Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 372 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1910Likes

post #11131 of 14414 Old 06-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The main thing you will lose is Apple AirPlay -- sending content to your AppleTV from, e.g., a Mac. You also won't be able to access any iTunes purchased content directly on the OPPO like you can on your AppleTV.

Apple is big enough to get individualized apps from providers like Netflix, so their app is "different", but functionally the same.

There are also many more apps available for Apple TV than there are native apps on the OPPO. A number of folks use a ROKU for extra apps, either separately or feeding it through the OPPO. Of course if you are going to pay money for another box you could just get another AppleTV instead.

If all you are using the AppleTV for is Netflix, then you should be fine with the native Netflix app on the OPPO.
--Bob
Thanks Bob, good info!

We're using the Apple TV 99% of the time for Netflix (nothing else), not Airplay, or iTunes content. Thus, it sounds like the 105 and Netflix will be just fine!

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 14414 Old 06-22-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Screen View Post
Thanks Bob, good info!

We're using the Apple TV 99% of the time for Netflix (nothing else), not Airplay, or iTunes content. Thus, it sounds like the 105 and Netflix will be just fine!

-Mike
Yep, if your only requirement is Netflix, then then an Oppo 103/103D/105/105D will work just fine.
Realize also, that unless you are going to take advantage of the dedicated extra pair of analog outputs, asynchronous usb/digital audio inputs, and the headphone amp, those are the main reasons for getting the 105 over top of the 103.
then buying a 103 or 103D would save you quite a bit of scratch if you don't need those features.
The players with a "D" in the model name will feature the Darbee enhancement too, and the Darbee player cost $100 more,
and most people agree it's worth the cost, but also depends on your setup.

PS.
You also may want to contact Oppo via phone or email and ask about repairing the BDP-83 if you think you would like to keep it running.
Their repair charges are usually very reasonable.
post #11133 of 14414 Old 06-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Yep, if your only requirement is Netflix, then then an Oppo 103/103D/105/105D will work just fine.
Realize also, that unless you are going to take advantage of the dedicated extra pair of analog outputs, asynchronous usb/digital audio inputs, and the headphone amp, those are the main reasons for getting the 105 over top of the 103.
then buying a 103 or 103D would save you quite a bit of scratch if you don't need those features.
The players with a "D" in the model name will feature the Darbee enhancement too, and the Darbee player cost $100 more,
and most people agree it's worth the cost, but also depends on your setup.

PS.
You also may want to contact Oppo via phone or email and ask about repairing the BDP-83 if you think you would like to keep it running.
Their repair charges are usually very reasonable.
Yes, I believe that I will use the extra analog outs and because I have been using Computer Audio (via a USB DAC) in the audio room since 2005, I thought that I might like to also do so in the home theater room via the upgraded 105's DAC's and Async USB input, along with my Marantz AV-8801. I was wondering however, how much if at all, the 105's DAC's outshined the AV-8801's?

Having just started reading about the Darbee enhancement, I really don't know much about it yet. The review that I read earlier this evening while researching the 103/105 differences, was pretty much against it, because it changed the original lighting intent of the movie. However, they mentioned that it might be good for gaming; however, at least at this time, the Oppo won't be used for gaming.

While I could be considered an audiophile having a separate 2-channel audio room, a true videophile I'm not. Thus, maintaining the artistic inclination of the movie is not something that I'm overly interested in. I am however interested in a more immersive movie experience. If the belief among those here is that Darbee enhances the movie experience, then I probably should consider the "D" version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11134 of 14414 Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Screen View Post
Yes, I believe that I will use the extra analog outs and because I have been using Computer Audio (via a USB DAC) in the audio room since 2005, I thought that I might like to also do so in the home theater room via the upgraded 105's DAC's and Async USB input, along with my Marantz AV-8801. I was wondering however, how much if at all, the 105's DAC's outshined the AV-8801's?

Having just started reading about the Darbee enhancement, I really don't know much about it yet. The review that I read earlier this evening while researching the 103/105 differences, was pretty much against it, because it changed the original lighting intent of the movie. However, they mentioned that it might be good for gaming; however, at least at this time, the Oppo won't be used for gaming.

While I could be considered an audiophile having a separate 2-channel audio room, a true videophile I'm not. Thus, maintaining the artistic inclination of the movie is not something that I'm overly interested in. I am however interested in a more immersive movie experience. If the belief among those here is that Darbee enhances the movie experience, then I probably should consider the "D" version.
I would say Darbee definitely enhances the movie experience in a positive way, especially on top quality 1080p video.
Not sure what review you read, but that doesn't sound like what most people think about Darbee.
What is praised most about it, is that when it is used in a casual way, it does not muck up the other in the tv or cause negative artifacts that other
picture "enhancements" usually do, while still adding a decent amount of sharpening/contrast enhancement.
If you are watching on a smaller display, like say under 50-60 inches, then the Darbee will be more subtle than when watching on a bigger projection type system.
Don't trust just one review or my opinion alone though, there is a dedicated thread here on AVS for Darbee and if you want more opinions I would suggest reading and asking more questions there.

