Resolving black or flickering screen with new bluray players - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 69 Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all-

I had a similar problem that has stemmed up for about two years now. I have a Samsung UN46D6420 HDTV, with a Sony BDV-E780W HTiB, Time Warner DVR Cable box, and an Xbox360. Whenever I had my source on the DVR box, the HDMI (no matter which port) would blink multiple times a minute. This NEVER happens to my Blu-ray or Xbox, and the only other time his happened was when we had Netflix on (which I thought was a different problem due to internet connection.) The only cure to this flickering was to put it on Component, which was advised by multiple people. This worked fine, but I knew I was missing out, so I kept trying to fix the problem. Because of my backround working at BestBuy for two years, I re calibrated my TV and kept messing around the settings, but I had no luck. Finally yesterday, I was able to solve the problem. I did two things, and one of them (and I'm not sure if it was both or just one) made it work.  I went to Samsungs website and downloaded the Firmware T-Gasakuc (version 1031) and put it on a USB and downloaded the new firmware. The one thing I noticed when this blinking happens is an info tab always pops up when it blinks and says (1280X1080 @60hz)  The second thing I did was go into the menu>general>eco-sensor, and I noticed the eco-sensor was in-fact turned on (like everyone else, I hate that pesky little thing and I thought it was off all along). When I turned that off, I switched back to HDMI and no more blinking! So im not sure if the new firmware fixed the bug, if the Eco-sensor was turned back on when the firmware downloaded, or if it WAS on all along, and I turned it off, but it stopped blinking.Now my Sammy 6420 looks as beautiful as the day I saw it on the shelf.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hmmm Glad I found this thread! I just got a Sony 6200 and I have the screen flicker as well when Im on the main Screen or watching Netflix the Video drops out and I get a black screen at random times but constantly---Playing BR disk I get NO flickering. I even called Sony and was going to ship it off tomorrow for a full return lol, I will def try this fix first and see what happens.
post #33 of 69 Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM

Update--I switched from YCBCR 4.4.4 to YCBCR 4.2.2 and bingo all is well! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM

So why is this a an issue with all these newer players, having to go to 4.4.4 to 4.2.2? I was told on another thread of this forum that My HDMI cables were not up to the task although they are brand new from bluejeans cable and they are rated for "High Speed" and said to be Great cables. I did try another new one and same thing and then one of my older HDMI cables I was replacing Just because and it did it as well. Has anyone actually changed or bought a said High speed/quality HDMI cable and have the flickering go away when on 4.4.4?
post #35 of 69 Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Could also be the receiver. Changing HDMI cables is the first step. Bypassing the receiver is the second step if step one doesn't work. I've never had this issue myself.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #36 of 69 Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM

I have posted here in many years but this fixed my problem! I purchased a Sony 3D BluRay player to go with my Samsung LED 55in tv. I bought Frozen in 3D from the UK, popped it in but was upset about the minor flickering during the 3D playback. I switched from YCBCR 4.4.4 to YCBCR 4.2.2 and no more flickering! I also noticed that my screen size wasn't set right. Thanks so much!

Loving MY HDTV...More CH's PLEASE!!
post #37 of 69 Old 06-08-2014, 09:10 PM

You are A W E S O M E !  Thank you beyond words.  I have been pulling my hair out with this flickering issue and you solved it for me.

I changed the setting and it fixed it right away for me.

You are the best.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

post #38 of 69 Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM

I just set up my brand new LG LN5400 HDTV along with a brand new Sony BDP-BX110 Blu-Ray player. I ran new Twisted Veins HDMI plus ethernet (newest standard) cables from the back of the TV, thru the wall, up across my attic, down the wall, and into my blu-ray player. At each point in the walls, I have HDMI outlets that the long (25') cable that runs thru the wall and attic plug into the back, and then have appropriate length cables from the outside of the outlet boxes that plug into the TV and the Blu-Ray player. Meaning the 25' HDMI cable doesn't plug directly into the Blu-Ray player or the HDTV.

