AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1439524-official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread.html)

rdgrimes 05-03-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdr30 (Post 57991738)
Thanks, guys, gonna contact Oppo and check the Wiki page. I'm a creature of habbit and always reach for the eject button when changing discs/files - I use the BDP-105 almost exclusively for audio, it's so good sounding and versatile - so I'm hoping for a fix even if I can use the remote for the task. Very irritating with a small malfunction like this.

Repairs won't be available forever, I recommend getting it done now. If the front panel board is going out the issues can get worse. (There's several little circuit boards in the panel). Anyways, they can swap in a new front panel and have it on its way back to you in a day.

Redrum69 05-03-2019 11:07 AM

Oppo Repair Service

I had/have an issue with the BDP-105D front HDMI input (out of warranty) and contacted Oppo. At the time they were offering a very reasonable flat fee, including shipping, repair service for any issue. Maybe it was $130? You ship it back on your dime, they fix it and ship it back to you for their flat fee.

Personally I decided to not make the repair as I am not using the port. My system got very simple - CD/DVD, Roku, broadcast TV, squeezebox.

I agree that if you want to fix an issue, now is the time.

Jim

KrisRoberts 05-14-2019 06:32 PM

I've enjoyed having my BDP-105 for a while now and just recently started using the rear HDMI input.

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to select the input source from the front panel and on screen menu?!?

I do have the app on my phone and can access the virtual remote and get to the input button that way. But years ago when I programmed the remote codes into my universal I didn't get everything and now I dont even know where the physical remote is any more...

I've looked through the settings/options and dont see anything obvious, but it wouldn't be the first time I missed something like this. Can you select the input without the remote?

rdgrimes 05-14-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisRoberts (Post 58048860)
I've enjoyed having my BDP-105 for a while now and just recently started using the rear HDMI input.

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to select the input source from the front panel and on screen menu?!?

I do have the app on my phone and can access the virtual remote and get to the input button that way. But years ago when I programmed the remote codes into my universal I didn't get everything and now I dont even know where the physical remote is any more...

I've looked through the settings/options and dont see anything obvious, but it wouldn't be the first time I missed something like this. Can you select the input without the remote?

Oppo can sell you a nice new remote: https://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=23

gelly 05-30-2019 07:43 AM

Please help with proper set up Samsung Q60R/Marantz SR7005/ Oppo 105
So I basically just replaced my old LG with a new Samsung Q60R. my current set up is: TV into the Marantz via HDMI into ARC input. And the STB connected into the Oppo via HDMI back. I'm noticing more lip synching problems than usual. Is this the best set up? I don't think the Marantz is capable of producing 4K? Is there a better set up? BTW using FIOS STB. Thanks

gelly 05-31-2019 06:26 AM

Hello, Just bought a Samsung 4k TV. Reconfiguring my set up and now hooking everything into my TV since my AVR doesn't have 4k. So now I'm going to connect my 105 into the TV via HDMI(still ave RCA's into the AVR for CD's and streaming). Obviously i now need to hook up an optical cable from AVR to TV. Do I need to change any settings on the Oppo for 4K or changing to optical cable? Thanks

BillP 05-31-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gelly (Post 58122024)
Hello, Just bought a Samsung 4k TV. Reconfiguring my set up and now hooking everything into my TV since my AVR doesn't have 4k. So now I'm going to connect my 105 into the TV via HDMI(still ave RCA's into the AVR for CD's and streaming). Obviously i now need to hook up an optical cable from AVR to TV. Do I need to change any settings on the Oppo for 4K or changing to optical cable? Thanks

I assume the optical cable between the TV and AVR is for TV broadcasts? You don't need it for playing discs or streaming on your Oppo since the HDMI from the Oppo will carry both audio and video to the TV. And you know the Oppo will upscale DVDs and BluRays to 4k but will not play 4k discs? You can change the video output resolution in the Oppo set-up menu from 1080p to 4k (or you can let the TV do the upscaling).

gelly 05-31-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillP (Post 58123222)
I assume the optical cable between the TV and AVR is for TV broadcasts? You don't need it for playing discs or streaming on your Oppo since the HDMI from the Oppo will carry both audio and video to the TV. And you know the Oppo will upscale DVDs and BluRays to 4k but will not play 4k discs? You can change the video output resolution in the Oppo set-up menu from 1080p to 4k (or you can let the TV do the upscaling).