There are also several other differences between the 105 and 105D models.
Here's the list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants
How is the BDP-105D different from the BDP-105?... the following list explains it.

The BDP-105D subtracts:

~the Marvell Qdeo video processor

...and adds:

~the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor.
(the VRS chip allows for a slightly better picture presentation do to some ever so slight undefeatable DNR in the QDEO chip.)

~the Darbee Visual Presence video processor.

~updated USB DAC interface to support DSD64 and DSD128
(the 105D can not play media files in DSD 128 -- i.e., on a directly attached USB hard drive or via the house network.
the new capability is limited to the Asynchronous USB Input only!)

~a newer firmware update for the USB DAC, can also allow acceptance of stereo LPCM at rates up to 384KHz 24-bit.
Rates above 192KHz are only available for output on the Analog outputs. (192KHz limit on the 105.)

~the ability to send DSD over HDMI on the HDMI-1 output.
(this was only possible on the HDMI-2 output of the BDP-105)

...and replaces:

~the remote with be a slightly new version with a Darbee button.
(otherwise the remote is identical to the BDP-105/103)

All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 06-22-2014 at 07:58 PM.
post #11135 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
So, I don't know if this is new or just new to me. Last night I was tinkering with a new iPad mini, and I fired up the netflix app on it. I noticed a squarish button I'd never seen before and when I tapped it, it gave me the option to play my netflix on my iPad OR on my 105D! I looked up and indeed, the netflix menu was up on my main screen, playing through my 105D. The great thing about this was that I could surf through content menus on my mini, while the currently selected movie was playing on the OPPO. Woohoo! Multitasking across devices!

Omar
RichB likes this.
post #11136 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
^ Yes this is a new Netflix feature. The YouTube app for iOS has had a similar function for some time now. Note that the content is streaming to the player (i.e. not THROUGH the iPad). The iPad is just controlling the playback.
--Bob
RichB likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #11137 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
^^ If you have a smart tv (with its own embedded Netflix app), you can stream movies to your tv, bypassing the Oppo player altogether.
post #11138 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Where's the fun in that?
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #11139 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Oppo BDP-105 had a problem where the default setting for "L/F" and "Down-Mixed Stereo" would go back to "L/F" even if the device indicated that it was on "Down-Mixed". This usually happened after you played a DVD. Does anyone know if this problem was fixed by any of the software packages yet. I did not specifically read in any of them that it had but REALLY want to see that fixed! I appreciate any info. Thanks!
post #11140 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerman1226 View Post
The Oppo BDP-105 had a problem where the default setting for "L/F" and "Down-Mixed Stereo" would go back to "L/F" even if the device indicated that it was on "Down-Mixed". This usually happened after you played a DVD. Does anyone know if this problem was fixed by any of the software packages yet. I did not specifically read in any of them that it had but REALLY want to see that fixed! I appreciate any info. Thanks!
Yes, that was fixed quite some time ago: Released as Official firmware 67-1204 on December 5, 2013.

The firmware notes are collected in the first post of the 103 Owner's Thread. See item 12 for the Public Beta firmware preceding that Official release.
--Bob

post #11141 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^^ If you have a smart tv (with its own embedded Netflix app), you can stream movies to your tv, bypassing the Oppo player altogether.
I don't have a smart tv. I have a projector that's dumb but beautiful :-)

Omar
post #11142 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ive tried now to rise the sound level of the oppo to 100% and it sounds that much better than before! The integrated oppo preamp is some kind of mess that kills the sound! If i use the analog preamp of my jadis instead its a huge improvemt in stereo soundquality!

Anyone noticed the same?

Btw: the german Tuning scene also noticed this and improved the oppo to a goppo, by gert volk. Maybe ill give this one a try...
post #11143 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was fixed quite some time ago: Released as Official firmware 67-1204 on December 5, 2013.

The firmware notes are collected in the first post of the 103 Owner's Thread. See item 12 for the Public Beta firmware preceding that Official release.
--Bob
Are you referring to either of these reported upgrades from the 12/5/2013 firmware notes:

14. Resolved an incorrect audio Downmix issue with the Stereo audio outputs (BDP-105 only). Customers reported that after setting "Stereo Signal" to "Front Left/Right", they could hear surround channel audio from the dedicated Stereo audio outputs. This issue has been resolved.

OR

21.Resolved a channel mapping error in the DSD file playback, which only happened on BDP-105 players. Customers reported that if they set the "Stereo Signal" to "Front Left/Right", switched off the player then switched it on again, and played 2-channel DSD files from external storage, the Front Left channel sound could also be heard from the Surround Right output. This issue has been resolved in the release.