At any rate, when I turned on the Blu-Ray player, the splash screen comes up, and then about a minute later, I start getting quick flashes of full screen snow for a split second. This happens every few seconds. Sometimes 1 flash, other times 2 quick flashes in succession. Initially thought it was the cables, but they are high quality ones.

So I found this thread, and proceeded to change the YCBCR settings from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2. It didn't work. I then changed the BD-ROM 24p Output, DVD-ROM 24p Output, and HDMI Deep Color Output from "AUTO" to "OFF", one at a time. And none of the setting changes worked.

The only thing that worked was changing the "Output Video Resolution." I started out at 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. All of these settings eliminated the flicker. It's only when I set it to 1080p that the flicker happens again. So now it's set to 1080i and all's well I suppose. But I don't particularly feel like watching HD video using the 1080i setting.

Incidentally, I plugged the HDMI cable that came with the Blu-Ray directly into one of the HDMI ports (HDMI 2 on the side of my TV), and it worked fine at the 1080p setting? Perhaps bad cables?

Because I made 2 exact HDMI cable runs (one for HDMI 1, and the other for HDMI 2), I tried the Blu-Ray player on each. Same results for each cable.

Does anyone have any idea why it won't work on 1080p?

Here's my actual set up:

LG LN5400 HDTV ---> 3 foot HDMI cable from HDMI 1 on TV to front of HDMI outlet in wall ---> 25 HDMI cable from rear of outlet box up wall, across attic, down wall to rear of HDMI outlet in wall ---> 5 foot HDMI cable from front of HDMI outlet in wall to Sony BDP-BX110 Blu-Ray player.

Thanks everyone,
Cintoman
post #39 of 69 Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Cintoman,

Your symptoms indicate that your long cable runs+connectors are attenuating the high frequencies too much. You might try some HDMI signal boosters. I don't mean a simple amp, but a device which compensates for dispersion and other problems, too.

Something like this might work: http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-B12.../dp/B000N5YF9Y
but you'd have to try it to find out. It's relatively cheap compared to the "right" fix: high quality cables that run directly from the source device to the destination device with no intervening connector plates. There are other, more expensive, devices from other companies which might be better, of course.

An intermediate option would be to replace your long passive cables with active cables: ones which have the HDMI boosters built into them. Monoprice's Redmere cables have a good reputation, but their current models seem to be limited to 10 GHz. 4K video will be requiring 18 GHz. See, for example, http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #40 of 69 Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Thank you Selden. So you're thinking is that if I eliminated all the connecters/plates and the smaller cables, and ran the 25' cable directly into the back of the TV and into the back of the Blu-Ray player, it should potentially resolve the problem?

The reason I had these connectors/plates and separate cables was to make my installation somewhat cleaner, with wall plates and stuff. Versus plugging it into the TV, punching a hole in the wall, running the 25' cable thru, then making another small hole at the other wall, feeding the other end of the 25' cable thru, and plugging it directly into the Blu-Ray player.

Cintoman
post #41 of 69 Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 AM

Cintoman,

Adding connectors and additional cables degrades the signal. I don't know if eliminating them will be enough to fix the problem or not. You might give that a try if it isn't too difficult. One of the problems with thick cables is that they can put significant stress on the connectors of the equipment if the cables aren't carefully supported. They also can tend to pull out slightly, causing intermittent problems. Right-angle adapters are available, which can help in some situations.

Selden

post #42 of 69 Old 08-02-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't know if this is related but, when I watch Alice from a Sony 6200 to a Samsung F8500 (this only happens with 3D) the color temperature keeps flipping back and forth from warmer to cooler.

It's really annoying, I have brand new high speed monoprice cables and I can't figure out any settings on the TV or 6200 that changes it.