Yes optical for the STB and the Apple TV. for some reason if leave the Oppo connected to the AVR via HDMI I dont get pic or sound ? Only seems to work if I connect the Oppo directly to the TV.

Shuttlecraft 07-02-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gelly (Post 58123586)
Yes optical for the STB and the Apple TV. for some reason if leave the Oppo connected to the AVR via HDMI I dont get pic or sound ? Only seems to work if I connect the Oppo directly to the TV.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to use the rca ports and associated dac of oppo rather than the Martantz 7009 dac . A newbie having little success and understanding. All rca cables are connected to the 7.1 inputs on receiver only getting 3 channels Fl ,Fr , Cennter ? Talking would be easier if anyone has the time .

Bob Pariseau 07-03-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuttlecraft (Post 58251520)
Hello everyone, I'm trying to use the rca ports and associated dac of oppo rather than the Martantz 7009 dac . A newbie having little success and understanding. All rca cables are connected to the 7.1 inputs on receiver only getting 3 channels Fl ,Fr , Cennter ? Talking would be easier if anyone has the time .

Although you have a 105 instead of a 205, check out a post I made on about page 10 of the 205 Owner's Thread: Notes on Setting Up for Analog Audio Output.

This may give you a starting point on things to check.

You can use the built in Test Tones in the 105 to confirm audio is going out on all 7.1 Analog audio output cables.
--Bob

Shuttlecraft 07-03-2019 08:05 AM

Thank you Bob . I managed to have all speakers work wth test tone ,however, would like more control of speakers that the marrantz offers plus the sound does not seem much different than my previous setup which was hdmi cables using the marrantz 7009 dac ?

Bob Pariseau 07-03-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuttlecraft (Post 58252634)
Thank you Bob . I managed to have all speakers work wth test tone ,however, would like more control of speakers that the marrantz offers plus the sound does not seem much different than my previous setup which was hdmi cables using the marrantz 7009 dac ?

Setting up for Analog audio output is more complicated than setting up for HDMI. I cover a bunch of that in the post I cited for you.

Even when done correctly, the amount of difference you hear will depend upon the content you play, your own critical listening abilities, and, of course, the quality of the other solution you are comparing against (via HDMI).

One thing to be careful of is that higher end AVRs will let you "process" multi-channel Analog audio input. If your Marrantz is doing anything like Crossover processing, or speaker distance adjustment, or surround sound processing, or room correction processing when fed multi-channel Analog audio input, then the Marrantz must first DIGITIZE that Analog audio (so it can be processed), and then convert the processed result BACK to Analog for output. And that last step would, of course, still use the DACs built into the Marrantz.

So for proper comparison, make sure your Marrantz is set to pass through the multi-channel Analog audio input without any processing whatsoever. Just main Volume control.
--Bob

Shuttlecraft 07-03-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau (Post 58253254)
Setting up for Analog audio output is more complicated than setting up for HDMI. I cover a bunch of that in the post I cited for you.

Even when done correctly, the amount of difference you hear will depend upon the content you play, your own critical listening abilities, and, of course, the quality of the other solution you are comparing against (via HDMI).

One thing to be careful of is that higher end AVRs will let you "process" multi-channel Analog audio input. If your Marrantz is doing anything like Crossover processing, or speaker distance adjustment, or surround sound processing, or room correction processing when fed multi-channel Analog audio input, then the Marrantz must first DIGITIZE that Analog audio (so it can be processed), and then convert the processed result BACK to Analog for output. And that last step would, of course, still use the DACs built into the Marrantz.