This is not the same as the issue I was having for desired playback with the "Down-Mixed" stereo setting for 2-channel. Was it fixed but just not mentioned? It takes some scrutiny to determine if it is doing it or not so I was just waiting to hear that it was fixed instead. Can anyone confirm?
post #11144 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I don't know of any outstanding bugs like you describe related to the operation of the Stereo Signal setting.

There is an issue where the Speaker Distance settings for LF/RF are being applied to the Dedicated Stereo L/R outputs despite DOWN-MIXED STEREO being set, but that's not what you are describing.

I think the odds are good the problem you spotted was fixed in that firmware.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-23-2014 at 12:57 PM.
post #11145 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
^ I don't know of any outstanding bugs like you describe related to the operation of the Stereo Signal setting.

There is an issue where the Speaker Distance settings for LF/RF are being applied to the Dedicated Stereo L/R outputs despite DOWN-MIXED STEREO being set, but that's not what you are describing.

I think the odds are good the problem you spotted was fixed in that firmware.
--Bob
Sigh, sounds like I am out of the frying pan and into the pot! LOL. Have you guys figured out a way to make sure it's not doing that? I have been toggling betwen L/F and Down Mixed for years now to override any setting problem with the L/F and Down Mixed settings. Any similar temp fix for this more advanced issue?
post #11146 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ No. Keep in mind that the absolute distances are irrelevant. All that matters is the distance DIFFERENCE. If LF/RF are set as equidistant, then there will be no effect on the Dedicated L/R with DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

As for your other issue, as far as I am aware nobody has reported any further need to toggle between FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and DOWN-MIXED STEREO since that December firmware.
--Bob

post #11147 of 14414 Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
^ No. Keep in mind that the absolute distances are irrelevant. All that matters is the distance DIFFERENCE. If LF/RF are set as equidistant, then there will be no effect on the Dedicated L/R with DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

As for your other issue, as far as I am aware nobody has reported any further need to toggle between FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and DOWN-MIXED STEREO since that December firmware.
--Bob
Thanks again Bob. "That's the best news that I ever heard"!
post #11148 of 14414 Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
^ Yes this is a new Netflix feature. The YouTube app for iOS has had a similar function for some time now. Note that the content is streaming to the player (i.e. not THROUGH the iPad). The iPad is just controlling the playback.
--Bob
Just tested this out. Very cool. An update I will take advantage of!

Esoteric K-03X. McIntosh MX122. McIntosh MC205. McIntosh C2500. Revel Studio 2 (Mains). Twin f113v2 subs. Revel Voice 2 (Center). Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-203. Apple TV 4K. "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Sony XBR75X900F. Clare Controls Automation.
My current SACD list
post #11149 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hello.

Some questions about the ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC.

If you use the Analog or RCA Left and Right connection (STEREO AUDIO OUT) on the back of the 105, are you using the
ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC? Please see the attached picture so you see what I talking about.

Last question and I am not sure how to say this correctly. If this player got the
ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC but my Denon 4810 receiver got a Burr-Brown DAC, which DAC am I using when playing 2 channel music using the
Analog or RCA Left and Right connection (STEREO AUDIO OUT) on the back of the 105?

So if the Denon 4810 already got the
Burr-Brown DAC, would the ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC in the 105 be useless? Unless you use the 105 directly with an amplifier, it will be a benefit. But if you use the 105 with a receiver, the
ESS SABRE32 DAC is useless right?

What if I turn ON the Pure Direct mode with the Denon 4810, would I now be using the
ESS SABRE32 DAC from the 105?

You guys know what I am trying to say? For those of you who are using the 105 with a receiver, how are you using it with the
Analog or RCA Left and Right connection (STEREO AUDIO OUT) on the back of the 105?

Thanks for any advice!
post #11150 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 AM

^ Yes the rear stereo output of the 105 as pictured is what uses SABRE32 DAC in the player.
Whatever digital source you use from the player, the player will convert that to analog and out put the audio over the analog outputs.
As you mentioned, some do then route that audio directly to power amps for supreme reference audio.
You can of course also route it through and AVR/pre-amp, but how it is handled at that point depends entirely on the particular device you are using.
In your case that would be the Denon 4810.
I am not familiar with exactly how the 4810 handles analog audio inputs. Some AVRs will color the sound when you route an anlog signal through it,
some have the ability to route it through mostly untouched, and some will do a analog-to-digital-to-analog conversion.
To get better answers to the questions about how the 4810 handles analog audio,
I would try to find the thread on AVS dedicated to the 4810 and ask there.
post #11151 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ If the Denon is processing the audio in any way it will first need to re-digitize any Analog audio input. And then, AFTER the Denon is done processing it, that has to be converted BACK to Analog for output. That, of course, is done by the DACs in the Denon.