Help.
post #43 of 69 Old 11-30-2014, 05:55 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to OP, I bought a new blu-ray player after my old one didn't work. I was trying to set it up with a Epson 8100 projector. Making the change to 4.2.2 finally fixed it. I then ran into an issue with good picture but no sound. I found an obscure setting on the amp where I had previously had it set to output sound to both AMP+TV, after I changed that to AMP only I was good to go.
post #44 of 69 Old 12-27-2014, 11:30 AM

Liked: 0
Smile THANK YOU, gagaliya!!!

Switching my HDMI output from YCBCR 4.4.4 to YCBCR 4.2.2 resolved my problem!

I have a sharp 80" TV with a Bowers & Wilkens sound bar. I was so frustrated to have spent so much on equipment that consistently glitched.

This fixed all of the following...

1) Solid black screen but still active video signal
2) Constant flickering screen
3) Stutter in actual bluray playback (and eventually turning into flickering or black screen).
post #45 of 69 Old 12-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Another round of kudos to the OP for another successful fix.

I just picked up a Sony 6200 and the menu screen was virtually unwatchable due to the massive flicker onscreen.

I returned the unit and exchanged it for another and found it to be doing the exact same thing.

This thread resolved the issue completely...thanks!
post #46 of 69 Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 3781
I have noticed this issue with my Oppo 103D and my Samsung F8500 when using 4:4:4. Since the Darbee processing is done in the 4:2:2 color space in the OPPO, I set it to output using 4:2:2 to keep it simple. The newer tv's keep coming out with higher and higher refresh rates and i wonder if that causes issues too with some blu ray players.
post #47 of 69 Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmvette View Post
Another round of kudos to the OP for another successful fix.

I just picked up a Sony 6200 and the menu screen was virtually unwatchable due to the massive flicker onscreen.

I returned the unit and exchanged it for another and found it to be doing the exact same thing.

This thread resolved the issue completely...thanks!
Just a follow up to my post. I bought a monoprice redmere 18gbps 15' cable and swapped my at-least-10-year-old generic hdmi cable today.

I am pleased to report that the new cable completely resolved the flicker/flash/snow issues my new Sony 6200 BD exhibited on my zt60.

I was able to put the BD settings back to "auto" from 4:2:2 and there are zero performance issues with the picture now. The zt is also now showing the "pure mode 4:4:4" as "on" when the BD movie is playing whereas before it was grayed out because the picture was flickering terribly.

In conclusion, you can change your settings to 4:2:2 to work around this issue as a short term fix but the true solution is to get a quality cable!
RFGuy_KCCO and wkeithsmith like this.
post #48 of 69 Old 01-04-2015, 09:17 AM

Hi, I too joined the forum just so I could thank you Gagaliya. About a year ago, I bought a new TV and installed home theater speakers and a receiver. While I was assembling everything, I dropped the Blu-ray player. It had worked fine when connected directly to the TV but with the new TV/Receiver combination it exhibited the symptoms you describe. I attributed it to the drop and even considered opening it up and trying to solder whatever had come loose. Finally, I decided to buy a new Blu-ray player and - surprise! - it did the exact same thing. Fortunately, I found your post. I had no idea what you were talking about - YCBCR 4.4.4 to YCBCR 4.2.2 - and still don't! But I changed it and it worked. Took the new Blu-ray back and saved myself $75!. Many thanks for your public service.
post #49 of 69 Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 PM

How did you make the switch on the 6200 from YCBCR 4.4.4 to YCBCR 4.2.2? I have been unable to locate this option in the menus. This issue is driving me nut!!! Any help would be much appreciated.
post #50 of 69 Old 01-29-2015, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How do you change from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2

I went into my blu ray player settings and there is no option to change the video output mode, when ever i play a 3d dvd there is constant flashing on the bottom of the screen and I do not know how to fix it any help would be nice
post #51 of 69 Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Covella View Post
I went into my blu ray player settings and there is no option to change the video output mode, when ever i play a 3d dvd there is constant flashing on the bottom of the screen and I do not know how to fix it any help would be nice
I have an older player, BDP-S590, but I believe the video settings are likely to be in the same places in the menu system.