So for proper comparison, make sure your Marrantz is set to pass through the multi-channel Analog audio input without any processing whatsoever. Just main Volume control.
--Bob

Thanks Bob , I wish oppo still had phone support. O well

Phydeaux 07-13-2019 03:57 PM

Long time reader, infrequent poster of questions, back for more information. I have searched the thread and read every hit that came back but no joy...

My music files are all FLAC format ripped from my own CDs and stored on a NAS in SMB folders with all songs from an album stored in its own folder named as the album title. The tracks are separate files, not a single FLAC for the album. I don't use or have DLNA anywhere. The same folders are also shared via NFS, but I don't think that's relevant.

Using the Mediacontrol 4.03 app for Android, is there a way to choose to play an entire album? Or for that matter even using the internal file browser? Is there a way to select one, then tag another and another etc to form a one-time use playlist? I assume the Oppo can use actual playlist files (I don't have or use any, this is just a curiosity question)...

And on another line of enquiry, how do I make gapless playback work? I understand it should work in my scenario when using the Mediacontrol app - just tap and hold the first song and choose Gapless Play from the pop-up. No workie. There's a two second gap between Speak To Me and Breathe on DSOTM and that just won't do.

Does Gapless Playback rely on something I may have missed when I ripped the CD? I used Exact Audio Copy, which I kind of thought was a bit of a standard, though I'm certainly no expert.

Cheers,
Robert

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Phydeaux 07-18-2019 04:49 PM

Gapless playback seems to work fine from a portable hard disk plugged into a USB port. But I have not found any way to make it work when pulling from an SMB share.

Cheers,
Robert

Phydeaux 07-19-2019 06:00 PM

I figured out what the problem was - it was the 96kHz source FLAC files. The Oppo can play these gapless just fine when they are on a USB attached drive, but not from a SMB share.

Cheers,
Robert

cwchan 07-25-2019 10:15 AM

Preamp function

Hi,

I want to use the oppo 105 as a preamp to my Classe CA2200. This works fine using RCA cables and the dedicated stereo outputs but not the XLR outputs.

Is this a faulty unit or are the XLR outputs only for sending the signal to an actual pre/pro or receiver?

rdgrimes 07-25-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwchan (Post 58339646)
Hi,

I want to use the oppo 105 as a preamp to my Classe CA2200. This works fine using RCA cables and the dedicated stereo outputs but not the XLR outputs.

Is this a faulty unit or are the XLR outputs only for sending the signal to an actual pre/pro or receiver?

The XLR connector pin assignments are in the Oppo manual. Perhaps your Classe uses different pin assignments.
Also make note of the Oppo specs for voltage on the XLR outs and compare to the Classe ratings. I think there should be a dedicated thread around for your amp, where there may well be other Oppo users around who know more about it.

Nevada3 10-28-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmax67 (Post 56733322)
I recently bought this one reccomended by OPPO support for my used 103 where the previous owner didn't have the original factory dongle. Out of stock at Amazon currently but it works perfectly for my 103 and you might be able to find it elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017N6KI8W

Just wanted to update the thread since this replacement wifi dongle has not come back in stock. I purchased this one in October 2019 and it worked on my 105 with nothing needed except to type in my home network password.

EASTECH Ralink RT5370

rdgrimes 10-28-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevada3 (Post 58744824)
Just wanted to update the thread since this replacement wifi dongle has not come back in stock. I purchased this one in October 2019 and it worked on my 105 with nothing needed except to type in my home network password.

EASTECH Ralink RT5370

Just a note regarding the 103/105 WiFi: it's capped at about 54Mbps which is OK for high-res audio, and OK for BD sourced video with compressed audio. But it will fail with BD-audio discs where high-res audio in 5.1 or 7.1 is used.

A much better solution is to connect the Oppo using Ethernet to a "WiFi Extender" that has been placed in client mode. This functions as a WiFi link but does not split bandwidth and will actually deliver Ethernet speeds. I picked up one of THESE at BB and it works a dream. The only tricky part was getting into its web interface and putting it into client mode. I have it set up so it only comes on when the Oppo is turned on.