI1 output as a DEDICATED VIDEO-ONLY OUTPUT PORT, and HDMI2 output as the dedicated audio-only output port. In theory this setting ensures best possible picture quality and highest possible audio resolution (according to the manual). However if you are only using HDMI1 output (and HDMI2 is either not connected or is connected to an external audio system that is not powered on at the moment) then both audio and video are sent out on this one cable attached to HDMI1.

Since you have no sound on that HDMI1 cable, either feeding the DVD HDMI input on your AVR or even feeding your TV directly (which presumably has speakers), it's almost as if the 103 is behaving as if it were in "split A/V" mode but somehow mistakenly believes that HDMI2 is in use, when it is not really. That seems like the only way zero audio could be emitted via HDMI1 out, if it were operating intentionally sending video-only out HDMI1. This is certainly not correct (and would suggest a hardware malfunction needing repair by Oppo), but would explain your symptom.

Just for the sake of experimenting, how about changing the Video Setup -> Dual HDMI Output setting from "Split A/V" (which it almost certainly currently is, per the factory reset) to "Dual Display". This second choice option sends both digital audio and digital video signals out to both HDMI1 and HDMI2 outputs simultaneously. It's not normally recommended unless you have two TV's you want to support at the same time. This could result in down-mixing multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo, which might not be crucial if you're using the speakers in a TV but would not be appropriate if you really wanted to support multi-channel sound through your AVR.

Anyway, it's just to see if it makes a difference for now. CD audio is only 2-channels anyway, but we really want to see if you can get ANY SOUND from ANY SOURCE, out of either HDMI1 or HDMI2. Note that with "Dual Display" both HDMI1 and HDMI2 are now identical, so you can try both of them (going to your AVR and also to your TV, just to try everyhing to see if it makes a difference). In this mode HDMI1 and HDMI2 should both carry the very same audio+video to the connected AVR or TV.

Let's see what you discover.
Ken Cornell likes this.
post #25934 of 25940 Old 04-28-2020, 01:12 PM

One HDMI cable set to oppo to my onkyo dvd port. I tried the dual switch and didnt work. One thing I tried. I picked up a pair of red and white rca cables and plugged them into the back of the oppo and straight to the tv and I did finally get sound. I also had sound coming out of the receiver. But it didnt sound very good. Unplugged and tried just the hdmi cables three diff ones in fact and nothing. So it is producing sound. Just not sure why I cant get it with hdmi thru my rec. Thank you very much for all the help im receiving here. Greatly appreciated.. Going to do a firmware update as that was suggested by Oppo. If I can find it for usb.
post #25935 of 25940 Old 04-28-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
One HDMI cable set to oppo to my onkyo dvd port. I tried the dual switch and didnt work. One thing I tried. I picked up a pair of red and white rca cables and plugged them into the back of the oppo and straight to the tv and I did finally get sound. I also had sound coming out of the receiver. But it didnt sound very good. Unplugged and tried just the hdmi cables three diff ones in fact and nothing. So it is producing sound. Just not sure why I cant get it with hdmi thru my rec. Thank you very much for all the help im receiving here. Greatly appreciated.. Going to do a firmware update as that was suggested by Oppo. If I can find it for usb.
No question a firmware update would be appropriate, if your 103 is back-level in that regard.

One more thought, for you to check. Go into Settings, Audio Format Setup -> HDMI Audio. Normally this could be set to "Auto" which is the factory default, letting the 103 figure out what output format to send out over HDMI. Or, you can also force either (a) LPCM, to let the 103 decode all multi-channel sound and send it out as already decoded discrete multi-channel PCM, aka LPCM, or (b) BITSTREAM, to have the 103 just pass on the still-encoded multi-channel sound to feed to a downstream external audio processor/system via HDMI, for handling digital audio external to the 103. There is actually one more optional setting: OFF!! This suppresses digital audio output via HDMI and is actually suggested as the recommended setting if you are in fact using the rear analog 5.1/7.1 discrete multi-channel preamp outputs to feed an external audio system using analog connections. This approach uses the 103's decoder to first decode the multi-channel source to discrete individual digital channels (i.e. LPCM), and then to use the 103's built-in DAC for each discrete channel to produce each of the eight analog preamp outputs.

So, although it seems hard to imagine, just check this to be sure it is not set at OFF (which would, of course, explain why you're not getting any digital audio output via HDMI).

Also, since it can't hurt, if it is at AUTO you could try forcing LPCM as well as BITSTREAM, just to see if that gets any sound to your TV or AVR.

As far as using analog L/R red/white RCA cables, if you were playing 2-channel stereo audio (e.g. from an audio CD) that should have sounded fine going into either your TV or through your AVR.

But if you were experimenting with multi-channel source, then the analog preamp outputs on the back of the 103 correspond to the decoded discrete channels. So L/R RCA outputs would only have picked up the L/R channels of the multi-channel original sound. Wouldn't have sounded great, hearing just L/R from a 7.1 or 5.1 source.

If you do want to play multi-channel sound via just the 2-channel L/R analog outputs on the back, you need to go into Setup, Audio Processing -> Speaker configuration. And you then need to configure down mix mode to "STEREO". This will then produce a very good sounding 2-channel result (mixed from the original 5.1 or 7.1) via L/R red/white cables, feeding either TV or AVR. The left front/side/rear channels all get fed to L, and the right front/side/rear channels all get fed to R, and CENTER channel gets fed to both L and R (as does sub-woofer).

Last edited by DSperber; 04-28-2020 at 01:45 PM.
post #25936 of 25940 Old 04-28-2020, 01:43 PM

so a firmware update and a factory reset got it to work right away with just the hdmi cable. And purple screen was gone to. I knew how to adj that. But thank you all. Thank you DS for all the help.
jskang likes this.
post #25937 of 25940 Old 04-29-2020, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Hi guys
I have an oppo bdp103d and I have some TrueHD 4K Files.

From what I have been reading, the 103 only “upscales” 1080p to 4K.

However, does it play native 4K files if I use DLNA from my Synology NAS thru the network ?
post #25938 of 25940 Old 04-29-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
so a firmware update and a factory reset got it to work right away with just the hdmi cable. And purple screen was gone to. I knew how to adj that. But thank you all. Thank you DS for all the help.
Excellent news.

Enjoy your new 103.
post #25939 of 25940 Old 04-29-2020, 09:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked: 4726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlim88 View Post
However, does it play native 4K files if I use DLNA from my Synology NAS thru the network ?
No. The player has no 4k input at all.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #25940 of 25940 Old Yesterday, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
No. Don't try to convert it to /24 in your TV. The problem you are seeing is not /50 vs /24. Rather it is that the app provided by Netflix is not doing /60 to /50 correctly for US derived content.

If your TV can accept /60, set NTSC and do not try to convert that to /24.

The issue here is Netflix catalog vs app smarts.
--Bob
Hi Bob, hope you are doing fine.
Do you happen to know if this has been fixed in the meantime on the Oppo BDP-103 ?
I am still using the netflix app on my Oppo BDP-103 and I noticed recently when watching "Better Call Saul" on Netflix that 50Hz introduced judder.
So after 5 years, this problem still remains the same?

Only way to go around this is by setting the Oppo to "NTSC" manually in the settings instead of "Multi". That way "Better Call Saul" is displayed at 60Hz on my TV and the judder seems to be better.

Thanks for your reply!

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page