If you bypass audio processing for the Analog input, then the audio stays as Analog, and so the DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) in the Denon are not involved. The only DACs involved are the one's in the OPPO that produce its Analog output.
--Bob

post #11152 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you both for your advice.

@Bob

In non technical terms:

So in order to take the full advantage of the ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC from the 105, I need to use the Pure Direct mode with the 4810 receiver right? That will cut off or shut off all processing mode from the 4810 and now I can listen to the
ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC from the 105.

Does the 105 also got the Pure Direct mode as well? I think it does. Do I need to turn on the Pure Direct mode in order to utilize the
ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC with the 105?

Last edited by mantaraydesign; 06-25-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #11153 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ That's probably right, but I don't know the settings in your Denon, and I've long since given up assuming setting names in Denon products will actually do what the plain English reading of them suggests they do.

In addition to your Denon Manual, you could check in the owner's thread here for your particular Denon model.

Note that by bypassing processing in the Denon for this Analog audio input you are not going to be able to take advantage of things like Room Correction, or Surround Sound modes. Basically you are telling the Denon you want it to act as "just a pre-amp / amp" for that Analog input -- i.e., nothing but Volume control. That's why it can keep the input signal as Analog all the way through (no use of the DACs in the Denon).

Also, if you are wiring the Dedicated Stereo Analog L/R outputs of the 105 for separate listening -- i.e., *NOT* as part of the multi-channel Analog output set -- then in the OPPO you should set Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO. (Do not confuse this "Stereo Signal" setting with the "Down Mix" setting found in the multi-channel Speaker Configuration settings.)
--Bob

post #11154 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

@Bob

In non technical terms:

So in order to take the full advantage of the ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC from the 105, I need to use the Pure Direct mode with the 4810 receiver right? That will cut off or shut off all processing mode from the 4810 and now I can listen to the

Does the 105 also got the Pure Direct mode as well? I think it does. Do I need to turn on the Pure Direct mode in order to utilize the
that is how I have the 105 set up with Yamaha RX-Z9. I run the Z9 purely as an amplifier (that happens to have volume control). I use PURE DIRECT on the Z9 for multichannel (movies) - it lights up green telling me all the channels are being used with no processing. I use PURE DIRECT for stereo using the 2 channel direct inputs on the Z9. This way the 105 is doing the only processing and it sounds great!!
post #11155 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@Bob

In non technical terms:

No. Whenever you are using the analog outputs on the 105 you are using the SABRE32 DAC. Pure Direct mode just turns off the parts of the 105 not needed for audio only, i.e. no video processing is being used, giving you a supposed cleaner audio signal.
post #11156 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks everyone!

I recently bought the Emotiva ERC-3 for 2 channel music. The ERC-3 sounds pretty good but it looks like the SABRE32 DAC from the 105 will sound much better.

I might have to return the ERC-3 back to Emotiva and just buy the 105. I also need to buy a new bluray player as well. So with the 105, I will have both worlds.
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #11157 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am probably going to put my 105 for sale this weekend (along with some interesting enticements). I want to upgrade to the 105D for the DSD upgrade it offers over the 105.
post #11158 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:

@Bob

In non technical terms:

I've got a much older Denon AVR and I'm not certain that Pure Direct/Direct modes ensure that analog inputs remain analog all the way to output. Pure Direct/Direct certainly turn off some processing functions but on my Denon you can choose to keep Audyssey processing active and that takes place in the digital domain. I can find no mention in the manual of how analog inputs are treated, whether they remain analog or they are converted to digital and then back to analog again in the Denon. Your manual may be more informative or you may have to query Denon directly.

There is definitely one quick test you can try, however. In the Auto Setup/Room EQ menu, go to the Direct Mode Setup item and set Room EQ to on. That setting means that Audyssey room correction will be applied in Pure Direct and Direct modes. Then select your analog input from the Oppo, play some music, and while you're doing that turn Audyssey on and off using the remote. If you hear a change in sound with Audyssey off compared to on then Audyssey processing is being applied to your analog input and that means that your Denon is converting the analog input to digital and then reconverting it to analog with it's own DAC. Of course this test assumes you've done the Audyssey setup procedure at some stage.
post #11159 of 14414 Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 18
what's the best way to output mono signal from Oppo105 to all channels?
I have 2 different sets of speakers and I want to feed them same signal from a stereo source.

Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Marantz 8802A, Devialet 1000Pro L/R, NAD M27, SOTM-200
post #11160 of 14414 Old 06-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That would still give you a split stereo signal, right? For example, I would lose the details from Left channel if I connect XLR and RCA to Right Channel. Can the mono signal be achieved which will sum up left and right channel?

Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Marantz 8802A, Devialet 1000Pro L/R, NAD M27, SOTM-200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page