My player is at home but I'm not, so the following is just from memory. A quick Web search didn't locate a picture of the appropriate part of the menu.

On the player's Home screen, scroll to the left to the "toolbox" Setup column. The setting for the video color output formats is down near the bottom of the list of menu items. The menu item names aren't particularly meaningful (other than mentioning "video") so click on each of them to see what options are available.

I hope this helps a little.

Selden

post #52 of 69 Old 01-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Covella View Post
You might look in the thread for your player. Without knowing that, we really can't answer your question.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #53 of 69 Old 02-03-2015, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help! Blu Ray Blackouts and screen flicker!!

I'm completely stumped!

Hardware:
Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu Ray Player (New)
Samsung 32" Series 5 TV (5 Yr Old)
The Equalizer Blu-Ray (2015)

Sin City 2, Planet of the Apes on Blu-Ray work ok. The Equalizer (Sony) does not.

Troubleshooting so far:
Switching from YCBCR 4.4.4 to YCBCR 4.2.2 - no change.
24p Output currently "Off"
Deep Colour Output "Off" or "Automatic" same effect.
Movie Disc plays ok in a Samsung player.
TV changed from "Game" picture mode to "Standard" no change.
Movie Disc blackout always occur at the same place.
Netflix and normal DVD on DMP-BDT230 is ok.
Replaced HDMI cable

Don't know what to do!

Thanks, Flan
post #54 of 69 Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Set audio to PCM instead of bitstream. That might help.
flanwales likes this.

post #55 of 69 Old 02-03-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanwales View Post
I'm completely stumped!

Hardware:
Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu Ray Player (New)
Samsung 32" Series 5 TV (5 Yr Old)
The Equalizer Blu-Ray (2015)

Sin City 2, Planet of the Apes on Blu-Ray work ok. The Equalizer (Sony) does not.

Troubleshooting so far:
Switching from YCBCR 4.4.4 to YCBCR 4.2.2 - no change.
24p Output currently "Off"
Deep Colour Output "Off" or "Automatic" same effect.
Movie Disc plays ok in a Samsung player.
TV changed from "Game" picture mode to "Standard" no change.
Movie Disc blackout always occur at the same place.
Netflix and normal DVD on DMP-BDT230 is ok.
Replaced HDMI cable

Don't know what to do!

Thanks, Flan
Sounds to me like your BDP's firmware has an issue with The Equalizer BD. It happens. An updated firmware may fix it.

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Denon AVR-4520ci / OPPO BDP-103D
DTV HR24-100 / Apple TV (gen3) / Roku Stick / HTPC / Panamax M5400-PM
Rythmik FV15HP's (2) / Klipsch RF-82 ii (L&R) / RC-62 ii (C) / RB-51 ii (FH) / RS-52 ii (SS) / RB-41 ii (SB)
post #56 of 69 Old 02-06-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Setting the audio to PCM resolved by issue. discs now playing fine. Thanks!!!!
post #57 of 69 Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Glad it worked.

S~

post #58 of 69 Old 06-25-2015, 06:03 AM

I have trouble with my Sony bdp-s1200 with all of my HDTVs through HDMI.
The TV said it recieved signal at 720x480 or 480P depend on the TV that I test but there is no picture just blank screen. Except 1 second that it did show player's menu screen when I turn off the player and it show Sony BD player startup screen when I pull the player plug of the socket without properly turn off. Otherwise the tv just show blank screen.
I can not change the BD setting because I can not see the player menu.

Any suggestion ?
post #59 of 69 Old 06-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

You'd be better off asking in the thread for your player:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...bdp-s7200.html

post #60 of 69 Old 07-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Fixed the problem! Thank you sir! Your a great American!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page